Newbie question-not joining sc

KDC

Question

Hi, I’m new to crocheting and I can’t figure out a part of the pattern. It says on the instruction for a leg (directly from creating the body, 36sc):

rnd 1: sc in next 18sc, leave remaining sc unworked; do not join, place marker to indicate beginning of rnd: 18sc

rnd 2: sc in each sc around 

My questions are: 1: how do you leave remaining sc unworked? Do I leave the 18th sc unworked?; 2: do not join what?; 3: place marker at the beginning or after the 18th?; 3: How do I start round 2? Is it after the 18th sc? 

I hope the above made sense. I attached a screenshot of the (partial) pattern. Thank you all in advance! 

image.jpg

4 answers to this question

This thing has REALLY short legs!

One way to make legs from the body down is to transition from the body which is an oval 2 legs wide more or less, to a sort of figure 8 looking thing, where each leg is half of the 8--in other words, work 1 circle of the 8 is 1 leg, the other circle is the other leg.

The pattern could have elaborated a bit more, but I think what is meant is: from the old beginning of the round to the 18th stitch is half the body (if my guess is right), and the next row over those 18 stitches is the first row of the leg.  To "leave remaining sc unworked" you just stop short of them

The next step (rnd2)  would be to reach across (the, um, crotch)  to the original first stitch of the round, and work around those same 18 stitches - half of the figure 8.  Round 3 is also around those same 18 stitches, adding toes.  This would leave the bottom of the foot open. 

The second leg would be made using the (presumably) 18 stitches that you didn't use for the first leg, made in the same way.  Make sure you start in the right place and both sets of toes are facing the same way (don't ask how I'd know to give that sort of advice, ahem).

Could you link to the picture of the finished thing?  Sometimes looking at that can answer a lot of questions.

At this point looking down on your work you basically have a 0 shape with 36 stitches but you are transitioning to this 8 shape with 18 stitches in each loop of the 8. 

Do the 18 sc and skip the next 18 by pinching the piece together so you can work into the first stitch of the 18.  It is wanting you to do continuous rounds working sc into sc not the sl ch 1 then sc method of joining which is why you need the stitch marker to keep track of your round.