Needing some help!

StephanieC

Question

Hello again everyone!    

I’m about to tackle a long coat/sweater and I’m stuck on how they’re explaining the major stitch.   If someone could offer some help that would be so great!   I’ve included a photo. DA7BE3AC-DC41-4F17-A709-AFECCF0654A8.thumb.jpeg.11fa230db487d60c209e1d17348f472e.jpeg

10 answers to this question

This is one case where a picture (diagram) is worth a thousand words.  Because the words in this case make sense to someone who has made a crochet cable or post stitch before, but maybe not so much for one who hasn't.  I'm faulting this pattern (a little bit) because (IMO) it isn't wrong, but it could have been clearer.

Have you ever made a post stitch?  A cable, or X stitch?

For making a post stitch, again picture/1000 words - there are a lot of videos out there that show how this is done. There are front and back post stitches, they are made around the body of a stitch in a row below, either around from front to back (the post sticks out toward you as you make it), or around from back to front (the post is pushed back as you make it).  If you alternate rows with front and back post stitches like your pattern, the stitches all stick out on 1 side (presumably the front).

Post stitches can either be made in vertical columns (where you'd work in a stitch directly below), or are made out of order, as in your case.  This is where a video can demonstrate how it's done better than I can write it out.

As I look at this more closely, I'm not sure how to do row 1; is it possible to put a post stitch around a chain??    I think usually on a DC post stitch pattern, the first row would be plain DC, then row 2 would be post stitches around row 1.  Maybe after the chain, make a row of SC as row zero, then put the plain and post stitches of row 1 around the SCs? 

Edited by Granny Square

Did you try the SC row, or figure something out?

Another possibility - I've done doily patterns where certain stitches are done in the back loop, leaving the front loop free, then a row or 2 later you reach down over the fabric and make a tall stitch into that free loop, leaving a raised design.  That's the only thing I can think of, as a way to use the chain, as there are always 1 or 2 free loops on a chain, is to use 1 or 2 loops you didn't use the first time around.  

So, if you want to use the chain not add a row of SCs, I suggest working row 1 into the chain NOT using the back bump, because I think what I'm going to suggest will pull the chain even tighter than the back bump method already does.  With the chain "front" facing you, work the upright DC stitches into the top 1 loop of the chain (this is how I was taught, and continue to use, does not pull tight).  Then when you go to reach forward to make the "/" stitch, work into 1 or both of the free loops of the chain; so it's not exactly a post stitch, just a stitch over the fabric using a free loop like the doily pattern I described.

Hi Granny Square!  

Since this is the first time I’m working with a pattern that uses a graph, it talks about motifs.   This first back piece that I’m working on says it requires 19 motifs.    Does this mean all three rows =one motif?   

Hmm, the word 'motif' usually means (to me, in my pattern encounters), little things that get sewn or crocheted together to make a big thing, and usually made in the round.  Like granny squares, or lace bits that are assembled into vintage style tablecloths or bedspreads. 

Does the coat have a trim that my interpretation might describe? 

On the other hand, I notice your pattern is in Spanish and English, it's not impossible that if the writer were not a native English speaker, to use motif to mean pattern repeat, and it's not an impossible use of the word for a native English speaker.

The only other thing that I can think of, if there is a pattern photo to count the rows of zigs and zags to see if you come up with 19 sets as a sanity check.  Also--see the R to the right of row 2 and 3, that means Repeat (in Spanish too) so it would be a 2 row repeat if it's the zig zag part.  (Row 1 is different because it's worked into the starting chain, or SC in your case)

Your response makes sense to me- and I counted and I think it means the little Vs that the pattern is making.  So far I’m still on the right track!!    Again, thank you SO much for helping!!