katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

Planning to watch the Seahawks game also.  They have been frustrating to watch this year.  We always say, before the game starts, I wonder which team will show up today?

Enjoy your day!

2 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Good Morning.  The Sun is shinning brightly but it is 51 here not suppose to go warmer than 67.  Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I wish I would have that kind weather here. We probably would be wearing shorts. And 67 degrees for people here that would mean: "it is time to check out the beach"! LOL

I have a friend in Arizona. When is 70 degrees there those people wearing  "Long Johns",  and for us  would be summer time! ☀️

Krys

1 hour ago, USpolishgirl said:

I have a friend in Arizona. When is 70 degrees there those people wearing  "Long Johns",  and for us  would be summer time! ☀️

Krys

That is us.  It gets down to 70 and the sweats and sweaters come out.  The bad thing is it was 80 yesterday.

I know what you mean about the Seahawks, but at least you have players everyone knows.  The Eagles have had to replace most of the team with unknowns.  It should be a fun game to watch.  Good luck, but not to good.  I am rooting for the EAGLES.

I always feel a little connection to the Eagles as I went to high school and college with a player Bob Picard who was drafted by the Eagles in the early 70's.  Don't know what ever happened to him though.

4 hours ago, alp1 said:

Planning to watch the Seahawks game also.  They have been frustrating to watch this year.  We always say, before the game starts, I wonder which team will show up today?

Enjoy your day!

I am hoping your Seahawks beat the Eagles.  I am from Philly and dislike the Eagles so much.  If they lose I can start watching the news again.  Right now I put the news on when I know the weather is coming on.

DH is from Philadelphia area and has expressed interest in watching the game. Personally id rather watch anything other than football.

Hey ratdog.  There is always the hockey game.  The Lightning is playing the Carolina Hurricanes. :rofl

A lot of people do not like the Eagles, but I still watch them when I can.

So I am shutting down for a while.

Have a good night.

Good Morning.  Ok, enough is enough.  It got down to 44 last night and we MIGHT get up to 65.  I WANT my HEAT back.

Not to good this morning.  My knee feels like someone is sticking a knife into it.  Seems like everytime I rolled over last night I had the same result, so I hope I can get a nap later.

Well, my Eagles lost, but I did expect it.  They only lost by 8 points.  They had a touchdown taken away and missed a field goal, and if made, they would of won.  This is a team that played with a Back-up Quarter Back and most of the rest of the team were back-ups.  By that standard, they should of lost like 40-0 no 17-9.  So Kudos to them.  Off soap box.:soap

Today is Epiphany.  The young Greek boys will be diving into the bayou to fetch a cross that the Bishop of the Greek Church will toss.  They do this every year.  They are in church at 8 AM and sometime this afternoon they will jump in to fetch the cross.  The boy who gets the cross is suppose to have good luck all year.  They are going to freeze their little bippies off today.

Well, on that note, I will go to my corner to sit and relax.

Have a great day today. 

good morning

what an interesting Epiphany story,Mary Jo,I have never heard anything like that.

I know just what you mean with the up and down temps in mid east coast,we had the high of 77 then it went down in the 40's and it felt like it was freezing,but when its normally 40's straight through,its comfortable,its going to be really miserable when we get the week or two in the 20's.People around here wear flip flops shorts and a jacket,when its in the 40's for me,its long pants time

1 hour ago, Tampa Doll said:

Good Morning.  Ok, enough is enough.  It got down to 44 last night and we MIGHT get up to 65.  I WANT my HEAT back.

Not to good this morning.  My knee feels like someone is sticking a knife into it.  Seems like everytime I rolled over last night I had the same result, so I hope I can get a nap later.

If your knees are hurting because  you got colder weather maybe heating pad would help or electric blanket.

I hope you feel better soon :)

Krys

I agree Mary Jo I want the heat back too. I am so ready to be warm again... 

I understand the pain too. My legs have been aching sense the cold...

Posted (edited)

ohh lea, i have played "yarn Chicken' MANY times, just never heard it called that, how funny!! More times than not though, i come out good on it lol its good to have a name for it now lol  for those that might not know, its when you are working a row, or a round, or a piece with a small amount of that particular color, and winning the game is having enough to finish, loosing the game, is running out mid row and having to frog it lol  i do this a lot when using up my small balls for granny squares lol  but most of the time i come out ok lol  I use the wrap trick though, if there is at least 30 wraps around my two fingers, i save it, as it will most likely make a center of a grnny, more wraps would be at least two or three times that for a six inch  lol  just my own trick lol  

bgs IS a busy bee these days, and i bet she has not had a moment free for her yarn and it feels so lonely i think.. lol

Carol, you too have been one of those bees lol buzzing around and keeping busy!!

i was pleased with my 6.0 i was sure it would be higher lol  im so glad though im doing well  its been a long time and i have sacrificed sugar, and sweets, and a whole lot of carbs too, so who knows huh glad it helped, i dont wanna do insulin either mj   

my neighbor got his two orders, and i got mine from prime, i ordered an 8 compartment flatwarer holder, i guess one could use it for that lol, but i wanted it for organizing my colored pencils, highlighters, sharpies, and markers and gel pens, at least more than four slots, and i got it yesterday, its hard plastic, lightweight, and i was busy this am filling it with all my wonderful coloring mediums lol  it slides in my bottom table shelf and is ready and at my finger tips, just slide it out and put it on my table when i color, for hands on choices lol  i love it  good buy katy, high 5!!

i need one more large folgers plastic tubs coffee comes in, i have three, and one more i will get soon, i tell handy to just get folgers cause i like the canisters, they have handle indents, and are easier to handle lol then when i have four, i have something in mind for them heheheh,, wait and see, some of my ideas, look great in my mind, but some, well shall we say, dont work out like i think they should lol  dont ask me anything about the extendable cat hair picker upper ok lets not go there ok,should have worked!!

speaking of Max, he is fine, just does his cat things and follows us around lol  he hates thunder, and storms and usually hides behind the couch, and the dog, she would usually be in the bath tub or on the bathroom floor  i guess she felt more protected there when the tornado that came through here a few years back, she was in the bedroom, as i was in bed, and she jumped up on the bed, and roused me and just as she did that, i felt my headboard shake, and dived out the door for the living room where handy was catching the weather, and we both felt the walls breath like, in and out it was too close..  hit a couple miles away, took out trees, carports, sheds,fences siding and roof damage, but only our flowering tree got a big branch down in front of the bay windows, which was bad enough believe me  i never wanna be that close again but  Ginger knew, and she woke me for it  she also hated fire alarms and such, one night she woke me up and i thought she wanted outside or something so i let her out, no, she was still jumpy when she came in and nervous, she kept trying to get me up and out  turns out my cell phone was quietly beeping, as i forgot to put in on to charge and she took that for a quiet alarm of some sort  as soon as i plugged it in she curled up on her bed, and went right to sleep  i miss her, in so many ways   

well time to leave you for a bit my friends, and find a chore that needs to be done lol  glad everyone is staying healthy so far, so good  later!!

Edited by katyallen8090

Yesterday went out to our church.  Mary Jo the pastor's and my simultaneous greetings to each other were "no more Patriots".   We stopped at our favorite restaurant out there for lunch and stopped at genealogy library on way back to update our address and phone number.  Later we went just up the street and knocked balls back and forth at the ping pong tables.  We are not very good but it was fun and that did not hurt my back.

This morning I got the leaky shower head changed out while dh went to a class.  Then before we were heading out to lunch the bushes were trimmed.  I ran out real quick and asked if they would trim them back like they were last year when we first looked at the place.  They said no problem and cut them back more.  Called election board to tell them we registered 11/22 and have yet to receive voter registration cards.  After lunch we attended the resident council general meeting and learned about all the development going on around us and there is a lot.  We drove over but I decided to walk back just to see if I could make that far.  I did ok but not ready to walk there and back.  

Thankful for our 42° feels like 38° but my left jaw started aching a bit on my walk.  Had a root canal a couple of years ago but it still aches a bit in the cold.

Katy I did grab my bag of granny squares and put this together.  

20200106_153654.thumb.jpg.a5ab8a5270851c9cca8b33ba5d0d5157.jpg

Not much but its a start.  I used to tie the yarn bits that made less than a granny square center together and roll into balls for TC.  I left the tails  at the joins long enough to work back thru the ball so it would not unroll and left short tails hanging loose.  She loved those so much.  Now I use those bits on ministockings.  

• Like 1

Hello.

Sounds like everyone is keeping busy.

Brenda the afghan is very pretty.

It was back to work for me today and then Walmart. It was a planning day so no students but I am very tired, I guess just getting back into routine. I have load of laundry in the dryer and will be ready for bed when it's finished.

Have a good night everyone.

Well folks, hate to say it ...I am a Pats fan.... should be a Panthers fan but Cam Newton just grabs me the wrong way, might go back if he goes out... anyhow... my pro team and all three of my college teams let me downt his year... NCSU, THE Ohio state, and WV... hockey yes... rock me like a Hurricane...

Katy, yep... yarn chicken... not a great game to play sometimes...LOL...

MJ, what a cool Three Kings Day thing to do.... but a bit chilly..LOL... I usually take my tree down today but I am still staring at it... we didn't get it up until the 22nd so I think 1 more week of twinkle is in order...

Dh all of a sudden has gotten this thing for candles... right now there are 10 of them, collected from around the house lit on the built in bookshelves...  He says it calms him... now if you know Dh, its not like he is not just calm most of the time...he'll probably fall asleep in the recliner here in a bit and I'll go blow them out...all the different scents are giving me a headache!

Found the easiest pattern on youtube today by Bonnie bay Crochet for a grocery bag holder ( the plastic kind)... watched episodes of Dallas Swat and made one up in about an hour... might make some up for quick gifts this year..

Brenda, I really like the ghan, great cheerful colors...

Last night we went to our friends light display at their home, they were serving hot chocolate and smores  and it was wonderful... they had been doing this for 5 weeks and last night was the last night so we drove up .... apparently Dollar General has this blue dot thing and if it has a blue dot the price is a penny... ( I don't understand it)..but they had bout over 100 gifts at like 25 different Dollar Generals so each child who came to see the Christmas lights got a gift.. How do all these people have the energy..??

Ratdog, I remember one year you donated stuffed animals to our city and I thought you were wonder woman!

Well, dh is looking drowsy, better go start snuffing out the candles...

oh my,all different scents  would probably give me a raging headache too,they are calming,is it the flickering candles  or the scents that calm him?? cause you can get votives at walmart that are unscented

We find candles and those water sound cds stressful not calming.  If we light a candle we feel it must be watched at all times be sitting in a metal pan and that most likely must be sitting on the stove.  With all plumbing fiascos we have had lived thru we cringe at water sounds.  

Its just a little doll ghan but at least its a start as I have not crocheted since Sept and sort of wondered if I would ever get started again.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, bgs said:

We find candles and those water sound cds stressful not calming.  If we light a candle we feel it must be watched at all times be sitting in a metal pan and that most likely must be sitting on the stove.  With all plumbing fiascos we have had lived thru we cringe at water sounds.  

Its just a little doll ghan but at least its a start as I have not crocheted since Sept and sort of wondered if I would ever get started again.

Brenda your little blanket looks very nice! :). I like those colors.

About candles.. About 5 years ago before Christmas I put a nice big candle on my coffee table just in front of my sofa where I would crochet , watch TV.  For a few days I was sick.  I thought it was a bad flu? or cold?. All I know I was coughing like crazy, my eyes were tearing & i was sneezing.. After few days I realized that when I am in a different room I feel better. It was that candle was making me so sick, that scent from that candle. I did not even light up that candle and that cellophane wrap was still on it. once I realized what was making me so sick I throw out that candle and I was fine. I did open up windows to air out my house. Got so cold inside, freezing LOL.

I started getting very bad allergy's to many of those scents about 15 years ago. I can not use that regular Downy-fabric softener. NO air fresheners spray's of any kind. I can't go to stores where they sell all those scented soaps or other scented stuff...  It can get so bad that I can not breath, I just need to run to the Exit as fast as I can. I think the worse is those "cinnamon" scented pine cones they sell in stores before Christmas. I need to be very careful what I am using to clean my house, no more of that "Fantastic - spray" that I used to love cleaning with  in my kitchen, bathrooms and..

My allergy's progressing... It is getting worse from year to year.

Krys

Edited by USpolishgirl

good morning

yes Bgs after many water fiascoes,taped sounds of water trickling set me on edge too

its been foggy and gloomy here,should warm up a bit later,enjoy your day

Love the colors of the afghan.  Very pretty.

Yeah Cam pissed off a lot of people.  Last week was a total surprise in a couple of games.  

Today I am spending the day taking down the Christmas Decorations.  I just threw out a lot of stuff that I don not know why I was keeping.

Yesterday was the 114th diving for the cross. An 18 year old got it.  The rest of the boys carried him back to church for 4 more hours of church service.  It is fascinating to watch, and the local channel shows it.

Have a fun day.

Lyn we went to a funeral service at a church with a large fountain of running water in the sanctuary.  It was not the least bit calming.

I dont know why they think everything has to be scented.  You would think there would be a big enough market for unscented products that you could find them easier.  I love Bath and Body lotion but cant stand the scents.  Any time I find one I can tolerate they retire it.  Another thing I hate are those plug in air fresheners.  I know of peoples cats and dogs having respiratory allergic reactions to them.  I was in one restroom and it was mounted up high and darn thing squirted me almost drifted into my eyes.

Lea nothing against Patriot fans.  I want to see my guys win just one more Super Bowl before I die----just one.  Its been sooooooo long ago.  

I really hear you on those plug in ones,they goes so far as to say they are air pollution,they cause me to wheeze and my eyes and nose run.

I never had a problem with scented things or perfume,until we were in a hotel room and the cleaning people must have used straight bleach to clean the bathrooms,we were stuck with that room cause of  race weekend in SW Va.,but it did something my respiratory track and now I can't stand any strong fragrance,White Diamond by Liz Taylor,and his mom loved that stuff,but when we went riding,Bill would ask why I was crying,not crying just the fumes from her perfume.Rene' pain mgmt. Doc has a sign up about no fragrances in his waiting room because they are triggers for patients with allergies. The last two times at my pc doc,they had one of those misting scent things and about choked me to death,if it was there this past time I was going to complain,maybe someone else did,because it wasn't in use,thank goodness

I stay away from anything that has a scent to it, except coconut and citrus.  They are the only things my allergies can stand. 

Brenda I had to laugh at the greeting with the Pastor.  It was a complete shock that the Pats lost.

Well, I have 1/2 the decorations down and 1/2 to go.  I still have a lot that has to get tossed.

Well off to relax and do nothing this afternoon.

Posted (edited)

hello all  well its another week to sift through lol  i got aa lot done in the weekend and the past two days, and just have left in the craft room to big vac it all, i occasionally use the handheld for immediate messes, but this time big mama vac is summoned lol  

i have restacked and minimized my shelving units ans to add to conversation, i never burn a candle unless i am right there as i have maxie lol  so if it is lit, im sitting beside it  

water noises, not particularly fond of, i do like the nature- scapes cds, birds singing, and things like that, that and i have a Celtic music one i really like too  had a sound machine it had about 9 tracks built in, ocean and rain, and frogs, and storms, and a freakin' heartbeat that freaked me out lol  i sold it at a garage sale a long time ago  i wonder if they still make those lol  i dont miss it though, and i have several great classical music cds  that are completley my fav lol   

well back to work, see ya soon  

Edited by katyallen8090

good morning

frost on the roof tops but 3 days from now its going to be 70

enjoy your day