katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2019 new thread

good morning

thanks Bgs,I had no clue

well winter chill is finally making itself known in these parts,we had been enjoying 70's and more recently the 50's over nite is going to be in the 30's brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Its been a long hard day.  Took advantage of warm day to work in attic since dh doesnt like opening it up when its cold ( we access it from outside).  Spent day carrying boxes from back of attic to front after cleaning out front.  Guy will be here Fri for that stuff :xfin and even though he said he would bring someone to carry it out dh didnt want to chance them accidentally stepping on the duct work.  Still have some left to move so will finish tomorrow.  4pm and I realized I had not eaten anything but a banana all day nor had anything to drink.  Stopped for pizza and sitting there started having spasms in my back.  I cracked my head pretty hard in the rafters today too.  

Krys that is exactly the goal in bonsai---- imitate a mature tree in nature.  We use copper colored aluminum wire.  Its cheaper and much easier to work with.  The guys with the bigger trees tend to use copper wire as it is stronger.  At the old place thermostat is at 68 winter 72 summer.  Its a ground source heat pump with aux electric heat should it get too cold but I have never seen it come on except when I switch over to heat and there is a big difference in room temp and what I set thermostat at.  Gas heat is much warmer.  I get really cold and can hardly stay awake in the evening but then in night break out sweating.  Dh likes it hot.  In fact once he was so close to a bonfire,all comfortable, the soles of his boots were glowing red and melted.  

Mary Jo yesterday I was amazed at how warm the metal felt above the fireplace from just the pilot light.  Even though they put in a programmable thermostat when we had to have the new heat pump put in they said with a heatpump its more energy efficient to just leave it set at same temp.  

14 hours ago, bgs said:

Krys that is exactly the goal in bonsai---- imitate a mature tree in nature.  We use copper colored aluminum wire.  Its cheaper and much easier to work with.  The guys with the bigger trees tend to use copper wire as it is stronger.  At the old place thermostat is at 68 winter 72 summer.  Its a ground source heat pump with aux electric heat should it get too cold but I have never seen it come on except when I switch over to heat and there is a big difference in room temp and what I set thermostat at.  Gas heat is much warmer.  I get really cold and can hardly stay awake in the evening but then in night break out sweating.  Dh likes it hot.  In fact once he was so close to a bonfire,all comfortable, the soles of his boots were glowing red and melted.  

Brenda that is funny about those melted boots LOL.  Me & my husband were opposite.  I always needed much warmer temperature than my husband. I used to called that between us we wore going thru" unspoken war..!". It was constantly with out saying anything one of us just went to thermostat turn down or turn up that thermostat. In summer he was always turning that up after a while when it got to cold for me I just went and turned that air-condition  down. That usually happened couple or even few times per day- when both of us were home all day. In winter was opposite I was turning that up & he was turning that down. Even at night we were doing same thing..Who ever woke up went straight to thermostat LOL.

To take down lot of stuff from attic I think there should be two guys. One on top (in that attic by that opening) handing things down to the other guy who is on those stairs or stepladder.  That way goes much faster and no one gets over work (too tired).

Couple years ago I got everything out from my attic. I got a big dumpster and 2 guys and everything went out!. My husband you could call that was a "rat-pack"! :).. He even installed a floor in that whole attic to put some stuff there... OMG! there was a lot of stuff. Right now that attic is empty, nothing there with the exception of one box of tiles that we used when finishing our basement. I even empty-ed  my Shed in my back yard. There was a lot of stuff from that swimming pool and... Now that Shed is empty and it is going to stay that way!. I do not like clutter.

Krys  

Hello. The grandkids and a leaky faucet have kept me busy today. The faucet wasn't bad but I had to help my dad with it, he says his eyes don't see as well as they used to. My granddaughter is napping and my grandson decided to take a rest with her but not sleep, oh I think he is up and moving again. We're planning to go to the playground after nap time so everyone will be worn out again before bedtime. My sewing room has been converted to a campground, both grandkids brought their tents with them, my grandson's is big enough for the full size air mattress so that is where he is sleeping at night. My granddaughter will probably be sleeping on the sofa bed because her tent is not big enough for a mattress although she is insisting that she is sleeping there tonight. 

I hope you all are enjoying your weekend.

Finished dinner and just relaxing watching some football.  Oh the late game in Green Bay, IT'S SNOWING.  That is so cool.  It is not much, but it is enough that we can see it.

Getting ready to shut down for the night.

Cable company coming tomorrow to change out our box.  It was not working this morning.  Every channel was pixelated.  It started to work before the games today.  Good thing.

Well, have a great night.

Hello everyone.  Not much to say.  We are expecting some light snow today.  Hope everyone has a great crochet day.

good morning

dental appt. at 1

Good Morning.  The Cable guy is here and he is fixing my signal.  When I turned on the box this morning, it was all pixels again.  Turns out it was the signal between the wall and the TV.

Wow, I got to see snow last night.  At the Green Bay game it started out as just snow flakes, by the end of the game, the field was getting covered and you could just about see the fans.  It was so cool.  Sometimes I miss that, but then I remember how cold it was.  One thing they did say, NOBODY left the game.

Hey Brenda, sorry about KC.  Believe it or not the Bucs won and YEAH:clap Dallas lost.

Beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky and No humidity so far.

Off to my corner.

Edited by Tampa Doll

Its a crummy morning here.  Sleet pellets are covering the ground.  I so wanted to be moved before this kind of weather hit and most years it would have been ok.  Hardest thing has been how to get rid of things.  Guess old time auctions are becoming a thing of the past.  They do it all online and you have to haul it to them.  Even at that they are only interested in high dollar items like tools and riding mowers.  If we were in the city some of the thrift stores pick up.  Dh is on a roll going thru things this morning.  Me I just cant get seem get started.  

Mary Jo as usual didnt see KC's game but heard the Bucs won.  So are the 49ers the only team left with no losses?

Yeah the 49er's are the only team that is 8-0.  See how they play tonight. They are playing the Seahawks, so we shall see.  Good thing you did not see the game, we were doing a lot of yelling at the coach.

Warming up again.  still not to bad with no humidity.  Sorry about getting excited about the snow yesterday.  I know a lot of you are having cold and miserable weather.  Take care with the driving and such.

Getting snow here in central Mo, its starting to cover the ground pretty well.  I know there's sleet under the snow as well.  Glad I don't have to go anywhere today!  

Brenda, this weather is surely not helping your work!   i noticed your comment about auctions...I think it's a shame if we're going to lose the tradition of the in-person auction 😔    Lately I've noticed that tag or estate sales seem to be more popular now, it would be a service that comes in and prices everything then manages the sale itself over a couple of days.  Personally I don't like online auctions, bidders wait til the last fraction of a second and jump in and it's really hard to compete with that.  Tried to buy a tool set my husband wanted that way and it was very disappointing after going to the warehouse to see the actual items, then waiting til the bidding opened, watching till the last moment of bidding to try to keep up, then not even being able to tell what was happening.   Well I hope there will still be some "real" auctions around to help people liquidate stuff when they need to.  

2 minutes ago, Tampa Doll said:

Sorry about getting excited about the snow yesterday.  I know a lot of you are having cold and miserable weather.  Take care with the driving and such.

Mary Jo, I don't follow football at all but I thought the game in the snow was kinda neat when I saw clips of it on tv.  However, i did think "keep that snow there, don't send it here!"  because the weathercasters have been telling us for days that we were going to get very cold temps and some forms of frozen precip, and I kept hoping they would be at least a little bit wrong.  But of course they were right and it is COLD and snowy...but it ain't cool  !   :lol

Kathy ground was starting to get pretty white in this part of MO too.  We are in a rural area so estate and tag sales were not really an option for us.  We were amazed when checking into auctioneers.  We checked with some that were referred to us that back when they used them a few years ago were exactly what we are looking for now.  Some have gone out of business and most that are left only do online, are very selective about what they will sell, and you have to haul it to them.  Many made us feel like we bothered them just calling.  Now we cant get hold of the one that responded a couple of months ago and seemed eager for business.  Kind of wonder if he was a little sketchy as after all the others he seemed to good to be true.  Then we couldnt find much out there about him and his auctions to try to attend one.  

Ok Brenda, there are no undefeated teams left in the NFL.

Sorry for the cold and the snow so early.  It looks cool on the TV, but I know it is not.  Please be careful if you go out today.

It is in the 80's right now, but we will be getting into the 60's tonight.  Cold for us, but warm for you all.

Have a fun day.

18 hours ago, bgs said:

Kathy ground was starting to get pretty white in this part of MO too.  We are in a rural area so estate and tag sales were not really an option for us.  We were amazed when checking into auctioneers.  We checked with some that were referred to us that back when they used them a few years ago were exactly what we are looking for now.  Some have gone out of business and most that are left only do online, are very selective about what they will sell, and you have to haul it to them.  Many made us feel like we bothered them just calling.  Now we cant get hold of the one that responded a couple of months ago and seemed eager for business.  Kind of wonder if he was a little sketchy as after all the others he seemed to good to be true.  Then we couldnt find much out there about him and his auctions to try to attend one.  

Brenda I am sorry to hear  about that bad weather. I know you sure do not need snow & ice right now. 

You mentioned something about a auction guy that you can not get hold of.  Is that the same guy that you thought he got a "special place in Haven"?. That one who went to search for sewing patterns to dumpster for some old lady who moved to Florida?. I  just thought that could be same guy, he was just too good to be real LOL.

I know many of those auctioneers, even the estate sales they will move all that stuff to a different location/area if is required. And that could be for different reasons.. requested by that owner. BUT, those auctioneers need to make profit doing all of that.  That is: moving that stuff, preparing for that auction -pictures taken for advertizing and advertizing cost, everything cleaned & marked and on.... Without  good advertizing no auction or estate sales can be ever successfully done.  So, on the end all depends  on what kind of items are included in that sale??. I have a friend in Arizona he is working for people who are doing those Estate sales. There was incident that they had to move ALL those items to different location, just because that person who died left  some instructions/wish-list. One of them was:  Everything needs to be sold on Estate sale.  BUT, NOT in that house/her home. That needs to be moved before sale to different location. And they did all of that, everything according to her instructions.

We got very bad weather since Sunday night. Very cold & few inches of snow :(. And now it is just getting worse. This morning was only 8 degrees & -8 with wind chill.  Right now is about 20 degrees. According to weather forecast it will get worse... They are preparing for more shelters and other places to help people.  As for me all I am praying it is for electricity not to go off, that would mean NO heat! :(. That heating unit operates on gas, but without electricity that  fan what blows that hot air out will not work. 

I hope your weather will get better so you can finish everything and finally be able to move in to your new home :).

Krys

picture Lyn jumping up and down,its snowing ITS SNOWING

earliest in Nov. since we've been here

8 minutes ago, pineknott said:

picture Lyn jumping up and down,its snowing ITS SNOWING

earliest in Nov. since we've been here

:rofl:rofl:rofl  Now that is funny.  That would be me, especially since we do not have to go out.

We are getting rain right now.

Hello everyone.

Not much happening here today, work and quick stop at home depot. Now I'm home and hoping to do some sewing.

Have a great night.

wow bgs, nice digs~!!  love your fireplace too, is it electric, i love ours, it is electric and we have a remote for both pic and flame oh and heat if so desired my mom always complained of the soot mess on the two wood burning ones    but upstairs my dad had put in a shoot in the bottom of that fireplace, that you just swept in the soot, and closed it back up it fell 2 floors to  a door in the first garage, and you opened it with buckets or i dunno something to catch it and clean it out, i only remember us doing that once all the time i was there lol and i think the other one you had to manually sweep out but it was not used  as much as the living room one was    

weather has been cold and sometimes a flurry or two but maybe just for a couple more days, then we are to get back to more seasonable temps and weather 

well i am excited for you bgs, have fun and enjoy you neat new digs!! oh i gotta go getting dark out already, losing my light  more tomorrow all take care  

Krys the guy we can not get hold of now is NOT the same guy that I said should get a special place in heaven.  We check in with him each week.  Things just don't sell like they used to so its no longer profitable for auctioneers to operate the way they used to.  Its cheaper and easier for them to do online. I just had not realized how much it had changed. Hope you did not lose your electricity.  

Lyn and Mary Jo I do like watching snow fall----up to a point.  It is pretty if:  1) you do not have to drive in it,  2) you do not have to shovel it, and 3) your electricity does not go out.  I used to get so sick to my stomach from nerves driving in it.  Then a few years back we had some record  snow falls that took the both of us two hard days of shoveling to get out.  (After the first one I said I did not want to live long enough to ever see that much snow again but did.) Even though its been 17 years ago I remember the week we were without electricity like it was yesterday.  Made me realize how much I really like and appreciate electricity.  

Katy the fireplace is gas and you turn it on by flipping a switch in the wall.  

good morning

sunny but very cold,snow is but a memory

OK we are down to 59  get that 59 degrees. We may get up to 68.  This is to quick a change from 88 with humidity to 59 without.

I have sweats on and TampaGuy is under one of my afghans.

I am working on a pattern for a ornament.  Can't seem to find one I really like.  This one is made with ww, but I am using thread.  We shall see how it works out.

Yeah, I do remember the snow and shoveling out my car, because the plow went by.  I remember once, the guys on the plow stopped and helped me.  I still liked snow.  One thing with the snow, I use to go in early, and follow the plows on the main roads.  I lived so close to the office,  that when it came time for one of us to stay, it was always me who stayed.  That was ok, cause the snow was always packed down, by the time I got to leave and very few people were on the road.

Well, off to see what is going on in the world.

16 hours ago, bgs said:

Krys the guy we can not get hold of now is NOT the same guy that I said should get a special place in heaven.  We check in with him each week.  Things just don't sell like they used to so its no longer profitable for auctioneers to operate the way they used to.  Its cheaper and easier for them to do online. I just had not realized how much it had changed. Hope you did not lose your electricity.  

Brenda that is good that you still got that "good" guy and talking to him. He will help you. 

I do agree that all those auctioneers & other businesses they do have another outlet to do their business  with that new technology.  I do know that many of them are doing those estate sales & auctions life (the old way). My friend in from Arizona is still working  in Estate sales and they are very busy. O do they would not want to preform Estate sale IF they know they will not make their minimum amount of money on it.  If I am not mistaken that is  $5,000.00.  It is a lot easier for them if they have a full contents of that house to sell or auction of a business what maybe went thru bankruptcy from same place (no moving). Unless someone request that, than they need to pay extra for that. The way that works  when it comes to house contains they can stage beautifully (professionally) all those items in that house with all furniture there to take beautiful pictures.  All their old costumers are notified plus they advetizing to get new wants. The day & time is set for that auction or Estate sale all  those costumers will show-up (if they do not show-up, they will miss that) .  Usually they are done in couple or few hours later with those auctions, than they get their money and they are done. Those costumers need to take all those items they bought with them on  same day right after all sales are  done. And everything is done/over.  BEFORE that Auction or Estate sale starts those costumers usually requested to "deposit"  sortlney amount of money to that auctioneer. That is just to make sure they know that IF they agree to buy something or bid on an item they must be serious! , NO backing off or they will keep their deposit money!.  Why would anyone want to move all that stuff (they would probably need to rent a storage places for all of that) Auction on Line and than waiting for all those people to be coming at different days & time to pick that stuff up?.. Maybe some of them they would need to pack & ship, not everything can be shipped or would cost too much to ship.

Big portion of those people who are preforming auctions on line.. They are those who are buying all that stuff on garage sales or live auctions and estate sales. Friend of my friend dos exactly that. Thru my friend I did met her wants in front of her home. She had her own garage sale at that time. OMG! I really would not know what to do with all that junk..?. But, according to my friend she is selling a lot of that on E-Bay! :). Those are auctions & regular sales and who knows what else she dos...??. And she is always busy attending every garage sale that she will know of...! :).

Last Sunday I stock-up on can food, a lot of that. :).  Two dozen of cans I had to put in my basement. It would not fit in my kitchen pantry (I put many cans their too, can vegetables, bottled fruit juices, dry fruits, cereal, powder milk, couple cases of drinking water + few gallons of water and  other stuff..). I got skierd because of that bad weather coming here.  Sometimes you can see on TV  some places with huge snow storm's that all roads are close for couple weeks or more and power is off for weeks...  I fill-up my car tank full of gas, I always heard that is good.  I got my gas fireplace that would keep me warm, hopefully. That fireplace can warm-up pretty good that family room (only one room). All those bricks around & up are hot when is on so that is good. I got many candles & flash lights at home :).

This coming weekend weather should get warmer here up to 40 degrees.

Krys