Sunshine023

Counting stitches

Question

I am a beginner and trying to learn how to interpret crochet terminology and techniques. I have a round # 2 that reads: * SC 3, sc 2 in the next st; rep from * 3 more times. (20 sts)

I think it's saying to single crochet 3 then 2 single crochet in the same spot (next stitch) and repeat 3 more times after the initial one for a total of 20 stitches. My question is by doing this, does the Sc 3 count as 3 individual stitches? Also does sc 2 in the next equal 1 stitch combined or 2 individual stitches? For example  (sc 3 X 3 more times = 9 + first round of 3 sc =12) and (sc 2 in the next= 4 stitches) so 12+ 4=16 but doesn't equal the 20 stitches as shown in round #2. I hope I'm not confusing everyone with the math.  

Edited by Sunshine023
Forgot to check for notification

5 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Sunshine023 said:

I am a beginner and trying to learn how to interpret crochet terminology and techniques. I have a round # 2 that reads: * SC 3, sc 2 in the next st; rep from * 3 more times. (20 sts)

I think it's saying to single crochet 3 then 2 single crochet in the same spot (next stitch) and repeat 3 more times after the initial one for a total of 20 stitches. My question is by doing this, does the Sc 3 count as 3 individual stitches? Also does sc 2 in the next equal 1 stitch combined or 2 individual stitches? For example  (sc 3 X 3 more times = 9 + first round of 3 sc =12) and (sc 2 in the next= 4 stitches) so 12+ 4=16 but doesn't equal the 20 stitches as shown in round #2. I hope I'm not confusing everyone with the math.  

That would be one sc in each of the next 3 stitches and each counts as a stitch (3 stitches).  Now work 2 sc into the next stitch and both count as stitches (2 stitches).  So now we have 5 stitches total.  Then it tells you to work this sequence of stitches 3 more times so 5+5+5+5= 20

It is a shorthand way of saying sc 3, sc 2 in the next st, sc 3, sc 2 in the next st, sc 3, sc 2 in the next st, sc 3, sc 2 in the next st, sc 3, sc 2 in the next st

^ What she said.  If it tells you to do a number of stitches and doesn't specifically say where to put them, it normally means 1 stitch into 1 stitch.

This site is a good one for beginners, it has all sorts of useful info. https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards  See main menu on the right, "crochet patterns, how to read" and lots of other good stuff.

...and welcome to the 'ville!

On 6/12/2019 at 8:26 AM, bgs said:

That would be one sc in each of the next 3 stitches and each counts as a stitch (3 stitches).  Now work 2 sc into the next stitch and both count as stitches (2 stitches).  So now we have 5 stitches total.  Then it tells you to work this sequence of stitches 3 more times so 5+5+5+5= 20

It is a shorthand way of saying sc 3, sc 2 in the next st, sc 3, sc 2 in the next st, sc 3, sc 2 in the next st, sc 3, sc 2 in the next st, sc 3, sc 2 in the next st

Thank you so much this makes sense ☺️

On 6/12/2019 at 10:34 AM, Granny Square said:

^ What she said.  If it tells you to do a number of stitches and doesn't specifically say where to put them, it normally means 1 stitch into 1 stitch.

This site is a good one for beginners, it has all sorts of useful info. https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards  See main menu on the right, "crochet patterns, how to read" and lots of other good stuff.

...and welcome to the 'ville!

Thank you the website you provided is so helpful