katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

Hello.

Ratdog I like your Belle shirt.

Katy I bought self rising flour too and on the bag it said it should not be used for yeast bread. It doesn't have yeast in it just baking soda and salt added which work as leavening for cookies, biscuits, etc.

I had to meet the tech person at school today and exchange my school laptop. The one I had was randomly not typing the middle row of letters. I also went to my classroom to pick up some things including the extra containers of clorox wipes I had left there. There wer only 3 of us on campus and we were all wearing masks.

I haven't been beyond my street in 4 weeks. When I drove through the development where my school is there were signs on the side walk that read something like "you're walking the wrong way, please cross the street". I was a little confused until I realized that there were similar signs on the opposite side of the street so people would only walk one way on each side of the street and not have to pass each other on the same sidewalk. 

I was making an adjustment on my mask early this morning and my sewing machine broke. I know what's wrong with but can't fix it myself. So I borrowed my mom's she hasn't used it in a few years and I haven't tried it out yet, hopefully it still works ok. I also pulled out the 2 vintage machines we have and tried them out, they both work but need a little adjusting and general servicing. I also need a power cord and foot pedal for one of them. When the stay home order is lifted I will take all the machines in for servicing and repair. So now I am going to continue working on the Princess Tiana dress for my granddaughter.

I guess that's about it for me. I hope you all have a good evening.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

Lea this ?> is for you, lol as i think you would know    we wanted to try to make a loaf or two of home made bread you know, but the store was out of yeast, and reg flour so handy got self rising flour, would that work in place of yeast??  lemme know and thank you  lol  

Self rising flour is flour with salt and baking powder -------no yeast.  You can not substitute it in a recipe that uses yeast.  However its great for making biscuits, Irish soda bread and quick breads.

https://bakerbettie.com/baking-hotline/can-make-bread-self-rising-flour/

These recipes generally use buttermilk.  You can substitute regular milk and vinegar for buttermilk.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/buttermilk-substitute/

Edited by bgs

I hope and pray no one gets sick from the beach outing! Time will tell.

I am a usual home person. Si honestly I haven't been rearing to get out. But when you have people who do all the time I'm sure it's extremely hard on them. But we all need to do our part and wait it out.  People get mad at their fur babies (dogs) when they won't listen, sit and stay. What's the humans excuse?

Love the Belle t-shirt.  You can never have to many.

Up early, working on the computer, then hopefully I will finally get my taxes done.  Bad move, moving the date.  

Stay safe everyone and Healthy.

good morning

sunny this a.m.,storms later in the day

stay safe everyone,I think part of it,is when you are told you can't do something,it makes you want to do it more

I can go 2 wks without leaving the house, but I have been itching to go out lately,same thing with the car, ,  it could sit for days and then when its in the shop I always want to go somewhere,ah well

On 4/16/2020 at 9:12 AM, pineknott said:

good morning

that's a lovely piece of work,Snowbear

there was frost on the roof tops this a.m.

stay safe everyone

Thank you

On 4/17/2020 at 5:23 PM, bgs said:

I like working with plastic canvas.  You can make coasters, kleenex box covers, magnets, boxes, etc.  If you are not a member sign up here.  Its free and they have plastic canvas patterns as well as crochet and other crafts.

https://www.freepatterns.com/

Thank you. I joined. I will make some of those ideas. Good ideas.

On 4/16/2020 at 9:12 AM, pineknott said:

good morning

that's a lovely piece of work,Snowbear

there was frost on the roof tops this a.m.

stay safe everyone

Thank you

good afternoon

the only problem I had, was they changed the size of the tissue boxes and the original pattern is too big now,and that was already two yrs ago

stay safe everyone

Hello.

I got to facetime with my 2 oldest grandkids this evening, they moved last week so they were giving me a tour of the house. The baby was napping so I didn't get to see him. My younger granddaughter will be here tomorrow, I'm looking forward to some fun with her. Today it was work as usual, I was having a problem with the camera on the new to me laptop this morning but it was fine this afternoon when the tech person from school was helping me, hopefully it will be ok for my conferences tomorrow.

Hope you all have an enjoyable evening.

Katy,..no you need yeast to make the bread... or beer..seriously..beer bread is good if they are out of yeast...

ratdog, love the shirt...

Tomorrow I am planning a little breakfast picnic out in the woods... something different...

started a new crochet wreath today.....nothing else new..

Good Morning.

Up early, we have a water delivery today.  Suppose to get another delivery from UPS this afternoon.

Now I am use to being in the house, but even I am getting antsy.

Well off to see what is going on, then off to finish eyeore.  Need to add his mane.

Keep safe and well.

good morning everyone

stay safe

Hope everyone is doing good. I wanted to say :waving. And you all are staying safe. I don't have trouble staying in. I don't get to go very much anyways.  So that's no problem. I just find stuff to do around the house. Especially when I have projects to do. I like to tried all kinds of new patterns. So I google everything. And I have been trying to learn to draw. It's going ok. I guess. Maybe one day I will share with you all a drawing. When I can draw a picture. I will share with you all a Christmas tree that I made. It hangs on the wall. As soon as I get a picture of it. If it's ok with you all. And if you all want me to share it. I been making Novi hats, still. Roses. Head and ear warmers. And doing plastic canvas work. Plus clean the house. Wheeeew I think that's enough. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2020 at 7:29 PM, minwifeof4boys said:

Katy,..no you need yeast to make the bread... or beer..seriously..beer bread is good if they are out of yeast...

ratdog, love the shirt...

Tomorrow I am planning a little breakfast picnic out in the woods... something different...

started a new crochet wreath today.....nothing else new..

ah well . Lea, none of that in the house,either, never has been in fact lol  we are non drinkers and if we were going out in the first place, i would just get yeast lol  i thought it was wrorth the ask though lol  thanks all for the info though    

Edited by katyallen8090

On 4/22/2020 at 10:34 AM, snowbear said:

Hope everyone is doing good. I wanted to say :waving. And you all are staying safe. I don't have trouble staying in. I don't get to go very much anyways.  So that's no problem. I just find stuff to do around the house. Especially when I have projects to do. I like to tried all kinds of new patterns. So I google everything. And I have been trying to learn to draw. It's going ok. I guess. Maybe one day I will share with you all a drawing. When I can draw a picture. I will share with you all a Christmas tree that I made. It hangs on the wall. As soon as I get a picture of it. If it's ok with you all. And if you all want me to share it. I been making Novi hats, still. Roses. Head and ear warmers. And doing plastic canvas work. Plus clean the house. Wheeeew I think that's enough. 

hi there snowbear, yep id love to see your pics, also your wreath lea  lol  

On 4/22/2020 at 8:20 AM, pineknott said:

good morning everyone

stay safe

trying to lol  hows everyone there, is it you that used to be a nurse, or do i have that confused with someone else lyn??

On 4/20/2020 at 6:44 PM, bgs said:

Self rising flour is flour with salt and baking powder -------no yeast.  You can not substitute it in a recipe that uses yeast.  However its great for making biscuits, Irish soda bread and quick breads.

https://bakerbettie.com/baking-hotline/can-make-bread-self-rising-flour/

These recipes generally use buttermilk.  You can substitute regular milk and vinegar for buttermilk.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/buttermilk-substitute/

thank you for the link bgs  i thought it was at leasr worth the ask lol  

hello again all!  good to see you all still healthy posting lol i am glad you cant get germs over the screen huh, what a mess that would be for all of us lol  

i found a piece of plastic canvs, and might diddle with that lol  who knows right   

I also wrote another email to our gov about a lockdown for all the good it will do i guess makes me feel better though  

i wrote to the moderator via email, to the square donation thread,  too, about an idea i had for keeping the square donations, and afghans being made going, somehow, as a tribute to Pam and all she did I do not want it to just grind to an abrupt, and untimely thread  Keep her spirit and love alive !! 

I also caught up on all the ratings and reviews  on things i have gotten online and that was going back aways     all done now !! lol

i have been going through some of my stitch books and learning a few new ones i am loving a couple and pr acting different things keeps me near my yarn lol   added plus lol  

Good afternoon

Grey skies and chilly

Stay safe everyone

Hello

I had my little granddaughter and work keeping me busy yesterday so I never got here. I worked on school stuff and did video conferences today. Now I think I'm going to do some sewing.

Stay safe everyone.

I remember some of you here were talking about planting flowers and maybe vegetables. You were not sure what is going to be available this year in stores seeds? seedlings?.

I just seen on TV News there is a place name "Burpee Gargen" and they will deliver to your door everything you need :).

I will buy some flowers from them, my girls will love that! :).. I never grow vegetables. All I know My friend use to have BIG problem because animals were eating her stuff. And I would not know HOW to protect that :(. BUT, in that place they do have something that I am very interested in it!. It is a box under closer, animals would not get to that :). We got a LOT of wild animals here.  That is "Bio-Star 1500 Premium Gold Frame" sold in that Burpee place. I think our veggies would be able to grow safe there LOL. I really got angry at our grocery store few days ago. In fruit/vegetables dept. they ONLY had: Bananas, Lettuce & Potatoes, that was it! We will order a lot of flowers too.

My girls are steel sleeping, they will be very happy to see all that stuff we can get and plant :)

Here is a link to that Burpee place: I think there are 4 or 5 States they can not deliver.

Happy gardening :)

https://www.burpee.com/gardening-supplies/frost-protection/bio-

Krys that is a cold frame.  It is used in early spring and then in fall to extend our growing season.  On warm sunny days It will get extremely hot in those and will cook your plants if you do not get those lids raised.  Not sure how plants do in them in our summers when it gets in 90's and that sun beating down all day on plants. The automatic lid raisers can fail.(I have bonsai friends that winter trees with these and in green houses where automatic things were to kick in but failed and they lost trees).  Let me know how it works using it in summer.  Burpee is a very old company and one my family has purchased garden supplies from for many years.  What vegetables are you going to try to grow? 

hi all. i would love to have a victory garden of old, but neither one of us can manage the hoeing and weeding and work involved, so we will just get what we can a few pepper plants and a couple tomato plants and pot grow them on the deck, call it done  i envy people with grand gardens full of fresh vegies!!How very fulfilling to grow a lot of your own stuff it is, huh 

Daily alert   

word to the wise here, do not inhale or inject lysol or any disinfectant, to combat covid19,  they will kill you, they are a poison    ok nuff said 

actually crocheted a bit this am. kept me amused, have no idea what to make but the hook felt good in my hands again  and led the way   lol  been awhile to be sure 

guess ill practice some more stitches later on taking a breather for now  gonn rain here, but thats fine, see  ya soon please stay well  

• Like 1

Hello everyone and happy Friday! Even though I'm staying home I still look forward to Friday because I can focus on my granddaughter or some stitching for a couple of days. Not much going on here just work stuff today. 

I hope you all have a good weekend.