help with cocoon?

irisheyes

Question

I'm about to be a granny and bought a pattern for a stylized cocoon.  I'm not the best crocheter, do it on and off over years, and need some help.  The pattern says use a 5mm  h hook, worsted weight yarn.  I'm using lion brand feels like butta yarn and an h hook. The pattern instructs you to chain 3, make a circle, increasing by 10 stitches each round until at round 6 you are at 60 stitches, then no more increase.  I have looked at other instructions that say the circle needs to be 10 inches across before you stop increasing.  With this yarn and hook I am under 6 inches across, and even with more rows and at 80 stitches around, I'm still under 10 inches across on the circle. I've emailed the pattern writer but not received a response yet, and want to get this done.  Does the pattern sound right, 60 stitches around..will it get wider as it goes up. I have either done something wrong or am misunderstanding something.  Has anyone done these before and can guide me.  They are all double crochet stitches.

3 answers to this question

Everybody has a different stitch tension, so what works for the designer may not work for you.  You may need to use a hook that is several sizes bigger.

Does the pattern give final measurements?  You may need to do some swatching, and calculating the width of 1 of your stitches and multiplying it by the number of stitches you are supposed to have at a point the pattern gives a total measurement for, if that makes sense.

Example, this cocoon pattern gives a gauge of 10 stitches = 4' with an I hook.  The cocoon is 20" in circumference.

Without looking farther ahead, doing the math with the above numbers:  4 inches divided by 10 stitches is 0.4" per inch.  The number of stitches in 20" circumference is 20 divided by 0.4, which is 50 stitches.  And now looking at last round of the cocoon, it is indeed 50 stitches.

There are no gauges in the pattern or how much yarn or much info at all

This is what it called for in materials

Worsted weight yarn- grey, pink and black Hook-5.5mm and 5mm

and this is a sample of the instructions for the cocoon

Cocooon-5mm hook Ch 3 1)DC 10 in 3rd ch from hook join ch 2 (10)

2)2DC in each around join ch 2 (20)

3)2DC in first, 1DC in next, repeat around. Join ch 2 (30)

No measurements, gauges, amounts of any kind.

I am a doofus and it took me some to understand that join ch 2 did not mean to join to a chain stitch, but rather, join, then chain 2 lololol.

I am used to more information when I pay for a pattern, but this was not an Annie's type purchase, and I haven't crocheted a thing in a number of years....so it's been rough going. I ultimately decided to just follow the pattern as we thought the birth would be today! but it has been a series of false alarms, and it didn't occur to me to make a few things  instead of just buying things for the baby till just a couple days ago...see doofus comment above lolol.  Anyhow, it does seem like it's getting bigger, and I hope it all works out. 

Thank you SO muich for your help!!