katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

Awww so cute about the kids and the story video.  

Did not make much progress on the puzzle but will continue it today. It really is a toigh one. It is a photo mosaic so it is comprised on tiny pictures.

1585224782391-524737524.jpg

Day 3 of shelter in place.   Sis has two dr appointments today so I am home catching up on things.  Sun finally came out yesterday afternoon and is out today.  I have been watching the guys out my window working on the golf course.  

Krys a high potassium is also bad for your heart and there are a lot of side effects from the potassium tablets that sis does not need either.  Her hemoglobin had dropped and she was very close to receiving a blood transfusion but then it stabilized. There was just so much going on with her.  I think this hospital is pretty typical of all of them.  They tend to be understaffed.  There is a nurse shortage anyway and a lot of the nurses sis had when she got out of icu just graduated last Dec.  It took them longer to do things and they sometimes would go get their head nurse to review their work or help.  Then I think they all had their minds on the impending covid 19 onslaught of patients.  Things just felt a little more chaotic and disjointed because of that.   And I worked in hospitals long enough to know they tend to be understaffed.  I also think the 12 hour shift thing is bad.  I worked 4 10 hour shifts and when you are kept so busy you cant take time out to go to the bathroom let alone get your breaks and meal time break you are not in any shape to do a good job by end of shift especially if its that way every day.  At least that is what I observed in myself.  It wasnt as bad when I was younger but it sure took its toll.   

Posted (edited)

welcome to the realty of corona i guess, everyone  .. daughter is not feeling ill at all now, hubby is doing ok, still in isolation both till next week for daughter, and after that even longer for him   

she is working from home, he can not, so is occupying his time then, playing video games  im sure we all will benefit from a monetary amount, as always some more than others but will be happy to receive whatever help we do all get  to  whomever with the unpacked grocery bags, just get a can of lysol if you dont want to wash them all off, it should do it huh??  or use rubber or plastic gloves and toss all canned goods into a sink of water, with a bit of chlorox added   

i learned way back when i worked in bakery, i was taught to add a bit or Clorox to the huge sink of pans, when i did pans, and have used that practice for a hundred years lol  we always shoot a few sprays of a squirt bottle of Clorox and water we keep on the sink, into our wash water, at least, and sometimes the rinse too course we handwash most of our dishes, the diswasher we have seems to use so much water  and we are conserving our share i guess  lol   a dishwasher though, i would think, would kill germs with its heat, steam and drying, so put your canned goods in them lol for a quick run through  lol 

florid has the heat, its anyones guess if that will help coral this thing  it feels to all of us, im sure, like the  end of the world  for all we know, might be huh  but i prefer the glass to be half full, and believe someday, this too will pass huh 

last i checked my state only had 60 some positive acting cases, but the spread factor is what we are trying to make a hole in somehow   in my county, Douglas. are 39 of those cases. and neighboring Sarpy co. has like 4 or something  we are closest to the line between the 2 counties, almost on tthe line i guess, but are officially Dougls co..  so, more than you wanted to know i guess huh lol

We are on week 3 of sheltering in place  well back to something, gotta few things to do, take care all, please stay well, bgs, my best to sis        

Edited by katyallen8090

Katy for chlorox to work as a disinfectant it must be diluted to the concentration per instructions on the bottle.  If its not that concentration do not rely on it killing those germs----false security.  I have a friend that is a virologist and she is adamant about this as were the hospitals I worked in.  And more concentrated often is not better and might not disinfect either.  Then make sure whatever disinfectant you are using stays wet on the surface for the recommended time.  I like the smell of chlorox so I am bad about using a squirt here and there but if I am serious about being confident of it disinfecting things I mix according to instruction.  Since this virus survival rate is 3 days on metal and plastic I wonder about just letting them sit somewhere like corner of garage for a week.  I think for most part I would just as soon use hot sudsy dish water.  Soap makes that virus membrane pop.  

7 hours ago, bgs said:

Day 3 of shelter in place.   Sis has two dr appointments today so I am home catching up on things.  Sun finally came out yesterday afternoon and is out today.  I have been watching the guys out my window working on the golf course.  

Krys a high potassium is also bad for your heart and there are a lot of side effects from the potassium tablets that sis does not need either.  Her hemoglobin had dropped and she was very close to receiving a blood transfusion but then it stabilized. There was just so much going on with her.  I think this hospital is pretty typical of all of them.  They tend to be understaffed.  There is a nurse shortage anyway and a lot of the nurses sis had when she got out of icu just graduated last Dec.  It took them longer to do things and they sometimes would go get their head nurse to review their work or help.  Then I think they all had their minds on the impending covid 19 onslaught of patients.  Things just felt a little more chaotic and disjointed because of that.   And I worked in hospitals long enough to know they tend to be understaffed.  I also think the 12 hour shift thing is bad.  I worked 4 10 hour shifts and when you are kept so busy you cant take time out to go to the bathroom let alone get your breaks and meal time break you are not in any shape to do a good job by end of shift especially if its that way every day.  At least that is what I observed in myself.  It wasnt as bad when I was younger but it sure took its toll.   

Brenda I do know that too much potassium from pills can be very bad very bad. That is why usually doctors will NOT prescribe refill on that medication. You just need to go back for another test so they can see if you need more or not.  You are very right that all those hospital workers can not do their work well because of all that  STRESS, pressure, overworked,  lock of medical supply and on....Each day their is more bad News :(.

I was thinking that all of us we better pray to God that NO one will get sick for ANY other reason and end up in a hospital. Because that might not end up well. 

Krys   

4 hours ago, bgs said:

I like the smell of chlorox

I can not stand smell of Clorox. I always feel that smell is going to "choke" me :(. But I am using that for my laundry. I use to use that a lot more to disinfect some areas when i had my pets.

Krys

Today's News about Instagram delivery from Costco in my area. They will let you pick-up items and put that in your cart. After you click on "checkout" they will even let you write a note to delivery guy. BUT you can NOT pay for your order and you can NOT schedule ANY delivery. There are NO openings for delivery. 

Here it is what will show up:

No delivery times available. Right now, all shoppers are busy and working hard to get to every order. Please check back later to see if deliveries are available.

good Friyay

not much going on,numbers keep climbing

stay safe everyone

Just dropped in to say Hi!

Not much going on.  Going to try to crochet Tigger in thread.

Just ordered a bunch of medicine, so we do not have to worry there.  

Got a grocery order yesterday.  The instacart person said meat is almost non-existent in the stores and forget about paper products.

Well try and keep a happy outlook. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Got a grocery order yesterday.  The instacart person said meat is almost non-existent in the stores and forget about paper products.

Meet & Deep Freezers (for garage) are gone in my area for a fast delivery... People first stock-up on canned & dry food (shelf food). After that was gone they figure it out there is only one left option left:  fresh meet & frozen vegetables/fruit. So they bought all those deep freezers :). I was trying to buy one for my garage, wait time is about 3 weeks for delivery (that was a week ago). I did not bought that deep freezer because I was not sure IF by that time of freezer delivery all that fresh meet will be still available??. I guess I was right. I should bought that freezer a month ago!!

I had a good idea BUT waited too looong :(

I got a LOT of towel papers of all kind...LOL. Sparkle, Viva I always stock-up on those for cleaning windows, glass in Curio's, all my Polish crystals :),  Chandeliers and on...

Got about 14 rolls of good TP, I think I am OK with that for now :). I probably have few more rolls in my basement washroom, need to check! 

Krys

Edited by USpolishgirl

Growing up with 8 kids we always had a full sized freezer in the basement and it was always as full as my parents could keep it.  I just don't have room for a full sized freezer here and it is something if we every move to another house I'd really look to make sure we could have or as mentioned a deep freezer in the garage situation.  We don't eat much in the way of canned but we do eat quite a bit of frozen veggies and fruits.  It would be nice to be able to have a storage in times like this.

Oddly DH was telling me they closed the butcher shop at the grocery store where they cut your meat to order but the fish market is still open.  They are still selling prepackaged meat but you can't make special requests any longer.  He has been eating more fish so he's been happy and I guess it is an advantage of living in New England we do have a supply closer to the coast.

Some items we couldn't get from local suppliers reappeared this week, so I'm hopeful that trend continues.

I am grateful it warmed up to the upper 50's and was sunny today.  We actually opened up for a bit to get some fresh air into the house. 

3 minutes ago, Bailey4 said:

They are still selling prepackaged meat

You should buy that meet if you can. It will be gone too. But I know when a freezer is full already, where you are going to put that??. Those icemakers take out a LOT of space in those freezers, probably close to 30% of space in that freezer..

I am NOT sure if "regular" deep freezer still available (for basement) ??. I was trying to avoid that, I just would not like to carry all that meet-bags & other stuff on those stairs..:(. I will go back & check if they still have those "regular" freezer for sale?, probably NOT!. Even those people with no basements can put them in their kitchen's or in any other room.  Here where I live we need to have a different freezers for garage. It gets way to cold in winters. They need to be "garage ready"

Krys

Well I've never had a fridge that made ice so I guess you are talking about the part that makes the freezer cold?  My parents had a huge freezer that looked like a fridge only larger for years and that baby held a remarkable amount of food.  I remember having to defrost it in the summer and we'd have ice on the lawn and pretend it had snowed in the heat of the summer.  I would think you could put it anywhere we just had a fridge upstairs and a fridge and freezer downstairs to store the amount of food a family with 8 kids would eat.   We packed even the little freezers on the fridges with food. 

I've seen garage fridges in this area.  I was never sure if they were required to be in the garage or if that was just where people had the space or access to them.  Sometimes the basement isn't the easiest or driest place to put storage. 

Posted (edited)

I had to research the refrigerator freezer in the garage thing a year ago.  My dad had a refrigerator in his garage for 20 or 30 years.   After he passed niece bought his house and the fridge in the garage quit.  She went to buy another one and they wouldnt sell and warranty it if it was going in garage so I researched it.  If a regular refrigerator or freezer is left in a garage with no heat and the temperature drops much below 50° the compressor will not kick on so food in freezer thaws. so there are special garage freezers. Dad's garage never gets cold enough that canned food, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, etc freeze.  It gets heat coming up from basement.  I knew we were going to try  to move so I told her if she could wait she could have my fridge if we actually got moved.  

Edited by bgs

Hello

Bailey4 we had a freezer like that in our basement when I was a kid. My daughter has an extra refrigerator and a chest freezer in her garage, she doesn't have to worry to much about the temp dropping below 50 here in south Florida.

For being on spring break I sure worked a lot today, about 9 hours, but I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable with the online teaching set up. I'll probably work some tomorrow too and take Sunday off from it to rest before I start teaching on Monday. It's easier to be in my classroom than to teach online, our school superintendent said he expects we will have online school for the rest of this school and possibly for the start the next school year. I also move around a lot when I'm in my classroom and I find myself sitting too long when I'm on the computer, then I'm so stiff and sore when I stand up, I have to remember to stand up and stretch on a regular basis.

I guess that's enough rambling. 

Yesterday they took the staples out of sis's incision and they removed the catheter from her bladder.  I can see improvement everyday. 

We had one heck of a thunder storm last night with lots of lightening and downpours.  I couldnt sleep.  Just not used to the sounds yet that go along with this place.  

My folks had a big freezer in the basement and shelves with canned goods----like green beans we canned from garden.  There were 6 of us in our family.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cshort said:

Hello

Bailey4 we had a freezer like that in our basement when I was a kid. My daughter has an extra refrigerator and a chest freezer in her garage, she doesn't have to worry to much about the temp dropping below 50 here in south Florida.

For being on spring break I sure worked a lot today, about 9 hours, but I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable with the online teaching set up. I'll probably work some tomorrow too and take Sunday off from it to rest before I start teaching on Monday. It's easier to be in my classroom than to teach online, our school superintendent said he expects we will have online school for the rest of this school and possibly for the start the next school year. I also move around a lot when I'm in my classroom and I find myself sitting too long when I'm on the computer, then I'm so stiff and sore when I stand up, I have to remember to stand up and stretch on a regular basis.

I guess that's enough rambling. 

I can sympathizer.  I found it much harder to help my niece homeschool using online distance learning with her kids at their home with me here than when I taught a  traditional classroom full of 23-25 kids.  It just is a different type of interaction with the kids.  I also found I like to move when I teach and I found skype teaching was challenging for me as the connection I had in my house left me sitting for far longer than I was used to while I worked with her boys.  They also had less freedom of movement than they'd have had normally as they needed to wear a headset for learning. 

There are some interesting learning projects going on around the area.  My nephew's middle school had the kids choose classes that were being offered along with electives and my nephew seems to really being enjoying some of the offerings.  The kids are even doing an online bookclub.  This school already utilizes quite a bit of technology in their inclass learning so I suspect some of this is an extension of what is done in the classroom.  The kids are used to accessing online assignments.

Other schools systems are really struggling.  There was an article in the paper today that one school system can't find a significant number of the Chrome books (laptops) they were counting on to use for home learning.  They have no idea what happened to them and what they will do instead.

Edited by Bailey4

47 minutes ago, bgs said:

Yesterday they took the staples out of sis's incision and they removed the catheter from her bladder.  I can see improvement everyday. 

We had one heck of a thunder storm last night with lots of lightening and downpours.  I couldnt sleep.  Just not used to the sounds yet that go along with this place.  

My folks had a big freezer in the basement and shelves with canned goods----like green beans we canned from garden.  There were 6 of us in our family.

I hope your sis sees improvements soon.

Along with the fridge and the freezer there were metal shelves filled with canned, boxed, and paper goods.  While it wasn't a large house I'd love to have parts of it for my house today.  The basement had storage beni's.  It stayed dry year round which was huge.  While the pipes were lower than one would like, it had a significant amount of storage for a fairly small house. 

5 hours ago, bgs said:

I had to research the refrigerator freezer in the garage thing a year ago.  My dad had a refrigerator in his garage for 20 or 30 years.   After he passed niece bought his house and the fridge in the garage quit.  She went to buy another one and they wouldnt sell and warranty it if it was going in garage so I researched it.  If a regular refrigerator or freezer is left in a garage with no heat and the temperature drops much below 50° the compressor will not kick on so food in freezer thaws. so there are special garage freezers. Dad's garage never gets cold enough that canned food, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, etc freeze.  It gets heat coming up from basement.  I knew we were going to try  to move so I told her if she could wait she could have my fridge if we actually got moved.  

While ago I did some research on those deep freezers. Most of them are just that kind that you need to keep them at home (NO garage!). That goes for places that either winters are too cold or summers are too hot. It needs to say" "garage ready" than is good for garages with cold winters. I looked around and find out that "GE" makes some of those deep freezers -"garage ready". From what I seen they are NOT auto-defrost. They need to be defrost manually, that socks!. I could get that regular deep freezer and put that to my basement.  I have a finish basement and there is central heating in that basement. It is very nice and dry:). The problem is: "I would not like to carry bags of food downstairs"!. That would not be good.  I would prefer to have that deep freezer in my garage. My garage is connected to my house.. I do have central heating in that garage. BUT, WHY would I want to keep heating my garage? and pay  a lot of money for that??. That is a one thing I am not going to do.

As I mentioned above my basement is fully finished. I do have a full kitchen there (another kitchen). I do have another fridge there. But, last year motor burned out in that fridge. It is a very nice fridge, side by side doors & automatic ice maker. That is very old fridge it is a set with stove I got down there. It is an antic, worth a lot of money. It is in a excellent  condition (looks like brand new).  They do not make motors for that any longer. But I was told by that fridge-repair guy that he can find a different motor that will work with that. The cost would been over $1,200.00 (motor & his work). Yes I was ready to fix that until I find out that he will not be able to give me any warranty on that motor. That was when I give-up that idea at least at that time. Because I did not really needed another fridge, I do not have kids at home any longer.

Right now it is a different story with that virus and shortage on food. And no one knows how worse it might get..??. But I still would prefer to go with that deep freezer for my garage. Right now it is about 3 weeks waiting list for delivery. Like I said above. Who knows if we are going to have any fresh meat or frozen vegetables in stores by that time??. Everything  is changing very rapidly this days. The way I am seeing that..IF I buy that deep freezer for my garage I might end up with empty deep freezer in my garage 3 weeks from now.! .. The way things are looking now because of  that virus there is a pretty good chance of that happening 

Krys

Posted (edited)

Well, the group practice DH is part of decided to institute a 40% pay cut for partners. We will be ok because we have savings but the challenge will be to replace that savings when this is all over.

My substitute hours got cut out last week. My next time Im scheduled to work is april 6, not sure what will be happening then. I will probably lose those hours too. I am missing my babies and all their hugs!

Edited by ratdog

Have none of your watched Law & Order or L&O Criminal Intent or Criminal minds?  The serial killer always has a freezer in the basement?:rofl

Dh always talks about buying a freezer for the garage, and I remind him about this.🤣

We have just placed an order with Omaha Steaks.  We like them and have always gotten good meat & seafood from them. 

Please Brenda send some of that rain to us.  We are over 2 1/2 inches below normal.

It is good to see your sister is improving everyday.  Sometimes being away from the hospital helps.

Have a good day.

Ratdog hopefully the pay cut will just be temporary and things will get eventually get better.  

Krys my guess is you wont be able to get and fill that freezer until things settle down.  Then is it worth it.  If you dont rotate thru it fast enough it will freezer burn.  If you lose power for very long its going to thaw so you have to try to use it all fast.  

Mary Jo will try to send rain.  We got more last night.

I dont know what the food situation is going to be like but its spring so its time to plant gardens.  I have grown lettuce, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, radishes, etc in flower pots.  There are cattle in fields not far from here but when my mind starts down that dark panic mode I start counting the squirrels outside my window.  These little grays are not near as big as the reds are out where used to live.

good morning everyone

haven't been out to the store since the 18th

as far as freezers between Nor'easters and Hurricanes outtages,we gave up after losing freezer-full 2 or 3 times

stay safe

25 minutes ago, bgs said:

Ratdog hopefully the pay cut will just be temporary and things will get eventually get better.  

Krys my guess is you wont be able to get and fill that freezer until things settle down.  Then is it worth it.  If you dont rotate thru it fast enough it will freezer burn.  If you lose power for very long its going to thaw so you have to try to use it all fast.  

Mary Jo will try to send rain.  We got more last night.

I dont know what the food situation is going to be like but its spring so its time to plant gardens.  I have grown lettuce, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, radishes, etc in flower pots.  There are cattle in fields not far from here but when my mind starts down that dark panic mode I start counting the squirrels outside my window.  These little grays are not near as big as the reds are out where used to live.

Ok, so that is why the squirrels have disappeared.:rofl  

So I am in the middle of doing the wash.  Waited as long as I could.  Ran out of undies and socks.  So it was either buy more or do the wash.  Wash won out.

I lost a freezer full when we lost power after the hurricane, so I will not go the route of a big freezer in the garage.  With only 2 of us, it seems silly also.

On 3/26/2020 at 1:19 PM, bgs said:

Katy for chlorox to work as a disinfectant it must be diluted to the concentration per instructions on the bottle.  If its not that concentration do not rely on it killing those germs----false security.  I have a friend that is a virologist and she is adamant about this as were the hospitals I worked in.  And more concentrated often is not better and might not disinfect either.  Then make sure whatever disinfectant you are using stays wet on the surface for the recommended time.  I like the smell of chlorox so I am bad about using a squirt here and there but if I am serious about being confident of it disinfecting things I mix according to instruction.  Since this virus survival rate is 3 days on metal and plastic I wonder about just letting them sit somewhere like corner of garage for a week.  I think for most part I would just as soon use hot sudsy dish water.  Soap makes that virus membrane pop.  

thanks bgs, for that info