Back for more help

Foxrocs

Question

10 answers to this question

What are you making? If it's a free pattern could you link to it, if it's for purchase is there a site that shows the finished thing?  Often pattern 'word puzzles' can b solved by looking at the finished result. 

I'm picturing something like a granny square, but stitching in 1 corner and then skipping a whole side to skip in the next corner would make it fold up in a ball--I think?

OH!  Now it makes sense.  (See, I told you a picture would help!)  

You are making a raglan yoke, and all that skipping really is a fold, but not in a ball.  

So the 4 pieces you've been making between the increases so far are: a half front, sleeve top, back, sleeve top, other half front, with a neck hole in the middle.

Now you are going to fold it in half, front to back, BUT are going to stop (for the time being) working across the 2 sleeve portions.  You are going to work across 1 front, chain 3 (this little chain will be under the arm), skip the sleeve (it will just hang in a big loop), work the back, skip the other sleeve top, chain 3 (for under the other arm), and work the other front.  Next row you'll work across the front and over those 3 underarm stitches, back, 3 under arm stitches, front, and then work down on these stitches until you get to the ribbing.  Later you'll go back and finish each sleeve.

• Thanks 1

Thank you you are so helpful 

so going my the pics below

the bottom pic am I working to that stitch then chaining to the stitch on the top pic then stitching the back an doing the same on the other side ? 

DF493681-2B7E-4644-8EBD-5CFD1D79E6AF.jpeg

8A5CF472-8474-48C7-8951-6B0FB80951F7.jpeg

Just spotted it has a video tutorial 🤣🤣🤣

i really need to read all the way through before asking questions oops 

is there way to calculate what yarn I’ll need considering a sunflower granny square blanket for a king size bed. I know a very ambitious for a fourth project 🤣 but I’ll give it a go 

Glad you found a video, I should have thought of looking for one for you--It's a pretty common way to make a top (top down raglan).  No seams, just cut and reconnect the yarn in a couple of spots, 

Just to confirm, the 2 spots you marked with the arrow are the front and back edges of 1 sleeve top, and the straight line between them will be skipped for now.  Ditto on the congruent spot on the left side of the photo.

On your other question,  I've observed some crocheters don't realize is that if you make (example) a thing that is a square 1' on each side, then decide to make another one that is 2' on each side, that the second one will take 4x the yarn.  In your head, cut the second square in half vertically and horizontally...you have four 1' squares.  

Some size charts that show bedspreads versus coverlets.  King bedspread is 128" x 124", (10 feet 8 inches by 10 feet 4 inches) King coverlet is 108" x 96". (9 feet by 8 feet).  Common couch afghans tend to be roughly 4' x 5', so (very roughly) a king coverlet would take about the same about of yarn as 4 couch afghans.  

The best way to calculate is to make a swatch, rip it out, measure the yardage used, and extrapolate the yard you'll need for the blanket based on the size of the swatch.  Example, because the math is easy, the smaller coverlet is 9x8=72 square feet.  A bigger swatch would be more accurate, but for example let's say a 6" square swatch takes 50 yards.  There are four 6 inch squares in 1 square foot, so each square foot would need 4x50=200 yards.  200 yards per sq foot x 72 sq feet = 14,400 yards.  I'm pulling numbers out of my head, but I don't think I'm horribly out of the ballpark, maybe somewhere just outside the gate; a lot of sofa throw patterns I've considered used a over 3,000 yards.  A lot will depend on the pattern you use, and your own stitch tension.

After typing all that, I just re-read and realized I overlooked that you were considering making a blanket of squares - even better, sacrificing your work on the first square 'for science' would be the best way to do this (either don't cut the yarn or leave long enough tails so you can savely re-use); also since it will tell you how much of each color you will need.  You'll want to do the math on how many squares you need to achieve king blanket size, not the literal square feet - I hope that makes sense.

• Thanks 1