Mother's Day Gift

cardgunner

Question

8 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Does she subscribe to crochet magazines?  Are you in the US?  Crochet World and Crochet! are 2 that she might be interested in; they have the same parent company as Annie's Attic. If you get her a digital subscription, I believe you also get access to the archive of the prior 2 years' magazines; this may also apply if you subscribed to the paper version. 

Interweave Crochet is another one, I'm not sure about digital archives though.

Crochet World is 6x per year; this is the only one of the 3 that I ever subscribed to of these 3, and I have the impression that it gears more to blankets and household things than the other 2, which lean more to clothing items.  The other 2 are published 4 times per year.

Links:

https://www.crochet-world.com/

https://www.crochetmagazine.com/

https://www.interweave.com/crochet/

Cardgunner: You are so thoughtful to think of your wife in such a loving way!

Something I would love as a gift is a wood or ceramic Yarn Bowl, or a Yarn Bag in my favorite color. There are also beautiful handmade crochet hooks to choose from. What gal wouldn't love something like these?

PS: I only chose Amazon.com for reference because they have 2 day shipping if you are a Prime member.

Edited by ReniC

2 hours ago, ReniC said:

Cardgunner: You are so thoughtful to think of your wife in such a loving way!

Something I would love as a gift is a wood or ceramic Yarn Bowl, or a Yarn Bag in my favorite color. There are also beautiful handmade crochet hooks to choose from. What gal wouldn't love something like these?

PS: I only chose Amazon.com for reference because they have 2 day shipping if you are a Prime member.

Thank you. Do you have any of these ideas? Are the hooks worth it, wow $36? 

Ooh, yarn bag, great idea if she doesn't already have one.  I have an ancient one one similar to one of the ones on your link--on the right, second row (Art bin needle arts caddy), but it's just a bag, no organizing pockets like this one).   But, if mine bit the dust I'd probably pick one that you could close, and keep closed while not in use; I'd pick one with lots of pockets and cubbyholes to hold/organize hooks and 'stuff' that goes along with the craft.

Personally, I wouldn't pick a fancy hook, or a hook set out for someone unless I knew her crocheting style.  2 main considerations:  the shape of the business end of the hook (in-line or tapered), and the way the crocheter holds the hook (overhand or pencil grip).  The hook that ReniC picked is lovely, but it is an inline hook and made for an overhand grip - and may be perfect for your wife or may be something she never uses because she prefers tapered hooks and has a pencil grip.  (For a crocheter using the 'wrong style' is almost like trying to write with their left hand if they're right handed - really awkward.)

A yarn bowl is a great idea (I don't own one, but I'd use one if I were given one).

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

I second the Ottlite. I have a floor model behind my chair. It has a shelf and usb port for holding/charging my tablet and phone (perfect for those digital magazine subscriptions Tampa doll mentioned.)

Edited by ratdog

17 hours ago, cardgunner said:

Thank you. Do you have any of these ideas? Are the hooks worth it, wow $36? 

I don't have the Furl's hooks, but, everyone I spoke to that has them loves them. Personally, I would only try one simply because of price. Check out what is currently being used by your wife and go similar. I use the Clover Amour hooks exclusively. Helps with the arthritis immensely. I do use a wood yarn bowl. My husband made mine and I love it. It keeps the yarn balls and skeins in one spot and not rolling all over the floor or in a large basket. I use a yarn bag too. Great for traveling and organizing projects and equipment. If all else fails on decisions, get a gift certificate to her favorite yarn/craft store.