granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

3 hours ago, ReniC said:

I finally crocheted some last night! I just haven't felt like doing anything. I ripped out the scarf for the Grt-GD 2x because I just did not like it. I am now over half way finished on the 3rd go at it and am pleased with it. It matches the little drawstring bag I made for her. There are so many things I want to make and when there is no incentive.......all of you get it, right?

Still not feeling that great yet. I put my feet up and read, or sleep, as some of my meds make me drowsy. I have my GD remind me to get up and walk around about every 30 or so minutes. She and my oldest DD have been such huge helps.

My SIL came over yesterday after work and trimmed all the greenery in my yard. It started sprinkling just as he was finishing up, but, only enough to tease, it never did do anything productive. I had such high hopes for some rain in this dry ol' desert. It's completely clear out today with deep blue high desert skies and a high of 85°F. At least it not blistery hot anymore and no wind today.

Today I'll rummage through a few of the many yarn storage boxes to see what I can make some ear warmers out of. Right now I can only concentrate on small projects- and here I have 3 afghans to make for Christmas- yeah right. I don't think I'm going to succeed with those. I'm not sure what to make the 4year old grt-GS as he doesn't like hats but, it does get cold and wet where they live. I don't think he'll wear gloves either. 

I just read that England is going on Lockdown again as of Thursday. Too many new Covid-19 cases. We are still having new cases in our county daily. When I do go somewhere, which is hardly at all, I always wear a fresh mask and still practice safe distancing. Hope everyone is doing well and is healthy and happy. We will get through this!       OH! And I did vote (by mail). I sure hope this post doesn't sound like a downer. I really do feel blessed for so many things that are great in my life and give thanks all the time. My glass is always half full! Love you all!

Not a downer at all, just love hearing from you!!!

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good Morning.  Very cool things you made for your niece. You all have probably seen this, but thought you could use a laugh.  

I keep myself very busy! Here's a grey basket I crocheted. I turned around and made a black one. Now onto a two tone purple one for daughter. I made a bunch of the smaller ones and washcloths to

Posted Images

1 hour ago, minwifeof4boys said:

Not a downer at all, just love hearing from you!!!

Awe- Thank you Lea. Back to scrounging around my yarn buckets! 

It is always good to hear from you Reni.  I wish I was closer, so I could help with the afghans. It would be fun to make them again.  Like you, it gets to hot here to work on them.

Nice that you have so much help and company.

I also voted by mail.  Makes it easier to read and understand the amendments.  They make them so complicated. 

We are still cool 60 this morning, but still to cold for me.  I have been here to long.  It is 29 years since I lived in Jersey.

Well, off to try and figure out what to cook, to heat the place up.  To early to turn on the heater.

Have a fun day and keep smiling.

14 hours ago, ratdog said:

Maybe the  4 yo grt - GS  would wear one of those "chain mail" hoods that a knight wears!  

That's a good suggestion but he refuses to put anything on his head. Now if his mom would get his hair cut, it might be a different story. He's never had a haircut!

4 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

It is always good to hear from you Reni.  I wish I was closer, so I could help with the afghans. It would be fun to make them again.  Like you, it gets to hot here to work on them.

Nice that you have so much help and company.

I also voted by mail.  Makes it easier to read and understand the amendments.  They make them so complicated. 

We are still cool 60 this morning, but still to cold for me.  I have been here to long.  It is 29 years since I lived in Jersey.

Well, off to try and figure out what to cook, to heat the place up.  To early to turn on the heater.

Have a fun day and keep smiling.

Hi Mary Jo: That would be fun to crochet together. If a friend of mine and I weren't on the golf course, we used to get together 2x a week and bead and crochet. We had so much fun back then. Lots of retirees on my street, but, since I don't get out much anymore since I moved back into town, and since Covid hit, I don't know anyone.  I had the heater on for a few days when we had that below-freezing cold snap last week, but, my AC has been back on for comfort in the afternoons. My GD and I made stuffed green peppers last night. I of course had to skip the peppers, but, the flavor was in the meat stuffing and mashed potatoes with the sauce on it was tasty.

Hopefully, I'll finish that blasted scarf sometime today. I found a few open skeins of yarn yesterday for ear warmers for Christmas gifts. Then another scarf for my GD. I've made a scarf every year for her since she was 12yo. She's 29 now and has kept every single one. Yay!

LOOK at that Granny Square Christmas Tree! :)

There was no pattern, but should not be hard to figure this one out! LOL

I remember few years ago I made Granny Square Christmas Tree (Hanger). BUT,  those  Granny Squares I made were different design. 

HAPPY CROCHETING! :ctree

Krys

NOT MY PICTURE! 

image.png.cf5d25d46967b527cc346927dad0d507.png

2 hours ago, Maryarn said:

Hi Krys - that is a beautiful project. I love that! The star is fantastic too!

Hello & Thank You Maryarn :)

Welcome to our Granny Square chat and more..."Bunch" LOL. You can find everything & anything here... From  pictures of beautiful crochet work, Weather Forecast from different area's in our country, what's for dinners LOL  and a LOT more... 

How long you been crocheting?. What do you like to crochet?.

We all got our preferences when it comes to crocheting. 

Have a Great Day!

Krys

Hi Krys- I love your tree! The star is perfect on it.

Here is a pattern I've had stashed for some time now. I copied it last year with the intent to make it, but, never got around to it. I've seen it made in several color schemes. My favorite is the white yarn with gold trim and gold buttons. White with red trims  is pretty also. Another pattern. There are several on the Internet, but these came to mind first.

• Like 1

Thank You Reni :)

I made that star double (2 stars sewn together - around on edges).  I did not wanted that star to look "floppy" .

If you ever will make that Tree I got a good advice for you and everyone else. After you finish making that tree you need to provide support for all those squares in a back. Just cut out a piece or two 1" wide out that "plastic mesh" sheet. Glue that  plastic strip to the back of that tree (in a middle, top to bottom). I done that to my Tree because I seen a picture of similar Tree hanging on a door ALL STRETCHED DOWN!.  Was looking "skinny" & out of shape, even all those corners on both sides were curling up because of that.  That did not look good :( I think all that weight of that yarn in those squares was pulling everything down. To prevent that I came up with that idea of  hot gluing  a  piece of plastic strip to the back.

Have a Nice Day!

Krys  

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 5:37 PM, USpolishgirl said:

Here is my Granny Square Christmas Tree!  :wreath:ctree . And some Tree ornaments 

LOOK at that STAR I made - (second picture) :cheer 

I made that while ago..

HAPPY HOLIDAYS! :sheepxmas

Krys

4 Christmas items 2013.JPG

P1080328.JPG

Those are BEAUTIFUL, Kris! Thanks for sharing!!

• Like 1

God morning!

My email hasn't worked in over a week. I'm telling you guys it's always something. I need to figure out how to get my pictures and patterns off my iPad . Maybe putting them on a flash drive. I don't know who to ask how to do that. I'm sure if I was walked through it I can do it. My iPad is like 7-8 years old but not willing to trade I in yet or I can't even get a new yet... I love my iPad!!!!   It just needs to stay working... 

I'm cleaning out my den today and the rest of the week and redoing the floor. Yep doing it myself and brother in law and sister will help me. I'm actually excited to put the wood floor down and get rid of the carpet.... Then I'll put up the Christmas tree in there.... 

6 hours ago, owlvamp said:

God morning!

My email hasn't worked in over a week. I'm telling you guys it's always something. I need to figure out how to get my pictures and patterns off my iPad . Maybe putting them on a flash drive. I don't know who to ask how to do that. I'm sure if I was walked through it I can do it. My iPad is like 7-8 years old but not willing to trade I in yet or I can't even get a new yet... I love my iPad!!!!   It just needs to stay working... 

If you type your question directly into google "how do I transfer files from an ipad to a flash drive?"  It may give you results that will help.  Im not trying to be obvious but I have been surprised by how specific questions can be and get results.

Edited by ratdog

Krys- Thank you for the advice on support for the Christmas tree. I'm thinking, maybe, make double the amount of squares and put the support on the inside with a dowel in the middle. I saw one last year somewhere online that was the length of the front door it hung on. I wonder if that one stretched. 

Bailey4: The turkey is very cute. I can see it sitting on the dinner table with wiggly eyes looking at the edible turkey! Ha- That would probably get a laugh or 2! Thanks for the link.

Owlvamp: Glad you were able to log on. You should be able to get that info online. I don't use Apple products so I can't guide you, but, it's easy enough with android and PC's. Go to Apple's website or type in your Internet search bar, "how to transfer from iPad to a flash drive". You'll get tons of info. Just be sure your flash drive is iPad compatible. Oops- just saw ratdog posted the same thing for you.

It sprinkled this afternoon. And no, not enough to brag about. I did see a rainbow and got a pic of it. We had 50 MPH gusts though. The dust flew around like someone was throwing buckets of it! Tomorrow will be in the low 50's and rain. More rain Sunday but much colder. And wind of course. Can't live in any desert without wind. 

Tonight I look forward to some TV and crocheting. It's so quiet here. The GD and her dog are out for the evening. I love this quiet. Hope all are well and happy. Toodleoo........... Reni

rainbow.jpg

5 hours ago, ReniC said:

Krys- Thank you for the advice on support for the Christmas tree. I'm thinking, maybe, make double the amount of squares and put the support on the inside with a dowel in the middle. I saw one last year somewhere online that was the length of the front door it hung on. I wonder if that one stretched. 

Reni you are Welcome :). You are talking about a very long tree.. That kind of tree would definitely  need support, probably a  different kind of support. Was that Tree "skinny" and very long?. How wide about was at the bottom?. I am asking about the width of that tree (those squares) because that big tree might need support  not only from top to bottom but maybe from side to side on each of those squares?, so would not end up looking like a "Crying Tree" (branches going down..) LOL.

The bigger that Tree will get and more yarn used the heavier will get.  Because of that it will have more "power" to pull down. Reni, I think you are looking for trouble.. LOL

Take care :)

Krys

On 11/4/2020 at 4:06 PM, USpolishgirl said:

LOOK at that Granny Square Christmas Tree! :)

There was no pattern, but should not be hard to figure this one out! LOL

I remember few years ago I made Granny Square Christmas Tree (Hanger). BUT,  those  Granny Squares I made were different design. 

HAPPY CROCHETING! :ctree

Krys

NOT MY PICTURE! 

image.png.cf5d25d46967b527cc346927dad0d507.png

0h i actually made one similar, and sold it at a craft fair lol  easy peasy years ago