katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

Good morning,its 6:17, been up since 5 a.m.

the sun is starting to rise,its a bit chilly, maybe in the 60's later in the day

stay safe everyone

Good morning.  It is quite cool this morning.  I went out and got the trash this morning and was surprised to feel the cool air.

Hey Brenda, the Chief's are coming to Tampa in November.  That should be a fun game.  The schedule came out and we have about 5 Prime time games. :rofl Go figure.

Have a fun day today and keep safe.

Rained last night and is cool this morning.  Frost advisories for Sat night.  Things started opening up here this week even though case numbers are still rising but they just starting testing more too.  Announced a lot of cases in another nursing home yesterday and then of course its rampant in the Tyson plant just north.  Its also very confusing because guidelines vary between Fed, states, KC, counties, and then the Village.  KC is in 3 counties and then there is the rest of those counties.  Here many cross back and forth across the state line for pretty much everything.  

Went to dentist Wed for our overdue cleanings.  First public place I have been in weeks.  They call you in from your car so patients do not cross each others paths.  They had all the interior doors open to their office. We only had to open main door of building.  Dh and I could go in together.  Waiting room was emptied out except for two chairs.  We wore our masks in and out of building.  First time for me with the mask because dh has been the one going to the store.  I had been giving serious thought as to places I would feel comfortable going and our dentist was top of my list.  Waiting on a call from our pastor about plans for meeting at church again in June.  I do not think they can make enough changes for me to feel comfortable there but we will see.  Buffets and self serve are things of the past but heard drive in movies are coming back.

Mary Jo I heard yesterday football schedule was out but was too tired to check on it.  I cant seem to muster up the energy to look forward and get too excited about much. Just trying to keep things caught up and figured out.  

I cant believe its almost Mothers Day.  Last couple of months have been a blur.  Yesterday niece handed me a 4pack of paper towels and a cold diet coke when she got back from the store and said Happy Mother's Day. Made me happy!  Village emailed out instructions yesterday on where flowers, packages and cards can be dropped off for residents in care center and assisted living along with how they would be wiping down things like vases before delivered and other things would set in quarantine for 3 days before delivery.  

oooh i got out my magic mirror, and i see brenda, and mary jo, oh and there is lyn !! what a nice mirror this turned out to be lol :2spin 

the lady that i bought it from wore a re and gold turban  on her head, lots of flashy jewelry, rings on every finger, and a cigar in her hand,   and promised good luck with it lol 😮

and it works!😲

just shuffling along through my daily chores, and throwing in some fun stuff too, equal parts makes for a happier me lol 🤤 

glad all seem well thanks for the posts ladies, i was feeling neglected lol  :tysee you soon!!:waving

• Haha 1

Magic mirror! Ha ha !  Let me get my Romper Stompers and head on over to your house! ( ok, im totally dating myself but I used to love Romper Room). 

Do you see Mr. Dooby on my shoulder.  Boy are your bringing back some memories.  We watched that show, Chief Halftown (Philly) Sally Star (Philly) and Mr. Green jeans.  Those were fun and easy times.

Time to shut down for the night.

Talk to you all tomorrow.

Loved Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans but man Romper Room and that woman's mirror creeped me out for years!!!!  Probably why I've avoided Alexa and the like it can all be traced back to that woman and her creepy mirror!!!

• Haha 1

Good Morning.  A beautiful cool morning today.

Well, I don't if I told you or not, but the other day I went to put earrings in and the holes closed up. I can usually push the earring thru, but not this time.  So  I bought one of those kits that has the gun and earring to pierce the ears.  The ones I bought are disposable.  I have been sitting here and looking at them, trying to decide if I want to go thru this pain again or not.  I am just a big chicken.  I remember when I had them done, they were done twice at the Dr.'s office and a string was put in to keep the holes open.  Problem is, my holes are small and I have to watch what size the post is.  I know I am rambling, but I am nervous.  Anyone want to come and do this for me? :rofl

That is it for today.  Not much going on.

Have fun and keep safe.

I remember those,does anyone remember Pinky Lee, years ago a cousin mentioned him and I had never heard of him.

its rather chilly this morning, 38

stay safe

Back in days of Romper Room we had a couple of local shows one with Torry and his old man hand puppet gus and then Whizzo the clown.  

Mary Jo I was in my thirties when I finally got my ears pierced.  I got it done at the mall.  My sisters got theirs pierced in their teens.  I dont really remember pain.  What I do remember was I would nearly pass out when I stood in front of the mirror struggling to get the studs back in the holes.  I was disappointed though because I was allergic to the cheap earrings.  I can only wear my starter studs or 14 kt gold.  I wear the same pair for years on end and keep them in 24/7.

Yeah, I remember Pinky Lee.

I just saw that Little Richard passed (RIP).  Boy talk about being old.  I was born in 1950, but I had a sister that is 6 years older than me.  I had 2 sets of teenage years, hers and mine.  We use to have Dick Clark on every day when he was in Philly.  I grew up listen to him and all the other 1950 teen throb stars.

My bones are creaking now and I am feeling every day of my 70 years.

On 5/5/2020 at 12:33 PM, bgs said:

Lea I am so sorry. :hug Gosh  now I know why you and your Grams were in my thoughts so much on Sat.  Thats a beautiful picture of her and her advice sound very practical.  Thanks for sharing with us.  I wish I could have met her.  

I wish you could have met her too, she could work a room.... give her 25 people... 15 minutes and she would come out telling you their names, whta they did for a living , where they were from, and how they were all connected some way....

I want to thank you so much for the card and letter... I LOVE nice newsie letters, I use to have up to 35 penpals I kept up with... not sure shy I don't now.... facebook? internet?.....anyhow... that meant the world to me...

Finally getting to see the Princess today and celebrate her birthday......

Hope all is well to everyone...

One Christmas my much adult sister living away from home decided it was time my Mom and my younger sister and I got our ears pierced.  My other adult sister had already had hers done at the time.  She bought us all earrings and assured as as she was a nurse she knew what she was doing.  She pierced our ears with a sewing machine needle using ice to dull the pain.  Didn't dull it much and mine are not placed exactly right to show off earrings.  However, due to the childhood experience I've never had the courage to go back and do them over.

Mary Jo, like you I do have to make sure every 6 months or so I put earring in or they do start to heal over.  Thankfully though I am not sensitive to high end metals.  I have developed a preference to wire over backings though.  I will wear backings when absolutely necessary but avoid them when possible.

Oh Man,I used to be able to wear, what was called by his mom as junk jewelry, from the 5 and dime store.

then I had Rene' my system changed alot,put those earrings in and what a festering mess that was,so from then on could wear only 14 or 18 k earrings, I can wear sterling silver with no problem and actually like that better than gold

one time Sears sold us earrings,they passed off gold plate as 14k,with my swollen ears I went back and gave them heck,because I was adament that I couldn't wear the plated kind

Edited by pineknott

11 hours ago, bgs said:

Back in days of Romper Room we had a couple of local shows one with Torry and his old man hand puppet gus and then Whizzo the clown.  

Mary Jo I was in my thirties when I finally got my ears pierced.  I got it done at the mall.  My sisters got theirs pierced in their teens.  I dont really remember pain.  What I do remember was I would nearly pass out when I stood in front of the mirror struggling to get the studs back in the holes.  I was disappointed though because I was allergic to the cheap earrings.  I can only wear my starter studs or 14 kt gold.  I wear the same pair for years on end and keep them in 24/7.

I got my ears pierced when I was about 12 years old in Poland on a POTATO! LOL . I remember that was an older woman she did that in her home.  I have no idea why they were using potato??. I did had a big problem after that. For over a year I got a big lump growing behind my right ear loop because of that. I never told my mother about that lump. I did not wanted to tell her anything about that lump because she told me not to do that!. I went and done that anyway.  I was good at hiding that from my mother with my long hair. At that time I was sure that lump will just keep getting bigger & bigger...Thank God that big lump stop growing and than went away. That must of been about 1" in diameter :(.

In my early 30's I did develop allergy's to cheap metals. I can only wear gold like you.  There is not much fun wearing only gold earring's, usually they are very plain looking boring. Those cheap earrings that where the fun is. All those different colors & different designs (big, small)..that was what I loved! :). I think my ear lopes are still open, I am not really sure and I do not even care. Right now I am more in to big rings & bracelets. I could not be wearing big earrings with that, I would probably look like a Christmas Tree LOL. Too much of a good thing is never good.

Both of my granddaughters got their ears pierced. They do not wear any earings, they probably got tired of that. 

Krys

Edited by USpolishgirl

15 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Good Morning.  A beautiful cool morning today.

Well, I don't if I told you or not, but the other day I went to put earrings in and the holes closed up. I can usually push the earring thru, but not this time.  So  I bought one of those kits that has the gun and earring to pierce the ears.  The ones I bought are disposable.  I have been sitting here and looking at them, trying to decide if I want to go thru this pain again or not.  I am just a big chicken.  I remember when I had them done, they were done twice at the Dr.'s office and a string was put in to keep the holes open.  Problem is, my holes are small and I have to watch what size the post is.  I know I am rambling, but I am nervous.  Anyone want to come and do this for me? :rofl

That is it for today.  Not much going on.

Have fun and keep safe.

I would not do that if I were you. I think the timing is wrong for that at this time with all of that what is going on because of that virus. What if something would go wrong?, complications?. You probably would like to keep away at this time from doctors? even worse maybe a hospital? That is my opinion only.

Krys

Edited by USpolishgirl

Did anyone of you guys bought that elastic on Amazon?. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087Q78X46/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As I expected I got more "orders" from my friend for those face masks for her family. I do hope that elastic will be soft & good enough for those masks. I placed that order yesterday. I really hope that will work out good. I do not want to loose rest of my underwear! LOL. I do hope I will get that soon!. They need them now. I will make couple of them tomorrow and YES I will need to rip out that elastic from my underwear again! :(.

I was looking yesterday at Joann.com, all narrow (about 1/4" wide) elastic's are sold out. It was a first time I was looking at Joann.com since last year. OMG! so many people are making those face masks. They even posting their Video's on "How to". I did not knew that so many people are sewing those face masks. Many people are VERY ANGRY! at long wait for delivery. Some of them want to cancel their orders, but no one at Joann is picking up telephone calls from them :(. All Joann stores are still close here. Only buy on line with shipping or pick up at the store curb. 

That Joann store near me is very small and packed up full of merchandise. I really do not think they will be able to open up that store in near future with that 6' apart rules. That place it is just way to small for that. 

Krys

Edited by USpolishgirl

Yes, lots of people making face masks. My sister and I have made over 500 masks. And I am still making them. I have stayed very busy here. 

Mary Jo I will come help you ! I want to pierce my ears too. It's real easy to do. You got it ... 

Happy Mother's Day!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day. Stay safe !!

Good Morning and Happy Mother's Day.

Well, I have not reopened the ears yet, I am still contemplating it.  I got the done twice already.  The first time I was 13 and I got queasy everytime I cleaned them and almost passed out, so Mom made me take the strings out.  The next time, I was about 18 and could handle it better, but at that time it was still done with strings, not earrings.  My main problem is I do not wear earrings every day.

Well, Have a great Mother's Day and keep safe and healthy.

Happy Mother's Day!

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

On 5/8/2020 at 3:23 PM, ratdog said:

Magic mirror! Ha ha !  Let me get my Romper Stompers and head on over to your house! ( ok, im totally dating myself but I used to love Romper Room). 

lol she never ever said My name but i watched to see if and when she did   lol  

4 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Good Morning and Happy Mother's Day.

Well, I have not reopened the ears yet, I am still contemplating it.  I got the done twice already.  The first time I was 13 and I got queasy everytime I cleaned them and almost passed out, so Mom made me take the strings out.  The next time, I was about 18 and could handle it better, but at that time it was still done with strings, not earrings.  My main problem is I do not wear earrings every day.

Well, Have a great Mother's Day and keep safe and healthy.

lol  i had 4 holes 2in each ar but I 

need to get them re punched at least two of them lol  

4 hours ago, cshort said:

Happy Mother's Day!

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

right back atcha carol!!

💛happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there and i mean that in a nice way lol  🌼❤️

well seems the rav thread for square making is moving on in case anyone is interested, they needed a moderator, so me and another gal agreed to be co-moderators so we can continue the thread in Pam" spirit  if you wanna do squares, there are only three of us seamstress's now

accepting squares, any of us  Omahabookworm, Leighanneg, and yours truly. me!!l you can message or email for our addys  

again that is on ravelry folks  I   will do one , hopefully others will volunteer to seam them too, but for now, its the three of us doing the putting together lol  I really didnt want that thread to die out, i dont know what id do without making squares lol we are going in blind without any info or lists or anything from the previous mod that left, so keeping my fingers crossed we do ok lol  

soo Romper room struck a nerve with some of you huh i wasnt fond of it, i only watched to see if she said my name, i dont think she ever did  The one i seldom ever watched, was L ambchop I 😮hated that show lol puppets freaked me out lol  

liked Cappy Kangaroo, and always watched it before i had to go to kindergarten lol  😂

oh got my new camera yesterday spent the day doing the settings and such and testing it out!! Now all i have to do, is figure out how to send a pic via email on gmail any any out there save me a trouble call too my daughter????pwetty pwease,, she already thinks im daft with electronics, and she is right lol

we are not having them over today as both work with a lot of diff people and we do not want the exposure yet, but decided to have a Parents day, in June lol  for both of us!!well here goes the trying to figure it out thing  again happy day to all, mothers or not!!

Edited by katyallen8090

One of my boys texted a happy mothers day at 12:01am. I guess he wanted to be the first person to wish me a happy mothers day today.