granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

Good Morning! Feeling good here today- YAY! Sunny and 45°F. It's supposed to get up to 55°F today. That means an indoor day for me again. LOL

DD and SIL will come by about 4pm or so for dinner today. My treat, we are splurging with "5 Guys Burgers" so my DD doesn't have to cook and clean up for a change. She's thrilled.

Reading everything about your vaccine experiences are interesting. I wonder, do you all receive any documentation such as date received, pharmaceutical name, lot number, etc.? Still no appointment here. Arizona seems to be in short supply, especially the smaller populated counties.

I'm plugging along on the afghan. It's turning into a longer than expected project to get anywhere,  but, it sure is pretty. Just one stitch all the way. And especially easy when binge watching on Netflix. I still have to be careful so I don't miss part of each stitch. I've frogged 2 rows out 2 different times, so, I'm more cautious and check stitches periodically. Duh- Should of done that to begin with.

Enough of being so blabbery. Hope all have a wonderful Sunday and find something special to make you smile no matter how small it may be.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good Morning.  Very cool things you made for your niece. You all have probably seen this, but thought you could use a laugh.  

I keep myself very busy! Here's a grey basket I crocheted. I turned around and made a black one. Now onto a two tone purple one for daughter. I made a bunch of the smaller ones and washcloths to

here t is cool huh  

Posted Images

Renic they gave us the cdc covid vaccination card with our name, birthdate, date of vaccinations, which vaccine, lot number, clinic where given.  We have to remember to take it back so they can fill it the info for the second one.  If you scroll down it shows what it looks like.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/amp34994649/what-are-covid-19-vaccine-cards/

Mary Jo the ac comes on more in response to the humidity than temperature.  I can tell its warming back up as last night I got too hot with the flannel gown over the summer gown, leggings, and socks over slipper socks.  I had to strip back down to summer nightgown.  Thermostat set at 64° but dh was enjoying his fireplace.  At old place it was cold with thermostat set at 70° but it was a ground source heat pump.  This gas furnace feels so much warmer that dh was even too warm setting it at 68° and he is the guy that actually melted the soles of his boots huddling around a bonfire. 

Alp1 my shoulder bothered me with the first one but not as bad as yours. Its never hurt like that from flu shots.   Really with that high of a percentage of effectiveness with one dose it is amazing they are recommending two.  From what I gather a lot of vaccines are less effective yet seem to do their job.  Just hard to say yet since not much data.  Its like the drs said on the KU updates I watch----this is like building an airplane as you are flying it.

20 hours ago, bgs said:

Renic they gave us the cdc covid vaccination card with our name, birthdate, date of vaccinations, which vaccine, lot number, clinic where given.  We have to remember to take it back so they can fill it the info for the second one.  If you scroll down it shows what it looks like.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/amp34994649/what-are-covid-19-vaccine-cards/

Brenda: Thanks for the info . I was curious as when I get my flu and pneumonia vaccines, I'm given the same type documentations. The link to the article about documentation was interesting. Now, just to get the shot! LOL

Owlvamp: Your dishcloths look great. That's a good idea to make one a day.

Edited by ReniC

I just looked at the paperwork they give us from Publix (grocery store) It has all the info, including the name of the vaccine they gave us.  It has the lot number and the experation date .  We also got a card with our name date of birth and the date for our second shot.  This will be put into our wallets.

What is bugging me is that you can own a house or appt. in Florida, and not live here all the time, you can get a shot, as long as you can prove you own a place, Like an electric bill or something.  They do not need a Fl. drivers license.  You probable have the same problem in Az.  Snowbirds are coming down to get shots.

Well, I finished the giraffe to go with the blanket, so I am now working on a red camo hippo.

Getting warm today, chance of rain coming up and a cold front is coming in:rofl

Don't worry about babbling Reni, we love to hear what is going on.

• Like 1
On 2/21/2021 at 12:43 PM, ReniC said:

Reading everything about your vaccine experiences are interesting. I wonder, do you all receive any documentation such as date received, pharmaceutical name, lot number, etc.?

I got little "card" from my first shot-Covid Vaccine. There is a name of the company that made that, date I got that and on... I am schedule to get second shot next Thursday. I am little nervous right now..because I am expecting to get a phone call, text or email from them telling me: "Sorry, your appointment is cancel! we do not have Vaccine". It is very possible that will happen because they did not saved the other half.

The other problem here it is those teachers. Many of them do not want to go back to work!. WHY would they? they got about ALL YEAR of free paid vacation staying home, they got use to that!.

They are requesting all kind of things that needs to be done for them before they will go back to work. Each time they get what they ask for. After that they coming up with another bunch of requests and on... I think last one was: "They want Vaccine"!!!. They just thought they will never get that before ALL THOSE WHO REALLY NEED THAT- sick & old" They were wrong, they will go in front of the line and get that vaccine acording to our Governor & Mayor. They did not expected that!!. So now, they are requesting that ALL CHILDREN MUST BE VACCINATED before they go back to school.

ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR MIND?. Who the heck they think they are? to request things like that???. They want to take away life saving vaccine from those who really need that, their life's depends on it!. PLUS they want all those little kids to maybe get sick or even die BECAUSE that vaccine was NOT tried on children. And their is NO REASON for kids to be getting that. That Virus is NOT killing kids!.  What kind of people they are? I thought teachers they love & care for well-being of all those kids. I guess many of them do not even care about them. If they would they would not be requesting anything what could hurt those little kids just because they like to stay home & keep on getting full pay!

The other thing is: WHY do they think they are  much better class of people than anyone else??? And they need to get "special treatments" ?. All other people need to go to work!. Everything what they need to stay a life other people put a lot of work in to during those hard times. They can buy food & everything else and get all kind of services other people proving by showing up to work, every day!..Other people made that happen for them by going to work and doing their jobs!.

. Besides all of that ALL OTHER SCHOOLS like private schools  BEEN OPEN since  that epidemic started and they are doing just FINE!. Schools in most of EUROPE BEEN OPEN THAT WHOLE LAST YEAR and everything is fine!. But they still coming up with bunch of lies & demands....!

Yes, all those older teachers & those not very healthy should get that Vaccine. But not all of them, not those healthy young people. Because other people who really need those Vaccines WILL DIE because of them! :(

And to just think..that all those kids already lost one whole year of-education is just heart breaking. And for nothing!.

I am very lucky my granddaughters are going to private school. They did not lost anything because of that Virus.

There is a Video of few teachers laughing and telling parents they should hire a "babysitters" because the are NOT a "babysitters"!. According to me those people should loose their jobs now!. Because all of them sign for that. They  knew they need to go to school and teach those children like they were teach by their teachers ( "babysitters") - they are calling them self's now!. They should quit if they do not like that. But, they will not quit they love their full pay,  staying home. 

If our Government would not been getting a LOT of money from those Union donations things would be very different. 

Krys

good morning

just got our reminder that we are due for our second covid shot tomorrow

I am hearing more and more the second dose kicks your butt

enjoy your day, here the sun is shining and tomorrow will be 65, these 35 degree dips are getting old

Good Morning.

It is a beautiful day here today.

Water delivery is today, so the garage door is open.

Going to start getting the stuff out for the table for March.  I did not decorate for February, as I was just not in the mood to do it.

I am going to get back to the doll outfits I am making also.

Have a fun day.

Hey pineknott let me know how the second shot goes.  I am due on March 4th.

Good Morning! Apparently Build A Bear store has Dr. Who bears! My husband is a big whovian from way back in the day so I think I need to make some Dr. Who bears for him.  I have a simple bear pattern I can accessorize for different characters. Hooray another project to do while staying safe at home!

• Like 2

When I was teaching 4th grade DH got me a Build a Bear as a classroom mascot.  He had regular outfits and outfits for the politically correct holidays, (no religious holidays) the kids loved getting to change his outfits.  It was the craziest thing.  Though I no longer teach I still have him and his wardrobe.  When he was home for the classroom holidays he had the non-approved school holidays so he still gets dressed for Christmas and Easter along with the other holidays. 

I didn't crochet back then or he'd had a much wider wardrobe.  Come to think of it I've never made him any clothes since then.  Hmm.

well krys, the teachers i know personally, are dedicated Ans want to come back but safely, with minimal risk to the kids, and  themselves, im sure you would feel the same huh  I am glad my daughter is grown as i probably if she were little, would want the teachers back, but at the safest possible available ways  Most in my opinion, are anxious to go back, and see "thier" kids.  I guess to me the glsss is half full, not huff empty huh  to each his own   

I will only add this as a former teacher what the unions advocate for and what the teachers are asking for are not always on the same page.  Years ago I wanted the school to buy school supplies so I didn't have to buy things like glue sticks, copier paper, etc.   What the Union heard is our members care about an extra 15 minutes in the morning before they have to report at the door to pick up the kids.  I never heard anyone really care about 15 minutes.  Honestly considering how far away I was from the nearest adult rest room it wasn't even enough time for a bathroom trip but that is what the Union spent time negotiating for that and other useless items that had little use or impact on my daily teaching day but they seemed to think were so important when they actually "won one" over the man.  Meanwhile I was shelling out hundreds of dollars outfitting my classroom.

It concerns me that teachers are not trained to teach remotely.  I suspect if you asked teachers one of the complaints the unions aren't addressing is the lack of training and support they've had for the last year on how to adapt curriculum to remote learning because most of the curriculum and supplies they've bought and been trained on were never designed to be taught this way.  The teaching methods they use were never designed to be used remotely.  It is a whole different style and requires a different way of thinking about how you engage, involve, and evaluate student progress.  I suspect very little training and support has been provided.

I said this at the beginning of COVID and I will say it now the politics surrounding COVID have made it very difficult to discuss what is true and what is fear.  People wanted the public to be afraid and to stay home even though we've known for a very long time that children were the least likely to be at risk from this disease unlike seasonal flu.  That didn't fit the narrative and we kept fear mongering and frightening people.  Now we have a public that can use fear as an excuse not to do the jobs they are supposed to do. 

Ironically many of those who created the fear are now frustrated because they can't wipe it all away when the purpose for the fear mongering is over.  Several mayors and Governors who kept the fear going are now extremely frustrated that they can't get the Unions to go back to work.  Funny but in the fall they were standing with the Unions, I wonder what happened in November that suddenly made these Democratic Mayors and Governors change their minds and think perhaps the science is correct and we can open schools.  Surprise we told the Unions it wasn't safe and now they aren't listening to us when we tell them oops yeah that was all politics nothing to see here back to the classrooms.

In areas where schools have been open there have been no major catastrophes as we were told would happen if we didn't shut down and destroy our public education system leaving kids behind the rest of the world.  Perhaps it is time for those who claim to care about the poor and disadvantaged to start a private school system that isn't dependent on the government or the teacher's unions.  There are plenty of rich people in the world out there claiming they care, maybe it's time to do something that really would change lives.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, katyallen8090 said:

well krys, the teachers i know personally, are dedicated Ans want to come back but safely, with minimal risk to the kids, and  themselves, im sure you would feel the same huh  I am glad my daughter is grown as i probably if she were little, would want the teachers back, but at the safest possible available ways  Most in my opinion, are anxious to go back, and see "thier" kids.  I guess to me the glsss is half full, not huff empty huh  to each his own   

What does "safe" look like?  The ball keeps moving on this one and I'm not sure if it is in fact the teachers who are moving it or if they are being manipulated through fear by Unions and those who are working with the Unions on causes that have nothing to do with education and health.

There are schools open across this country that are dealing with the risk as we have for years.  There are real risks of kids not being in school that we never discuss.

Our kids have lost out on a full year of school and around here we aren't even confidentially talking about opening in the fall.  What kind of life will these kids have as adults.  The world was pretty challenging for young adults who finished high school and had attained the basic skills to decide how they would earn a living.  We may look back on the pre-Covid generation who we thought lacked educational skills as being highly educated compared to their COVID peers. 

This is government sanctioned child abuse and neglect.  Fear of COVID is not a reason to jeopardize an entire generation's ability to earn a living in the future.

This Covid topic is enough to give us all a headache.  It is one way one day and another way, another day.  Do we wear a mask or do we wear 5 masks?  Do children get it or do they carry it?

Our schools have been in Session since Sept and there is no major catastrophe going on.  They are learning and playing sports.

The SuperBowl was suppose to be a big spreader of the virus and nothing.  

I have stopped listening to all the propaganda on the virus. 

With all the bad things I am hearing, suicide, opioid use and depression, we have to get these kids back in school  NOW.

I heard the other day a boy in California, has gone from a 4.0 GPA to about a 3.0 or lower.  How is this doing him any good.

Enough, time to get off my soap box.:soap

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

When I was teaching 4th grade DH got me a Build a Bear as a classroom mascot.  He had regular outfits and outfits for the politically correct holidays, (no religious holidays) the kids loved getting to change his outfits.  It was the craziest thing.  Though I no longer teach I still have him and his wardrobe.

My son had Sugar Bear as a class mascot. He went home every weekend with a different child to learn about different families and had a scrapbook of his adventures.

• Like 2

There is much that is dark in the world to share but I also think it is important to recognize the real good in people.

I broke my nose piece on my glasses today which while not a huge issue is a challenge because my back up glasses are a few generations from my current prescription and in order for these glasses to work properly with the multiple levels they do have to sit correctly or you get blurred vision and headaches.

DH called the eye place to find out what the COVID regulations were for going in to get them replaced thinking we might be able to get in tomorrow as they were about a 1/2 hour away from closing today.  The gentleman asked him how far away we were and when DH told him 10 minutes he told him to come down as it wouldn't take long to finish.  The service was amazing and they could easily have put us off.  There are really kind and thoughtful people out in the world.  Despite all the darkness it is important that we remember those who do go beyond the minimal requirements.

• Like 2

We too often forget to look for the good in people and it doesn't make it into the news very often. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Being kind really doesn't take much effort and I think it can inspire others to be kind in return. We could sure use a snowball effect in that regard. LOL

• Like 2

Last word on the vaccine.  Our govenor has just dropped the age for the shot to 50+.  With Police, Fire and Teachers with first priority.  

They also did a study in Atlanta and found it was the teachers bringing in the Covid, not the germ factories.  

So a beautiful day.  The sun is shinning, it is a bit cool with us into the 50's.  By the end of the week we will be into our summer weather with temps up in the 80's.

I have the afghan and stuffies all ready to be picked up and I am off to finish a dress I was making for an 18" doll.

There are more nice people out there, than we hear about.

Have a fun day.

On 2/21/2021 at 1:50 PM, bgs said:

Thanks for the info Brenda. I was curious as when I get my flu and pneumonia vaccines, I'm given the same type documentations. The link to the article about documentation was interesting. Now, just to get the shot! LOL

ETA: I typed this reply the other day. Now, if I can just remember to tap on "Submit Reply" LOL

Edited by ReniC

Good Day to All!

Still no vaccine appt, but, I'm being patient.

I am adding 2 new stitches to the afghan. At the rate I'm going, I wouldn't have the dang thing done until Christmas! Wait, that might be a good thing! LOL  Never mind- I'll just add the new stitches and get it done.

I paid my car tags this morning and that sure puts a crimp in the checkbook since I paid my car insurance the other day. I still don't understand why they don't accept paying annually instead of bi-annually. Weird.

Today would have been our 38th wedding anniversary. I have to say, it's a little bit easier emotionally  than last year was. Still pretty intense though. I'm good though as I have a great family that sees me through these things.

Anyone else see this stunning rug? I would be afraid to walk on it, let alone fear how long it would take me to make it. It is pretty though. The person has some amazing crochet patterns for sale.

We've had a few days of 70's and mixed with typical northwest AZ winds. The legend is, when the pioneers came through this area in the mid-1800's they decided to wait until the wind quit. Well, it never did quit! So the story goes.

Time to run some drive through errands with my daughter. I hope all of you find joy in this day. This time I'll remember to hit send! :hug

Edited by ReniC
add link

Did anyone see the America Strong piece on ABC World News last night?  One woman went online looking for an appointment for a shot which she needed to get before she could have her needed heart surgery. Another woman (who also needed a shot due to compromised immune system) gave the heart surgery woman her appointment because she felt that woman needed it more. They went down together and explained the reason for the swap at the vaccination site and it was allowed.

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 3