Jackmeister

Pinwheel doily question

Question

I’m still new at crocheting doilies... Typically they ruffle like they’re too big, not cupping like they’re too small. Is this normal for a pinwheel pattern? 

1C58F077-8409-4533-BDCD-BF15ECE34BE3.jpeg

3CE2E0D6-7927-4594-A9CC-DCD2B6AD22D8.jpeg

46 answers to this question

It cupping again!! 😥

would that block out? I’m only using pins in cardboard. What blocking/stretching method are you using?

image.jpg

I think it will, it looks slightly less 'bad' than mine was.

My blocking method is similar, except I use a 'presentation board' that I got at Michael's long ago; it's .5" thick paper covered foam, 20x30 inches.  And very important, rust proof pins that I think I found at Walmart.  I have created different paper templates for blocking at various angles that I've re-used so much the dampness (in spite of covering with plastic wrap) has made them all wavy.  

The templates are polar graphs that I make by hand (I still have my protractor and compass from my 5th grade geometry class in the middle of the last century, lol!).  Tape together letter size paper to sufficient size.   Draw a line mid way across the paper, or use the taped seam as a center line.  Find the center of the line (a yardstick is something I couldn't live without).  Mark the angles with the protractor; for 8 divisions, angles would be 45°, 90°, 135° from the center (of course also the 0/180° line that you originally drew) , then turn the protractor upside down and mark the same angles on the underneath side.  Draw lines connecting the dots, bisecting the center.  With the compass, draw some circles about 1 or 1.5 inches apart, from the center with the compass (I just eyeballed; when pinning out sometimes it works to pin to a circle line, sometimes I eyeball 'pin a quarter inch below the fourth circle' or whatever). 

For actual final blocking, I wet thoroughly and spray generously with spray starch, and squeeze the excess before pinning.  Since you are worried now, you could very roughly dry pin it to shape - that's what I did on mine in process when I said I wasn't worried 'because it blocks out'.  I wasn't kidding when I  mentioned 'medieval torture rack' earlier, I didn't measure but I probably added a couple of inches to the diameter when I blocked mine.

Edited by Granny Square

I ended up taking a 3 rows out to add an extra chain stitch to reduce the cupping... I’ll be happy to torture this doily upon completion! 

I have been putting the doily with a load of laundry and pull it out before going in the dryer. Using that moisture I pin it to the cardboard box without adding any more to it. The first doily I was able to stretch with no issue, the second probably needed more stretch than I put on it. But I was afraid the cardboard wouldn’t be strong enough to hold the pull from the pins. This one will need a good torture rack to get a good stretch. Since I’m new to doilies (and blocking) I figured get an inside opinion on the best method for full stretching on these. Here’s what I found on amazon that I’m considering buying, I’d like your opinion on it.

14A96AD8-C74C-45E4-83BC-AC3A7CC85382.jpeg

C3DD8429-8C58-468C-A0C3-5328C1AD81F0.jpeg

The size is good; just 1 is bigger than my blocking board, and there are 9 of them!  These would be good for blocking a shawl too, or heck even a bedspread.  All laid out could carpet the average non-master bedroom, with a 6" edge around!

Questions I'd have: 

1) are the pins rustproof?  If not , wouldn't be a deal breaker because pins aren't horribly expensive I guess.

2) what are the boards made of?   Mine is very dense/rigid foam and holds the pins quite sturdily against a lot of stretch pressure.  I have read where people use floor mats, which I've never used but I'd wonder if they'd be 'stiff enough', since they're much softer, I'd think they'd allow the pins to bend -- not the metal bending, but if you stuck the pin in at an angle / would it end up | or even \ with the strain of being pulled against a much squishier material than the rigid foam I use.  My pins don't budge.

Comments:

It's interesting they have multiple SIZED polar graphs.  And presumably the markings wouldn't rub off or dissolve if they got wet, so you don't need to waste plastic wrap.  

From what I can see it's all 90° angles, which is too bad--but also not a deal breaker, you could still make paper templates for other angles and use plastic wrap too.  

I personally might buy 1 if they were sold individually as I rarely need more room than 20x30" but that's me.  I don't block garments beyond 'lay flat to dry', so wouldn't need so many, but if someone made lacy wool shawls, or cotton tablecloths or curtains the set would make sense.  

Yes the pins are rust proof, the mats claim to be a durable foam... not sure how ridged they are. one user did claim it to have some self healing properties. The advantage is they are 12” individually and can be assembled as needed depending on the project  

Here’s the link if you’d like to check it out. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KCHHHRQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_

i was debating on the one made for blocking or just getting a large cork board. I was going to draw on fabric to cover the cork so the pins and water don’t mess it up over time. 

Edited by Jackmeister
Update

Ooooh, each square is 12" not 36", that makes a LOT more sense.  That's a good size.

I would be worried about getting cork anywhere near water.  A fabric cloth is going to get wet and you' have to take it off and make sure it and the cork are entirely dry before putting it away  (you would have to use plastic over both too of course when blocking).  Plus, how does cork compare $$?  Water leaks thru the pinholes in my plastic wrap cover, not great rivers but enough to probably be bad for cork.  My paper polar graph templates are drawn in pencil because I was afraid ink would get wet thru the pinholes and stain the doily.  

The mats seem to have mostly positive reviews, it seems a little expensive BUT my board is not the same 'stuff' and is smaller -- it is this item.  

https://www.michaels.com/elmers-0.5in-foam-board-20in-x-30in/10103358.html

I didn’t think about the moisture with cork board, (brain was thinking it works for wine 😜) but it’s pretty cheap without the frame. For the fabric, I was going to get the super strength sharpie marker and run it through the washer to avoid bleeding. Or an iron on 🤔 ... ooh, draw on the adhesive side of stiff pellon, then iron it to the fabric. Bleeding contained! (in theory) 

I was also considering making my own round doily torture rack. Hooks around a hoop and some way to pull it open. But do doilies stretch okay by only pulling the outside border, or do they block better with 2-3 rounds of pins (depending on size of course)? 

Im starting to like the collapsibility of that amazon option. Just debating if it’s worth $30, or the time to assemble alternate ideas/inventions. 

Ha ha, wine bottles didn't occur to me.  Actually I was thinking in addition to mold or whatever, I've seen cork boards and wine corks crumble somewhat on occasion.

Yes I have had some doilies that I pin midway as well as the edge to improve the look a little - depends on the pattern.

Re: using fabric templates;  Can you iron the pellon onto paper, I wonder?  Would be easier to plot on paper than on fabric that can move around or stretch, or on sticky stuff I'd guess.  I have to confess I've never used it - is is thick enough to be hard to pin into?  Would repeated pinnings make it less usable after a few times?  (just random wonderings)

I'm trying to imagine how your hooks around a hoop would work.  In addition to maybe wanting to pin something in the middle...each doily is going to be a different (average) diameter (I have doilies strewn around my house from 6" to 36"), and and have a different # of spots you'd need to pin, and often different pin points will have different distances from the middle (come to think of it, I can only think of one perfectly round doily I've made, the rest had irregular lacy edges to some degree).  I just looked at the pinwheel doily we've been talking about, and I think I pinned it in 48 spots, not counting that I just remembered I pin every doily to the very center spot first so it stays centered on the template.  But the doily I made right before this was in 7ths that morphed to 28 points (so, completely different angles than the pinwheel), and I think I pinned it in 56 spots plus the middle.  Oh...and what about oval and other-shaped doilies?  I'm thinking a board would be more versatile.  Also I'm not imagining any sort of 'hooks' I'd consider using to stretch my doilies...pins seem more versatile, as you can make more choices of where best to stick a pin without the edge looking 'yanked' at that spot.  I occasionally put more pins than the bare minimum to distribute the tension (depends on the pattern).

Maybe this is obvious, but when I pin a round doily I usually start with spots directly across (or almost directly if you have odd number of segments).  This way you can adjust to the right spot on the angle lines between the concentric circles for the right 'torture diameter' with the first 2 pins usually, better than starting in 1 spot and working around.  So north then south, east then west, and THEN around the remainder to the same diameter mark.  Also probably obvious, but I angle the pin heads away from the center so they don't pull out depending on the torture needed ;) .

Earlier when I linked to the board I'm currently using, I found a bigger folding version that's much bigger (36x48) than my present one (20x30).  Not sure I need it as I've managed up to now, but FYI.  I wonder if it easily lies flat for pinning?  I suppose you can encourage it by weighing the fold edges down with something...not as compact or portable as the 1' pieces in a tote, but wouldn't take up much room against the back wall of a closet.

https://www.joann.com/elmer-s-36inx48in-foam-tri-fold-display-board-1pk-white/7638380.html#q=elmer%2Bpresentation%2Bboard&start=1

Edited by Granny Square

I’m mostly making round doilies, still counting the ones with “scalloped” edges. In theory the hooks will be of variable distances to clip to the doily then pulled to the correct tension.  The hooks won’t be attached the the hoop so they can be used where needed for as many or as few as needed. It’s still in the plotting stages of the brain and having adjustments made thanks to our conversation. I think I’ll still get the mat from amazon, then continue to develop the doily torture device. I’ll make a new sthread when that gets started to share the different versions. 😊

I did a dry stretch to see if the edge cupping will disappear. I’m seeing a few chain stitches that are extra strained that I’ll have to go back a few rows to relieve some pressure. 

image.jpg

It does look like a starfish!  The color probably helps a little.  Reminds me of an octopus too--the closest I've been to a live one of those, DH and I went along for the ride when my BIL went 'fishing' on the Hood Canal (Washington state).  He hooked an octopus probably a little bigger than "yours" , that thing really MOVED to get out of the boat LOL.  

Edited by Granny Square

Are you going to stop at that spot (the "flower row") too?   After typing that I don't see a thread attached, so I'm guessing yes.  Your sister will love this!

That’s weird... I typed a response but apparently forgot to post it. Or my phone was being weird and lost it in process...

Yes, I decided to stop at the edge of the flowers.  I’m personally not a fan of that much filler chain stitches. I think she will love it too. ☺️  Thank you for all your help with this annoying doily.