Trying to figure out this pattern

neufala

I want to make this pattern, but when it gets to row 3 It seems to me that there are not enough stitches to allow the row to be formed. I am fairly new to crochet so any help would be great. Also the instructions frequently notate dc in next 2dc, which I am unfamiliar with, in row 2 I can only make it work with stitch number if I do instead (dc2 in next dc) instead of dc in next 2 dc which i think means dc in 2 next stitches.... In row 3 I  run out of stitches as the pattern is written the way i interpret it, you would need Anyways, let me know if I am just not understanding what the instructions are saying or if they are confusing/ incorrect.

Row 1: Ch 5, join with sl st in first ch to form ring, ch3 ( counts as dc). 2dc. ch2. 3 dc in ring, turn. ( 6 dc)-- seams straight forward

row 2: Ch3 (counts as dc), 2dc in same st, dc in next 2dc, (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in next ch-3 sp, dc in nest 2 dc, 3dc in last dc, turn. ( 14 dc) --Also good

Row 3 Ch 4 (counts as dc and ch 1 ), dc in same st, ( ch1, skip next dc, dc in next dc) 3 times, ch1 , ( dc, ch2, dc) in ch-2 sp, ch1, dc in next dc, ( ch1, skip next dc, dc in next dc) 3 times, ch1 , dc in same dc, turn. -- Not sure how this is supposed to fit

The rest of the pattern is on

https://downloads.lovecrafts.com/pdf/15b1050bdc88de4f008bbe44266c1cbb06059714.pdf?Expires=1556172051&Signature=PmmwlXZwymNm5pbQU4y0Y3rui51RkvsMGhVDtfyRqHAU-a--WVpuosL3Nf1qCMnLJvlNP017K~coDDpt6AkFk3NPNCeaV5II-7mgWL3TC7hBeSzyBeFc~nLS6YHmb64OoJPEzfMKsX3WniekZnJ8P53SkIPRM4-eDSv4ymnH55yYDwIWcRrpDUN8bn7mIazkbrTIov9SBj02fZtBT4KKrZoSaI3FU6CtMJ4EwS7HgEGPk6OTgt6NH9PTD3L8Ul6qS6xxDSgTSgtCEGbxZgTnAABPsz5JIh9FglvxknetNg9HeIkzFQpGFr7LsyL2JNoj8tj1g9tAuGeltFC1oGPRYw__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIBW2GKAJU2YWZVLA

It's a free pattern, but I don't understan what they are trying to get me to do. Any help would be great

The link is not working for me.  l worked the first three rows and it looks like you are working on a shawl.  

Row 3 Ch 4 (counts as dc and ch 1 ), dc in same st,

( ch1, skip next dc, dc in next dc) 3 times,    [I suspect that you did not do the instructions in () THREE TIMES]

ch1 , ( dc, ch2, dc) in ch-2 sp, ch1, dc in next dc,

( ch1, skip next dc, dc in next dc) 3 times,   [I suspect that you did not do the instructions in () THREE TIMES]

ch1 , dc in same dc, turn. 

Yeah you're right, I miscounted the ch1 skip next dc, dc in next dc instructions, and that messed up the next row. It's really easy to loose count on this thing, but I guess practice will help.

Thanks

Tristan

After you get into the rhythm of it you might not even have to look at the pattern.  My eye often misses things so I know if things dont seem right to go back and very carefully go over it again.  On some patterns I have to rewrite the pattern so my mind can follow it-----breaking down the instructions for a row or round into smaller sections per line.  

I would love seeing a photo when you finish.  

Me too.  I print out patterns because I always scribble on them.  If one line is especially convoluted / I usually don't actually re-write / but pencil-in slash marks between the relevant chunks / so it doesn't all run together.  I've occasionally stitch diagrammed a line of a doily that was complex or asymmetrical.

I will try to upload a pic when I'm done, whenever that will be :). Does anyone have tips for getting correct stitch counts. I like doing this while watching tv and often loose count, when I go back and count, I end up with ex: 24 dc's on one side and 22 on the other (it's a symmetrical pattern), resulting from a previous stitch what was a bit tighter than the others so i miss it. Then I usually have to remove the whole row and restitch to find the bugger. I don't know, it's just a bit of an annoyance and it slows me down.

Oh and here is a pdf of the pattern I'm using, I'm not sure if I'm going to use the accent on the edges and I'm using 8 different solid color yarns, we'll see how it ends up coming out.

Tristan

15b1050bdc88de4f008bbe44266c1cbb06059714.pdf

Slow down, the end goal is not a checkered flag but a nice looking finished object.

Focus on keeping your stitches even; having some 'ok' and and some so tight that you can't see them so you skip over them by accident is not only causing you to make errors or have to make stuff up, it's not going to look as nice.  

Some patterns just require stopping to count every so often.  Don't think of it as slowing you down, think of it as necessary quality control.  Looking at the pattern photo, with every third row of having evenly spaced open areas over a small number of stitches, it should be VERY easy to 'eyeball' if the stitch counts are right. 

And if you find an error, rip and re-do.  Yes.  Really.  It's part of the process, and you'll be much happier with your shawl in the end.  

Oh yeah I was suspecting that was going to be the only way-- to go slower. Oh and trust me, I'v been working on this for a few days now, and after ripping the whole thing apart about 4 or 5 times I'm finally happy with my first 12 rows. Lets hope I don't have to rip apart one of the last rows cause of a mistake, that would be a lot of work to rip out.

I do the same thing-----watch tv and lose count.  Its important to count at end of each row so you catch the problem then and not several rows later.  Advice I still sometimes fail to follow only to find myself having to pull out several rows on an afghan.  Sometimes I feel like I have pulled apart more stitches in my lifetime than I have successfully completed

Bgs, me too on the ripped stitches; I'm sure I've said a few times here that if I had a magic wand and could "presto reappear-o" all my ripped stitches, I'd have enough yardage to slip cover my house.  

Neufala, glad you've got it to where you're happy with it, hang in there.  It's a good idea to stop and admire your work every few rows so you don't get TOO far past an error that creeps in.

Thanks for the help everyone! 

BGS Me being new to this, I have certainly ripped out more stitch than I have successful.

And Granny Square, I plan to keep with it , and I  am counting every row now.  it is certainly worth counting vs re crocheting. Ripping out more than one row is kinda saddening. :( but I will  get through it! Onward and upward!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so the mistakes I'v made don't make the project look much different, but it's bugging me that I'v had trouble to predict how many stitches the next row in the pattern should have. It seems that last row +4 should yield the stitch count but drawing it out it never works, the chain space row should be (stitch)/2 +2. I aparently can't count or can't do math, one of the two or maybe I'm just crap at drawing. In the end  I will have shawl that is after steamed flat, but as I said this bugs me. I'm about 1/2 trough the project and it's looking pretty good despite the flaw or two every few rows, but if you know  how the pattern row count formula should be let me know because it's kinda annoying me. 
Starting from the beginning I get 6, 14( as is the pattern), 12,38 24, 54... I may be wrong but when I write it down that's what I get. This is on paper, I don't have a program, and after that I'm getting weird numbers. Hence I can't draw right maybe. 
It just bugs me that I don't have a formula to predict the next row DC count. If anyone can help me with this pattern I would appreciate it but don't take a bunch of time , I'm gonna finish my shawl with mistakes or not. 

Edited by neufala

One thing that caught my eye in your above post is "predict the next row DC count"; since every third row has open meshes, you need to count the chains between DCs as well on that row.  Except the 3 turning chains which count as 1 DC.

Let's look at the construction.  You are making half of a square.  Rows begin and end on the long side,.  You are making a 3 row repeat of rows 4, 5, and 6.  Increases happen in 3 places on each row: each end (long side), and at the middle (right angle turn).  The rest is just straightaway, where nothing increases; each row the straightaway gets longer, but the ADDITIONS happens at each end and the turn, 

Let's analyze what the action is for those stitch addition spots:

Each end adds 2 stitches.  When you make 3 stitches into 1, that adds 2.  In row 6, which is the row with the chains,  the beginning "ch4, DC in same stitch" is 3 stitches into 1 (3 of the chains=1 DC, the 4th counts as a chain, then a real DC).  The end of row 6 (DC, Ch1, DC) in the last stitch adds 2 stitches, a DC and ch1.

At the 90° angle end, each row adds 4 stitches.  The corner turning scheme is (2DC, ch2, 2DC) into the ch2 of the corner below, so the ch2s 'cancel each other out (don't add a stitch) but the 2+2DCs add 4. For row 6 with the chains, the scheme is the same but including chains in the mix: "ch1, (DC, ch2, DC), ch1".

So end 2 + middle 4 + end 2 should add 8 stitches each row, counting the chains.  

Edited by Granny Square

Ok, that makes sense. I had a row that I thought I did right only to find that at the end I'm 2 DC's off... time to rip out 200+ DC's ugh. I need to check my work more often so that doesn't happen any more.

You are not alone.  I have used a particular shawl pattern 4 times now.  Sometimes I breeze through and other times I manage to put a stitch in the wrong space.  I get to the end of that row or the next and realize its off.  Can not tell you how many of those longest rows I have had pull out and redo.  And the last one I did I kept screwing up on the same very long row over and over.