katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

The only thing that would stop me from sending my kids to school at this point, is if they were going to teach the 1619 forum.  This is a total abomination to our history.   Many kids are having trouble learning virtually, so being in the class room is better.  Besides the parents need to get back to work.

Enough politics.

We all have our opinions.  It is like vaccines.  Many do not get the flue shot and that is your choice, But how many will take the vaccine for this Covid-19?  Not asking, but wondering and my opinion.

• Like 1

No need to go down the politics but I do think since kids are likely not going back people need to understand the options.  I am still amazed how many people don't realize the vast options available for homeschool curricula.  This provider was amazed when I pointed her to some options for her kids that would allow her to send her kids on separate math plans for instance and have the teacher's manual and answer key so she understood the math she would be teaching them since their district isn't going back.  That is parent power.  You can find a program that actually works for each of your children, they don't all have to use the same one and especially for parent's who might struggle with math, science, etc. you have the manual to read and understand what it is the kids are tying to do.  When you speak to homeschooling parents that is sometimes one of the big thrills because when they find a program that works for their kids they sometimes start to get the math they didn't get too.  Other times it works out that they are math wizards and can't figure out what their kids are missing.  By exploring different programs options they find one that speaks to their child and lo and behold that child sees the math where hadn't before.  You can't do that with a classroom of 20 kids but homeschool parents do have the option to play with curricula to find one that works.

19 minutes ago, Tampa Doll said:

The only thing that would stop me from sending my kids to school at this point, is if they were going to teach the 1619 forum.  This is a total abomination to our history.   Many kids are having trouble learning virtually, so being in the class room is better.  Besides the parents need to get back to work.

Enough politics.

We all have our opinions.  It is like vaccines.  Many do not get the flue shot and that is your choice, But how many will take the vaccine for this Covid-19?  Not asking, but wondering and my opinion.

count me out if 

Russia is  making it, and i just heard they are    lol  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bailey4 said:

No need to go down the politics but I do think since kids are likely not going back people need to understand the options.  I am still amazed how many people don't realize the vast options available for homeschool curricula.  This provider was amazed when I pointed her to some options for her kids that would allow her to send her kids on separate math plans for instance and have the teacher's manual and answer key so she understood the math she would be teaching them since their district isn't going back.  That is parent power.  You can find a program that actually works for each of your children, they don't all have to use the same one and especially for parent's who might struggle with math, science, etc. you have the manual to read and understand what it is the kids are tying to do.  When you speak to homeschooling parents that is sometimes one of the big thrills because when they find a program that works for their kids they sometimes start to get the math they didn't get too.  Other times it works out that they are math wizards and can't figure out what their kids are missing.  By exploring different programs options they find one that speaks to their child and lo and behold that child sees the math where hadn't before.  You can't do that with a classroom of 20 kids but homeschool parents do have the option to play with curricula to find one that works.

aGreat point bailey4, , and it is safer.  to both kids and parents      

ok on to other things  I just heard, putin and Russia announced a vacine for approval  I darn sure wouldnt take that one lol  vacines for the most part are a personal choice but i draw the line at some religions that fight to prevent their kids from vacines like polio, tb, and other really serious things  that to me, is just wrong, but you know" e pluribis unum", from the many, one      

Posted (edited)

Ok WARNING Rant Ahead!

I am so disappointed in our state and county lack of leadership. Our mayor (who seriously has never really had to do anything in his tenure other than attend Eagle Scout ceremonies and Constitution week assembly) has decided to VETO a mask mandate for schools.

Hopefully our county school board will vote to overturn this veto. This is  about health. 

This guy has already told people and the police/sheriff that assembly of any size is ok. Bars can open and dont bother enforcing anything.

Ok Rant Over. Any further action /opinion will be expressed at the polls.

Edited by ratdog
  • Haha 1

Good One Ratdog.  I agree with you.  Opinions should be expressed at the polls.

Watching the dark clouds to the east of us.  Not sure if we going to get any rain.  Sure can use it.  Put water in the pool today, thought for sure that would get us some. I know, I will set up the sprinklers to go off on Thursday. :rofl

2 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

oh no, i totally disagree sorry to say i thought if i had my daughter younger and was in this situation there is no way i would send her!! i would get certified and home school i think Handy agrees  i am all for kids going back to school if and when it is SAFE, and that is not the case lol    just my opinion though   

I strongly AGREE with MJ on that subject.

To put things in the right prospective... we have many MORE kids- deaths from Flu and we are not closing schools for that reason. 

We have a responsibility to make choices for our kids what are better for them & their future life's. Many times in live we do not have a perfect choice to pick from,  than we just need to pick the better choice. By being at school they are not only learning subjects, they are learning a lot more by being around other students & teachers. Those skills are needed to be learn for their adult life to be successful And they can not be learn at home.

Teachers need to be very careful when it comes to that C-virus. If they are older or having health issues they probably should stay home. Maybe Plexy - glass in every room around them would help a lot.

I want my grandkids to get the best education that is available. I want them to be able to get to best Collages. After that go higher- Masters degree like my son did :).. With that kind of education those people never have to worry  about providing  very good life for them self's & their family. Life is hard enough without have to worry about money...

Like it or not. That is my opinion on that subject :)

Krys

Recliner.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They just listed the rules for opening the schools here.

Mask must be worn.  hand sanitizer will be located at different areas of the school.  One substitute teacher per school.

Reni, love the joke.  But it is so true.

Posted (edited)

Good Morning! 

Waiting for my new lap frame for cross stitch to arrive today.

Also my friend is dropping off yarn so I can make a  teddy bear ears headband for her daughters golden retriever.

I guess nobody has a golden or a lab because I asked here and on reddit if someone could measure their dogs head circumfrence and give me an idea of how big to make this. No responses on either forum so I am just going to wing it and hope for the best.

Edited by ratdog

12 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

I want my grandkids to get the best education that is available. I want them to be able to get to best Collages. After that go higher- Masters degree like my son did :).

Krys

Love how you slipped in the "Proud Mom Brag" :)

My turn! My son just texted me a photo of his Masters Degree in Mathematics. He is in a PhD program and, as he put it, the Masters is just what you get along the way. 

• Like 1

Congrats to your son Ratdog.  What an accomplishment.

Tomorrow we should hear if we get our new mailbox or not.  The hold up is brackets.  Because they are white, they have to be painted and then baked like a car.

The post office is an amazing place.  Last Friday my medicine was in Palm Harbor.  Saturday, instead of being in my mailbox it went to Winter Springs, Fl. which is above Orlando on the side of the state.  It is still sitting there, good thing I have plenty.  I give them one more day to ship it back, before I call.

Rant over.

Hazy, hot and humid.  Possible rain.

Have a fun day.

Posted (edited)

I agree the post office is a bit strange sometimes. I once had a package go from Orlando (1 1/2 hrs south of me) to Jacksonville (about 2 hrs north of me) then finally to Ocala for delivery.

Edited by ratdog

4 hours ago, ratdog said:

Love how you slipped in the "Proud Mom Brag" :)

My turn! My son just texted me a photo of his Masters Degree in Mathematics. He is in a PhD program and, as he put it, the Masters is just what you get along the way. 

I was not trying to "slipped in" anything.  I was just saying what I want for my grand children. 

Now I am "slip in" something... My so went to Harvard University in Cambridge. He went there to collage and he got his law degree from Harvard. YES, I am very proud of that! :). How many kids can to Harvard??, not many!. Over 10 years ago right after he got his Law Degree first year he got a job in a big law firm in Boston, his starting salary was way over 6 figures plus a Christmas bonus (about 30%) of his yearly salary. Right now he makes about four times as much. That is what I mean not have to worry about money.

My daughter got married too soon she only finished 4 years Collage.

Krys

Talking about Post Office. No one count on them for sure!. About two years ago I mailed my estimated payment (Income Tax check to IRS I need to send them money every 3 months). I give that envelope to my post man to take that to post office. About 3 weeks later UPS delivery guy brought a package for me and handle me a very muddy-dirty-wet envelope. That was my estimated payment to IRS. UPS guy found that in front of my house in a gutter! (it was winter time, snowy..). Yes, because of that my payment to IRS was mailed late at that time.

Now, what is wrong with those people working for Post Office???. Why UPS they do not have those problems?. I know why, because UPS it is a private company and is run by normal people who knows they need to make profit to stay in business. Post Office people do NOT know that! LOL.

Even at that Post Office when anyone goes there and there is a line maybe last than 10 people waiting. They need to wait and wait for about an hour!. And there are at least 3 people working at that Post Office at any time. That is not how it goes at UPS. Those people know what real work means.

Krys

So much to be proud of Krys.  Its our jobs as moms to share.

Glad to hear your family is doing well. 

• Thanks 1

Just saw online that our Sheriff has FORBIDDEN deputies to wear masks while on duty or in the office. 

His rationale is that for every expert claiming masks help he can find an expert to say they dont.

We are never getting this thing under control if this is the leadership we have.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ratdog said:

Good Morning!  Also my friend is dropping off yarn so I can make a  teddy bear ears headband for her daughters golden retriever.

I guess nobody has a golden or a lab because I asked here and on reddit if someone could measure their dogs head circumfrence and give me an idea of how big to make this. No responses on either forum so I am just going to wing it and hope for the best.

Good Morning:  Maybe this pattern will give you an idea for size for the headband.

Include a pic of the new frame coming. Geesh, I haven't done cross stitch in years or embroidery for that matter. I should dig out some pillow cases I was going to do this on and then crochet the borders. It would be a nice distraction.

Edited by ReniC

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Good One Ratdog.  I agree with you.  Opinions should be expressed at the polls.

Watching the dark clouds to the east of us.  Not sure if we going to get any rain.  Sure can use it.  Put water in the pool today, thought for sure that would get us some. I know, I will set up the sprinklers to go off on Thursday. :rofl

i wasn't speaking anything about politics just addressing the pandemic is all,  its two completely different things t lol  ive never missed voting and for sure wont this time either     

Edited by katyallen8090

Posted (edited)

but i am going to make an  educated guess and hope im wrong here, but the schools that are forcing or hurrying their openings,  too soon, might very well 

end up re-closing and covid positives ticking up as well even in children       from my lips to God's ears i hope that isn't the case       

Edited by katyallen8090

4 hours ago, ReniC said:

Good Morning:  Maybe this pattern will give you an idea for size for the headband.

Include a pic of the new frame coming. Geesh, I haven't done cross stitch in years or embroidery for that matter. I should dig out some pillow cases I was going to do this on and then crochet the borders. It would be a nice distraction.

OMG! I never knew dogs can wear headbands! LOL

That dog on that picture is  CUTE!! :)

Krys

Good Morning.

I have one more thing to say about the schools.  Hillsboro opened the schools yesterday.  The news was at one of the grade schools.  They talked to a father who was dropping his 5 year old off for kindergarten.  They asked him how he felt about it.  He said " Believe me she needs this". :rofl  The look on his face was hystirical.  Anyway, they had a yellow brick road painted on the sidewalk.  Everyone was met by either Dorothy, The lion, the Scarecrow and the Tinman.  Everything Wizard of oz.  Inside the water fountains were blocked off.  They had sanitary stations all around.  The desk were far enough apart and along the walls were hooks 6 ft. intervals for backpacks.  Oh and everyone must wear a mask.  Looks like they got it going.

Well, we just got our grocery order.  All is put away and now I am going back to work on Santa and Mrs. Claus.

Ran the sprinklers today, as NO RAIN.

Have a fun day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

hi all another hot and humid day here, and the sun is actually bright today  my two doves, did a fly by very close to my craft room window, they just wanna say hi i guess, they do that almost every day early aft  sometime, handy says probably y when the seeds and bread crumbs run out but i I  prefer to think my way that  they just wanna say hi to me lol  their whiht wings glint in the sunshine, like one might imagine an angels wings might    I named them George and Gracie as they mate for life and share chores when their nesting or feeding babies       Some one near us posted on our neighborhood digest, a pic of a coyotee in her back yard, others have see them near by as well  cant blame them really as a lot of their homes are taken over by houses and buildings anymore   and  between them and the   foxes here our bunny population is waning a bit  and the turkeys flocks are also much smaller than before  nature i guess doing what she does huh    

well im off foor now i just ordered some things for daughter her b day is soon so ill see you all later!! have a good weekend coming up and take care💙💙💙💙    

Edited by katyallen8090

Mary Jo 

I'd gladly send you some if not all of the rain we've been having

testing went well,it just made your eyes well up with tears but at least I didn't gag like they showed some people doing