katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

Made it through another week. 6 full weeks since i was last at work. 5 weeks since i have gone out for anything other than medical appointments.

I made a pouch for the remotes this week.

1587761763916974155832.jpg

Good Morning.

Nice pouch ratdog.

Yesterday was a lost day.  It was nothing but thunderstorms all day, so the computers stayed off.  Because it was so dark and cloudy, I got not crocheting done.  The sun is up and shinning, so I thought I would drop in.

Have a great day and stay safe.

good morning

not much going on here,Brenda,how is your sister coming along,hopefully things are a bit more settled with supplies,I ask cause I remember the hassles we had to go through to get Jimmy's feeding supplies at times

nice ratdog, you are a busy lady lol  

yes  e have your rain tampa, now sun now rain day lol  

i beleive that if the square thread, that was started by PAM on ravelry doesn't get up and get going soon   i will be forced to collect squares again put them together myself, and send them to pine ridge myself lol  

other than that not much new, hope you all are safe and healthy   latrrz  all   

Trying to stay useful.

I think my next project will be a birthday card for my friend. I cant get to hallmark store this year so i will have to come up with something from the craft supplies on hand. 

Sometimes a Happy Birthday text just wont cut it

10 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

nice ratdog, you are a busy lady lol  

yes  e have your rain tampa, now sun now rain day lol  

i beleive that if the square thread, that was started by PAM on ravelry doesn't get up and get going soon   i will be forced to collect squares again put them together myself, and send them to pine ridge myself lol  

other than that not much new, hope you all are safe and healthy   latrrz  all   

Check out posts 150 and 152 under  Questions for Moderators on Ravelry's For Children of Pine Ridge group.  It would be really nice if they could find someone already at the reservation to put squares together to save on postage.

15 hours ago, pineknott said:

good morning

not much going on here,Brenda,how is your sister coming along,hopefully things are a bit more settled with supplies,I ask cause I remember the hassles we had to go through to get Jimmy's feeding supplies at times

Well Lyn we actually had to tape a ziplock bag to her for about 5 hours the first day Home Health came.  They ordered bags that we were supposed to get there that morning but they were back ordered.  Nurse went by their office and grabbed odds and ends to mix together in hopes of working.  The ziplock bag actually stuck to her longer than many of the actual ostomy bags.  Wed the ostomy expert made it out to start figuring out which combo of products she really needs.  They also put a wound vac on her to speed up healing her incision.  I sort of freaked out with one of them.  She seemed more interested with getting the wound vac on and didnt seemed concerned about taping over the edge of the ostomy skin barrier because those are only supposed to be changed every 3 or 4 days.  She just wasnt getting that they were breaching in hours and generally breached over towards the incision.  I wanted to smack her.  I finally asked her if that should happen what did we need to do.  She said take wound vac off, clean up area  and then pack it like we had been doing prior to wound vac.  They would put it back on next visit.  Thankfully it didnt come to that.  When it breached we caught it before it got that far and were able to peel back the stuff used to seal the wound vac enough to get the barrier off but not mess up seal on wound vav.

Edited by bgs

On 4/24/2020 at 9:20 AM, bgs said:

Krys that is a cold frame.  It is used in early spring and then in fall to extend our growing season.  On warm sunny days It will get extremely hot in those and will cook your plants if you do not get those lids raised.  Not sure how plants do in them in our summers when it gets in 90's and that sun beating down all day on plants. The automatic lid raisers can fail.(I have bonsai friends that winter trees with these and in green houses where automatic things were to kick in but failed and they lost trees).  Let me know how it works using it in summer.  Burpee is a very old company and one my family has purchased garden supplies from for many years.  What vegetables are you going to try to grow? 

I am thinking maybe I should just give up on growing those veggies. Because I do not know much about that. I know one thing, we would not win that war with all those Rabbits & other animals here LOL. We will plant a lot of flowers. I used to plant a lot of flowers around my swimming pool, looked beautiful. I do know how to plant & grow flowers .

I will still think about those veggies..?.  I like tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, green pepper, lettuce, string beans. They like only CORN and CORN! LOL. I am trying to change that.   In Poland people never eat corn, only farm animals eat corn LOL.

Krys

good morning

waiting for the sun to shine,but its still too wet to work in the yard,I just do cherry tomatoes,tried other things but they were a big fail

stay safe out there

5 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

I am thinking maybe I should just give up on growing those veggies. Because I do not know much about that. I know one thing, we would not win that war with all those Rabbits & other animals here LOL. We will plant a lot of flowers. I used to plant a lot of flowers around my swimming pool, looked beautiful. I do know how to plant & grow flowers .

I will still think about those veggies..?.  I like tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, green pepper, lettuce, string beans. They like only CORN and CORN! LOL. I am trying to change that.   In Poland people never eat corn, only farm animals eat corn LOL.

Krys

If you can plant and grow flowers then you can plant and grow vegetables.  Mix  some in among your flowers or dedicate one of the flower beds for vegetables.  Several vegetables grow well in pots.  I have grown lettuce, spinach, radishes, onions,tomatoes, and peppers in pots or planters.  My biggest problem with squirrels has been them digging in pots and uprooting seedlings although one year during a drought they took my biggest green tomatoes and dropped them from trees.  After that I always made sure to plant some cherry tomatoes which are very prolific.  They might be small but I always got my share.  Rabbits were my nemesis with green beans.  They ate the plants.  I had to put a chicken wire fence up around them.  Pumpkin vines take up a lot of ground room but they are fun to watch grow.  Zucchini would take up less room.  Its just amazing to watch how fast zucchini and pumpkins grow.   Rabbits and squirrels didnt for the most part seem to bother my pumpkins, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers or even my lettuce and spinach but there might have been other things in the area they liked better.  It just sort of depends on the critters in your area and what they like to eat so its a lot of trial and error.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bgs said:

If you can plant and grow flowers then you can plant and grow vegetables.  Mix  some in among your flowers or dedicate one of the flower beds for vegetables.  Several vegetables grow well in pots.  I have grown lettuce, spinach, radishes, onions,tomatoes, and peppers in pots or planters.  My biggest problem with squirrels has been them digging in pots and uprooting seedlings although one year during a drought they took my biggest green tomatoes and dropped them from trees.  After that I always made sure to plant some cherry tomatoes which are very prolific.  They might be small but I always got my share.  Rabbits were my nemesis with green beans.  They ate the plants.  I had to put a chicken wire fence up around them.  Pumpkin vines take up a lot of ground room but they are fun to watch grow.  Zucchini would take up less room.  Its just amazing to watch how fast zucchini and pumpkins grow.   Rabbits and squirrels didnt for the most part seem to bother my pumpkins, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers or even my lettuce and spinach but there might have been other things in the area they liked better.  It just sort of depends on the critters in your area and what they like to eat so its a lot of trial and error.  

such good info here, i knew tomatos and peppers grew in pots cos e have done them before that way  thanks for such useful info bgs

s

• Like 1

hello all  well lets see, everyone tell me what you are all working so hard on, or hardly working on these days?? I am partially done with a scarf, all sc, and block colors, for the mens shelter i think course not needed now but in the fall  i may also make a hat to match dont know yet  ..??lol 

Pineyknot what are you keeping busy these days with, and sandra i know you are making something cool??Snow bear showed us what is keeping her busy lets see some more pics huh lol  lea, i want to see that wreath please lol 

i am trying to keep pams cause alive, one square at a time i guess  so at least im crocheting again, there was a long dry spell after hearing of her passing but i guess  keeping busy helps  

Brenda, you can not have given up your yarns and hooks in place of a wild social life, have you?? what are you crocheting??

come on fess up all get those hooks out, pick a yarn color and off we go!! at least, we have our health still, right  

ok, now is anyone got a ghan started, or laying around the house waiting for attention  its about the right weather out now, not too hot, not freezing to pick that up again, and show it some love RIGHT!!:clap:yay

• Like 1

I'm looking at elevated beds too for veggies.  They are around knee height which makes it harder for the critters and weeds to get into including our dogs.  The one I wanted is no longer being made since the COVID thing started so I may wait to see if it comes back but I am thinking about moving this direction as I really do like growing veggies but there are various issues with our raised beds.  We will have to see what happens.

• Like 1

I just saw a raised bed that was made from corrigated metal. In fact, it looked like a big aluminum tub, excpt taller.  If you want the web site, they have all kinds, including wood, let me know.

1 hour ago, Bailey4 said:

I'm looking at elevated beds too for veggies.  They are around knee height which makes it harder for the critters and weeds to get into including our dogs.  The one I wanted is no longer being made since the COVID thing started so I may wait to see if it comes back but I am thinking about moving this direction as I really do like growing veggies but there are various issues with our raised beds.  We will have to see what happens.

A few years a friend replaced her deck and gave us some planks from it.  It was a synthetic material not wood.  We made raised beds and  loved them.  I had also purchased some kits on clearance where you could configure the boxes one plank, 2 planks, or 3 planks high and we set them up using boxes of all 3 heights.  I liked those too.  We grew potatoes in the 3 deeps, radishes in 2 deeps, lettuce and zucchini in the singles.  I also had some grow/earth boxes https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/gardening/peat-pots-and-plant-starters/7439334?x429=true&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjw4pT1BRBUEiwAm5QuR62EgJIPy-ACxSU04nCY4WFGwQwfuAwI43BO__PfXttH95IMoNJf2xoC2mcQAvD_BwE

and very large flower pots where I grew tomatoes and peppers.  

• Like 1

Well, spent the weekend with a gall bladder attack... had one about 11 years ago and they said it needed to come out... thankfully its subsiding this time too...if its still acting up in the morning I'll end up having to call the doctor...

Not much crocheting going on, but I have been listening to an audio book in bed....

Hope everyone is well....

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, bgs said:

You are talking about Squirrels, we got thousands of them here. We got a lot of trees in this area that is why.  Each time I look at my back yard I can "spot" at least dozen of them running around...up on a trees & down from the trees LOL.  Before Christmas last year those Squirrels eat almost ALL my Cake from QVC. Those UPS guys got so "Lazy" they will NEVER ring the door bell! when they deliver a package. I have a huge I call that "Veranda" in front of my front door. And on a side of my front door there is white iron bench. So those Idiots from UPS   We do not have big wild animals here like: Bears or  did not even left that package from UPS, they  left that on a the other side of that bench. I was home that day (all day). I went to get my mail and sure as hell I did not looked far enough to the left of my front door, WHO WOULD??, no one would. I should NOT be looking for delivery box around my house. Our mail boxes are next to our front doors not by the street. When I seen that box with that cake ALL ripped out I just was so afraid to even touch that, I did not knew what will be running out of that box..?? :(. Next morning I heard some wired noises coming from the front of my house.  I went out and to my disbelieve I had seen at least 4 or 5 Sguirrels. They wore looking unusually very FAT (so round! LOL). Their tummy was so so huge!! They did look cute and very "round" LOL. They ate about 80% of those cakes LOL.

I would not try to plant veggies between flowers, they would get to them anyway.

I thought maybe? If would get someone to build those "boxes" with Chicken wire on sides/ top that probably would work. I do have a very good carpenter, I left a message for him yesterday. IF I would get those planting boxes with that chicken wire made they would need to be raise way up (with legs).  I am not planning to kill my brand new grass sad, that I paid a lot of money for it after I took out my swimming pool. My whole back yard got brand new sad.  I am not planning to grow veggies for many year, just now :).

BUT, I would need to re-surge that.. HOW those boxes needs to be build?? to have a proper irrigation at the bottoms?. I do know that roots can just rotten from too much of wet soil for too long. Maybe I need to do a lot of more reading on that subject LOL. I know there is not much time left this season.

Krys

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bgs said:

A few years a friend replaced her deck and gave us some planks from it.  It was a synthetic material not wood.  We made raised beds and  loved them.  I had also purchased some kits on clearance where you could configure the boxes one plank, 2 planks, or 3 planks high and we set them up using boxes of all 3 heights.  I liked those too.  We grew potatoes in the 3 deeps, radishes in 2 deeps, lettuce and zucchini in the singles.  I also had some grow/earth boxes https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/gardening/peat-pots-and-plant-starters/7439334?x429=true&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjw4pT1BRBUEiwAm5QuR62EgJIPy-ACxSU04nCY4WFGwQwfuAwI43BO__PfXttH95IMoNJf2xoC2mcQAvD_BwE

and very large flower pots where I grew tomatoes and peppers.  

I'm looking to put in a Keyhole Garden.  It's elevated and it utilizes composting to create the soil you use in the box.  I found the kit I wanted and it may come back after the end of this crisis.  If not we may look into building one. There are plans all over the Internet for them.  I liked this one because it with all the pieces together.  We will see what happens.  I was just sad because we ordered it, they were going to ship, then it back ordered, then it abruptly canceled and they are not making it at this point.  I saw another kit but it wasn't as well made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katyallen8090 said:

hello all  well lets see, everyone tell me what you are all working so hard on, or hardly working on these days?? I am partially done with a scarf, all sc, and block colors, for the mens shelter i think course not needed now but in the fall  i may also make a hat to match dont know yet  ..??lol 

Pineyknot what are you keeping busy these days with, and sandra i know you are making something cool??Snow bear showed us what is keeping her busy lets see some more pics huh lol  lea, i want to see that wreath please lol 

i am trying to keep pams cause alive, one square at a time i guess  so at least im crocheting again, there was a long dry spell after hearing of her passing but i guess  keeping busy helps  

Brenda, you can not have given up your yarns and hooks in place of a wild social life, have you?? what are you crocheting??

come on fess up all get those hooks out, pick a yarn color and off we go!! at least, we have our health still, right  

ok, now is anyone got a ghan started, or laying around the house waiting for attention  its about the right weather out now, not too hot, not freezing to pick that up again, and show it some love RIGHT!!:clap:yay

I havent touched a crochet hook since Jan.  We have been under shelter in place orders for a month now.  Everything here canceled and locked down.  About only thing people can do is use the golf course but they cant use the carts.  No visitors allowed in village.  Only residents allowed in their respective buildings/ houses.  Employees, mailman, medical people must check in with security daily to have their temperature taken and answer the questions.  When sis had her knee replaced end of Feb I was going 5 days a week to stay with her.  I sat with her the 10 days she was in the hospital.  They wanted to send her to a nursing home but her daughter and I took her home and cared for her there.  She went home with a catheter in her bladder , a picc line where we gave iv antibiotics for 2 weeks, the ostomy which skin barriers would breach with in a few hours so she had to be cleaned and new barrier put on, we had to pack and clean her incision daily or more if poop from skin barrier breach made that far, and she had to use a walker because of just having knee replacement so we were doing PT to keep her knee from locking up. Hospital didnt tell us about wound clinic to help us with ostomy and didnt set us up with home health.   She is doing much better and can spend some time by herself but she still needs help.  When I dont go stay with her I have lots to catch up on at home.  I am tired.  Our pastor is doing a lot of things on line besides Sun service.  I catch up with his morning daily devos in the evening when I get home and then he is doing trivia which has been hysterically entertaining.  My last few days at home I have spent rumaging thru boxes looking for fabric and elastic.  Then I have tried different mask patterns looking for one that would work for dh.  His ears are weird and elastic doesnt work very well.  Found a pattern we like and you can use elastic or use a sneaker/boot lace.  We like using the laces. (I had 5 pair).  They just cinch up so nice around our nose and chin.  The mask is the one with the origami fold.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, minwifeof4boys said:

Well, spent the weekend with a gall bladder attack... had one about 11 years ago and they said it needed to come out... thankfully its subsiding this time too...if its still acting up in the morning I'll end up having to call the doctor...

Not much crocheting going on, but I have been listening to an audio book in bed....

Oh no.  Hope it subsides and you dont have to have surgery right now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bailey4 said:

I'm looking to put in a Keyhole Garden.  It's elevated and it utilizes composting to create the soil you use in the box.  I found the kit I wanted and it may come back after the end of this crisis.  If not we may look into building one. There are plans all over the Internet for them.  I liked this one because it with all the pieces together.  We will see what happens.  I was just sad because we ordered it, they were going to ship, then it back ordered, then it abruptly canceled and they are not making it at this point.  I saw another kit but it wasn't as well made.

Sounds really nice.  Hope they start making them again.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, USpolishgirl said:

You are talking about Squirrels, we got thousands of them here. We got a lot of trees in this area that is why.  Each time I look at my back yard I can "spot" at least dozen of them running around...up on a trees & down from the trees LOL.  Before Christmas last year those Squirrels eat almost ALL my Cake from QVC. Those UPS guys got so "Lazy" they will NEVER ring the door bell! when they deliver a package. I have a huge I call that "Veranda" in front of my front door. And on a side of my front door there is white iron bench. So those Idiots from UPS   We do not have big wild animals here like: Bears or  did not even left that package from UPS, they  left that on a the other side of that bench. I was home that day (all day). I went to get my mail and sure as hell I did not looked far enough to the left of my front door, WHO WOULD??, no one would. I should NOT be looking for delivery box around my house. Our mail boxes are next to our front doors not by the street. When I seen that box with that cake ALL ripped out I just was so afraid to even touch that, I did not knew what will be running out of that box..?? :(. Next morning I heard some wired noises coming from the front of my house.  I went out and to my disbelieve I had seen at least 4 or 5 Sguirrels. They wore looking unusually very FAT (so round! LOL). Their tummy was so so huge!! They did look cute and very "round" LOL. They ate about 80% of those cakes LOL.

I would not try to plant veggies between flowers, they would get to them anyway.

I thought maybe? If would get someone to build those "boxes" with Chicken wire on sides/ top that probably would work. I do have a very good carpenter, I left a message for him yesterday. IF I would get those planting boxes with that chicken wire made they would need to be raise way up (with legs).  I am not planning to kill my brand new grass sad, that I paid a lot of money for it after I took out my swimming pool. My whole back yard got brand new sad.  I am not planning to grow veggies for many year, just now :).

BUT, I would need to re-surge that.. HOW those boxes needs to be build?? to have a proper irrigation at the bottoms?. I do know that roots can just rotten from too much of wet soil for too long. Maybe I need to do a lot of more reading on that subject LOL. I know there is not much time left this season.

Krys

Krys maybe you can find something like this. 

https://lingbaos.com/products/easily-growing-raised-garden-bed-with-self-watering-planter-box-and-drainage-plug?variant=2af64e84-7cc0-418b-b6c8-017587389e4a&gclid=CjwKCAjw4pT1BRBUEiwAm5QuR6NvZ_Zjk6BfSihiLvPhNjYkdZIGxUPenXQYRrW8_Ll5bgDIOJ280xoC1LgQAvD_BwE

I think I saw something similiar last year at Menards (hardware store).  There are way too many squirrels here too.  There was damage on the outside of the enclosed patio when we moved in.  They have chewed the corners off the plastic pad the ac unit is on.  I hear them up next to house under part that sticks out with the window seat.  I hit on seat to scare them off.  Dh looked and they have chewed some on batting boards. 

57 minutes ago, minwifeof4boys said:

I so hope this goes away for you.  I've had the surgery and was glad the pain finally was gone.  I have never before or since had pain like that.  My surgery experience was fine but I didn't have to have it during a pandemic so there is clearly no comparison.  However, I was terrified of having it done and thankfully the fear was far worse than the actual surgery itself.  The recovery was better than I had thought too.  Again not done during a pandemic.  However, I also suspect the surgery techniques have improved too. 

Lots of prayers for a good outcome for you and that you don't need surgery.

• Like 1

My solution to the squirrels is two Shelties.  It exercises the dogs and keeps the squirrels in the trees.

The bunnies are more of an issue because frankly they are stupid and slow.  The dogs can catch them and that isn't pretty.  I keep trying to convince the bunnies to stay in the front yard where the dogs don't go.

Edited by Bailey4

wow, much to comment on  lea so sorry about yor episode, hope it clears up for yo soon  bgs, your sis has sure had a time huh, gosh i so renmember the pic line and the antibiotics, they made me throw up but had to take them 3 mos intravenously through the pic line every 4 hours at that  ugg 

lots of talk on gardening i wonder if lyn and her flowers are blooming now  ?? she really must have a green thumb huh  

scarf is done and i will pic it for you lol  my table isn;t large enough in here, so rolled it up ready to go lol  its a little over 6 inches wide, and 54-56 inches long, and all sc  ill do a better pic of it tomorrow lol but its done!!

now what, i dunno lol  

000_0640.JPG

• Like 1