ibedi1

Gauge swatch uneven

Question

Hello!

I am looking for an article or video or post that would explain why I might have a gauge swatch that is the correct height but too narrow in width. Any recommendations?

Thank you,

Diane 

2 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to the ville!

Width is (in my experience) influenced by the tightness or looseness of our stitch-making.  Height has to do with how far we pull up the loops, which is a little different.

I don't have a link for the tight/loose width part, but here is a video from Crochet Cabana and a blog from Doris Chan regarding stitch height.

I have the opposite problem than you do - I am a 'yanker' on Doris' scale.  Usually height doesn't matter as much as you can often add or subtract rows, but it does make a difference on some things like raglan construction.

6 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Hi and welcome to the ville!

Width is (in my experience) influenced by the tightness or looseness of our stitch-making.  Height has to do with how far we pull up the loops, which is a little different.

I don't have a link for the tight/loose width part, but here is a video from Crochet Cabana and a blog from Doris Chan regarding stitch height.

I have the opposite problem than you do - I am a 'yanker' on Doris' scale.  Usually height doesn't matter as much as you can often add or subtract rows, but it does make a difference on some things like raglan construction.

Thank you, Granny Square! I will check these resources out. :-)