katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

That is just very sad seeing all those huge fires on TV :(.

It is very scary even looking at that..

Krys

While ago I bought a pattern for Sock Monkey Ragdoll. I even got all that Velvet yarn needed. I do love that Monkey on that picture :). I am just not so sure about that Velvet yarn for kids toys. I cut out small  piece of that yarn to see how that is going to work when crochet?. 

What I find out that is not a very strong yarn. I think those little fuzzy's will be coming out loose. And you better make every stitch "right", NO frogging allowed. It is very hard to rip that,  that yarn is getting damaged  when ripped.

And NO drying in a dryer :(. That is why I do not think that is a good yarn for kids. Kids stuff needs to be washed very often. And HOW on earth that stuffy head will dry without dryer??, that might take few days... Maybe that will start smelling bad before get dry :(.

Here is that beautiful picture of that Sock Monkey Ragdoll - lovey. I do love that dark brown color of that Velvet yarn on those Monkey's :)

Krys

NOT MY PICTURE!

image.png.d409594b016cb71e6a6e65190f504e14.png

On 8/18/2020 at 3:44 PM, ReniC said:

You noticed I wrote "tempted", right? 😄 

oh yeah lol  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, USpolishgirl said:

While ago I bought a pattern for Sock Monkey Ragdoll. I even got all that Velvet yarn needed. I do love that Monkey on that picture :). I am just not so sure about that Velvet yarn for kids toys. I cut out small  piece of that yarn to see how that is going to work when crochet?. 

What I find out that is not a very strong yarn. I think those little fuzzy's will be coming out loose. And you better make every stitch "right", NO frogging allowed. It is very hard to rip that,  that yarn is getting damaged  when ripped.

And NO drying in a dryer :(. That is why I do not think that is a good yarn for kids. Kids stuff needs to be washed very often. And HOW on earth that stuffy head will dry without dryer??, that might take few days... Maybe that will start smelling bad before get dry :(.

Here is that beautiful picture of that Sock Monkey Ragdoll - lovey. I do love that dark brown color of that Velvet yarn on those Monkey's :)

Krys

NOT MY PICTURE!

image.png.d409594b016cb71e6a6e65190f504e14.png

cute, but like you say, not real practical but maybe for older kids?? 

Edited by katyallen8090
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, USpolishgirl said:

That is just very sad seeing all those huge fires on TV :(.

It is very scary even looking at that..

Krys

it so is so sad   

• Sad 1

it seems like the beginning of the end of the world as we know it you know but even with fires, new growth will return, but the animals, who knows where they go   or if they can come back??

• Sad 1

Hello everyone.

I have been back at work for a week, today was the first day back online with students and I am tired. 

I hope everyone is doing well and I will try to catch up on posts soon.

1 hour ago, cshort said:

Hello everyone.

I have been back at work for a week, today was the first day back online with students and I am tired. 

She thought she could ..... but she was Friday night Teacher Tired .... so she didnt!

(First week back is the most exhausting of the whole year!)

On 8/17/2020 at 3:10 PM, katyallen8090 said:

ok well number 4 is off the hook just awaits laundering and packing  i think i can fit  the two 50 by 6 0 somthing  0nes in one box for mailing ill try anyway  made from all donated squares from rav's afghan squares  for PINE ridge Reservation   number 5 has been thought about but not fully planned out yet, ill take a bit of time off before i start that one i think  my personal goal was to finish and mail 4 by Dec.  im there, other than washing and mailing  lol   so anyone say break time lol  i will do more but need a week or so before i do that   enjoy and im getting a diet coke now lol  sorry my floor was not big enough to fit it all in lol but you get the idea, right   

DSC00083.JPG

I really do love htese sort of blankets, if I can get a break from having grandbabies I think I am going to make one of these for our beds

3 hours ago, cshort said:

Hello everyone.

missed ya, welcome back!!

8 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

it seems like the beginning of the end of the world as we know it you know but even with fires, new growth will return, but the animals, who knows where they go   or if they can come back??

Yes all those poor animals...just to think about that it breaks my heart :(:(:(. The worst part is that there is nothing I can do to save them!! :(

I love all animals so much....And I am doing my best for a time being to help them. I do donate money to couple Animal shelters in Wisconsin (no kill). Those two shelters are very good for those animals. My daughter knows those two shelters very well. I also donate money to one of the animal shelters close to me.  Those shelters they will get part of money after I am gone. I got them in my Will :)

Krys

9 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

Yes all those poor animals...just to think about that it breaks my heart :(:(:(. The worst part is that there is nothing I can do to save them!! :(

I love all animals so much....And I am doing my best for a time being to help them. I do donate money to couple Animal shelters in Wisconsin (no kill). Those two shelters are very good for those animals. My daughter knows those two shelters very well. I also donate money to one of the animal shelters close to me.  Those shelters they will get part of money after I am gone. I got them in my Will :)

Krys

you are a good person Krys, thank you for what you do, to help  we also have a no kill center here and i am on their list as a donor, and also donate bags of food and cat mats and other necessities to them  im glad to know you are helping too   i cant go in there though, as i then want to take them all hi=ome with me!!  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

...... . I do love that dark brown color of that Velvet yarn on those Monkey's :)

Krys

The doll is so cute. I like the face on this one. Maybe the pattern artist can give you more info about using that yarn for the Sock Monkey.

9 hours ago, ReniC said:

The doll is so cute. I like the face on this one. Maybe the pattern artist can give you more info about using that yarn for the Sock Monkey.

Reni I Know those Monkey's are sooo cute :). Specially made with that Velvet yarn in chocolate brown color :).  I do not need any more information from anyone like that designer on that Velvet yarn.  By now I know everything about that, I checked that. 

I KNOW WHY that designer made those Monkey with that VELVET yarn, because looks sooo CUTE & she would be able to sell more patterns. Using just a plain yarn those Monkey's on that picture would not look as cute. 

YES, she made them with that Velvet yarn just to take those very cute pictures!! LOL. BUT that yarn it is absolutely not good ( not strong enough) for any Monkey or Lovey or any toys for little kids. And that Air drying thing with a stuffie that is NO!, NO! in my opinion. Unless someone would live in Arizona and wash them in summer time LOL. That probably would dry very fast there. Here drying time of those big stuffie heads would take probably few days...Mildew would start growing inside before that  would ever got dried LOL.

More about that yarn, Like I mentioned above that can not be ripped in case of any mistake. No matter how slow & careful I was trying to frog few stitches on my swatch. It was NOT easy,  on top of that yarn was coming out damaged. In a middle (inside) of that Velvet yarn there is a very thin strong white thread and all those Fuzzy's are connected to that thread. Those Fuzzy's are MOVING/SLIDING to the sides when yarn get ripped. At that time a bunch of red fuzzy's getting loose and flying in air.  Even only to be  pulled gently by fingers to opposite sides there will be a GAB left in a middle showing that white thread from inside. 

For me it would not be a problem to crochet all of that with out ripping any part IF I have to pay attention to my work LOL.  The big problem is: Kids when they are playing they pull stuff, they even putting part of  that to their mount and suck on that. Their mounts probably be full of Fuzzy's! :(. And that toy would not look good any longer full of empty gabs. It would look like a mouth with s missing teeth..here & there LOL.

That yarn definatetly- 100% is not good for any child toys!. I might have to use that Velvet yarn for DECOR ONLY - Amigurumi.  That white yarn I can use for Easter Bunny's or a cute Snowman :). I am not sure what I could do with that Chocolate dark brown color?. At first I thought I could make a Chocolate Bunny's :). That was just a bad idea, because Chocolate Bunny's are NOT fuzzy! LOL.  I guess I will need to think of something else..I know I will use that for something....I am not in a Rush to have to figure that one now :). 

I do have a couple older kids next door. They do not play with Stuffie's any longer. But they do love my Amigurumi. I crochet a lot for them when they were little younger. Now they store everything what I made for them in box. Before each Holiday they get that stuff out & decorate with that. My granddaughter always want more of cute Snowman's & Easter Bunny's for decorations :). They have too many of them..........

YES, I am very disapointed about that Velvet yarn & those Sock Monkey's. But I am the one to blame for that. I should have at least checked if that Velvet yarn was machine washable & if can be dried using a dryer. But I did not done that.  O Well....we sometimes make mistakes..

Krys

I forgot to add. At least I was smart to just try that yarn crocheting a small swath before starting making those Monkey's. Crocheting that swatch everything was fine. UNTIL I tried to frog that. I just wanted to see how that yarn will behave when it comes to ripping?. That was when I find out everything about that yarn :(.

O do, that air drying thing it was a Big Red Flag to me from that time I got that yarn & read those instructions on label. IF i would knew that and only because of that I would never bought that Velvet yarn for kids toys.

If anyone would like to use that Velvet yarn. Here is a free advice :). You probably should not be pulling that yarn from inside the ball, I think that could damage that yarn too. Pull that yarn from the outer side.

Krys

I love the colors of all the squares.

I just read an article that the humane society is asking people to put their domestic animals in at night and put water out for the wild animals that are fleeing the fires.  As they put it they are now homeless, scared and thirsty.  It is pretty scary watching the fires.

Well, thought I would come in and say Hi.

Oh I saw another T that said I do not horde yarn, I just crochet slower than I shop. :rofl

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

i have never seen or been in or near a Forrest fire, but can you imagine the horror of it all  people for the most part can get out of the way, hopefully but the critters, you know  sad   

did some cleaning up my craft room today i do that when i complete something so i dont have to start in a mess, and make a bigger mess lol 

I got all 4 ghans i had made for Pine Ridge all freshly laundered, and dried, checked for fuzzys or seams open and put them in bags, and got 3 of them in the big box i had and one in its own smaller box as it was claustrophobic squishing in on top f the others and assured me it would be just fine traveling alone. when they embark in the fall  on their exciting journey to their new homes at Pine Ridge and just in time for the winter weather too lol  so i guess im taking a couple days and getting once again organized, to think about Number Five lol  its i n there, in my brain, somewhere, but always depends on the people and squares sent that allows me to make them!!so thanks to all those good people out there, much obliged   to be sure!!   

Edited by katyallen8090

12 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

I forgot to add. At least I was smart to just try that yarn crocheting a small swath before starting making those Monkey's. Crocheting that swatch everything was fine. UNTIL I tried to frog that. I just wanted to see how that yarn will behave when it comes to ripping?. That was when I find out everything about that yarn :(.

O do, that air drying thing it was a Big Red Flag to me from that time I got that yarn & read those instructions on label. IF i would knew that and only because of that I would never bought that Velvet yarn for kids toys.

If anyone would like to use that Velvet yarn. Here is a free advice :). You probably should not be pulling that yarn from inside the ball, I think that could damage that yarn too. Pull that yarn from the outer side.

Krys

poor krys, you just had such a time with that darn velvet stuff lol  im sorry it didn't work out for you    but on the good side, you made us all laugh hen you spoke of the red fuzzies lol  🧡🧡💛💚💙

Posted (edited)

Mary Jo love that horder t-shirt.  I tell dh some women buy shoes/purses I buy yarn.  

Krys glad to hear your first hand evaluation of that yarn.  I definitely do not want to buy/work with it.

Katy I am so proud of your afghans for PRR and how you energized the Ravelry group.  Its such a great way to honor Pam.

Hoping all is going well with Lyn.  I sent an email to Rene but havent heard anything.

I have been working on our trees a lot as they were neglected last year.  These are starting to look ok.  Having some problems with chipmunks and squirrels here digging in pots.  Thats why there are all those toothpicks in some of the pots

20200821_104824.thumb.jpg.7ca9085490a17b7f59b93fda85dedb87.jpg

20200821_103721.thumb.jpg.5fef0e0e6a93d936904619213d58cd10.jpg

20200821_104619.thumb.jpg.67e54759653e2e789f75ec3190dad1a6.jpg

20200821_114026.thumb.jpg.0212d7f884b0531dbcad804dc9eb2c3b.jpg

20200821_111706.thumb.jpg.8dd99695c4681f230ca24309810e23da.jpg

Edited by bgs

Poor Doggy.  I don't think he likes them as much as his grandma

IMG_5811.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I love it.  I needed the laugh.  I saw a picture something like this and the caption was We Need to get the back to work.

Love the trees Brenda.  Facinating the way you cut them.

Edited by Tampa Doll