katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

I do not smoke weed I never did.  But maybe weed & alcohol are more important to people than  Hobby stores LOL. Maybe Gov. just do not want to create more problems dealing with "black market" and all those complications with weed mixed with other stuff  being sold on streets and than having more people coming to ER?. That is my opinion only.

As for alcohol, people probably would start making "Moonshine". That would not be good either LOL.

Krys

As I said our problem is we are just too calm with our yarn.  Nobody is worried about us starting a black market or acting up when denied our calming influence.  :lol

• Like 1

another fun day in the middle of nowhere... we are locked down, however dh can travel to a home and do repairs....Fortunately he is in a county that only has 2 cases...choose files... Click to choose files

I do get pictures like this to keep me going....")

priessnc.jpg

1 hour ago, Bailey4 said:

I will say this I can see supporting Hardware over yarn however I still can't wrap my head around what is deemed "essential" vs non-essential.  For instance liquor and pot (not medical but all pot shops as pot is legal in this state) are open because they are deemed necessary.  The local paper had an article to explain the reasoning because people were a little "upset" that some stores they wanted to visit were closed but the local weed store was open.  It was explained in the paper that liquor and pot were deemed "essential" because the state didn't want to create a black market for the products.

So clearly essential isn't as clear as what you need to keep your home maintained or your family fed.  Sometimes it is what the state doesn't want people finding alternative methods of getting.  So our problem is we don't have a black market yarn problem when we are asked to stay home.:lol

Chris one story I heard was that the medical system didnt need to be swamped with people going thru withdrawal right now.  

34 minutes ago, minwifeof4boys said:

another fun day in the middle of nowhere... we are locked down, however dh can travel to a home and do repairs....Fortunately he is in a county that only has 2 cases...choose files... Click to choose files

I do get pictures like this to keep me going....")

priessnc.jpg

Thanks for sharing.  It brightened my day up a bit.  It is raining off and on here and temp is dropping---might freeze tonight.  Waiting on more samples to arrive to see if they work meanwhile another frustrating day with supplies that do not work and niece scrambling for more of same to get us thru the weekend.

I can see all you Handy people like the idea of all the hardware places being open.  I watched the people across the street get sod??????  

People down here were told Walmart and Target and such can stay open, just make sure the areas with crafts is roped off.  I guess next will be Michael s and Joann's.  Those of us who are not handy, like the craft stores.  So it is a matter of what you are Handy or not.

Luckily I could get some thread I needed, or you would hear me all over the US because they closed the store.  

If I have to sit and listen to Cuomo every day, I need yarn and thread!!!!!!

Enough of that rant.

Started out quite cool here 67 and is now warming up 82.

Just finished dinner of Salmon, Spanish Rice, coleslaw and Ice tea.

Have fun everyone.

• Like 1

Lea, love the picture of the Princess.  She is a doll.

1 hour ago, bgs said:

Chris one story I heard was that the medical system didnt need to be swamped with people going thru withdrawal right now.  

So again if you have problem habits you are rewarded.  If you stay calm with safe habits too bad.  Say what you will but if we are talking essential services you can argue that crafting and other things that keep people comfortable at home aren't necessary even if they keep people occupied and calm.  However, please don't tell me if I have bad habits I am rewarded because the gov't is afraid of what I might do if I don't have access to my bad habits because I can't control myself.  That's stretching the essential services thing a bit far.  Oddly people survived for years without legal pot.  Suddenly it's an essential service?  Really?

Mary Jo at first I was surprised by hardware stores being open but I would sure hate to not have running water or electricity for lack of the needed part. Many of the hardware stores here also carry all kinds of cleaning supplies and pet food.  Menards also carries quit a bit of food, including milk and lots of cleaning supplies and maybe even toilet paper.  The issue here has been with Bass Pro.  County told them to close but had to let them open back up because there is a state law prohibiting cities and state from restricting the sales of guns and ammo in a state of emergency but they can only sale gun and gun safety related products.  Guess you gotta protect that toilet paper.  I was shocked yesterday to learn that Michaels JoAnns and Hobby Lobby were still open.  I thought sure they were closed as I was trying to figure out what I was going to need to make masks to wear in public.  I really dont want to cut up my new 100% cotton night gown.  I might have some fabric but with moving dont know where its at and most likely it is a cotton poly blend.  I have the large red or blue 100% cotton hankies so I am leaning towards the bandito look.  

1 minute ago, Bailey4 said:

So again if you have problem habits you are rewarded.  If you stay calm with safe habits too bad.  Say what you will but if we are talking essential services you can argue that crafting and other things that keep people comfortable at home aren't necessary even if they keep people occupied and calm.  However, please don't tell me if I have bad habits I am rewarded because the gov't is afraid of what I might do if I don't have access to my bad habits because I can't control myself.  That's stretching the essential services thing a bit far.  Oddly people survived for years without legal pot.  Suddenly it's an essential service?  Really?

It was just one thing I heard.  Most likely its like everything else around here.  It depends on who is in control and where their money is coming from.

Joann's here has made a big point about encouraging people to make masks for local hospitals and part of me wondered if that was in part a push to be allowed to stay open as people need access to material if they are going to make the masks.

Just now, bgs said:

It was just one thing I heard.  Most likely its like everything else around here.  It depends on who is in control and where their money is coming from.

Sin taxes are a huge income in this state.  I suspect they will stretch as long as they can to keep them open.  They've had complaints from local health officials because the pot stores haven't been practicing social distancing.  I suspect most of those are a result of neighbors who have been complaining to the health dept since the shops opened in their neighborhoods and have been praying for a means to get them shut down.

5 minutes ago, bgs said:

Mary Jo at first I was surprised by hardware stores being open but I would sure hate to not have running water or electricity for lack of the needed part. Many of the hardware stores here also carry all kinds of cleaning supplies and pet food.  Menards also carries quit a bit of food, including milk and lots of cleaning supplies and maybe even toilet paper.  The issue here has been with Bass Pro.  County told them to close but had to let them open back up because there is a state law prohibiting cities and state from restricting the sales of guns and ammo in a state of emergency but they can only sale gun and gun safety related products.  Guess you gotta protect that toilet paper.  I was shocked yesterday to learn that Michaels JoAnns and Hobby Lobby were still open.  I thought sure they were closed as I was trying to figure out what I was going to need to make masks to wear in public.  I really dont want to cut up my new 100% cotton night gown.  I might have some fabric but with moving dont know where its at and most likely it is a cotton poly blend.  I have the large red or blue 100% cotton hankies so I am leaning towards the bandito look.  

Hardware is logical in this area as we have lots of old houses and let's be honest the more time you spend in your home the more things break down.  I also don't have an issue with people buying gardening stuff.  Come on we all need something to do and as long as people are social distancing fresh air is good for you.  We've had too much rain lately to get much but I'm not against people getting stuff if it keeps people busy.  There are far worse things people can be doing.

My niece and her kids started seedlings before the indoor orders came and they've been enjoying watching them grow while being shut in.  I suspect it wouldn't be bad for other families to get out and grow as it gets warmer again if you can do it with social distancing to get supplies.  For some families the extra food supplies might be helpful this summer.

Chris I was just talking with a friend yesterday and she was wondering about buying plants to put in her garden spot but not wanting to shop for them.  I told her to get online and check out the old seed catalogue companies, order seeds and start them herself.  I feel a bit bad for those here at the village that paid for their garden spots for the year and planted their spring crops because last I heard they werent allowing them over there.  On the nice days when I am here I watch the grounds guys busy at work-----mowing, fertilizing, cutting trees down etc.  

Hello Everyone. 

Lea your little princess is a cutie.

Katy I'm sorry to hear about Pam.

I think I've lost track of whats open and whats not. I know the grocery stores and walmart are open, I've had delivery orders from them. The county south of mine has put some restrictionson the grocery stores, they only allow 50% capacity in the store, they have to have someone at the door to enforce it. They can't have salad bars or self serve food areas open and food samples being handed out. They are also allowing the  store personnel to wear masks and gloves now. I wonder if my county will follow them.

I worked on school stuff from 6 am until about 2:30 pm. Hopefully I have everything ready for next week. I am so tired, I know it's stress related so I am going to enjoy some stitching tonight and over the weekend. I need to take care of some things around here tomorrow but it shouldn't take much time and then I can play with my yarn and fabric.

Stay safe everyone.

Bgs

I would think the plants would fall under,they got them to improve their mental health,see I have already been thinking how I was going to get my plants,I think at the 45 day mark,I'll want something to make me feel happy

2 hours ago, bgs said:

Chris I was just talking with a friend yesterday and she was wondering about buying plants to put in her garden spot but not wanting to shop for them.  I told her to get online and check out the old seed catalogue companies, order seeds and start them herself.  I feel a bit bad for those here at the village that paid for their garden spots for the year and planted their spring crops because last I heard they werent allowing them over there.  On the nice days when I am here I watch the grounds guys busy at work-----mowing, fertilizing, cutting trees down etc.  

Online is a great idea but I'd tell her to do it soon.  People are shopping like crazy for plant stuff online.

That's a shame the gardeners can't use their plots.  Perhaps they will credit them for next year.

Our local independent garden store is still open.  DH was able to get some soil for the asparagus garden.  I believe because they sell veggie plants they fall under essential?  Or is it because they sell ice cream and its considered food?  I'm not sure where they fall but I was grateful as we were able to mix the compost we've been building up and the soil to prep the asparagus garden when we uncovered it last weekend.  I do love fresh asparagus and its a short season around here.

It might depend on what she wants too.  I have lots of perennial flowers that if someone wanted in my neighborhood I could split and leave out front for them to pick up leaving appropriate social distancing.  It allows neighbors to thin gardens and not waste plants.  I've given them to people over the years.

I have my eye on a new planter for veggies but I'm thinking once I can get it shipped it will likely be a prep year this year and ready to plant next year with the way things are going.  I'm not going to order until I know when it will ship which means waiting until this social distancing thing is done.  DH and I are looking into a Keyhole Garden that is a little lower than waist height so no getting on my knees which aren't happy with kneeling these days.

5 hours ago, bgs said:

That is part of it!

Anyway some people  need couple drinks to keep their sanity at this times!. I do not drink alcohol. I might change my mind very soon! LOL. Can not take any longer that good News every day...!! :(.  I am worry a LOT about my children and my granddaughters

Krys

I gave my seeds, grow boxes and planters away.  For several years we would be searching for seed potatoes to plant near St. Patricks day.  I really loved gardening in our raised beds.  Miss my asparagus bed too. I think gardening and watching things grow can be therapeutic.  I was always amazed at how much plants grew or changed over night.  My avatar is a photo of a small section of a very long row of my daffodils at old place.  One of the reasons moving made me sad was because of leaving all the flowers and bushes most were splits or starts from friends and relatives most long gone.  

2 hours ago, pineknott said:

Bgs

I would think the plants would fall under,they got them to improve their mental health,see I have already been thinking how I was going to get my plants,I think at the 45 day mark,I'll want something to make me feel happy

I get that.  I have been watching to see what flowers pop up here.  There have been daffodils, hyacinths, and large beds of tulips blooming.  It was even good seeing a dandelion.   

When we first moved here we planted tons of perennials some started from relative's, now passed, garden offerings and I'm so glad we made that choice because even in years when I haven't been up to doing tons of gardening the flowers always come.

This year I've only had crocus so far.  It just hasn't warmed up enough yet for the early spring flowers.  The crocus have been known to come through the snow.  One year I planted tulips in all kinds of colors because I love the bright cheer in the spring.  Some made it but the squirrels have a thing for tulip bulbs so some have disappeared over the years, too.  

15 minutes ago, Bailey4 said:

When we first moved here we planted tons of perennials some started from relative's, now passed, garden offerings and I'm so glad we made that choice because even in years when I haven't been up to doing tons of gardening the flowers always come.

This year I've only had crocus so far.  It just hasn't warmed up enough yet for the early spring flowers.  The crocus have been known to come through the snow.  One year I planted tulips in all kinds of colors because I love the bright cheer in the spring.  Some made it but the squirrels have a thing for tulip bulbs so some have disappeared over the years, too.  

That reminds me I had several clumps of crocus scattered through out that yard too.  Never messed with tulips because at my other house squirrels ate them.  

There are many good things for us and they are closed right now. Like Gyms. I paid for the whole year Membership to my Gym. It is closed now. Not sure if I will get my money back?. I do agree with Gov. I guess fitness is not that important compering to death.

Because of that Virus many unfortunate people with back pain and other serious health issues right now can not get their surgery. Those surgery are called: "Elective surgery". Many people are suffering with tremendous pain and can NOT get those surgery's. The reason for that is: "Doctors , nurses, hospital beds & medical supply can NOT be used up for surgery that can be postponed  for later..!!". Try to tell that to someone in big pain :(. My friend father is one of those unfortunate people. And there is many of them, just waiting and waiting..

Krys

Good Morning everyone.

The sun is up and it is 65 degrees.  We will get into the 80's today.  Another beautiful day here in Florida.

I am having trouble with my Tigger, but hope to get help today from the person I got it from.  If not I will be asking here on the Ville.

Well, DH is up and it is time to do the taxes and fix breakfast.

Some joanns locations are still open with online order/curbside pick up so we can get yarn , thread, fabric, etc. 

I sewed two face masks. The first one fit me but was  too small for dh so I sewed a larger one for him this morning. It may not do much to help but wearing it along with social distancing while at Publix will certainly not hurt anyone.