Border help

Foxrocs

Question

5 answers to this question

Are you unhappy with edge you added at the back of the garment?  I find it pretty tricky working along the side edges of my work because you are having to pick and choose where to work your stitches and figure out just how many stitches to make it work. Cant tell you the times I get too many stitches along a side and have to pull it out and try again with fewer stitches. Its hard because at this point you want to work a stitch into each space (at least I do because I think it looks neater) when in reality to lay flat you may only put a stich in every other space or stitch in two spaces skip one space.  For me its just been trial and error.  Maybe Granny Square will check in and have some hints.  I learn a lot from her when she answers people requests for help.

On the yellow in the body section that meets the vertical grey edging, which I know is not the ribbing, but just throwing this out there - in general when I need to work color A (grey) edging into the sides of stitches in color B (yellow), I first make 1 row of sc in color B ( so yellow stitches into the sides of yellow stitches).  When you work into the sides of stitches it's not very tidy, which looks  worse if you work a different color into the sides, but isn't very noticeable when it's all the same color.  THEN I'd add the grey - this way you are making stitches into tops of stitches which makes a cleaner line.  In your case, maybe the first yellow row in the sides should be slip stitches, so a little less tall.

I'm really not seeing anything wrong with the ribbing itself. This is post stitch ribbing, right?  It looks like it should to me.  I think they (in general, not yours) look a tiny bit ajog because of the way they are made around another stitch

Or do you mean, like in my first paragraph, the transition between yellow and grey, which is sort of tiny vertical grey lines poking into the yellow?  That's the same look you'd get on the sides if you did what I said in my first paragraph.  That's normal.

The only thing I can think that might sort of mitigate the transition, and be a little decorative is is doing surface slip stitch all around, from the top of one collar opening down, around, and back up again, in grey.  It's something you can try for an inch or 2 and rip out if you don't like it, it's sort of crochet embroidery.

https://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-surface-crochet-or-surface-slip-stitch/