What is this stitch?

megnan

Question

My great aunt passed away a few years ago and left my grandmother two pillow-cases that were unfinished. We have two squares for the front and back, but she didn't finish sewing up the seam.

I can knit but crocheting is brand new for me.

Can you guys help me figure out how to finish this seam and join the two squares?

I've provided a picture here. The squares are yellow lined with brown. Shes crocheted the squares sides together using the stitching in brown going upward. 

Thanks a bunch!

😄

IMG-0130.JPG

9 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the 'ville.  I don't recognize it exactly but will search and see if I can find it and report back.  There's LOTS of patterns for joining squares that look similar. 

Absolute worst case, since this is just the join not the square, if we can't find the exact pattern but something close, you might think about ripping out the the existing join and replacing with another pattern that looks close; you'd still have the squares to remember your aunt by.  (It's nice the yellow crochet squares won't unravel if you do this!)

I think I can guess, but I'm still going to try to find a pattern that explains this better than I can.

This pattern is close, but is only 1 row of edging, not 2 on each side.  There is an English version as well as Swedish ;) https://mijocrochet.se/2017/08/15/mijo-granny-join-ihopvirkning-av-mormorsrutor/

Throwing this out there, several methods shown here but none quite like yours https://www.mooglyblog.com/join-crochet-squares/

Well, my google skills are lacking, I found lots more but that first one was the closest.  I need to run away for today, but I'll try to fiddle with yarn tomorrow and hopefully come up with something closer than I can explain clearly for a new crocheter.

Granny Square so glad to see you working on this because I havent figured it out either.  The brown is making it hard for me to see.

If you do not need the extra space provided by the joining stitches they could be ripped out and the squares sewn together.

It looks like the pattern connects with 2 stitches to the right piece, a stitch in the middle, and 2 stitch to the left piece. (but who knows lol)

Heres another photo that hopefully shows where she stopped connecting the pieces

IMG-0132.jpg

Let me provide some more pictures. Thanks so much for the help everyone. My Grandma would be so happy to be able to use the pillows made by her late sister. 💜

In the third photo, my thumb is on the seam line.

IMG-0134.JPG

IMG-0135.JPG

IMG-0136.JPG

That dark brown just makes it hard for me to see and I am on my phone.  Granny Square is really good at figuring things out and explaining how to do things.  The added photos will help.  

Ok just playing around I am wondering if you dont double crochet on the side of one square then double crochet on the side of the other square and continue double crocheting back and forth.  Ignore the clusters on the afghan I am working on and look at the join to see what you think.

20190424_221145.thumb.jpg.a3d80af74a074c2b443d98c632f81503.jpg

Bgs, I think your are close except I think I'm seeing in the original that the first brown row is worked with a DC into every other edge stitch of the yellow square (and you worked into every stitch of your edge), with a chain between.  I can't imagine trying to see this on a phone, I have a 19" monitor and I'm still squinting at it.

This my guess on the pattern:

Terms:  dc=US double crochet 

standing dc=one way to start a row with a DC, I will add a tutorial

ch=chain

sc=single crochet to seam the 2 pieces together from the outside - I will add a tutorial

slst=slip stitch

First row of border: with brown, around edge of first square: standing dc into the corner of yellow square, [ch1, dc, ch1, dc] all in the same corner stitch.  (this puts 5 stitches in the corner for a smooth turn).  *Ch 1, skip next stitch, dc, skip next stitch--repeat to the next corner stitch.  If you ended with a DC before the corner, throw in a chain.....I also knit, nice thing about crochet is it's much easier to discretely  "fudge". Work this way around, you will end right before the first corner, slst into the top of the standing DC (will be where the yarn tail is) to join the round.

Mini crochet lesson--knitting in the round is always, as far as I've ever done, made in a spiral.  Crochet in the round can be done in a spiral too, but this isn't a spiral, but rather discreet rounds.  To do this, and because crochet stitches are taller than knit stitches, you need to slip stitch to join the beginning and end of the round at the same level, then make a chain to bring the yarn up to the height of the next level.  The taller the stitch, the more chains needed; for DC the 'row up' or 'turning' chain is 3 chains, which count as a stitch.

Second row of border:  First an overview of this row, to hopefully make this less confusing/help you visualize --this round is a 1 stitch off-set of the row below.  So if there is a DC below, you make a chain 'in the air' above it;  if there's a chain below, you insert your hook under the chain and work a DC around the chain--or if you prefer, you can insert the hook into the chain and work the DC into the chain.  I prefer to use the back loop of the chain, the top loop that's farthest away from you, as it's easier than trying to work into both top loops as you would working into a DC or any other stitch.

Ok the second row for real now:  slip stitch into the chain past the DC you just slip stitched into to join, chain 4 (3 of those counts as a DC into a chain space, and the 4th chain counts as chain 1). Continue to DC into or around each chain space, and chain over each DC, until you get to the middle stitch (a DC) of the corner; make a corner which will be the opposite of the ones in the first row, in other words [ch, dc, ch, dc, ch] over/into that dc, and continue around, making chain spaces over DCs and DCs over chain spaces.  

For the first pillow case half, finish off after the second row.  For the second half, don't cut the yarn but rather make a sc seam to connect the 2 pieces.

I will come back with standing DC and SC seam tutorials.

Standing DC - this is photos and text, there are probably also youtubes if this isn't clear https://www.petalstopicots.com/crochet-standing-stitches/

Single crochet seam, photo/text and video.  This shows seaming solid stitches and doesn't show seaming chain stitches, but to work a sc over chains you insert the hook under the chains, rather than under the 2 top loops as you would for other stitches, then complete the sc. https://www.mooglyblog.com/slip-stitch-single-crochet-seaming/

A couple of links that show basic crochet stitches and other good stuff 

https://www.mooglyblog.com/slip-stitch-single-crochet-seaming/

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern