Blanket pattern

mdkb904

Question

Hey name is Melissa I need help with this pattern.  Row 1: SC into 2nd chain from hook, then SC into each stitch across.
Row 2: Turn, chain 2. DC into 3rd stitch from hook, then DC into each stitch across Row 3: Turn, chain 2. DC into 3rd stitch from hook, then DC into each stitch across Row 4: Turn, chain 1. SC into 2nd stitch from hook, then SC into each stitch across Row 5: Turn, chain 2. DC into 3rd stitch from hook, then DC into each stitch across Row 6: Turn, chain 2. DC into 3rd stitch from hook, then DC into each stitch across Row 7: Turn, chain 1. SC into 2nd stitch from hook, then SC into each stitch across

3 answers to this question

Hi Melissa, what part of this are you having trouble with?  This is a very simple alternating pattern of SC, then DC, repeat, with one tiny oddity.

The thing that caused me to raise my eyebrow is that this pattern is apparently not treating the turning chain of the DC as a stitch, which is atypical.  

"Normally" one would chain 3 at the beginning of a DC row, skip the first stitch, and make a "real" DC into the next stitch - the chain would count as a DC, and you'd skip the first stitch otherwise you'd be increasing a stitch by counting the turning chain and the a stitch made into the first 'real' stitch.  At the end of the current row, if the prior row started with a chain 3 that counted with a DC, you'd crochet into the top chain of the chain 3.

This pattern simplifies all that, and avoids a gap that often occurs with the typical ch3, skip the first stitch.  By not counting the DC turning chain as a stitch, you would be avoiding skipping the first stitch and stitching into the turning chain if the row below is DC.  This pattern treats the turning chain like the turning chain in SC, in other words.  It will make the sides slightly 'wavy', which is rather decorative.

Does that make sense?  Or if that wasn't your question, could you elaborate?

Not as this pattern is written.  And you would not normally make fewer SC than DC (or DC + turning chains that count as DC) in an alternating pattern like this--assuming the blanket is a rectangle. 

Remember the 'normal' scenario I described above kept the stitch count the same by counting the turning chain as a stitch, and skipping the first stitch of the row below.   The stitch count should be the same, which it would be in either the 'normal' way or this pattern's way of not counting the turning chains for both SC and DC as a stitch.  I hope that makes sense?

I suggest you stick with the way this pattern is written, it's simplified way of handling turning chains is actually a little 'easier' than the normal way IMO to just stitch in every stitch, not count any turning chains as stitches, and avoiding having to SC into a turning chain at the end of a row worked over a DC row (which which began with a turning chain that counted as a DC) to keep the stitch count the same.  

Edited by Granny Square