katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

Every thing here is delivery.  Restaurants, fast food and groceries.  Some of the Pharmacies are getting into it also.  Only problem is they are having trouble finding people to deliver.

So sorry to hear about the trouble your sis is having.

OK, I need help here.  Someone posted a way to do rings.  The ones where you crochet so many chains, then slip stitch into the first chain to make a ring.  This way you can make it without twisting the chains.  I lost the info.

Krys I have a bonsai friend that is a virologist and she explained that after getting a flu shot it takes a couple of weeks for your body to build up immunity to protect you.  You can get the shot and then get sick because your body hasnt had time to build up immunity before you were infected.  The moral of that story was get it early while there is less chance of exposure so your body has time to build immunity.  Then there are many influenzas and each year they make an educated guess of which 3 or 4 to cover in that years vaccine.  

Katy we were lucky that sis did not die and that she is doing so well.  She had knee replacement end of Feb and then into ER and emergency surgery March 9 where they found a perforated colon.  We were told she might come out on a ventilator and her huge incision left open.  Social services kept talking about sending her to an acute rehab center but niece, sis and I felt it was best to take her home. They plan on reversing her ostomy in a few months.  I was hoping you would find toilet paper.  Niece had been seeing it in cvs when she was picking up supplies.  And right there with you on being bummed out by Pam's death.  

Well that 40° was rude after 80°s yesterday.  Yesterday dh took advantage of the good weather and got on sis's roof to clean all the limbs off the roof and debris out of the vallies.  It was bad and really needed it.  He also found a decapitated squirrel and some huge excrement-----must be from a huge raccoon.  Sis said she had heard something way bigger than a squirrel up there.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bgs said:

Krys I have a bonsai friend that is a virologist and she explained that after getting a flu shot it takes a couple of weeks for your body to build up immunity to protect you.  You can get the shot and then get sick because your body hasnt had time to build up immunity before you were infected.  The moral of that story was get it early while there is less chance of exposure so your body has time to build immunity.  Then there are many influenzas and each year they make an educated guess of which 3 or 4 to cover in that years vaccine.

Brenda I think we are talking about two very different things about those Flu shots :).

I was talking about how they used to (years ago...) make those Flu vaccines with life  Influence -virus in those vaccines. And you are talking about a time that takes sometimes for a human body to adjust to that or except that. Your friend  virologist was talking about those flu shot the way they making them now & human body reacting to that sometimes.

Those flu shots what they are making now, they do not have a life virus in them. The way that vaccine is being made now it is a lot safer.  That old one could start a very bad case of flu to some people (not many). When I got sick after that "old" flu shot I thought I was going to die! I was sick like a "dog" for over a month. I was in a hospital for 9 days. That old flu shot must of work OK for most of people. Otherwise they would not been giving that to people. But I know I was not the only one. Even from some of my friends I heard the same story about someone getting that sick from that "old" flu shot.

Krys 

Edited by USpolishgirl

Thanks Krys.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tampa Doll said:

Thanks Krys.

WOW! that link could not been looooonger LOL

1 hour ago, USpolishgirl said:

Brenda I think we are talking about two very different things about those Flu shots :).

I was talking about how they used to (years ago...) make those Flu vaccines with life  Influence -virus in those vaccines. And you are talking about a time that takes sometimes for a human body to adjust to that or except that. Your friend  virologist was talking about those flu shot the way they making them now & human body reacting to that sometimes.

Those flu shots what they are making now, they do not have a life virus in them. The way that vaccine is being made now it is a lot safer.  That old one could start a very bad case of flu to some people (not many). When I got sick after that "old" flu shot I thought I was going to die! I was sick like a "dog" for over a month. I was in a hospital for 9 days. That old flu shot must of work OK for most of people. Otherwise they would not been giving that to people. But I know I was not the only one. Even from some of my friends I heard the same story about someone getting that sick from that "old" flu shot.

Krys 

Yes Krys two different things.  I was just adding info to yours.

3 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Every thing here is delivery.  Restaurants, fast food and groceries.  Some of the Pharmacies are getting into it also.  Only problem is they are having trouble finding people to deliver.

So sorry to hear about the trouble your sis is having.

OK, I need help here.  Someone posted a way to do rings.  The ones where you crochet so many chains, then slip stitch into the first chain to make a ring.  This way you can make it without twisting the chains.  I lost the info.

This was the thread here.

1 hour ago, bgs said:

Yes Krys two different things.  I was just adding info to yours.

My friend he had a bad experience with that "old" flu vaccine. And he is/was very healthy & in good shape.  His flu after that "old" flu shot was not bad as mine but after that he just give up on those for many years. About 4 years ago I had to "drag him there kicking & screaming" to get that flu shot LOL. He was sure he will get sick again, he did not. Those guys sometime behave like little kids!.

Here is my New Plan for that none-ending.. "Lock-up"!

I am planning to drive to Wisconsin on Sunday morning (very early). Spend Easter at my daughter & with my grand-kids :). Monday morning I am coming back home with my two grand-kids :). I want them here with me!. It will be better & safer for them to stay with me at this time. There they are not going out anywhere. They  stay at home, so that is good.  But my daughter goes to work every day & dealing with other people at her work. So that always presents a chance she might get "something" no matter how careful she is trying to be. My younger granddaughter is very healthy & strong. That older one have couple health issues. That is why I am very worry about her. I am worry about all of them but specially about my older granddaughter :(..

Here with me they can be protected a lot better. They are very happy they are coming here. First of all they will have more space here, I got big house. I have a back yard, they can play Valley Ball or whatever they will like to play..?. Summer is almost here. We can have Barbeque -"picnics" outside :).  Or they can get painting lessons, maybe some crocheting or even wreath making?. I live on a very quiet street with "death end" we never had a lot of traffic here, now no one is there. So, they can ride bikes if they want. I do have 2 good bikes in my garage. Or they can watch paid Movies?, not all the time. Maybe one every other day? or so. We will see... To bad I took out that swimming pool, they would have a lot of fun. .!. Thank God I did got that deep freezer for my garage, it is almost full :). of fresh meet, frozen vegetables and frozen fruit. They like to make "smoody" with frozen fruit.

And YES, I will try to teach them how to clean the house properly, that includes doing laundry & folding clothes properly and maybe how to sew back the buttons to their clothes LOL. For that they will get "Rewards", probably Gift cards to Amazon or..??.. i will see if I can get someone to buy some flowers for my back yard (I am not going to that store!). I think they would like that. I just wonder if they would deliver few flats of flowers??. We got here very big gardening shop.

Yes, I think I got all planned out!, I think...??.  O Boy!! LOL.  And NO!, they are not bringing their 4 pets here!. Maybe only one dog, that smart one & a Gold fish! LOL

For me will be a lot better to have them here too. I am siting here by my self. going "nuts". My friend is not "allowed" to come here. Because of his business he is around many people every day. His employees and costumers. He is very healthy & strong. My immune system is not in very good shape & I do have couple health issues. I just do  not want to take that chance to get something from him.

He is a very understanding guy, that is good.

Krys

good morning everyone

stay safe

Hi everyone.  The sun is shinning right now, but we are looking at clouds, as a cold front is coming thru.:rofl

Thought I would drop by, before I go to my corner.

Good morning!

im sitting here crocheting the Twisted Kraken Hat. It's pretty cool. Almost done with the outside tentacles.

I'm another one that doesn't believe in the flu shot. My whole family got the flu shot ,but me and they all were so sick. Thank goodness I didn't take it cause we would Of had no one to take care of us. Everyone believes what they want and has free agency to have the shot. I don't think I will be standing in line for any shot. 

I'll probably venture out today to get dogfood. Is out online so will see. 

I just wanted to pop in to say hello. We are staying in and safe and healthy. I hope you are all doing well.

Dh and I were sitting here eating our dinner, when we realized we have not heard or seen a bird.  This time of the year, we are seeing black birds, Cardinals, Blue Jays and some sparrows.  we have not even seen them.  Also missing are squirrels and lizards.  Where the heck are they all?  I know we have State Troopers at the boarder, but come on Birds?:rofl

Thought I would throw that little tid bit in. 

Posted (edited)

The birds and squirrels are on their way Mary Jo. They are all stopping in my yard to eat on their way to you.

Edited by ratdog

I'd gladly send you the abundance of mockingbirds,they chase all the other birds from the birdbath

well we have no shortage of birds lol  they rise right before snrise it seems, and there are three that serenade me awake, a woodpecker,  tap tap tapping, a cardinal with their pretty song. and am owl hoo hoo hoo, they seem to complement each-other lol 

nice day out, and forecast says snow on Sunday, ha wont happen its too warm, might be a springtime shower, but thats about it im sure

so suck it up old man winter, see ya next year, have a nice trip!!  

oh the pet food deal, yep, one has to have that or the little angels get a bit cranky lol  

how are your doggies doing Sandra??and all the rest of  you? 

diabetes puts me me high risk asthma does it for handy so we are being very cautious you know  i have no death wish you know  

well all for now hope you all stay well, stay in. save lives  catch up later folks :ghug 

We've got plenty of birds and squirrels.  We'd have more wild bunnies if they weren't so darn stupid.  No dogs in the front yards of our neighborhoods and one of two of the next door neighbor's back yard has plenty of tasty clover and no dogs.  Why then must you live life dangerously in our back yard???

Finally looking into making masks.  The governor is strongly recommending masks and some stores are starting to talk about requiring people to wear them.  I realized I have plenty of elastic from my doll supplies so I may use that instead of the hair bands or rubber bands I've seen suggested.  I hate the idea of rubber bands breaking and the hair bands I have can bind I use them for doll clothes too, not hair.  So we will see.  DH has to decide what of the cloth we have on hand he wants to try as he's the one that needs one the most as he makes the most trips out these days to hunt and gather so to speak.  Going to have DH see if he can get coffee filters for the insides if there are any left now the governor has suggested we all wear them.

I went into a store for the first time in weeks and I realized one of the challenges with masks is understanding some of the store clerks.  Thankfully what was being communicated wasn't critical but without a mask I think the clerk likely mumbles.  With a mask we needed a white board or other communication device because what he said sounded like mush and I still pride myself after all these years since leaving teaching as being able to understand most of what is said to me even when not spoken clearly. His coworker seemed to be able to communicate with it on so some clearly are managing better than others.

I can't imagine what people who truly do have hearing challenges must be going through at this point.  God Bless the clerks they are doing amazing work and they need the protective gear but I hope they find ways to work out that challenge.  I hope people have patience, compassion, and kindness towards those who are serving, this has got to be a tough time to be in retail.

It was brutally cold and windy today but we got an outdoor project done that needed doing and DH got most of the grocery shopping done.  He needs to hit one store tomorrow and we will be good for the week.  I was thrilled we were able to get the roast we wanted for Easter and some crock pot meat we'll cook up for the rest of the week.  Meat has been hit or miss lately.  Last week we could only get a bone in pork roast for the crock pot.  He also found some house products we haven't seen in a few weeks.  This has given me a little hope that perhaps things are looking up.

Happy Easter if I don't get back.

good morning

only in the 40's,a warm up in a couple of days

stay safe out there

Good morning.  I hope you all are having an enjoyable day. I'm adjusting face masks I made for my daughter last weekend, we had to adjust some of the fitting. Then I'll be making a few more for her and some of her coworkers. I also had a friend who owns a commercial air conditioning and refrigeration company ask for some for their employees. So I will be busy sewing today and tomorrow, which hopefully will keep my mind off the fact that it's the first Easter that I won't be with my kids and grandkids. I had grocery delivery yesterday so I should be good for the week. 

Stay safe everyone.

1586611344358757535212.thumb.jpg.c34e237c5a9d7ba23c05de0e5a1e0138.jpg

My son sent a photo when he got the mask I made for him. I told him it looks big so he should pin it and toghten the elastic.

He said it was just puffed out due to his "Quarentine Beard"

• Like 1

Love the picture.  Lots of the guys I have seen, have quarantine beards.  I am ready to take a pair of scissors to my bangs.  In the eyes.

A little cool today, but heat and humidity will be back.  All the rain is staying North of us.

Well, we do not even have the Mocking birds or the annoying Starlings.  They usually sit on the wires behind the house and sing one after the other down the line.

Pollen is up and allergies are kicking in.  I can't go out, as anyone who hears me sneeze will think it is the virus, instead of allergies.

Have fun today.   

0h so glad to hear and see your masks i forgot to take a pic of ours both kinds  daughters two have a filter in them our two handy made are 4 layers with a fold ed coffee filter in the inside front if desired  

He has worn his many times i dont go out much now lol  but glad we have them neighbor called yesterday asked handy how to make some, i referred him to the internet, they have tons of ways there now , and handy went to his back door and hung on the handle some white elastic for a couple masks  lol  have fun bud!! 

our stupid state Nebraska, is one that doesn't have a state wide lock down but us and all around Omaha have a city and town lockdown  order and have for some time now  so we are doing ok i guess, staying busy to cut some boring times lol  

stay in stay safe, save lives all!!

wow a headless squire ll, sounds like the work of a hawk or an owl  that is kinda scary huh  

ive seen fox, coyote, raccoon, deer, and possoms, and skunks from time to time, no not all i a row parading their presence lol  and hawks an eagle, and numerous other creatures, but no turkeys so far, they are usually coming out to eat our bread crumbs by now, i sure hope those bigger predators didnt wipe out our little flock !! 

I am learning stuff though by googling it when i am bored lol  its a good way to pass the time sometimes!!

Posted (edited)

I am almost ready for my trip to WI. tomorrow morning.  Can not wait to see them & bring my granddaughters here to stay with me :).  The only thing I am short on it is Macaroni & cheese! LOL. They love that stuff. I do not care for it, that is why I do not have it.

Yesterday I was thinking about those face mask's.. And it came to my mind that fabric with very high thread counts (like in some sheets sets) I thought could be good for those masks. It is very tightly woven (not like other fabric's) and it is very soft. That high  thread count fabric probably would provide better protection. That is my opinion only.

My grandkids got those good "professional" masks. My daughter gets them from her work: County Jail. So I think I will get some for me :). One or two would be nice.

Krys

Edited by USpolishgirl