Ames

Long single crochet

Question

Hi,

please help

I got a pattern for a 1940s headband and its American instructions.

It states ‘drawing loop out about 1/4 inch long, ch 3 to turn. The next row and each following, make 1 long sc, ch 2, until piece measures 9 inches.’ 

What does make ‘the next row and each following, make 1 long single crochet mean please? If it was stitch but I’m confused.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Ames

3 answers to this question

Thank you, unfortunately it wouldn’t fit the item but thank you for getting back 😊

Posted (edited)

Sometimes vintage patterns can be imaginatively ingenious and tell you to do stuff you may not find in a stitch dictionary.  What you quoted describes exactly how to make the stitch, it's a tall very loose/loopy sc followed by 2 chains, repeating in subsequent rows (long loose scs in the scs in the below row, with chains between).  This would make a very open, net sort of fabric. 

I learned to crochet ages ago with 1940s (and older) doily books, and learned when the pattern said something that sounded weird, to follow it exactly, at least for a short while; 99% of the time I learned a cool new thing that I couldn't imagine 'working' in my head.  Have you tried doing exactly what it says?

Does this happen to be a free pattern on the 'net?  If so, it's OK to post a link (just don't scan and post the whole pattern here, that's not allowed), maybe seeing the finished photo of the item might give a clue.  Do the stitches look long and loopy?

Or...it sounds like it would almost come out almost the same if you made a tall stitch, instead; would be more solid than loopy.  

Edited by Granny Square