Sign in to follow this  
Enderwiggin

Recreating old pattern

Question

I am trying to finish this crocheted blanket that my grandmother started before she passed for my mother. I don't know how to finish this blanket I've never done something this complicated. I am a complete novice to. I just picked up yarn in as close of color, size of yarn, and texture as I could20190629_203929.thumb.jpg.2fe3b4d306d4234d869bf34bec704384.jpg. I would a really appreciate it if you guys would be able to help me. 20190629_201415.thumb.jpg.e25a12ac2b6c8d764108821a042f6b01.jpg

20190629_201401.jpg

20190629_201358.jpg

20190629_201332.jpg

20190629_201257.jpg

20190629_201232.jpg

20190629_194928.jpg

20190629_194921.jpg

20190629_194921.jpg

20190629_194908.jpg

4 answers to this question

This is a classic mile-a-minute pattern, I'm 99.99% certain I've seen it before.  The center colored spines are done in short rows back and forth, then the white round, then the black round probably connects as you go.

I shall return, hopefully with a pattern link...

Edited by Granny Square

This is very similar, the center strips look the same but there's an extra connection round.  

https://www.allfreecrochetafghanpatterns.com/Mile-A-Minute/Floral-Petals-Mile-a-Minute-Afghan

This is the same center strip pattern, does not have the last round as it is a 1-strip scarf, too bad it is a really poor photo 

http://robynscrochet.blogspot.com/2009/02/shelly-mile-minute-scarf-pattern.html

2 ways to do the black round, you could just sc all around and sew together the sides with a mattress stitch, or sc and join as you go all around - take a close look at the original (I can't tell from your photo, but you can poke at it to see how it might have been connected at the sides).  Also, take a look at the original's rounded ends- the black probably had 3 spots, evenly spaced around the half-circle ends, where there were 2 stitches into 1 so it laid flat.

Mattress stitch: if you haven't done it before - there are lots of you tubes out there, there's variations for woven fabric, crochet, and knit.  Basically with right sides facing you, stitch into 1 edge, then the other, working your way up the seam; when you pull it tight you can't see the stitches.

Join as you go - there are a bunch of you tubes out there as well, there are decorative wide ones and subtle ones like yours.  Yours might be something like:  Since you are starting with a black edge already with the already connected pieces, on your first new strip, connect to the spot 1 stitch before where you'd start to connect to the next finished strip, make a stitch in the connect spot, and *sc in the next stitch.  Chain 1, slip stitch into the corresponding stitch in the finished blanket, chain 1; repeat from *, then sc around the rest of the strip.

The bane of mile a minutes is making sure you have the same number of stitches in each strip, so they match up.

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

The bane of mile a minutes is making sure you have the same number of stitches in each strip, so they match up.

Even though I have the same number of stitches I am afraid my strips might not turn out the same length due to my tension varying somewhat each time I stop and start.  I have to really watch and be mindful to come up with same sized potholders so I have avoided the strip ghans.