Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

QxV

Question

I have attached the pattern that I have done so far and what I actually did. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but it's not turning out the way it's supposed to.Screenshot_20190702-070927_Drive.thumb.jpg.bed4f27addf701ee6b4c99088e1ee2a6.jpg20190701_202202.thumb.jpg.37aa4fd9b2019da6333b92fa6db62a7d.jpg

Edited by QxV
Spelling

7 answers to this question

I am not terribly fond on how this pattern is written.

What are you making?  

When I look just at the pattern I would "assume" you are to work around and not back and forth but this pattern does not say turn nor does it say join with sl st ch1 for next round.  Also I dont like the increase instructions.  I believe when it says inc you will make 2sc into one stitch of the previous row.  Where it says 2 inc you will work 2 sc in each of the next 2 stitches of previous row and 4 inc would be 2 sc in each of next 4 stitches of previous row.

I think it is suppose to be crocheted in the round without turning but I am just guessing here. It sort of reminds me of some of my bag patterns with the increases worked at the sides on the curve of the bag.

11 minutes ago, RecycleCindy said:

I think it is suppose to be crocheted in the round without turning but I am just guessing here. It sort of reminds me of some of my bag patterns with the increases worked at the sides on the curve of the bag.

Thats my guess too.

• Like 1

Agree, it all should be in rounds as the pattern portion posted all says rnd x not row x.  I'm guessing in a spiral as you noted it doesn't say 'join, chain 1 at the end. 

To the OP -

It would be a good idea to mark the first stitch of the round with a bobby pin or similar to keep track of where you are.  Working in an oval can be tricky, because you need to keep track of where you are to get the increases at the 'ends' in the right place, also your piece has colorwork so you want that to come out right.  Actually, I'd mark the first stitch (since it's in a spiral) and the 4 spots where the increases happen for ovals.

Rounds 7, 8, and 9 (all next to each other)  have white stitches, more or less on top of each other.  But there seems to be rows of grey between which shouldn't be, and the number of white stitches doesn't look right (should be 1, 3, and 5, but looks like more).  

On the color changes - the 'looking like more stitches' might be because you are completing a stitch in the same color, before the next color begins.  The optimal way to change color is : on the last grey stitch before a white, don't complete the grey stitch in black yarn.  Switch to white and pull thru the last set of grey loops, then make the white stitch or stitches, and when you are ready to switch back to grey do the same thing - switch to grey and pull thru the last set of white loops.  This makes the colors line up a little better.

Hello guys I tried working this in the round. Things seem more promising but my rounds are still not matching up. I reached out to the person who made the pattern and they basically said that if I knew how the basics of amigurumi I would be able to make this. I'm at a bit of a loss hut I don't want to give up. 

Well that was a snippy and unhelpful answer from the designer.  It is similar to a toy in that it is made in the round in a spiral, but most toys are mad in a circle not oval and most toys don't have colorwork.

Here is a link to another thread here (near the end of the thread) where I gave a generic answer to how to visualize an oval.  Not your exact stitch pattern, but might help for the concept.  

The pattern info you gave in your first post is very well written and thorough.  It has given you stitch counts, which not all patterns do.  Bgs made a comment that she didn't like way the pattern was written, and I see where she is coming from -- the pattern is not wrong, but it IS written for the experienced crocheter who would look at the pattern photo and would know (in general) how it was made before looking at the directions.  It reminds me of vintage patterns, which give just enough into to work it but no frills.

I was not joking about the stitch markers in my post just above yours.  I have been crocheting for decades and if I were doing this, I'd be using stitch markers.  I'd also be counting each round, stopping to check for each side, each row to see that the color design was matching up to what it was supposed to look like per the pattern photo.  The pattern's stitch count numbers are there to keep you on track - use them.  

I know I'm sounding a little stern and waggling my finger at you, but it's meant in a kindly aunt sort of way.  This is not a 'crochet in auto pilot in front of the TV' sort of pattern, you do need to pay close attention to what you are doing.

This is what I ended up with after round 9.  This is different than the generic oval, this one does not have symmetrical increases so really the only stitch marker needed is to mark the first stitch - you can see my bobby pin at the left.

Really, the only thing I can advise is count after each row to make sure you agree with the pattern's total stitch count at that point.  This way, you HAVE to be accurate below the current row, so you can't stray too far before having to rip out.  If you find a miscount, go back and re-count while reading the pattern, know how to recognize increases and you may only have to rip out a partial row.

The only complaint I have with the pattern as written (and this is minor) - rounds 7 and 9 are writing increases unconventionally, "(7sc, inc)x4" for example.  This doesn't conform with US pattern writing standards, where something in parentheses means to do all that in 1 stitch which the pattern clearly didn't mean, and there is no asterisk to indicate a repeat.   "(7sc, inc)x4" should have been written "*7 sc,increase - repeat 4 times..

IMG_0171.JPG

Edited by Granny Square