katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

good morning all,

college building closed til the April 6th

stay safe everyone

Its another cloudy gloomy looking day out.  Havent had any sun for awhile.  Day 1 of 30 shelter in place although most of restrictions have already been in place for a week.  Our pastor is doing a daily devotional on fb in the morning and trivia in the evening so thats something to look forward to.  Need to get around and go help with sis.

Someone sent this to dh yesterday.

"They said a mask and gloves were enough to go to grocery store.

They lied everyone else had clothes on."

Hello.

Ratdog the bears are really cute.

Brenda thanks for the laugh. I hope your sister is feeling better.

I spent a good chunk of my day trying to figure out the distance learning program I am suppose to use for my students, I'm still at a loss for what to do. I've watched a webinar and I'm working through an online training for it but it's still not clicking in my brain. Oh well maybe tomorrow will be better. I think I'm going to sit and do some crocheting.

Have a good evening.

We go on lockdown at midnight, so about 45 minutes. Our schools are closed until at least May 1st and I was told in a meeting today that the library will probably stay closed until the stores open.

Posted (edited)

My kids will be under stay at home orders starting tomorrow. 

My friend is switched to work from home starting today.

My husbands office is making sure all the doctors have what they need to skype with patients from home if it gets to that point.

I may start a jigsaw puzzle today. I have a particularly challenging one that I started a long time ago and gave up. Time for another shot at it.

Edited by ratdog

Sounds like everyone is trying to make the best of this situation.

It is funny.  I hardly go to the store or go out, but because they want you to stay home, I want to go out.  

Ratdog, did you hear about Ellen, she was starting a jigsaw puzzle that had 4,000 pieces.  She gave up, as 1. she did not have a table big enough and 2. when she finds the person who gave it to her, they will pay.:rofl

Love the story Brenda, yeah, thanks for the laugh.

Our local grocery store (Publix) is now going to put plexi glass our the check out people.  It should be done in 2 weeks.  I still can't wrap my head around how that is going to work.

Trying to finish up a doll dress, now that the afghan is done.  

Well wanted to stop in and say Hi and try to have a good day.

cshort I am sure you will get it, It will probably just all of a sudden click, like when you are having trouble with a pattern.  Then CLICK there it is.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Tampa Doll said:

Sounds like everyone is trying to make the best of this situation.

It is funny.  I hardly go to the store or go out, but because they want you to stay home, I want to go out.  

Ratdog, did you hear about Ellen, she was starting a jigsaw puzzle that had 4,000 pieces.  She gave up, as 1. she did not have a table big enough and 2. when she finds the person who gave it to her, they will pay.:rofl

Love the story Brenda, yeah, thanks for the laugh.

Our local grocery store (Publix) is now going to put plexi glass our the check out people.  It should be done in 2 weeks.  I still can't wrap my head around how that is going to work.

Trying to finish up a doll dress, now that the afghan is done.  

Well wanted to stop in and say Hi and try to have a good day.

cshort I am sure you will get it, It will probably just all of a sudden click, like when you are having trouble with a pattern.  Then CLICK there it is.

I just looked up the Publix article. They don't allow masks or gloves at the check out. So you can't cough on the clerk but she's still touching everything you just touched. Not sure how helpful that will be. The article said Krogers was installing partitions too.

Edited by greyhoundgrandma

good morning everyone

its a rainy day, highlight the azaleas are in bloom,working on second coffee

stay safe out there

What I find amazing is that no one is worried about the machine you put your card into and type in your code.  Do you know how many germs are on that?  

Well, I am doing the last minute things to the doll dress I was making.  That will be another project done.

Going almost 90 by the weekend.  Hot and sunny.  Will someone please send us some rain.

43 minutes ago, Tampa Doll said:

What I find amazing is that no one is worried about the machine you put your card into and type in your code.  Do you know how many germs are on that?  

Well, I am doing the last minute things to the doll dress I was making.  That will be another project done.

Going almost 90 by the weekend.  Hot and sunny.  Will someone please send us some rain.

Filling up at the gas station I use a paper towel to push the buttons and on the pump handle. That might help on the card machines too.

Wish we could share some of our rain with you. 6.5" this month (4" of that was this week) and 20" for the year. Sure hope we don't have a wet spring on top of the wet winter.

Posted (edited)

Mary Jo

I'd gladly share this rain with you,I'm tired of it,when its cloudy our family room is quite dark,when the sun shines its not overly bright,but at least you don't have to turn on a light to keeps from bumping into other things

well Va. has seen an increase of 101 cases in a day,at least we haven't hit double digits  in deaths still holding at 9  spoke too soon this evening the count is 13 deaths

keep safe everyone.

Edited by pineknott

I agree about the rain and the snow for that matter when it is cold like this rain is just annoying.  Warm Spring rain has its challenges but this cold stuff is just miserable.

Good Evening.

Mary Jo I hadn't heard that about Publix, I wonder if it's all their stores. It will be interesting, I wonder if I'll be able to pay with cash like I usually do. I think if I have to go out I'm going to take latex gloves with me and my clorox wipes, I already have hand sanitizer in my purse. 

I think I'm starting to get a grip on the distance learning set up. I spent several hours working today, so much for spring break, but I probably won't work tomorrow since I will be taking care of my granddaughter.

I think I need a little sewing time. Talk to you tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

here, they alcohol wipe down those caed machines,wvery 30minutes  as also the self checking lanes and number pads  

daughter is on last week of isolation, but now hubby seems sick so he is home  she will head back to work  on monday if permitted, he is just starting his 2-3nweeks of  isolation 

daughter had very mild symptoms, for which they didnt think a test was required for, just prescribed a 3 to more week isolation in her home or at least 7 more days past the day her temp returned to normal  she is on her last 7 days        

cshort I saw it on the news this morning.  It was a quick story, so I can not wait and see.

Some of the delivery places say NO CASH.  They are trying to make it easier for the drivers.  These are Uber, Door Dash just to name a couple.  

I always carry wipes with me, but of course I don't go out.  My neighbor said a friend went to Publix during the Senior time and it was packed.  He also said they had toilet paper and paper towels, but the workers were putting them in the carts.  So I guess that is one way to make sure people are only getting what they need and not enough to hoard.  He also said they had plenty of meat and stuff.  So that is good to know.

Well, I am shutting down for the night.  I want to say GOOD NIGHT eveyone.

On 3/23/2020 at 9:45 PM, bgs said:

her potassium ran low whole time she was in hospital.  The potassium tablets that are available for outpatients take so long to dissolve they wind up in her ostomy bag pretty well intact. 

Brenda can you crush  those tablets with a hammer to a "powder"? or smaller pieces". Maybe you could put that powder on a spoon with a little water? or a juice? for her to swallow.. Those potassium pills are VERY important for her to take. Low potassium can create serious  heart problems... You need to figure it out how to get that potassium to her body. Do they sell that in capsules?, maybe that would work better.

I wish all of you well!

Krys 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

You are right about all those germs... You need to keep ready in the other hand your Clorox wipes, wipe your card & your hands. When I go to any store I always take out 2 or 3 of those wipes out of my purse and I wipe with one cart handle. I been doing that for many years.. But, I was never wiping my credit card. I just wonder if after many wipes that alcohol would wipe-off all those "colors on those numbers"? and maybe more...?? LOL. Those numbers are silver metallic color (very shiny almost like a Foil). Maybe just put that back to your wallet, wipe that wallet & your hands. After few days that corona-virus will die in that wallet.

They were saying on TV that virus can stay a "life" on plastic & cardboard  for 3 or 5 days ( I do not know exactly). On metal it stays for 6 days. That is why all my can food that I bought last week it is still on my kitchen floor in grocery bags. I am NOT touching that!!. I will put that away next week.  By that time for sure those bacteria's  (if they are there?) will not be a "life". I was not about to start taking all  that out & wiping each one. How would I know if that would not hand up somehow on my face?? or my floor? or other places..?.

I might start doing that with my mail from my mail box. I might start taking my mail out every other or third day. Put that in grocery plastic bags and leave that outside under my bench for few days... I have a big "Veranda" no rain gets there :).

One doctor was asked on TV that question about mail & safety. He did give a very stupid answer. He said: " Your mail should be safe! because all that UV light  (I guess he was talking about sun) would kill those bacteria". I was thinking WHAT?.. WHEN dos a mail is left on open under the sun??. That goes from Post Office to trucks, than to mailman bag and than to individual mail boxes.  Sun can not reach that mail in any of those places. My gosh how stupid some of those answers are!.  Makes you think....HOW on earth people like that could become doctors, lawyers even senators. Their brains are not working right. Maybe they do not have any LOL.

Krys

PS: I just mention above Senators & maybe Congress -man. Because of that Financial "package" they are working on now... Yes, people & some businesses do need help right now. BUT, I was just wondering about something what they have there. What I heard on TV many times already it is that some people will get more money by not working than when they wore working. I do see a little problem with that. Because when that time will come that their place of work will open for business again. Their will be some people ( NOT all) thinking: "Why should I rush to go back to work?, I getting more money buy not working"!. That is why I do not thing that makes much sense. Yes people need money to pay their mortgage, car payments and on....And yes, regular unemployment check would not help them with all of that. BUT maybe there is another way to solve that problem by our Government??. Just so that group of people would not be able to take advantage of that?. All of that it is huge amount of money = 2 Trillion. That is money what our country can not afford. We are already so deep in depth, we been borrowing more & more money for many years... And now we do not even know  WHEN  all of this with that Virus is going  to end??.  What shape our country will be at that time?. Businesses - Economy can not be shot down for many months  & us spending money like there is no tomorrow without hitting the bottom, and without destroying this country. I do hope to God we will find some kind a cure for that Virus soon.

Edited by USpolishgirl

The post office uses UV light in the processing/sorting of the mail.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

The post office uses UV light in the processing/sorting of the mail.

I did not know that. BUT, after that processing/sorting that mail man goes thru them with his hands...to sort some more in that "pile" on his arm. Than he is opening  many mail boxes...I guess what is happening to that mail after that UV light processing that might not be so safe when it comes to that virus.

I have a UV light "box" install in my basement. All the air from the heating unit goes thru that UV light. That dos make the air very fresh, like after thunderstorm. The only minus to that is those UV light bulbs needs to be replaced every year and they are not cheap. The prices are vary from the size of those bulbs. I happen to have the biggest one =  $170.00. They are so bright person can not look at that when is on, that would do something very bad to the eyes. 

Krys

Edited by USpolishgirl

Posted (edited)

Grocery stores here are putting up shields at checkout.   I think its more to protect the cashier from the customers coughs, sneezes, etc.  Dh has been procuring our groceries so I have wound up with $4 honeydew instead of the $1.25 cantaloupe that was circled in my ad but he had been doing ok for most part.  

I spent day with sis.  She is getting better but has a long way to go.  Still having problems with the skin barrier breaching on her ostomy but I think I have figured it out.  They had problems in the hospital too.  

Krys they didnt seem concerned about her potassium when they wheeled her out as there were no prescriptions or written instructions regarding that.  Dont know if it was checked and ok by then because we weren't allowed in to ask questions.  I know how serious a low or high potassium can be.  She is eating more now and I am hoping she is getting enough from food.  She has lost 14 pounds thru all this.    She has cried a time or two and asked me if I wish she had gone into a nursing home because she feels bad knowing how much we are doing to care for her.  Told her HELL NO I didnt want her in a nursing home.  

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, bgs said:

Krys they didnt seem concerned about her potassium when they wheeled her out as there were no prescriptions or written instructions regarding that.  Dont know if it was checked and ok by then because we weren't allowed in to ask questions.  I know how serious a low or high potassium can be.  She is eating more now and I am hoping she is getting enough from food.  She has lost 14 pounds thru all this.    She has cried a time or two and asked me if I wish she had gone into a nursing home because she feels bad knowing how much we are doing to care for her.  Told her HELL NO I didnt want her in a nursing home. 

Brenda, I know about that potassium how dangers that can be. Years ago I had a "brush with death" because of that.  That was some "nasty" hospital that your sister and you had to deal with...:(. Yes from some food you can get some potassium. My doctor told me that tomato juice got lot of potassium. Another time nurse told me: Kiwi fruit. All of us know that bananas have potassium. BUT when I read about that.. person would need to eat a LOT of them, like couple dozens per day to make some difference.  Do you think if you would call that hospital now and ask about that potassium level in your sister you could get some answers?. Or maybe that would be noted in her medical records from that hospital stay?. Dos your sister feels "dizzy? like ready to pass out?. That is how those people feel with very low potassium. On the other hand your sister could feel "dizzy" because of all those surgery's she just went thru.

I feel sorry for your poor sister that she even think that way (about that nursing home).  She got her daughter,  you & your husband to help her to get better. You & your husband can be there anytime is needed, you do not work :)

I hope your sister will get better soon! :)

Take care of your self,

Hugs

Krys.  

Good Morning.

I have been awake since about 4:15 a.m., I laid in bed for about 30 minutes hoping I would go back to sleep but that didn't happen. Since this week is suppose to be spring break here and I have worked at home for the past 3 days and will again tomorrow, I've decided to relax and enjoy today. I am enjoying a very leisurely cup of coffee right now and my granddaughter will be here a little later to spend the day with me. My daughter has to go to work today, my son-in-law is working from home and his college classes are now online but he has live conferences via the computer today which could be a bit of a challenge with a busy 3 year old. I guess that's about it for me, I'll check back later today or tomorrow. 

Hope you all have a great day.

I am joining you Cshort.  Up at 6:30 this morning.  My reason is allergies.  The pollen count is so high, my head feels like it will never empty.  But that is nothing new.

I was just watching some videos on Yahoo of what people are doing all over the world to entertain themselves and neighbors.  Some were singing, some even would go out and applaud the Dr.'s and Nurses as they change shifts.  One showed a couple of teenagers playing their cello and violin on the porch to entertain their neighbors.  The funniest was two cats asleep on the couch, one at each arm.  

I have not had coffee yet, as it is to early.

Up in the 80's again today and with a promise of 90's in some areas.

Well that is it for me.  Talk later.

Well, Chris found meat in the stores yesterday, only 2 pkgs of meat per person... so he bought one beef and one chicken... we have a bunch of meat in the freezer but I think we are getting ready for mandatory lock down until April 30, we have several cases just to the south of us in Raleigh and Durham

so the latest among young folks... the coronavirus toilet bowl licking challenge...have you ever??????

We are surrounded by pine trees and oak..everyday things are covered in pollen...

So I did a you tube video for the grand kids  telling them the story of the three little pigs... all the parents said when they watched it the kids all thought it was a video chat and counldn't understand why MeMe wasn't answering their questions or listening to them....