katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

We ventured out to Walmart last Fri as I was low on my otc allergy supplies.  I have had a touch of bronchitis.  They had what I needed but the zicam and airbourne shelves were empty as were the disinfectant wipe shelves but they were restocking it.  Bleach shelves nearly empty but there was plenty of toilet paper.  

Sat we were at bonsai all day.  Our guest artist was here from CO.  It was a little stressful dealing with collecting dues and money for raffle tickets as our treasurer is stuck in TN with a broken foot.  I usually assist her so I know the drill and it went smoother than. I expected.   

We went to church this morning.   I called my niece this afternoon to check on sis. Sounds like they finally have her pain meds adjusted properly. Found out the days I need to go help out for this week.

5 minutes ago, bgs said:

Sat we were at bonsai all day.  Our guest artist was here from CO.  It was a little stressful dealing with collecting dues and money for raffle tickets as our treasurer is stuck in TN with a broken foot.  I usually assist her so I know the drill and it went smoother than. I expected. 

Brenda you been growing those Bonsai trees for a long time. Do you have a picture of your best accomplishment that we could see here? :)

What is the prize to be won in that raffle?

Krys

Krys between the move, winter, and scale infestation our trees are not looking too good right now.  Not sure which ones are really going to survive.  We really need much stronger grow lights.  We are not any good at design and doing bonsai but find it interesting.   The thing is a tree can look good today but as long as its alive it is growing and changing it is not going to look good all the time.  That's a difficult lesson to learn------if you dont let it grow and get a bit unruly or ugly its going to eventually get weak and die.  When we have a guest artist/ master they design a tree or two in the morning that the club has purchased.  These trees are then raffled off to the membership in the hopes that we at least recuperate the money spent on the trees.

This spring ahead sucks.  It takes so long to get dark and I do not like getting up when it is dark.  I think they should make up their minds what time do they want it to be.  A comedian said the other day, "What are they saving it for?"  I found it funny.

Krys, I was just quoting what some of the medical experts were saying.  They did not say it would stop you from getting the virus, but, it could help with you getting a milder case.

We always have a large bottle or two of the hand sanitizer in the house.  One in the Master Bath and one in the Kitchen.

Well, it is getting late and time to close up for the night.

Have a great night or day, depending on what time it is where you are.

• Like 1

Maybe we should set the clocks back 30 minutes tonight and be done with it!

Just a heads up, my oldest dsis a senior analyst for a large box store and said there is a run on trash bags (made in china)..they are back ordered until at LEAST  July because they are not producing them,  I still have a cough, we are sort of hunkering in so we don't have to run aroudn the stores late rif we need something...all here... I think the biggest impact will be economic... so many placed not exporting  etc.... we can forget Italian olive oil, thye are getting slammed with this nasty virus...

The 3 boys are coming up tomorrow for a picnic and some fresh air and sunshine since they are out of school... little germ factories...

Hugs~

Glad to see you are feeling better Lea.  Hey I got an idea, give the little germ factories mask and rubber gloves.  

Good morning.  Another sunny and cold day here.  Off to the foot Dr. today, then back home for some peace and quite.

Have a good day.

good morning

the store shelves at Walmart have been full of empty spaces longer than the virus has been going on,wonder if they are an Amazon wanna be? and only want you to order on line,I like to see things and feel things,Bill has no problem ordering on line,told him to knock it off,cause its causing a trend I don't care for

18 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:
5 hours ago, pineknott said:

good morning

the store shelves at Walmart have been full of empty spaces longer than the virus has been going on,wonder if they are an Amazon wanna be? and only want you to order on line,I like to see things and feel things,Bill has no problem ordering on line,told him to knock it off,cause its causing a trend I don't care for

Walmart been selling their stuff on line for a very long time. They know they need to be able to compete with Amazon so they will not go "belly up" like others. Yes buying on Amazon is easy & fast. But the damage they done to thousands maybe even millions of other businesses can NOT be undone. It is very sad what is happening because of them. Almost all those nice/good stores in those beautiful shopping malls are gone. It is like a "Domino effect" one after another are closing their doors. 

I do strongly believe that all of that started happening because that new technology. If would not been Amazon that started all of that...someone else would have done that , took their place.  We would have the same thing going on. The only difference would be it would be under different name. But because they wore the first one who started that and by now they got so BIG, so POWERFUL and so RICH that no one else can beat them or even "catch up" with them.

I always get very sad before Christmas when I think about that.  Do you remember (before Amazon got so big) all those beautiful commercials on TV from all those different stores/businesses advertising their merchandise, trying to bring costumers to their stores??. We do not have anymore of that!. What I am seeing on TV when it comes to advertising it is more & more of those boxes with that arrow curved like a "smile". I guess that should put everyone in to Christmas and happy mood!. Very sad :(.. The other thing what is very sad it is all those beautiful Christmas decorations that each store was providing, it was magical time for kids even adults to just look at all of that...:). Well, all of that is gone too!. No stores, no decorations!!

I live very close to Chicago. All those expensive stores on Michigan Ave (in Downtown) it was a very old tradition that whole strip on that street was turn to "Magical Place" before Christmas. I would take my kids every year there. People from all over the world were coming there to see that Christmas Magic. Not much left there, most of those beautiful stores are gone..:(. 

Krys

19 hours ago, bgs said:

Krys between the move, winter, and scale infestation our trees are not looking too good right now.  Not sure which ones are really going to survive.  We really need much stronger grow lights.  We are not any good at design and doing bonsai but find it interesting.   The thing is a tree can look good today but as long as its alive it is growing and changing it is not going to look good all the time.  That's a difficult lesson to learn------if you dont let it grow and get a bit unruly or ugly its going to eventually get weak and die.  When we have a guest artist/ master they design a tree or two in the morning that the club has purchased.  These trees are then raffled off to the membership in the hopes that we at least recuperate the money spent on the trees.

Brenda I just thought you might have some pictures from before moved. And you are right, those trees are changing all the time because they are trying to grow constantly.. For some reason I was not thinking about that.  I was thinking more like: when you get that tree to a size and shape you want/like you can just keep that way LOL

I do wish you Good Luck with your Bonsai Trees in your new place. I hope they will grow and "behave" very well :). They better do that! LOL.

Krys

Good Morning.  Another beautiful day today.  Sun is shinning and not a cloud in the sky.  Could sure use some rain.

Sis wound up having emergency surgery last night for a perforated bowel.  

1 hour ago, bgs said:

Sis wound up having emergency surgery last night for a perforated bowel.  

OMG! That is not a good news.

I hope your Sis will get better soon!

Krys

Is this the sister that had the knee (hip?) replaced or the other sister?  Oh I hope she gets better soon.

Clouding up, but no promise of rain.

Its the one that just had knee replacement.

Brenda, I do hope sis is okay.... that is serious stuff!

Took the germ factories to the park yesterday and let them run in the sunshine for 3 hours....Chris and I came home and took showers and changed our clothes... hoping the UV rays killed germs...the Princess germ factory and her mama have strep... needless to say we are NOT visiting...

Can't find Lysol wipes at Walmart or Amazon... might try the Dollar stores....

hello, yes i heard that about the flu shot not that it will stop this new virus, but if you do get it, having that flu shot in your system will make the symptoms less severe on this corona thing..  we got our shot, as every year too, and am glad we did as well this past fall    

I am hoping iy is not as severe as they expect you know but do think we all need to take it seriously         I didnt have trouble getting the lysol spray here, but still no hand cleaner stuff, but i still have a la 

!arge one so ill just fill up the small ones with it lol  daughter said costco was empty in that lysol and disinfectant aisle, all gone 

we will be ok, we have been through a lot of flus, aisian, bird flu., and eboli we will make this too  

• Like 1

Today I am planning to order a lot of grocery on line. I just want to stock-up on some items. I hope they are not all out!

I know all  disinfectant are out,. Thank God I do have a lot of that at home, I was always stocking up on that. I just hope food is still there. I want to buy a LOT of can food and maybe some frozen orange juice in cans. I do NOT like orange juice from cans, But is probably better than nothing. Those cans do not take up much space in a freezer. Not many gallons of orange juice you can put in a fridge besides other food. I would like to buy a big bag of rice from Costco and those chicken breasts in cans. I am not crazy about rice either, that is just "in case..." I would run out of other stuff.

I need to buy a lot of stuff, I better make a list....

BRENDA, I hope your sister is doing as expected after that surgery. That is a last thing she needed now!. That is right after her knee replacement :(

Hugs,

Krys

7 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

I am hoping iy is not as severe as they expect you know but do think we all need to take it seriously         I didnt have trouble getting the lysol spray here, but still no hand cleaner stuff, but i still have a la 

How to make your own Hand Sanitizer, I seen that on News this morning:
You need to get
a) Rubbing Alcohol
b) Aloe-Vera gel (looked greenish color)
c) Little bottle of nice scent that you like (that kind what people are adding when they making soap and other stuff..). Not sure what that is called? I have at home small bottle Lavender scent, I guess that would do.
Get a glass cup or dish and mix: 3/4 Rubbing Alcohol & 1/4 Aloe - Vera gel & few drops of that nice scent to kill that alcohol smell. If you like you can add contents of couple/few G Vitamin-E, that is optional  (it is good for your skin). Mix that and pour that to that bottle with pump.
==============
I just find out yesterday evening on TV News. We have that Corona virus in our neighborhood :(. That private high-school my son was going to is closed because of that. Not only that, but someone from different State who got that Corona virus visited that area here where I live. He was allover this town in many buildings & restaurants & hotel and....??. Couple days ago he went back home to his City. Right after he got of that airplane he was sick and was tested. And yes, he got that virus. He was here for few days doing some kind of business with all those officials in this town.. I am really scared, because it is here where I live on my "door steps"!! :( 
==============
I think you guys should buy more than one bottle of that Rubbing Alcohol. That is a good sanitizer for everything..Besides that I will buy couple extra gallons of Clorox & many rolls of strong Towel Paper (I buy "Viva" it is strong). You always can add some Clorox to water and have that handy in a bigger spray bottle, ready on your kitchen counter. When I had my animals cat or a dog. I always had that mixture ready. After I clean litter box or that place with "pee-pad" I always sprayed that water & Clorox mixture all over that box and all over the floor in that room (it was tiles) than wait few minutes until is dry. On the end I cleaned up my sink & counter tops and spray that too. I did that at least once a week.
The way I am thinking that in case I will run out of other sanitizers I will use that Clorox mix. I will make me handy wipes too out of that. Just cut towel paper sheets in half and spray that until will be wet. Than I will put that to a zip-lock to my purse. That will be my "Disinfecting Wipes" :). Right now I have about 5 big containers of those Clorox-wipes.

You probably should stock-up on good Lotion.   From all those chemicals & washing more often your hands might dry-up :(. I like that "Vaseline Intensive Care" lotion. It is very rich and long lasting.

I better go shopping and see what is left to buy..?. Tomorrow I will go to Costco try to get the other stuff..
Krys
Edited by USpolishgirl

just out of curiosity I went to walmart

no hand sanitizer,low on bleach,they had lots of paper towels and toilet paper,  other states say there is a run on toilet paper,  a yr ago I got the walmart gallon jug of sanitizer,found it great for getting dried on paint to loosen from paint brushes,still have plenty,  on the clorox wipes we always have there and a spare,made sure to get another book in case they say you can't leave your house,but don't think it will go that far

That reminds me Katie. I'm late getting my flu shot. Thanks for saying something about.

bgs I hope your sister is doing better.

I don't think this Coronavirus (COVID-19 ) is going to kill us. But bullying and people just plain being mean is. My grandson (10 yrs old) is being bullied at school. He told the school today he wanted to kill himself. His mom is on top of it. But children sure can be cruel. Verbal and mental abusive is!! Why do people have to be so darn cruel. I will stay a hermit and enjoy my fur babies . Sorry I haven't been on just so much on my plate.

1 hour ago, owlvamp said:

I don't think this Coronavirus (COVID-19 ) is going to kill us. But bullying and people just plain being mean is. My grandson (10 yrs old) is being bullied at school. He told the school today he wanted to kill himself. His mom is on top of it. But children sure can be cruel. Verbal and mental abusive is!! Why do people have to be so darn cruel. I will stay a hermit and enjoy my fur babies . Sorry I haven't been on just so much on my plate.

Those are two very different problems. That virus might kill some of us, maybe many of us. We just do not know, no one knows. Hopefully warmer weather will come soon and will be all over like with Flu.

I do strongly believe that those sick bully's are just born that way with those sick/crazy genies. Normal people are not capable of doing that to others.  I do blame those laws/restrictions here, how much power school can have.over kids. Seems that those teachers here do not have much power to do anything.  I am saying that because I grow up in Poland. Teachers had a LOT of power over students what they could do and not to do. How they needed to behave. And no parent could cost any problems to those teachers because of that.. That might be different now even in Poland.

I hope your grandson will do OK.

Krys

So sorry to hear that Brenda,  I do hope she gets better soon.

Up before the sun this morning, even though it was at 7.  Sun is just coming up.

Had to pull out 4 rows of an afghan I am making.  I could not let the mistake go.

Be working on that this morning.

Have a fun day.