katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2019 new thread

You all sound like you're keeping busy. It was work and grocery shopping today. I didn't sleep the best last night and I am really tired now so I won't be doing much else tonight. Hope you all have a wonderful night.

Katy a worker honey bee can only sting once.  The stinger is barbed so it disembowels them and they die.  The venom sac will still be attached to the stinger so when you get stung if you press and poke around you are injecting yourself with more venom.  Best thing to do is grab something stiff like your hive tool or a credit card and do a quick swipe across the sting site to remove the stinger.  When stung you are marked with a phermone so others will hone in on that and sting to protect the hive.  There are different strains of bees with different characteristics and temperament.  The Italian ones at least ours were least aggressive.  ( The African ones very aggressive to deadly but in parts of the world they work them for honey)  For the most part they were most docile when there was a honey flow or when swarming.  Thats why you see people doing bee beards. Now you will get stung if you accidentally mash one or if they were to get tangled in your hair. Dh got to the point where he could listen and tell if a hive was happy or if there was a problem (eg lost their queen).  If they were happy he could open them up with less protective gear on and without his smoker.  Queens can sting mutiple times but there is generally only one per hive and hardly ever outside a hive.  A queen would be outside the hive when its time to take her mating flight or if she leaves with a swarm.  Generally when queens sting its a newly emerged queen and she stings queen cells to kill off the others before they emerge.  Then there are the drones, the males.  They are the pudgy bees with a round bottom (no stinger) and big eyes.  Their only purpose in life is to mate with a queen.  Then they die.  In the fall the ones that are left are thrown out of the hive.  Free meals over.

Problems started when varroa and tracheal mites accidentally made it in to the country from another part of the world.  They rapidly multiply and chew and suck on bees weakeningly them so they are susceptible to virus, bacteria and fungi.  Of course insecticides are meant to kill insects and bees are insects so they go to work looking for chemicals and dosages to kill the mites and not the bees.  You cant control where bees forage and they will go 5 miles if need be.  They are smart in that they work the flowers that nearest and best quality.  If there is nothing they will be all over hummingbird feeders.  Any agricultural change they make can potentially affect the bees.  Some research is showing that an insectide used to coat corn seed migrates thru the soil and is taken up by other plants like dandelions.  Bees love dandelions.  Lots of issues with companies wanting to sell chemicals and not disclosing things.  Then there is the decreasing lack of biodiversity---- acres and acres of the same plant like corn and soybeans instead of smaller plots with weeds and adjacent plants.  Then the small hive beetle showed up and when they take over a hive they slime it.  

Edited by bgs

God evening!

Still been fighting migraines here. So I have limited my internet time. Just been resting and staying in a dark room.

Very interesting about the bees.

Oh Sandra I do hope you feel better soon.  Migraines can be brutle.

I have been bitten a couple of times and both times were with wasp.  Once I was cutting lilacs for my table and another I stepped on one.  

Brenda, shock and surprise the Browns beat the Jets.  Of course the Jets are down to their 3rd string QB.  No body picked the Browns to win.

Another beautiful day in the neighborhood.  We will be in the 90's today, but there is a cold front :rofl, sorry can't help laughing, coming in.

So let me get this straight ratdog.  You see a Dr. everyday. :rofl Sorry, but my humor is very strange today.  That is so cool.

Well, off to see what kind of trouble I can get into.

Have a fun day.

Quick check in.  Busy packing things to take with us Thurs.

Mary Jo at least the Dr. Ratdog sees daily is making house calls.:rofl

Bgs

wow,thanks for all that info,that was interesting to read,some I knew and some I didn't

Lea prayers for his safety

OMG That is unbelievable.  I will keep you all in thoughts and prayers.  

Oh my goodness, Lea! Praying for his safety!

Not lots happening here to talk about. Just normal life. My 9th grader is out of school for a few days with an ear infection. I'm hoping that on Friday we can go dress shopping for her first Homecoming. She'll be going with a bunch of her friends and is so excited!

hi all, 

in, glad you checked out mj with the doc  is your pain still bad with the surgery??Do you still have the stitches..

then the humidity will return lol  for now it seems pleasant, albeit cloudy well another overcast day, some rain expected some time today, off and on, hit or miss, maybe, maybe not lol     

I guess i will find something to do soon its gonna be one of those days lol keeping busy is the best for curing boredom spells lol   later all, keep well   

Spent yesterday putting together a load to haul off today---pavers to niece, glass to recycling, things for the thrift store, and a stop at insurance company as their e signiture thing got you far enough to sign but no apparent way to submit. It wasnt just us because we gave it to the lady in the office to look at.   So we did it the old fashion way.  

Yesterday I also got things ready to load to take to the new place tomorrow.  That was hard work because I pulled chairs, chaise lounger and a cot (which I had to clean) from the attic and assorted things from all over the house like a radio, portable table, a couple of pans, toiletries, toilet paper, paper towels, bath towels, canned soup, diet coke, tea, coffee and pot----just anything we would want or need if we wanted to spend the night.  I want to try out the stove, washer, and dryer in the mext few days anyway.  At least there we have all kinds of eating options on campus with our dining credit and lots of other places nearby.   Then we are real close to Target.  Compared to here everything is close.  

I hope your move goes well, Brenda!  x

On 9/16/2019 at 4:38 PM, minwifeof4boys said:

Daphene...LOVE all the crochet!!

Oh thank you so much! I do love to crochet cute little things. LOL 

On 9/16/2019 at 3:09 PM, katyallen8090 said:

ive never been afraid of bees, but then i have never been stung by one either  now wasps, and hornets and those kinds of things i stay away from  

I love bees especially honey and wood borer bees. Wood borer bees are so sweet. Of course Mr Tribble is very allergic has an epi pen and all so we try and keep all the bees away. LOL.

On 9/17/2019 at 12:49 PM, minwifeof4boys said:

So, if any of you woke up and thought you were having a bad day!!! How would you like to wake up and find out your son had a hit on him???? I am a nervous wreck..

https://www.wral.com/granville-county-sheriff-indicted-urged-a-man-to-kill-a-deputy/18639414/

Oh now, that is horrible! I can't imagine. Mr Tribble had that happen to him when he was still working as a police officer. There was reward and all. So scary.

I had to make a dr's appointment today. About 2 weeks ago  I felt like I was getting a urinary tract infection and I really don't like taking antibiotics (they mess me up badly) so I decided to just try to flush everything out so made sure I was drinking at least a gallon of water every day, with my usual salt and apple cider vinegar in it. But it didn't get better and I started running a fever on Saturday and still was trying to flush the infection from my system. It got worse yesterday and my kidneys started hurting so I made an appointment. Now I have to take antibiotics for 10 days. Yuck.... Hopefully this fixes the problem. When I was young I used to get UTIs a couple times a month, it's gotten a bit better as an adult but still once or twice a year I end up with one. I couldn't even take bubble baths when I was little.

Working on some Hocus Pocus Appliques for myself and for my DD (in law) as well as the BOOK (hocus pocus) binder cover. I have to make a trip and get more buff RRSS yarn. LOL. I never seem to not run out in the middle of a project.

Have a great night all!!

• Like 1

Daphe I do hope you get better soon.  I have to say I never got an infection like that.

Up early and I don't why.  Yesterday when I had to get up early, I did not want to. 

Today is a day off, as no appointments and no where to go.

Good Morning to everyone and Have a great day.

• Like 1

Watching the weather.  Hope all our friends in Texas are ok.

Daphne sorry about infections.  I have been lucky in that regard in only having one uti and was in my 50's.  Love hearing and seeing all your Halloween preparations.  Halloween is my favorite holiday.

I got up early to load suv as it was still too hot for somethings to stay in the heat for me to load it yesterday evening.  Dh was amazed I got it all fitted in there and still see out the back and sides.  Guess I inherited that ability from my dad.  Well off to shower and head out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bgs said:

I got up early to load suv as it was still too hot for somethings to stay in the heat for me to load it yesterday evening.  Dh was amazed I got it all fitted in there and still see out the back and sides.  Guess I inherited that ability from my dad.  Well off to shower and head out.

Hi Brenda,

I assume today is the day that you are going with all that stuff to your new home :).

That is great, finally you are going to start moving in! :)

Be careful do not overwork your self!

Krys

14 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Daphe I do hope you get better soon.  I have to say I never got an infection like that.

Up early and I don't why.  Yesterday when I had to get up early, I did not want to. 

Today is a day off, as no appointments and no where to go.

Good Morning to everyone and Have a great day.

Thank you, Mary Jo. They are no fun. It's been a lot better in my adult years but I still get one like once a year. 

11 hours ago, bgs said:

Daphne sorry about infections.  I have been lucky in that regard in only having one uti and was in my 50's.  Love hearing and seeing all your Halloween preparations.  Halloween is my favorite holiday.

Thanks bgs. UTIs suck, lol. Halloween is our favorite as well! DH is the packer here and good at getting a lot of stuff in a small amount of room. 

Not a lot going on today, I'm off work this weekend but I need to mow and clean the dog pen. Have a good night all!

What a long day.  We just got back and I am tired-----shakey tired.  Got keys to new place about noon.  Then went and registered suv and car, got our JKV stickers, and stopped at the grill nearest our place for lunch.  They only do lunch there.  Then over to the new place and unloaded suv.  Unpacked things for bathroom and kitchen.  Had three maintenance guys by to take care of some little things.  Next thing we knew it was time for rush hour traffic so we decided to check out the stove.  Dh made his tea and we opened a couple cans of soup.  Glad I packed the portable table and chairs. 

Finally had time to look at mail and dh's pension is straightened out at last!  

Hope our TX friends are doing ok.  Saw the flooding on the news.

9 hours ago, bgs said:

Finally had time to look at mail and dh's pension is straightened out at last!  

Hope our TX friends are doing ok.  Saw the flooding on the news.

Brenda I am glad your husband pension got straightened finally! :)

Krys

You need to read that..,

OMG! Some people are just shameless!!.  That made me sick to my stomach.  And those people just do not give a damn IF they steel someone else design/work and planning to profit on it!!.
WHAT is wrong with this word..?? I came across that post on FB yesterday evening. There were many people complimenting on "her" great idea on that "Deer Blanket" -- for kids. And about couple dozens more were  waiting for her to "write that pattern" for that 3 days FREE PROMO as she called!. Obviously after those 3 promo days it would be a paid pattern.
She was writing a pattern for that blanket???. NOTING TO WRITE WAS NEEDED! LOL. She just skipped that hood on that blanket and attached that Deer face & Antlers   to the side of that blanket. EVERYTHING ELSE WAS THE SAME AS the one from MARY MAXIM "Hooded Dear Blanket" - Kit is being sold right now for: $49.99

There is a HUGE difference if someone can crochet something from picture (not needing to buy that pattern) for family or a friend as a gift.  NOT FOR PROFIT! and do NOT tell people you design that if you didn't!. Do not take a credit for someone else work!.
I think that person bought that Kit "Hooded Deer Blanket" from Mary Maxim, because is exactly the same even the face & Antlers. And by just LOOSING THAT HOOD she was trying to profit on that design!!

I will post both pictures here. First it will be that picture from Mary Maxim. Second picture will be that picture of that 'Deer Blanket" From that Thief!

UPDATE: that person-that THIEF  got kicked out from FB & her post got deleted somewhere between last night and this morning. Her post and she is NO LONGER on that FB page. I think  I "rained on her parade" yesterday evening.  I  posted that link (in her post) to that pattern from Mary Maxim and told those people: Here is your pattern you are waiting for to be "writing" by that "DESIGNER" who post that.  That pattern been READY for long time! LOL

Administration must seen that and she got "kicked out" with "her's  Deer Blanket Idea" LOL.
Who knows?, she might still try to sell that Mary Maxim pattern on Etsy or different places...??. Those thef's  do not give up that fast & easy.

Have a Nice Weekend! and keep away from Crooks! LOL 
Krys 

That was posted yesterday (9/19/2019 on Face Book in her own words.

Ariana XXXXXXXXX
 Visual Storyteller    (SOME STORYTELLER LOL)

Hello fellow crocheters👋😊

This is my latest crochet pattern, what do you think?💕

I'll be writing the pattern this week and it will be published free as a promo for 3 days❤🎉

I hope you all get to have a copy and make a great Christmas gift with it for your loved ones.

Hooded Deer Blanket Mary Maxim original.jpg

DEER Blanket copied from Mary Maxim Deer Hooded Blanket.jpg