katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2020 new thread

Good morning. All is well here. Starting today DH has to wear a mask while seeing patients in the office. 

Had to go to an appointment today. Seems to be too much traffic on the road for a state under stay at home orders. Saw a few masks but still many without.

Not sure what I am going to do today. Need to find something productive.

On 4/3/2020 at 12:36 PM, Bailey4 said:

I will say this I can see supporting Hardware over yarn however I still can't wrap my head around what is deemed "essential" vs non-essential.  For instance liquor and pot (not medical but all pot shops as pot is legal in this state) are open because they are deemed necessary.  The local paper had an article to explain the reasoning because people were a little "upset" that some stores they wanted to visit were closed but the local weed store was open.  It was explained in the paper that liquor and pot were deemed "essential" because the state didn't want to create a black market for the products.

So clearly essential isn't as clear as what you need to keep your home maintained or your family fed.  Sometimes it is what the state doesn't want people finding alternative methods of getting.  So our problem is we don't have a black market yarn problem when we are asked to stay home.:lol

well bailey, i think that is ridiculous too, but who are we to say you know    

oh and so life continues huh  i do believe a nationwide stay in stay safe deal, is the best way to combat this though, i wish our state would issue one, im writing our gov. today along with a lot of other folks im sure, that would like to stay alive you know   

well seems the cdc is now for masks, which you cant buy here either along with t- paper, hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol.or 

bleach or lysol  daughter gave me some bleach tablets, only 1 makes a gallon of bleach, but how cool huh  i didnt even know they had that  .. anyway, made a gallon yesterday which will last us a long long time lol  and it is like store bought  i mixed it in an old washed out detergent bottle, and it was a gallon and a third so we only filled with water about  2 thirds up, and dropped in, tablet  it works!!  

as for the t paper shortage, we are out, been out, cant find, so stoking up on paper napkins, and kleenex for sure, more info than you needed huh lol 

There are empty meat freezers in the stores, and canned goods are skimpy  gonna get worse before-it gets better  i think    

most take out places are doing ok, for pick up or deliveries, cig stores are still open, as are most groceries, some have changed to shorter hours, or special times for those at higher risk but life goes on  we will defeat this i know  

so kep your masks on, stay in, stay safe, and help to stop the spread    all for now we are  stronger than this  virus     

25 minutes ago, katyallen8090 said:

bleach or lysol  daughter gave me some bleach tablets, only 1 makes a gallon of bleach, but how cool huh  i didnt even know they had that  .. anyway, made a gallon yesterday which will last us a long long time lol  and it is like store bought  i mixed it in an old washed out detergent bottle, and it was a gallon and a third so we only filled with water about  2 thirds up, and dropped in, tablet  it works!!  

Those are the bleach tablets what people needed to buy in huge buckets for swimming pools. About couple years ago I started seeing them packed individually as a "toilet cleaners", you put one to to your toilet tank. WELL, that toilet idea it is not very good!. That STRONG small of concentrated chlorine will makes you sick, hard to breath :(. That strong smell even went on my hallway & in to one of my bedrooms (close to that washroom) I had to take that  OUT after one day! :(.

Those big Chlorine tablets are close to 3" in diam. They have them in smaller sizes too.. I was buying them by the buckets. I remember it was about 120 Bucks for a bucket at Sam's Club. If you would try to buy those Chlorine tablets at swimming pool supply store, they were a LOT more expensive. I guess everyone is trying to make money as much as they can..! LOL

Krys

48 minutes ago, katyallen8090 said:

well seems the cdc is now for masks, which you cant buy here either along with t- paper, hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol.or 

Try strong VODKA instead of rubbing alcohol. It works. Do not buy that sweet flavored vodka just plain. You do not want to have anything sticky on your hands LOL

Krys

ah well we do not have vodka, lol we are non drinkers, but ill pass that on thanks  one would think vodka doesn't have 90 percent alcohol in it, does it??

i found an article on that very thing and it is not strong enough as most vodkas are diluted and are not strong enough alcohol levels to kill germs  

Update 3/11/2020: a sentence in this post originally said that diluted vodka “means it’s no longer strong enough to actually kill bacteria and work as a hand sanitizer.” While this is true, general  hand sanitizer can also protect against viruses, including corona virus, and not just bacteria. this article advises against so? i dunno i dont know if vodka comes diluted  ?? i will just wait for some rubbing alcohol lol  i dont frequent those places anyway but thanks, good info if it works!   

Edited by katyallen8090

was very foggy here this am, just now cleared a bit, sun is very weakly trying to force  at least a quick appearance today anyway lol it seems it is fighting a losing battle with mo. nature though haha     

1 hour ago, katyallen8090 said:

ah well we do not have vodka, lol we are non drinkers, but ill pass that on thanks  one would vodka doesn't have 90 percent alcohol in it, does it??

That is why they are keeping liquor stores open! LOL. Not only for drinkers any longer :)

70 % is enough, When they were talking about 90% and adding other stuff like:  about 20-25% Aloe-Vera and.. That would go down to about 70%.

Their is Polish alcohol called "Spirytus". That stuff is almost 200 %. Do not try to drink that unless you want to commit suicide :)

This days every idiot will say or write their opinions on everything they can, just to show up their names one way or another. It is like that story with face masks for regular people- us. They were saying over & over again...we do NOT need any  face masks. Now they are telling us to wear anything even scarfs!, Hmm??. I think that was on Saturday. That Doctor -woman (forgot her name) standing next to president saying: "Do NOT go to grocery's stores or pharmacy's"!. Is she out of her mind??. Some people life's depends on medications. You would think that person like her with that position would know better not to say that way!. And what about that person that could not "stock-up" on food because she or he did not have money.  They should just sit at home hungry for the next couple weeks? until they die?.

It is like about medications they were saying weeks ago (same woman doctor standing always next to president):: "STOCK -UP" on your medications!. Yes that was a good idea. With one very important exception and that is: Insurances will NOT pay for medications for people to be able to stock-up on it!. They will only pay 3 or 4 days before is time for next refill. They will NOT pay for medications that next refill date will be even 10 days earlier. SO, how people could stock up on their meds??. They could not.

Krys

Edited by USpolishgirl

It depends on the insurance and perhaps the state govt too.  Some insurance companies relaxed restrictions and allowed 90 pharmacy refills if you had that left on your prescription.  My insurance allowed us an extra 30 day refill even though we'd not normally be eligible for a refill yet as the state was pushing the insurance companies to reduce the need for consumers to visit the pharmacies.  My bigger concern is going to be getting my prescription renewed as my appt where that normally happens was cancelled so if this thing continues on for a couple of months more I could have problems as the office is not always easy to negotiate for this stuff when not under a pandemic.

I hope one thing that people in communication positions learn from this virus is that it is better to admit you don't know than make policy based on not wanting to appear ignorant and lacking in understanding of the situation.  The masks is an example of not knowing how to handle a situation where shortages were coming and not wanting to panic a nation.  In the future they need to admit they don't know how something is transmitted and admit they are learning on the job.  It is scary but it is important to have a solution before you come out and tell people something that you know later is going to come out and cause people to know you didn't give them accurate information.  How do you regain that trust that the rest of the information is not equally flawed?

Realistically until we experienced this I don't think the American public would have believed this was coming.  We've talked about it for years.  So, I'm not surprised we weren't fully prepared.  I suspect there are a number of other things that until we experience we won't understand either.  It is the nature of being human. 

Instead of looking back, my hope is we do look at this as a chance to think about what can be done to better prepare in the future.  Each situation will be different but there are always certain lessons that remain.  Are cities and states investing in medical supplies for emergencies?  Do we have US suppliers who can be relied upon to produce more in situations like this one when foreign suppliers aren't available?  Are we prepared for the increased costs in US production?  Also and I think this is an important one what can we do to help Americans as individuals and families be ready with their own health kits to have on hand and encourage people to check like we do with our smoke alarms when we change the clock.  Are your supplies ready and still good?  What should those supplies be?  I know my in-laws have a yearly routine for Hurricane food and first aid stuff in FL along with a bug out kit that they check every year before Hurricane season starts.  Perhaps we can help people to have at least basic supplies on hand.

Clearly you aren't going to have the weapons to fight COVID  or other specific diseases in your emergency kit but you could have basics like cloth masks for all your family, fever medications, etc. that become remarkably hard to find once these things start.  The key would be that yearly check in to make sure your emergency supply hasn't expired, perhaps using up the stuff that gets close to dates and replacing it with new that will last until next check.  You might have a separate supply for cleaning supplies and emergency food again checking the expiration dates once a year and using up the stuff that gets close to the dates.  That would mean you wouldn't be buying toilet paper and bleach when it is the hardest thing to find on the market.  Space and money are an issue, so you can only store what you can store but lately I'm thinking more seriously about how to arrange this so we have stuff on hand for emergencies, but keep an eye on it so it isn't bad when we actually need it.

Odd

Lea love the mask.  What a cool way to put a smile on someone's face.

I am curious.  How many of you would of gotten a shot, if it had of been available before hand?  Now think, how many of you get a flu shot every year?  How many of you have gotten the Penomonia (sp sucks) shot?  See everyone yells, yet when it comes right down to it, they don't get the shots necessary, unless it is in short supply.  I know I will get a lecture on this, but when you think of it, it is true.  We have all our shots (sound like puppies) and will be the first in line if they come up with one for this virus.

As the weather warms, it is going to be harder and harder to keep people indoors.  I turn on the local news and there always seems like there is an accident on the roadways somewhere.  So much for stay at home.

Well, I have finished Tigger and posted him in Show and Tell.

Beautiful day here, suppose to get some clouds maybe some rain 🤞

• Like 1

!!ell hello all  leave it to Lea to make us smile~!!    was a very good day, 1.. handy walked into walgreens for my prescription, and people were unloading and filing the shelves with toilet paper!!   but they are 9 paks, so he got 2 9 pacs!there was a limit of 2  

2. got an email telling me to reserve my copy of John Grishms  new book!! So got that done,and 

3.  oh, my new thermometers came yesterday! My 2 old ones still worked, just didnt beep anymore lol  we take our temps twice a day as we do both fit into the higher risk per centage  for covid19   

Yes MJ. i agree, we have had our shots as well, i even had to pay for my pneumonia shots as i was not old enough and ins didnt want to pay for it  also flu shots every year for many years  but they the ins covered

i too will be in line for a vaccine!  My neighbor says they wont though, as they dont want to be Guinney pigs  that is just silly, but that is their choice i guess    

our stupid state still has no lock-down order, and this is the very time to do that, BEFORE it gets out of hand   its almost like a genocide, an evil plot to rid america of the old, the poor, and the weak          I have not yet heard the word, AntiChrist, but have been almost thinking it when i let myself go there     again my pinon is this, you can almost chose life, or death here folks, just almost..i chose to fight this for my life     

well, started out so sunny dreamed about cats, and by the bye bgs, do you hear how your old cats at the old place are doing? 

lea thanks for your pic, worked wonders lol  

sandra, so nice to hear from you was getting worried  missy  are you still crocheting??I have sortof  put it in limbo for a bit, after i heard Pam died, i just haven"t felt like doing it  she was the square lady that put our squares into beautiful afghans for pine ridge rez... she will be missed 

so i pass the time coloring, or playing Luxor on the computer, , i beat the Luxor rizing, but cant get off 12-6 on the original luxor lol  and when your'e outta lives on round 6, you have to go all the way back to 12-1 lol  i dont count anymore how many times i have had to start over lol  or i watch a movie, clean something, sort something and or just listen to an audio book i have heard before lol  

thinking about going through my old picture box that is not in albums yet but  i would have too then order some more albums lol  i only have that old pic box to do left, some of them are what  nephew saved from my sis's house before the jerk  threw everything away and my nephew got those from him before he did 

although i never got the donkey of my moms that sis had, or my grandmas bell, i have found them online, and even though they didnt belong  to my family they remind me of my family, even though they are gotten on ebay, or amazon  i was so darn lucky to find them both and in such a way that was totally unexpected as well, it was like mom and gramma, guided me to it each one of the items  

i never got my set of mixing bowls, but I did bid on a set, and lost and it sold for much more than i thought i could do, so i hope whomever got them loves them like i would have lol  every big meal we had when i was young, was served in one or all of those bowls   i may still be able to get some someday, but am happy with my donkey and my bell   lol  for now lol  

oh i have rambled, but feels good to connect with you all lol here's knowing we all will come out the other side of this, and be healthy and happy again someday soon  🤗          

remind me another time to tell you all the story about my moms cookbook ok  thanks  lol  

Edited by katyallen8090

Hello

Lea that is a cute mask.

I'm keeping busy with work and my granddaughter. I hope you are all staying busy, safe and healthy.

I don't get a flu shot. I had it twice when I was pregnant and was advised to. Both times I was sicker those winters than normal AND miscarried within 2 weeks of getting the shot. I know it's unlikely to have been connected, but I just can't do it. And no, I'm not pregnant. I don't know if I'll get the Covid vaccine when/if they are able to develop one. We'll see when the time comes.

Good Morning everyone.

Another day in Paradise for all of us.

No sun this morning, just clouds, but no rain promised.

Usually at this time of the year, I am getting ready for Hurricane Season.  I do have plenty of soup, and water and other things, but some of the stuff I stock up on, we can not get.  Hopefully before any hurricanes develop we get over this .

I have been seeing mask all over the internet.  Amazing how everyone is stepping up to help.

Well, off to make breakfast and then work on Eyeore.

Have a fun day.

good morning

overcast,light showers on and off all day

stay safe everyone

Bgs,are you able to get the supplies that you need for your sister?prayers

12 minutes ago, pineknott said:

good morning

overcast,light showers on and off all day

stay safe everyone

Bgs,are you able to get the supplies that you need for your sister?prayers

Lyn our biggest problem is with her ostomy.  We blow thru those supplies as some days it has to be changed 3 times per day and they are supposed to not have to be changed but every 3 to 4 days.  Such fun having poop oozing out and her incision area is so close we were constantly having to change that dressing and clean it too.  Niece and I have done tons of research and niece has called and talked to lots of people.  They say it can be really frustrating finding the right combination of products to work for you.  People always ask what does home health say.  We dont have home health.  As far as we know dr never recommended it even though the wound nurse discussed it.  One of the wound ostomy nurses said they didnt see outpatients and nothing was said or done there on how we were to deal with the ostomy.  Niece has called to ask a question a time or too AND THEN  yesterday someone in that dept says they see ostomy patients at their Plaza location. Why in the blue blazes didnt the hospital or the ostomy wound nurses give us that info in the hospital.  Sis now has an appointment there on Tues.  She goes to dr appointments and physical therapy but is uncomfortable going anywhere for fear of poop oozing out all over.  Sis is doing more and more for herself but isnt changing these yet because we dont have the right setup.

1 hour ago, bgs said:

our biggest problem is with her ostomy

All of that must be very hard on all of you, specially your sister. When I read all of that I was getting teary eyes. And timing is so bad to need to deal with all of that and all the other "stuff" what comes with that C-virus :(.

As for me I cancel my Mammogram & my yearly check-up for now.  Right now I just want to stay away from places with many people there. Since no one can tell in many cases who got that virus & who dos not. 

I hope your sister will get the right help soon.

Krys

omg bgs, your poor sis.  i never knew what happened to her, but sounds like its pretty serious  im so sorry for you all  and then on top of that too, this corona you know, my prayers go out to you all with this struggle it hits me at my very core, cos of my little sis, so  know your pain only too well   

sun shining day today, feels nice to see the sun and wonder how its warmth gets all the way to my window!! 

i have watched some decent movies lately on netflix. saw Outbreak, Pandemic,Fallen angel, and more, oh 2012 too  so have been not bored so far, krys, had to laugh at "crochet friend" lol  too funny thanks for the giggles  

Our masks are 4 thicknesses of a cotton pillow cae, elastic ear bands, and work great  they are washable and we hang to dry after each use 

had a treat we dont get often, delivery from our fav diner, and they gave us enough for an army lol  we have gone there litterally for years, but didnt want to eat in among all those people, so handy saw a sign in their window, take out or delivery so that is what we did!  It was just as we recalled it lol, tons of food, and delish still  they make the best onion rings ever, and cheese frenchies too we enjoyed what we had, and i have half of mine left for lunch today no matter how much i wanted to, i just could not finish it all lol   

that will count as our splurge lol for a while  so good  

even handy has half his for today, lol 

oh other news, finally got my hand sanitizer from amazon, most i looked at when i ordered were " reserved for hospitals etc" so i finally found a set of 2 for a reasonable price, not marked for hospitals, and promptly ordered them lol  they are not the brand i usually get, but really who cares, oh and yester we finally got toilet paper, yay  lol  things are lookinf a bit brighter around here for now  the lull before the storm??well thank goodness 

you are all still ok that thing with Pam, really took some air out from under  my wings you know  

l good health, and will see you on here again soon ok  love to all that reads this   for now tata  

Edited by katyallen8090

11 hours ago, howieann said:

I don't get a flu shot. I had it twice when I was pregnant and was advised to. Both times I was sicker those winters than normal AND miscarried within 2 weeks of getting the shot. I know it's unlikely to have been connected, but I just can't do it. And no, I'm not pregnant. I don't know if I'll get the Covid vaccine when/if they are able to develop one. We'll see when the time comes.

How long ago did you got those Flu shots (you got sick from it)?. I am asking because many years ago those Flu shots were made differently. They use to have a LIFE virus in them. That was why some people were getting very sick shortly after they got that shot. Now those Flu shots are different. They do NOT have life virus in them. I am writing that to you because same thing was happening to me with those flu shots & me getting very sick few days after I got them. And I do mean VERY sick like never before. After that i did the same thing as you, I stop getting them for years...Since I find out about that Life-Virus and those changes how they making that now, I am getting Flu shot every year and I am fine.

Your case might be different..

Krys

you folks are all amazing!!  I so appreciate your efforts and commitment to beating this scourge on humanity   :clap:ghug:ty 

• Like 1