katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

3 hours ago, ReniC said:

Here, here! I so agree with this. The new generation belongs to the "Gimme Gang". I used to tell my kids that when they were kids. Now they tell their kids that.

Well, everything must be perfect in the photos they post on instagram!

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

a gift should be appreciated tany way it is given  i would not make another i dont think lol  

Katy you are right,  I am "pisst" the way she handle that new "request".  If she would not be a daughter of my best friend she would not be getting another blanket.  For sure I am not in rush to make that for her. I already told them that,  and I made up couple excuses ....

Besides that I told her she needs to buy that yarn herself.  Because she needs to make sure she will get the right shade of pink, that one she likes. I told her I can't do that because many times the color of yarn looks very different on a computer screen than in reality. That way she will be able to see that yarn & color in person and maybe have to return that yarn? if the shade of that pink is not to her liking. Since she lives now in a different State (not very far, she drives here every couple months to visit her mother) she can bring that yarn next time she comes here. That is the only way to take care of that. I even suggested maybe she should try going to Joann or Micheal's store and see if they have what she likes?. 

In reality that is a lot of BS I am feeding her because I do know what shade of pink looks very nice & she would like that.  I do know that yarn very well (Bernat Blanket Yarn). I made many Pet blankets for donations after my Cesar died.  Adding to that 4 baby blankets I went thru OVER 50 BIG balls in many different colors/shades of that yarn.  She do not know that. But I do think in this case she deserves a little inconvenience!  I think I am starting to enjoy all of that...maybe little too much? LOL

It would been a very different story IF she would told me: "I like that blanket you made and I would love to have another one with pink color in it".  In that case I would been very happy to buy that yarn and make that blanket as soon as possible. Well...to bad for her! :(.

Krys

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

Katy you are right,  I am "pisst" the way she handle that new "request".  If she would not be a daughter of my best friend she would not be getting another blanket.  For sure I am not in rush to make that for her. I already told them that,  and I made up couple excuses ....

Besides that I told her she needs to buy that yarn herself.  Because she needs to make sure she will get the right shade of pink, that one she likes. I told her I can't do that because many times the color of yarn looks very different on a computer screen than in reality. That way she will be able to see that yarn & color in person and maybe have to return that yarn? if the shade of that pink is not to her liking. Since she lives now in a different State (not very far, she drives here every couple months to visit her mother) she can bring that yarn next time she comes here. That is the only way to take care of that. I even suggested maybe she should try going to Joann or Micheal's store and see if they have what she likes?. 

In reality that is a lot of BS I am feeding her because I do know what shade of pink looks very nice & she would like that.  I do know that yarn very well (Bernat Blanket Yarn). I made many Pet blankets for donations after my Cesar died.  Adding to that 4 baby blankets I went thru OVER 50 BIG balls in many different colors/shades of that yarn.  She do not know that. But I do think in this case she deserves a little inconvenience!  I think I am starting to enjoy all of that...maybe little too much? LOL

It would been a very different story IF she would told me: "I like that blanket you made and I would love to have another one with pink color in it".  In that case I would been very happy to buy that yarn and make that blanket as soon as possible. Well...to bad for her! :(.

Krys

YAY Krys you go girl!!!🧡🧡🧡

Edited by katyallen8090
  • Like 1

i think what a lot of us deal with sometimes regarding this, is called the age of entitlement eh  good to know they grow out of that, well sometimes lol   :clap 🤪

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

ok well number 4 is off the hook just awaits laundering and packing  i think i can fit  the two 50 by 6 0 somthing  0nes in one box for mailing ill try anyway  made from all donated squares from rav's afghan squares  for PINE ridge Reservation   number 5 has been thought about but not fully planned out yet, ill take a bit of time off before i start that one i think  my personal goal was to finish and mail 4 by Dec.  im there, other than washing and mailing  lol   so anyone say break time lol  i will do more but need a week or so before i do that   enjoy and im getting a diet coke now lol  sorry my floor was not big enough to fit it all in lol but you get the idea, right   

DSC00083.JPG

Edited by katyallen8090

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 3:09 PM, ReniC said:

Glad you had a negative result. Wasn't that a stinker of a test? Had to have it done in June in order to be admitted to the hospital. I thought they were trying to grab part of my brains! 😂

ratdog: The headband turned out cute!

I heard (saw) on TV this morning that they're considering some easier (less painful)

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 7:02 PM, Tampa Doll said:

Lea so glad you got the pattern book.  I was worried.

I finally got my medicine today after 4 days on the East Coast.

Some people have the patience for home schooling and some don't .

I had to laugh over the brain tumor or ingrown toe nail.

Well, here is the new mailbox. Now the trees.

Mailbox 1.jpg

Wow!!  What a mailbox!!!  Ours is an old black metal box beside our front door!!  VERY blah!!!  You go, girl!!

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 3:17 AM, USpolishgirl said:

I used to have a store bought black small mail box when we bought this house. I did not like that old mail box at all.  I hired a guy who works with iron to make for me big & free standing mail box I got a matching iron bench to go with that on my "Veranda". I do not even know id the name "Veranda" is right for that. It is a very big space under roof in front of my front door with brick pillars holding that up. It is as big as my 2,5 car garage. All I know that can not be called a Porch. Because it is not a Porch for sure! LOL. On bought sides of that sidewalk going to my front door I got many ornamental rocks & some plants. In summer I plant some flowers there (only those what can grow in shade).

I really do love that Veranda in front of my house. Any amount of deliver packages will fit with no problem of ever getting wet LOL. Many times me & kids we just love to sit out there under that roof when is raining :).

Krys

That certainly sounds like a "veranda"!  It sounds beautiful!  All we have in front of our front door  are 3 concrete steps--and one of them is broken!!!:ohdear

7 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

Krys

Krys, I TOTALLY agree with everything you just said!  People just don't realize how much care and work we put into our gifts!

Good Afternoon.

We have had a lot of storms run thru here this morning.  So it has been a little wet and noisy here today.

Thank you Collette, we went from a mailbox attached to the house in South Jersey to a Cluster Box in Central to a box at the end of the driveway.  This one is surprising because it is heavy metal and has been cemented into the ground.  It was expensive, but worth the price.

Got a call from the tree people and they will be here on Sept. 4th in the morning, so we are moving right along.  

I hear you with people not knowing how long it takes to make things and not appreciate it.  One year I made an afghan and stuffy for my SIL and they changed the date of the shower, so it would not be done in time.  She asked if I had a picture of what I was making, so she could put it in the card.  This time I made the Llama blanket, stuffy and slippers.  She is still raving about the slippers.  Anyway, she asked me for the price, I told her I would only charge her for the material.  I sent up the afghan, stuffy and slippers told her what it would cost.  She sent me an Amazon gift card for double, cause she felt I did not charge enough.  She is a sewer, so she knows about time it takes to make things.  Sometimes we are appreciated, but it has to be someone who knows what is involved.

We never had a varenda growing up.  There was a pourch or stoop and a doorway.  I guess you could call the laini a veranda, as it has enough room for chairs and such.

So hope everyone is going to have a great day.

4 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

ok well number 4 is off the hook just awaits laundering and packing  i think i can fit  the two 50 by 6 0 somthing  0nes in one box for mailing ill try anyway  made from all donated squares from rav's afghan squares  for PINE ridge Reservation   number 5 has been thought about but not fully planned out yet, ill take a bit of time off before i start that one i think  my personal goal was to finish and mail 4 by Dec.  im there, other than washing and mailing  lol   so anyone say break time lol  i will do more but need a week or so before i do that   enjoy and im getting a diet coke now lol  sorry my floor was not big enough to fit it all in lol but you get the idea, right   

DSC00083.JPG

That blanket looks really nice! I really like it :)

Krys

2 hours ago, Avon Lady said:

Krys, I TOTALLY agree with everything you just said!  People just don't realize how much care and work we put into our gifts!

Thank You :)

That was not a problem that she want another blanket. The problem was, she told me: " I would like better that blanket with pink stripes". That means she dos not like that one!. I was ready to ask her to just give me that blanket back, I will wash that & give to someone else. I know a young guy (friend of my son). They just had a baby about 2 weeks ago. I do know they would been very happy to get that beatiful blanket. But I did not asked her for that blanket. Because person like that is a PIG and she dos not deserve anything like that as a gift!!

It was a very nice blanket in Unisex color: White, Yellow and light Green. Because they did not wanted to know that child gender before was born. 

I never came anything across like that. People love what I make. I do  very good work and I do have very good taste. One thing is for sure, after I will make that other blanket for her. She will NEVER get anything from me for her baby!!. NO cute hats! NO Amigurumi! and nothing else!. About 1 month ago I bought a Velvet yarn for her baby to make a beautiful Sock-Monkey- rag doll ( it is kind a like a Lovey). She will never see that!. I do not crochet & give other gifts to PIGS! :).

Krys

Posted (edited)

Hey All! A little late here, but, I had to brag that we had 10minutes of rain yesterday. Nothing today, but, I was grateful for yesterday's short downpour. It started out a little scary with the color of the sky, and the tornado we recently had has us all spooked. But, all turned out good. It's still too hot here though. Rest well everyone. See you tomorrow on here. I hope.

Edited by ReniC

I forgot to add a couple important things about that new mom.  She is not very young, that should not know any better...  She is 32 years old. The second thing was. Her younger sister came and picked-up those two blankets for her. That mother of that baby NEVER thank me for those blankets. The first time I heard from her was about a week ago she called me (about 4 months later) with a "statement" that she would like a lot better IF those stripes on that blanket were PINK, and she want me to crochet another one. And that did sound more like placing an "order" coming from her.  She did not asked IF I would crochet another one for her?.

That is why I am so angry and calling her a "PIG".  Because she is one.

I do know a lot better her two younger sisters, they are very nice. I never got to know her well.

Krys

We have postal cluster boxes in our neighborhood also. I miss the mailbox at the end of my drive. One of my kids picks the mail up for me every day. It is so ugly, I'm tempted to yarn bomb it!

22 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Good Afternoon.

We have had a lot of storms run thru here this morning.  So it has been a little wet and noisy here today.

Thank you Collette, we went from a mailbox attached to the house in South Jersey to a Cluster Box in Central to a box at the end of the driveway.  This one is surprising because it is heavy metal and has been cemented into the ground.  It was expensive, but worth the price.

Got a call from the tree people and they will be here on Sept. 4th in the morning, so we are moving right along.  

I hear you with people not knowing how long it takes to make things and not appreciate it.  One year I made an afghan and stuffy for my SIL and they changed the date of the shower, so it would not be done in time.  She asked if I had a picture of what I was making, so she could put it in the card.  This time I made the Llama blanket, stuffy and slippers.  She is still raving about the slippers.  Anyway, she asked me for the price, I told her I would only charge her for the material.  I sent up the afghan, stuffy and slippers told her what it would cost.  She sent me an Amazon gift card for double, cause she felt I did not charge enough.  She is a sewer, so she knows about time it takes to make things.  Sometimes we are appreciated, but it has to be someone who knows what is involved.

We never had a varenda growing up.  There was a pourch or stoop and a doorway.  I guess you could call the laini a veranda, as it has enough room for chairs and such.

So hope everyone is going to have a great day.

here we bypass the fancy words lol and just call it deck, or patio  lol  

Just now, ReniC said:

We have postal cluster boxes in our neighborhood also. I miss the mailbox at the end of my drive. One of my kids picks the mail up for me every day. It is so ugly, I'm tempted to yarn bomb it!

ah i wouldnt waste my yarn on it lol  

well, nothing ne here, handy is/was working on the gutters here this week and is now caulking and repainting the eaves i guess  so i have been in, but alone most of the last couple of days, it seemed a quiet and well deserved mini stay -cation for me ;lol i didnt have to hear the tv in the living room, nor in here at all lol I just went about quietly and undisturbed  doing nothing i didnt want to do lol 

It was nice for a day or two lol  

all for now, going to clean up my scrap yarn area, sometimes i totally miss my trash can lol  see ya soon  take care  🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡

4 minutes ago, katyallen8090 said:

ah i wouldnt waste my yarn on it lol  

You noticed I wrote "tempted", right? 😄 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

here we bypass the fancy words lol and just call it deck, or patio  lol  

NO :). I do know what Patio is.  I have one in back of my yard. It is a cement poured on a ground. It is like a cement "floor"., instead walking & partying on a grass. People put on that patio furniture, barbeque and on it and...to have a fun in summer time.

And I do know what Deck is.  Deck it is constructed out of wood (wooden floor and most of the time some kind of wooden rail around.. Decks are sometimes constructed closer to the ground and sometimes are very high from the ground and anything in between. One thing is for sure decks are NEVER lied down straight on the ground they always have some kind a wooden beam support going from that floor of that deck to the ground. Because wooden floor of that deck can not be lied down flat on a ground. Wood needs air to dry on top of that floor and under so will not rotten fast.

My next door neighbors have a Deck on a first floor,very close to the ground only couple stairs up. Yes it is made out of wood with railings. Looks kind a like a boat with no water around LOL.

Cement is lot stronger than wood it can be lied down straight on the ground like all our sidewalks are :)

My daughter got a Deck, she lives on second floor in a Condo. She wishes she could have a patio. Wood needs a lot of constant care to make it last longer (pressure washing & expensive weatherproof stain needs to be applied every couple years). If not, that Deck will rotten in a few short years from rains and snow... Cement dos NOT need any of that, it will stay strong & looking nice for many years.

So when it comes to Patios or Decks they are not the same at all.

When it comes to Porch that is a very different thing too. Those are for the most part are build in a back or on sides of houses with stairs to a higher floors (one on top of another). It is just going up & up with a stair case to every  level of that house. For most part they are build as fire exist. Those are always are build out of wood and they usually have "roofs/ceilings" and rails or ever partial  walls around. Many times they even have windows or screens around. Sometimes they do build them on a front of houses. Everything is the same, made out of wood, couple stairs up of the ground with some type of railing in front.

That why what I have in front of my house I am calling that a "Veranda". I am not sure if Veranda it is a proper name for that. BUT FOR SURE what I have it is NONE of those above. It is NOT a porch NOT a deck and NOT a patio. It is the same ONE roof what goes over my house, my garage goes over my "Veranda". Their is NO floor. YES, their is a cement sidewalk in a middle going to my front door, coming from my driveway. And since I have my garage connected to my house, that small garage door ( on a side of my garage) is very close to my house, that is why there is a cement going from my front door to that small garage door. I would say the size of that cement  is about 5 yards long (going to the left side (from that sidewalk), next to the front door of my house & is connected to the house). It is probably 2 yards deep. So that one small part of that Veranda is in a way looking like a small patio. That is where I keep my white iron bench :). BUT most of that on both sides of that sidewalk & in front of that bigger piece of cement it is just a black soil (ground). That black soil is cover with a small white rocks and few bigger ornamental rocks (I can plant flowers there too, no need for flower pots) My white iron mail box is free standing next to my front door. Yes, that mail box stands up in that Veranda. No one here have a mail box by the street. All mail boxes are connected to houses

That Veranda is as long as my gar garage is. Garage is very long, there is a space on the end of that garage for a big table in case someone wood like to do some woodworking? LOL. Eveything what I mentioned above about my Veranda it is cover by the same roof as my house. On one side the garage wall is supporting that roof on the other my house it is supporting that part of roof. On a opposite side of that long wall of garage their are  4 pillars made out of bricks supporting that part of that roof.  The front is wide open to that Veranda.  It is like another huge room with no floor and with no walls on two sides LOL, (front is open & the other one is supported by brick pillars). 

That is why that is not a deck, not a patio & it is not a porch!. So the only name for that would be 'Veranda" if it is not a Veranda I do not know what the name would be for that..??? LOL. All I know, I love it!! :). I never seen anything like build that before. Looks really nice. That was one of the reasons we bought this house, among many other reason...

That house was custom build, maybe that is why I never seen anything like that before. Was only 1 year old we bought that. About 30 years ago we were invited to a party to this house. That evening we find out that owners of this house were in financial problems..This house was NOT for sale. But, next morning we call them and put an offer on their house. It was a very good offer they excepted that day. So, that is how we bought this house.

Krys 

I forgot to mention one very important thing about Patios.
No one instals  Patio's in front of their house. Patios are to have a Barbeque Party or to just get a Sun tan on a lunge chair. No one would like to have their gussets displayed in front of their house for everyone to look at them from the street & bypassing neighbors when those guessed are eating, drinking and laughing. Having a good time:). Even just having a plain barbeque family dinner outside, no one want strangers to look at them. Even wearing Bikini & getting a sun tan would not look good doing that in front of the house :).
Krys

I forgot to mention above one very important thing about Patios..

No one instals  Patio's in front of their house. Patios are to have a Barbeque Party or to just get a Sun tan on a lunge chair. No one would like to have their gussets displayed in front of their house for everyone to look at them from the street & bypassing neighbors when those guessed are eating, drinking and laughing. Having a good time:).
Even just having a plain barbeque family dinner outside, no one want strangers to look at them.  Or just wearing Bikini & getting a sun tan would not look good doing that in front of the house :). Not many people would like to do that. In those cases people need their privacy. That is why they build them in a back of their houses even with  fences around.
Same goes for Decks.

Krys

Good Morning.  Nothing but thunder storms from about 8 last night till a little while ago. 

Not doing much in the way of crocheting.  The eyes are having a little trouble focusing.  I will be glad when I get to see the eye Dr. at the end of the month.

Oh Lea, I told my SIL about the shower for your DIL.  Her Granddaughter (the Llama person) is having her shower at the Country Club and there will be a pro photographer.  Oh and she told them if they want to get in a picture with her, they must wear a dress or skirt, NO shorts or pants.  This is her grandmother.  I am now worried she will not like the stuff I made for my SIL, I told her if the snobs say anything, tell them she paid $300 for the set.  That should bring their noses down.  She doesn't know where this kid came from, as they are not like that.  No offense to those who went, but she thinks it if the Hoity Toity College people she hung around with.  I told her about the fruit and water.:rofl

Well, off make breakfast.

Have fun today.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

.  Sometimes we are appreciated, but it has to be someone who knows what is involved.

The thing is it dos matter what kind a gift it is, it could be only a Birthday card or something store bought for 5 or 10 bucks, even something that I had to throw out to a garbage and on..I would ALWAYS thank that person for it and tell them how much I like their gift even if I did not. I just do not understand people like that daughter of my friend. After all of that she dare to ask me to crochet another one!. Are those people for real??. That never happened to me before.

As far what I know about Veranda's, they always have a roof. What else goes there..? I am not sure LOL.

Krys

I got up this morning and splurged with a blueberry muffin and coconut creme in my coffee. MMM mmm.

Then, happiness went out the door when I saw our beautiful mountains on fire! We got a storm yesterday and obviously, lightening struck up there so, as of this morning over 500 acres have burned. These mountains are over 8,000 feet and still sacred to our local Native American tribe. Dang---they're sacred to me as I used to live up there when I first moved here. So sad. Hopefully, it will get contained soon.

• Sad 1