katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

and in other news, oh wait, i have none lol  just checking in to see all your smiling woeds lol  😂

And Mary Jo we also have lots of those at one time almost extinct Canadian geese running around pooping all over the golf course.  

Sunny here and lovely, participating in the hats not hate challenge so I am working up two today...

planted jalapenos in a pot today and cleared out the chickens and hens bed...

We don't own a freezer, but I do pressure can a bunch... one of the finer points of living in the middle of nowhere and having a garden... I also can chicken when its on sale, good for chicken salad, soups, hot dishes...don't do much beef....

So big news... another Princess due in Sept!!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, minwifeof4boys said:

Sunny here and lovely, participating in the hats not hate challenge so I am working up two today...

We don't own a freezer, but I do pressure can a bunch... one of the finer points of living in the middle of nowhere and having a garden... I also can chicken when its on sale, good for chicken salad, soups, hot dishes...don't do much beef....

Wow congrats on the new Princess due in Sept.  We will wait with baited breath.

Posted (edited)

Local newspaper explained why liquor stores are deemed essential businesses.  It seems there is a concern that if closed people will seek alternate methods of obtaining alcohol from crossing state borders, which is a huge issue here now with people trying to come into the state to get to their summer homes already, bootlegging, and people getting creative with making their own.  I still remembering reading stories from prohibition about the less successful outcomes.  So, I guess there really were reasons for the designation. 

Edited by Bailey4

4 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Have none of your watched Law & Order or L&O Criminal Intent or Criminal minds?  The serial killer always has a freezer in the basement?:rofl

Most of serial killers do not have any freezers in basements. They usually dumping those body's in forests or lakes! LOL

35 minutes ago, Bailey4 said:

Local newspaper explained why liquor stores are deemed essential businesses.  It seems there is a concern that if closed people will seek alternate methods of obtaining alcohol from crossing state borders, which is a huge issue here now with people trying to come into the state to get to their summer homes already, bootlegging, and people getting creative with making their own.  I still remembering reading stories from prohibition about the less successful outcomes.  So, I guess there really were reasons for the designation. 

I guess they know that many people will need alcohol to "medicate them self's" to keep their sanity in very hard times... That is why they keeping them open! LOL

Krys 

One thing i had to get used ro in florida was beer and wine at the grocery store. In massachusetts its a separate "package store" .

My friend new grand baby girl was born yesterday. My gosh she is big! :).  9 lb 6 oz, 23" long. I wish I knew it would be a girl!. I like to crochet for girls :).  I was batting it will be a boy this time. My friend have 4 daughters. Her first grand baby four years ago was a girl. Now her second grand baby, it is a girl again. All together it is 6 girls and NO boy!.  My friend husband is not saying anything!, must be little disappointed LOL.

I LOVE her name: Zaya Rose :) 

Krys

2 hours ago, bgs said:

And Mary Jo we also have lots of those at one time almost extinct Canadian geese running around pooping all over the golf course.  

I had wild ducks coming for a swim to my swimming pool every year in Spring (when the cover was on, on top that cover was still on from winter.  There was always a lot of water on top from snow & rain). They look almost like normal ducks and they can fly like birds :).. They are beautiful, specially "boys" very colorful feathers.

Krys

Hello 

Mary Jo you made me laugh about the serial killer.

Brenda I'm glad your sister is improving.

Ratdog I'm sorry your husband's pay is being cut and you are working fewer hours, hopefully things will get back to normal soon.

Bailey4 most kids are use to using technology in their classes and are much more comfortable with it than I am. But I will figure it all out.

I don't have a big freezer but I try not to keep much in the freezer at all during hurricane season. I did an online Walmart grocery delivery order this morning. It's the first time I've done this but my daughter has told be for months that it beats going to the store and since I really don't want to be out and about it seems like a good time to try it. Then I spent a few hours doing school stuff. My little granddaughter's birthday is on Easter this year which is only 2 weeks away. She was planning to have a princess birthday party and requested 3 princess dresses to wear at her party, I guess she was planning wardrobe changes. There is not going to be a party but I started on the first dress this afternoon, I'm not sure if I'll get them all finished but the ones that are finished will be her birthday present. 

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your day.

2 hours ago, minwifeof4boys said:

Right now that is probably the best place to live, in a middle of nowhere!. You are very Lucky:).  Specially being able to grow your own food! :). Many people would like to change places with you right now. Specially those from New York, New Orleans and many other.. 

Krys 

20 minutes ago, cshort said:

Hello 

Mary Jo you made me laugh about the serial killer.

I don't have a big freezer but I try not to keep much in the freezer at all during hurricane season. I did an online Walmart grocery delivery order this morning. It's the first time I've done this but my daughter has told be for months that it beats going to the store and since I really don't want to be out and about it seems like a good time to try it. Then I spent a few hours doing school stuff. My little granddaughter's birthday is on Easter this year which is only 2 weeks away. She was planning to have a princess birthday party and requested 3 princess dresses to wear at her party, I guess she was planning wardrobe changes. There is not going to be a party but I started on the first dress this afternoon, I'm not sure if I'll get them all finished but the ones that are finished will be her birthday present. 

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your day.

So glad you got the joke.  

I have ordered from Walmart a few times.  When they have it, their steaks are beautiful.  They also carry the American cheese I grew up with and the lunch meats.  The brand that is.  I will tell you this.  Ordering groceries from Walmart or Instacart is a great way to avoid grocery shopping.

Right now we are at 88 degrees, but the further in land you get, the warmer it is.

The stores are pretty well stocked here. I haven't been down the paper row, but I was able to get just about everything on my list. The hard thing is not seeing my parents who are only about 5 minutes from us.

Good Morning.  Up again at 6:30.  

Nothing special scheduled this morning.  Wrote all my e-mails.

Well that is it for today so far.

Off to get in the shower and get my first cup of coffee.

16 hours ago, ratdog said:

One thing i had to get used ro in florida was beer and wine at the grocery store. In massachusetts its a separate "package store" .

I had to check the date but MA started allowing grocery stores with a liquor licence to sell beer and wine in 2011. 

After they passed the bottle law in 1982 requiring all but water and juice containers to be returned it used to be my job to carry all the empty beer and liquor bottles into the local package store for refunds. The crowd there did not make it my favorite chore I'd much rather have gone to the grocery store.

Ahhh yes, the infamous bottle bill! 

We have been in floroda since 1997 so i was unaware of the 2011 change.

Streamed Mass last night, it was done in ASL so that was a first for us.

Not much planned today. Watching Scorpion reruns. Hating the R2D2 puzzle! Its hard!

I spent my freshman year in college in NH and was surprised to find you could get beer and wine in the grocery store and the state controlled hard liquor sales in state owned liquor stores, but the prices were cheaper than you could buy in MA.  People found my MA ways very strange that year.  I just didn't know so much was different between the states back then. With so many people from MA having moved to NH things have changed some as people have brought some of their traditions with them.  It hasn't always been for the better.

The change to allowing liquor in the grocery stores was all part of the erosion of the "Blue Laws" that were still in effect from Puritan times.

Again I had to check the date because I remember I was still in high school when I started working Sundays but prior to that only convenience stores were open on Sunday for things like milk, bread, and the Sunday paper if you didn't get it delivered.  It was a big deal when they started allowing any retail store BUT of course liquor stores to open on Sundays in 1983. 

Now since Hobby Lobby and Chick Fillet have moved into the area people keep forgetting they don't open on Sunday and are shocked to find they can't get service on Sunday.  Of course all of that is out the window with the virus, but it is interesting to realize how much has changed.

On 3/26/2020 at 6:56 AM, Tampa Doll said:

I am joining you Cshort.  Up at 6:30 this morning.  My reason is allergies.  The pollen count is so high, my head feels like it will never empty.  But that is nothing new.

I was just watching some videos on Yahoo of what people are doing all over the world to entertain themselves and neighbors.  Some were singing, some even would go out and applaud the Dr.'s and Nurses as they change shifts.  One showed a couple of teenagers playing their cello and violin on the porch to entertain their neighbors.  The funniest was two cats asleep on the couch, one at each arm.  

I have not had coffee yet, as it is to early.

Up in the 80's again today and with a promise of 90's in some areas.

Well that is it for me.  Talk later.

Mary Jo--it's NEVER too early for coffee!!!  I drink decaf all day and all night long! Delish!!!

On 3/26/2020 at 12:12 AM, bgs said:

Grocery stores here are putting up shields at checkout.   I think its more to protect the cashier from the customers coughs, sneezes, etc.  Dh has been procuring our groceries so I have wound up with $4 honeydew instead of the $1.25 cantaloupe that was circled in my ad but he had been doing ok for most part.  

My hubby has also been getting our groceries--I was recently diagnosed with COPD, so I'm trying to keep as far away from "germs" as much as possible!  He's doing pretty well, but of course he and I have jointly shopped for groceries for years, so we're used to whatever the other person wants or needs! (Did that cantaloupe taste any better?? 😜)

54 minutes ago, Avon Lady said:

My hubby has also been getting our groceries--I was recently diagnosed with COPD, so I'm trying to keep as far away from "germs" as much as possible!  He's doing pretty well, but of course he and I have jointly shopped for groceries for years, so we're used to whatever the other person wants or needs! (Did that cantaloupe taste any better?? 😜)

Dh is a grab and dash shopper.  After shopping with him the first time after we were married I dreamed he was in such a rush at the store he would not let me run back and grab the hamburger that was on sale.  Before we were married he bought the exact same thing every week  at the store.  Actually he did get my cantaloupe on his next trip back and it does taste better.  I am not that crazy about honeydew and especially at that price.  

Niece and I are struggling with sis's ostomy skin barriers not breaching. Niece was trying to get supplies yesterday to get thru weekend.  I was sort feeling like my joke to the nurse in the hospital about having to rig something up with duct tape and a ziploc bag was going to become reality soon.  They say its hard at first finding the right supplies that work for you and that your abdomen is changing from being swollen and bloated to back to normal.  

Niece did drive through yesterday to get ice cream for her mom and they said no charge.  Made my niece cry.  Its been hard taking care of her mom let alone the virus stuff.  Today in our carryout from the village restaurant there was a drawing on a sticky note and it said remember to be great.  Guess one of the employees kids are making them to stick in carryout bags.  A couple of small gestures that meant the world to us.

• Like 1

Another day of watching movies and shows on Amazon Prime.  We just finished watching The Pale Horse and Agatha Christi story.  It was so interesting we both fell asleep on it. 

Avon Lady, take care of him.  My cousin is having a hard time with her husband who is starting cancer treatments.  Does not want to listen.

My DH liked shopping better than me.  I would go in the store and get just what was on the list.  He liked to browse and see what they had.  I am the same way no matter what I am shopping for.  I never got that gene.

As for the coffee, I only have a regular coffee maker and I can't start it till DH wakes up.

3 hours ago, Avon Lady said:

Mary Jo--it's NEVER too early for coffee!!!  I drink decaf all day and all night long! Delish!!!

Hello Everyone

Brenda those little things can make such a big difference.

Mary Jo I'm not a browser at the store either I just want to get what I need and get out of there. Except maybe in the fabric store, I can spend some time there.

I streamed church service this morning. And finished the Cinderella dress for my granddaughter. Then attended a webinar that left me more confused than before I watched it and really raised my anxiety so I decided to find a movie to watch and crocheted, I feel much more relaxed now. Not much else going on.