granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

well krys, the teachers i know personally, are dedicated Ans want to come back but safely, with minimal risk to the kids, and  themselves, im sure you would feel the same huh  I am glad my daughter is grown as i probably if she were little, would want the teachers back, but at the safest possible available ways  Most in my opinion, are anxious to go back, and see "thier" kids.  I guess to me the glsss is half full, not huff empty huh  to each his own   

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good Morning.  Very cool things you made for your niece. You all have probably seen this, but thought you could use a laugh.  

I keep myself very busy! Here's a grey basket I crocheted. I turned around and made a black one. Now onto a two tone purple one for daughter. I made a bunch of the smaller ones and washcloths to

Posted Images

I will only add this as a former teacher what the unions advocate for and what the teachers are asking for are not always on the same page.  Years ago I wanted the school to buy school supplies so I didn't have to buy things like glue sticks, copier paper, etc.   What the Union heard is our members care about an extra 15 minutes in the morning before they have to report at the door to pick up the kids.  I never heard anyone really care about 15 minutes.  Honestly considering how far away I was from the nearest adult rest room it wasn't even enough time for a bathroom trip but that is what the Union spent time negotiating for that and other useless items that had little use or impact on my daily teaching day but they seemed to think were so important when they actually "won one" over the man.  Meanwhile I was shelling out hundreds of dollars outfitting my classroom.

It concerns me that teachers are not trained to teach remotely.  I suspect if you asked teachers one of the complaints the unions aren't addressing is the lack of training and support they've had for the last year on how to adapt curriculum to remote learning because most of the curriculum and supplies they've bought and been trained on were never designed to be taught this way.  The teaching methods they use were never designed to be used remotely.  It is a whole different style and requires a different way of thinking about how you engage, involve, and evaluate student progress.  I suspect very little training and support has been provided.

I said this at the beginning of COVID and I will say it now the politics surrounding COVID have made it very difficult to discuss what is true and what is fear.  People wanted the public to be afraid and to stay home even though we've known for a very long time that children were the least likely to be at risk from this disease unlike seasonal flu.  That didn't fit the narrative and we kept fear mongering and frightening people.  Now we have a public that can use fear as an excuse not to do the jobs they are supposed to do. 

Ironically many of those who created the fear are now frustrated because they can't wipe it all away when the purpose for the fear mongering is over.  Several mayors and Governors who kept the fear going are now extremely frustrated that they can't get the Unions to go back to work.  Funny but in the fall they were standing with the Unions, I wonder what happened in November that suddenly made these Democratic Mayors and Governors change their minds and think perhaps the science is correct and we can open schools.  Surprise we told the Unions it wasn't safe and now they aren't listening to us when we tell them oops yeah that was all politics nothing to see here back to the classrooms.

In areas where schools have been open there have been no major catastrophes as we were told would happen if we didn't shut down and destroy our public education system leaving kids behind the rest of the world.  Perhaps it is time for those who claim to care about the poor and disadvantaged to start a private school system that isn't dependent on the government or the teacher's unions.  There are plenty of rich people in the world out there claiming they care, maybe it's time to do something that really would change lives.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, katyallen8090 said:

well krys, the teachers i know personally, are dedicated Ans want to come back but safely, with minimal risk to the kids, and  themselves, im sure you would feel the same huh  I am glad my daughter is grown as i probably if she were little, would want the teachers back, but at the safest possible available ways  Most in my opinion, are anxious to go back, and see "thier" kids.  I guess to me the glsss is half full, not huff empty huh  to each his own   

What does "safe" look like?  The ball keeps moving on this one and I'm not sure if it is in fact the teachers who are moving it or if they are being manipulated through fear by Unions and those who are working with the Unions on causes that have nothing to do with education and health.

There are schools open across this country that are dealing with the risk as we have for years.  There are real risks of kids not being in school that we never discuss.

Our kids have lost out on a full year of school and around here we aren't even confidentially talking about opening in the fall.  What kind of life will these kids have as adults.  The world was pretty challenging for young adults who finished high school and had attained the basic skills to decide how they would earn a living.  We may look back on the pre-Covid generation who we thought lacked educational skills as being highly educated compared to their COVID peers. 

This is government sanctioned child abuse and neglect.  Fear of COVID is not a reason to jeopardize an entire generation's ability to earn a living in the future.

This Covid topic is enough to give us all a headache.  It is one way one day and another way, another day.  Do we wear a mask or do we wear 5 masks?  Do children get it or do they carry it?

Our schools have been in Session since Sept and there is no major catastrophe going on.  They are learning and playing sports.

The SuperBowl was suppose to be a big spreader of the virus and nothing.  

I have stopped listening to all the propaganda on the virus. 

With all the bad things I am hearing, suicide, opioid use and depression, we have to get these kids back in school  NOW.

I heard the other day a boy in California, has gone from a 4.0 GPA to about a 3.0 or lower.  How is this doing him any good.

Enough, time to get off my soap box.:soap

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

When I was teaching 4th grade DH got me a Build a Bear as a classroom mascot.  He had regular outfits and outfits for the politically correct holidays, (no religious holidays) the kids loved getting to change his outfits.  It was the craziest thing.  Though I no longer teach I still have him and his wardrobe.

My son had Sugar Bear as a class mascot. He went home every weekend with a different child to learn about different families and had a scrapbook of his adventures.

• Like 2

the thing that was kind of nutso here, was them trying to push sports but not in class learning, what the heck message does that send, sports are more important than other subjects?

• Like 1

There is much that is dark in the world to share but I also think it is important to recognize the real good in people.

I broke my nose piece on my glasses today which while not a huge issue is a challenge because my back up glasses are a few generations from my current prescription and in order for these glasses to work properly with the multiple levels they do have to sit correctly or you get blurred vision and headaches.

DH called the eye place to find out what the COVID regulations were for going in to get them replaced thinking we might be able to get in tomorrow as they were about a 1/2 hour away from closing today.  The gentleman asked him how far away we were and when DH told him 10 minutes he told him to come down as it wouldn't take long to finish.  The service was amazing and they could easily have put us off.  There are really kind and thoughtful people out in the world.  Despite all the darkness it is important that we remember those who do go beyond the minimal requirements.

• Like 2

We too often forget to look for the good in people and it doesn't make it into the news very often. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Being kind really doesn't take much effort and I think it can inspire others to be kind in return. We could sure use a snowball effect in that regard. LOL

• Like 2

Last word on the vaccine.  Our govenor has just dropped the age for the shot to 50+.  With Police, Fire and Teachers with first priority.  

They also did a study in Atlanta and found it was the teachers bringing in the Covid, not the germ factories.  

So a beautiful day.  The sun is shinning, it is a bit cool with us into the 50's.  By the end of the week we will be into our summer weather with temps up in the 80's.

I have the afghan and stuffies all ready to be picked up and I am off to finish a dress I was making for an 18" doll.

There are more nice people out there, than we hear about.

Have a fun day.

back from getting covid vaccine, she did put it a little lower after asking if I had problems with the first one, I said yes three days of stiffness in that arm

• Like 1
On 2/21/2021 at 1:50 PM, bgs said:

Renic they gave us the cdc covid vaccination card with our name, birthdate, date of vaccinations, which vaccine, lot number, clinic where given.  We have to remember to take it back so they can fill it the info for the second one.  If you scroll down it shows what it looks like.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/amp34994649/what-are-covid-19-vaccine-cards/

Thanks for the info Brenda. I was curious as when I get my flu and pneumonia vaccines, I'm given the same type documentations. The link to the article about documentation was interesting. Now, just to get the shot! LOL

ETA: I typed this reply the other day. Now, if I can just remember to tap on "Submit Reply" LOL

Edited by ReniC

Good Day to All!

Still no vaccine appt, but, I'm being patient.

I am adding 2 new stitches to the afghan. At the rate I'm going, I wouldn't have the dang thing done until Christmas! Wait, that might be a good thing! LOL  Never mind- I'll just add the new stitches and get it done.

I paid my car tags this morning and that sure puts a crimp in the checkbook since I paid my car insurance the other day. I still don't understand why they don't accept paying annually instead of bi-annually. Weird.

Today would have been our 38th wedding anniversary. I have to say, it's a little bit easier emotionally  than last year was. Still pretty intense though. I'm good though as I have a great family that sees me through these things.

Anyone else see this stunning rug? I would be afraid to walk on it, let alone fear how long it would take me to make it. It is pretty though. The person has some amazing crochet patterns for sale.

We've had a few days of 70's and mixed with typical northwest AZ winds. The legend is, when the pioneers came through this area in the mid-1800's they decided to wait until the wind quit. Well, it never did quit! So the story goes.

Time to run some drive through errands with my daughter. I hope all of you find joy in this day. This time I'll remember to hit send! :hug

Edited by ReniC
add link

Did anyone see the America Strong piece on ABC World News last night?  One woman went online looking for an appointment for a shot which she needed to get before she could have her needed heart surgery. Another woman (who also needed a shot due to compromised immune system) gave the heart surgery woman her appointment because she felt that woman needed it more. They went down together and explained the reason for the swap at the vaccination site and it was allowed.

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 3

Hope all goes well, I go to my DR appt on the 17th of March and am requesting an antibody test so maybe I only have the one shot...I am doing my best to keep as busy as possible.... started the seeds under the grow light my son sent me, read a bit,DH and I worked in the yard a bit... crocheted...

..anyhting to keep me busy and my mind from going nuts...

Ratdog, that was such a sweet story.... so many good people in this world

Love the story ratdog.

I had to laugh this morning.  They were talking to people in Orlando restaurant this morning.  Anyway, the one guy opened a new restaurant in Florida right before the lockdown started.  They asked how it was doing, he said the bar is doing great.  Guess everyone is drinking more.:rofl

Well, just saw the weather and by tomorrow we will be in the 80's.  Guess our winter is done.

Have a great night, hockey is on.

Have fun.

My ref doll sits next to me all year.  He is never far away.

Good Morning everyone.

The pool leak guy is coming today.  I do hope he can find the leak.

We won last night, so all is well.  Tomorrow Dallas comes to town.  We had 4 games in a row the the Carolina Hurricanes.  What a series.

Have a fun day.

Another note on the good news front we've been waiting since before Thanksgiving to get a tree removed from our backyard off our fence.   It's been cancelled twice due to snow which of course creates more tree damage that is more severe than ours dropping us further down the list.

This morning DH is working from home looks out the window and says, "There are 2 strangers in our backyard."  Normally this would be a bad thing but it was the tree people and we are finally free of our November storm damage. 

It was worth the waiting for them they did an excellent job.

Edited by Bailey4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

That is funny about the strangers in the backyard.

We have the pool leak guy here.  Righ now he is putting on a wet suit, so I gather he is going into the pool to fix the leak.

Getting summer back and for those of you who like baseball, the pitchers and catchers are here.  They are now getting ready for Spring Breakers.  Will someone please tell me WHY you need Spring Break if you are not in school?

Ok, well have fun everyone.

2 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

That is funny about the strangers in the backyard.

We have the pool leak guy here.  Righ now he is putting on a wet suit, so I gather he is going into the pool to fix the leak.

Getting summer back and for those of you who like baseball, the pitchers and catchers are here.  They are now getting ready for Spring Breakers.  Will someone please tell me WHY you need Spring Break if you are not in school?

Ok, well have fun everyone.

No strangers in my backyard here (thank Goodness!) but just a note; the Cactus League starts this Sunday down in the Phoenix area. My SIL is a huge Cardinals fan. I'm looking into tickets for him and my DD. DD says baseball bores her out of her mind, but, she's always passed up going to a live game. I think she'd go this time just to do something different.

Did almost 3 miles on my walking bike today. Went to ACE hardware to get hubby another yeti cup. His first one ismin constant use , i am hoping having a second one will let me clean them more regularly.  3 miles may mot seem much but I havent been able to do that walk since last March. 

Spring break, ugh, here we go again! It doesnt happen where I live but last year the governor should have closed the state and the beaches to outsiders. Yes, the vaccine is here and oir seniors are getting protected, but, seniors are not the only ones who live here and we are not out of this pandemic yet. 

• Like 1

Reni we got our second shot Thurs morning.  Our shoulders started hurting in afternoon.  They were really sore Fri. Fri we both felt achy, tired, had chills (temp 99.6°F) headaches and I had some nausea.  I made a point prior to getting the shot to stop my ibuprofen for my knee and my allergy meds because I wanted to see if I could tell the shot caused an immunological response.   I sure wanted some ibuprofen for the headache.  This morning arm is much better and all other symptoms are gone.