Jump to content
katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, cshort said:

Hello Everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well. Things here are busy but good.

here too carol, thanks for checking in   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi all  i am finished with ghan number five, so Five is Alive lol  everything boxed up sealed noted, and addressed yesterday so sometime this week at least one of the big boxes will go, there are to big boxes, and they are heavy too  so i told handy he can take one at a time as they are so cumbersome  here is a pic lol  

DSC00095.JPG

DSC00094.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure if or when i will do more, im sure i will, to use up what squares i have but will take a break for a week or so frpm it all  there is no way Pam did not have help with this, there are three of us seaming, and we can hardly keep up lol so far, i know the other two seamers are getting close to, or have   maybe  finished a ghan, but nothing posted yet i feel lonely lol   ah well my persoanl goal was 4 by the end of the year, and im ahead of my game!! 😁😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

wow tv going out probably huh, bummer   they just dont mark things to last, well cept for death, taxes and mother nature lol  

Ain't that the truth.  Now there are 2 shinny spots on the tv.  Not bad unless you are watching Hockey.  Then you can't find the puck.  No football this year.  You are all saved from that.

Getting ready to shut down.  So I will say Good Night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Morning up at 6.  Beat the sun up this morning.

Katy I love the afghan.

I have found that when I have a package that is awkward or even a small one. If I want to send it Priority, I print a label from the PO.  I use to be able to print regular labels, but they stopped that.  I also have the mailman pick it up.  Much easier on me.

Not much going on today.  Going to take it easy.  Foot Dr. tomorrow and regular Dr. (with flu shot) on Tuesday.

Have a fun day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Good Morning up at 6.  Beat the sun up this morning.

Katy I love the afghan.

I have found that when I have a package that is awkward or even a small one. If I want to send it Priority, I print a label from the PO.  I use to be able to print regular labels, but they stopped that.  I also have the mailman pick it up.  Much easier on me.

Not much going on today.  Going to take it easy.  Foot Dr. tomorrow and regular Dr. (with flu shot) on Tuesday.

Have a fun day.

If I am not mistaken that Post Office is charging a lot more for those packages they need to pick up from home.. I think they are charging everything at Priority mail rates. Those regular/low rates for shipping charges, person can only get when it goes to Post Office.

My Post Office will NOT even pick-up  returns with pre-paid  return labels. According to HSN & QVC post office should pick up those returns. I guess my Post Office have their OWN RULES! and nothing can be done about that!.

Krys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

i all  i am finished with ghan number five, so Five is Alive lol  everything boxed up sealed noted, and addressed yesterday so sometime this week at least one of the big boxes will go, there are to big boxes, and they are heavy too  so i told handy he can take one at a time as they are so cumbersome  here is a pic lol  

Are those people who are sending to you those Granny Squares sending you some money to cover that shipping cost for those afghans??

Krys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Good Morning up at 6.  Beat the sun up this morning.

Katy I love the afghan.

I have found that when I have a package that is awkward or even a small one. If I want to send it Priority, I print a label from the PO.  I use to be able to print regular labels, but they stopped that.  I also have the mailman pick it up.  Much easier on me.

Not much going on today.  Going to take it easy.  Foot Dr. tomorrow and regular Dr. (with flu shot) on Tuesday.

Have a fun day.

i  didnt now they did a pick up thing im going to have to look into that  how do you know how much it will be though, do they collect right there, or do you use your debit card or what?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

Are those people who are sending to you those Granny Squares sending you some money to cover that shipping cost for those afghans??

Krys

postage is never required, but always appreciated, lol  i just save it up dollar by dollar till i get enough to mail it   this mailing three boxes worth containing my 5, another lady's one and 3 scarves and 3 hats, is going to be way over what i collected so far,in postage or dollars,  but i do want to get them out before winter, so making up that difference, will be a part of my donation krys  thanks for the question    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

If I am not mistaken that Post Office is charging a lot more for those packages they need to pick up from home.. I think they are charging everything at Priority mail rates. Those regular/low rates for shipping charges, person can only get when it goes to Post Office.

My Post Office will NOT even pick-up  returns with pre-paid  return labels. According to HSN & QVC post office should pick up those returns. I guess my Post Office have their OWN RULES! and nothing can be done about that!.

Krys

ah the catch huh    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well so i guess as long as one of us can do it, we will huh  lol thanks mj i had a lot of blue in this one lol also my fav color lol   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, katyallen8090 said:

i  didnt now they did a pick up thing im going to have to look into that  how do you know how much it will be though, do they collect right there, or do you use your debit card or what?? 

You have to know the weight, they also will use debit or credit.  The only catch I have seen is that it must be Priority shipping.  If you go on the USPS web site, you will see on the top, mail & ship.  It steps you thru the process and then you can set up a pick-up after you are done.

Krys if you have the package picked up during your regular delivery it cost $0 for pick-up.  If you want a special pick-up it will cost you $20.00.  I always go with the regular pick-up.  You tell them where it will be and POOF it gets picked-up.  That is my experience anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Krys if you have the package picked up during your regular delivery it cost $0 for pick-up.  If you want a special pick-up it will cost you $20.00.  I always go with the regular pick-up.  You tell them where it will be and POOF it gets picked-up.  That is my experience anyway.

MJ WHAT kind of package pick-up you are talking about??

If you are talking about RETURNS with PRE-_PAID return label,  like they are sending from HSN or QVC. Our Post Office will NOT pick that up at all. Dos not matter what time!. O do, according to HSN & QVC Post Office should be picking those packages with out any questions!!. I was told it is their job to pick-up those returns with that pre-paid return labels FREE of charge because they get pay for that. BUT, as I mentioned above our Post Office do not want to do that!. They been doing that for many years....!. They do have "contracts" with those company's and they should obey them!I I think someone should "straighten" them up!!. I just do not want to start with that at this time. And I am talking about regular delivery times. THEY WILL NOT PICK THEM UP AT ANY TIME OR AT ANY DAY!!.

The other thing is about charges for shipping packages with pick-up (NOT RETURNS). I am talking about those that you go on your computer and tell them the destination where that package is going to, weight and size. They will tell you the prize and you will pay with your credit card. After that you will be able to print out that label to put on that package. I been talking about much higher charges for those packages than going to Post Office and ship them from there (not with pick up). YES, If you have a "Priority Mail Box" they will charge you their SET fee for that size. But, if you will get your own box (NOT Priority Box). You will be charge a LOT more per pound & size than you would go to Post Office. And they do not charge for those extra fee for pick-up. They will just "rip you off" on that shipping fee. Because on Line Post Office do NOT offer the "cheapest way of delivery" in Post Office they do,  YOU JUST NEED ASK FOR THAT.

YES, if you want EXTRA INSURANCE on any of those you WILL need to pay extra $$... Or if you want a "expedite" delivery or maybe you would like to get return receipt with signature from that recipient to be sent to you. For ALL OF THAT ABOVE ARE EXTRA CHARGES. I assume we all know about that. And I am NOT complaining about any of that :).

Krys

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Krys if you have the package picked up during your regular delivery it cost $0 for pick-up.  If you want a special pick-up it will cost you $20.00.  I always go with the regular pick-up.  You tell them where it will be and POOF it gets picked-up.  That is my experience anyway.

I forgot to add above something very important. And that is: That "Cheapest way of delivery " from Post Office is working exactly THE SAME WAY than that overcharge price on Line with pick-up . That one that you print out your label from your computer & you pay with your Credit Card on line (at Post Office site). Both ways of shipping takes exactly THE SAME AMOUNT OF DAYS FOR DELIVERY!!. I know I checked that many times.. To my daughter takes 1-2 days, to my son in Boston 2-3 days, my friend in Arizona 3-4 days.

I just thought I need to explain that here. So someone would not think that "CHEAPEST WAY" from post office might be taking longer for delivery. It dos NOT! :). Post Office sending those packages THE SAME WAY!. They just charge a lot more when you pay them on line & they will pick that up.

Krys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow this is a lot of info, i think we will just two-wheel out the box(s) when we go out soon lol  thank you though  i know here, mail runs at least two weeks or sometimes more what with the po cuts now, especially, boxes , it is ridiculous if you ask me, and i am now p'o about it lol  

      ok now a general question for those in the know lol  i have several skeins full ones of homespun  in several colors, and was asking what all besides scarves or hats   they would work for as i dont think they are suitable for squares, unless i had enough for a whole ghan in them lol  so, any ideas at all would give me something to think about at least, like i have that kind of time anymore lol  ok well thanks now later all!!  🖤🤎💜💙

 

Edited by katyallen8090

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, katyallen8090 said:

 

      ok now a general question for those in the know lol  i have several skeins full ones in several colors, and was asking what all besides scarves or hats   they would work for as i dont think they are suitable for squares, unless i had enough for a whole ghan in them lol  so, any ideas at all would give me something to think about at least, like i have that kind of time anymore lol  ok well thanks now later all!!  🖤🤎💜💙

 

AMIGURUMI! :)

Krys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

.................... ok now a general question for those in the know lol  i have several skeins full ones in several colors, and was asking what all besides scarves or hats   they would work for as i dont think they are suitable for squares, unless i had enough for a whole ghan in them lol  so, any ideas at all would give me something to think about at least, like i have that kind of time anymore lol  ok well thanks now later all!!  🖤🤎💜💙

 

If you are making for donations, how about mittens? This no frills pattern is in 3 sizes that might work well.

All is pretty good here. Sunday's my daughter and SIL cook and serve dinner for me. Yesterday she made Chicken Pot Pies that was the best I ever had. So good. She cleans the kitchen too- How blessed am I! She comes by every single day to check on me and also helps me clean my house. I think she made a promise to my husband before he passed away to help me as much as possible but she wouldn't admit that.

I finished a stuffed mouse (except the eyes) for my GS's new kittens. I'm not sure about the eyes, I may just embroider them on. I thought I'd make a few for him then get back to my Treasure box for the Grt-GK's.

The weather finally settled down here. We had a few days in the 70's and 50's at night (What!?) now it's back to the mid-90's. So strange. We can tell that Fall is almost here in the evenings. Then it's back to making afghans for me!

Hope all have a great day! 

ReniC

Edited by ReniC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catching up with every one, and said a prayer for those who needed it for things going on..

as for me..on my drive to help with boys I ate junk food, followed by more junk food on the way home ( they live an hour and a half away), came home and drank some wine and ate half a bag of chili cheese fritos.... promptly woke up with..... a bleeding ulcer... yup... all the fun things that go with... meds for the next three months and a week of rest... hate I'll not be going to help out this week as Wyatt is still on virtual school , and with this autism and the other 2 boys plus Amelia Jeremy and Kathy are going nuts.... On the upside I probably will live to see another day and have the whole week to myself crocheting and reading... more crochet

This year has sure been a heck of a year....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reni that is great that you have someone to check on you.  I miss a homemade Chicken Pot Pie.  I could never get the hang of that.

Oh Lea, Take the time and rest and relax.  No stress.  Anyway DH can go somewhere for the week.?:rofl  Only kidding.

Off to the Dr. today and see what he has to say.  Lots of rain and clouds today.

Praying for those in the Pan Handle, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.  Take care, the hurricane has slowed down to 2 miles an hour.  They expect to stick around for several days.  Be careful and we are all watching.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ReniC said:

If you are making for donations, how about mittens? This no frills pattern is in 3 sizes that might work well.

All is pretty good here. Sunday's my daughter and SIL cook and serve dinner for me. Yesterday she made Chicken Pot Pies that was the best I ever had. So good. She cleans the kitchen too- How blessed am I! She comes by every single day to check on me and also helps me clean my house. I think she made a promise to my husband before he passed away to help me as much as possible but she wouldn't admit that.

I finished a stuffed mouse (except the eyes) for my GS's new kittens. I'm not sure about the eyes, I may just embroider them on. I thought I'd make a few for him then get back to my Treasure box for the Grt-GK's.

The weather finally settled down here. We had a few days in the 70's and 50's at night (What!?) now it's back to the mid-90's. So strange. We can tell that Fall is almost here in the evenings. Then it's back to making afghans for me!

Hope all have a great day! 

ReniC

well i meant to say the yarn is homespun, lol  sorry bout that i dont do mittens, as i can never make two the same lol  thanks though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

AMIGURUMI! :)

Krys

never did that but homespun which is what i have, i think wouldn't work with that  its very thick and i guess i can use some of it for trim on afghans huh  oh well back on the shelf it goes lol  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, katyallen8090 said:

well i meant to say the yarn is homespun, lol  sorry bout that i dont do mittens, as i can never make two the same lol  thanks though 

That's okay. Not many I know like to crochet or knit mittens. I haven't in years.

Then how about a stuffed animal? (Be sure to scroll all the way down if interested)

Or a dog sweater? Or crochet a bed runner?

I made a runner out of Homespun for the back of my toilet. Turned out nice and goes with my décor perfect.

Edited by ReniC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checking in,got back home today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

never did that but homespun which is what i have, i think wouldn't work with that  its very thick and i guess i can use some of it for trim on afghans huh  oh well back on the shelf it goes lol  

You are right., Homespun yarn would not work for making Amigurumi. It wood work very well for hats or scarfs. I know you mentioned that above you not want o make that. Maybe a nice soft blankie for your Kitty? :). That probably would not work either because of that "loopy" yarn & their nails. Maybe nice warm/thick socks for you? :). I am sure you will find something.... to make out of that yarn.

Krys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...