katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2019 new thread

Love the bench Brenda, might be time to invest in one of the solar generators that at least let you charge cell phones/laptop and a couple lights... I think ours was some where around a couple hundred bucks...no nasty fumes , you can also charge it by a wall charger... lasts 4 hours I believe...

So is ratdog the one I need to worry about ? Is she closest right now to the projected path? Of course I know I can add to the worry if it shifts across the state and add MJ to the list..I am the BEST worrier, just ask my kids.

The Princess has teacher work day at her day care tomorrow...so she will be here...bubbles, books, puzzles, sidewalk chalk, sprinkler,and the movie frozen along with a box of goldfish ....I'm ready.... So each day her mom sends me the report from her school..today they learned sign language... what the heck..she is 16 months old!  Times sure change....another of my grandsons goes to the same type of school but in a different part of the state..they are learning how many letters in their name, how to write, and about mozart and Divinci this week...he's 4 ..of course as much as these schools charge it was 4 times as much as my college education  per month! 

So I am late in the game but crocheted some of those snowglobes that were the hit of the internet last year... I'll have to buy buttons, but they work up quickly and are cute...I sat outside for a bit soaking in some fresh air before it got hot...it was so nice outside..

Listening to a book on tape about the 3 girls in Cleveland who were held for 10 years in a house ( another John Glatt book)...

ratdog, go with pancakes... i always went with pancakes when I had the boys and buddies around....fills em up quick...

1 hour ago, bgs said:

We have a camp stove but I didnt want to waste precious space storing it and fluid.  You know seems like I remember seeing a little set up using those cans of fluid they light to keep food warm.  Dont think we bought it because we have a camp stove.  

This place isnt what I picture when you say "senior center".  Its its own community.

https://www.jkv.org/kansas-city-retirement-community/

Brenda  I knew it was not a Senior Center, I just did not knew what I should call that?. What I was trying to say that there are big differences between places like that. Some are better than others. Some are run for profit others are not,  like yours ( I remember you mention, that place is not run for profit). Some have better management than others and on...That goes for retirement- community & for nursing homes, senior center and on..

Even if you would not have generator I am sure they will have kitchen running there. You will be able to get some coffee or at least boiling water & use that instant coffee from a jar:). But, when you get a chance you should ask them about that.

I did not have time to click on that link now. I will do that later. I am sure it is a very nice place:).

I think we have something like here that about 30 min. from me.  I had seen "brochure" from them at my neighbors house. I think that place is run for profit and  is very expensive. If I remember  right?, it was like that: Those people needed to buy that place (house or condo). There was a very high monthly fee, over $4,000.00 (that was over 5 years ago). They had to pay Estate Tax from that property, They had to pay extra for food in their dining room/restaurant. When they died that property goes to that managment. IF they run out of money most likely they would be out of there!!. I remember it said something like that: "in some cases we will keep that person for free". I did not think that is a good place! LOL

Krys

Lea I dont care about the phones, computer or lights.  I just want dh to get his coffee should we be iced in for a bit.  I am thinking we probably need to be worrying about cshort, ratdog, and MJ.   I once asked my sister if my niece wasnt worried about......  Sis said no she has an aunt that worries more than enough for all of us.  Please show us your snowglobes.  And now I want pancakes.

Mary Jo so far highlight of tonights game is the old footage of a very young Andy back when he was with Green Bay.  

Krys I used to think this place was the most expensive one out there but when we started checking them out I learned it really wasnt. So far every one we have met there residents and employees have been very friendly.  Sort of feels like a big family looking out for one another. 

No, hurricanes are not funny.  I was laughing at the press and the stupid questions they were asking.  Our Governor grew up on the East Coast of Florida, so I think he knows what to do in the case of a hurricane.

Looks like Monday night to Tuesday morning to hit Florida.  That is not good, that it is slowing down.  Still not sure if it will come across the state the Gulf or up the middle of the state.  We shall have to wait and see.

Oh Brenda, we learned the last time we had a hurricane.  We will not go without coffee. I bought a percolator, a camp stove and a single burner stove.  That along with gas and other hurricane things are safely stored in a waterproof container in the garage.  So you do not want to be around me without coffee.

So how is the rest of the world doing?

Hoping to finish the last gnome and start my penguins today.

Just finished cleaning the kitchen/family room.  Tired and worn out.  Still have to make breakfast.  In a little while.

Have a fun day. 

The waiting is the hardest. Now it looks like the storm will impact us from Sunday night through tuesday.

The path puts it heading north over land up the middle of the state after landfall. Cat 1 by the time it gets to orlando. We are 90 miles north so we will get lots of rain and wind.

We have been through Charlie (the worst), Frances, Matthew, irma, and Michael. I think we will get through one more.

And, I agree with MJ, coffee prep is the most important issue!

Yeah I just saw a report.  They have not taken out, that it could go across the state and up to the panhandle.  Ratdog is the one who will get hit with the storm the most.  We have 2 scenarios.  If it goes up the state, we will only get rain.  If it comes over to the Gulf, then it will be wind and rain.  We are watching.

Love the place you are moving to Brenda.  It really looks nice.

I dont drink coffee at all and I drink my diet pop at room temperature most of the time. However because dh is horrible to be around without it we have backups and backups for backups like at least two stove top percolators that we had on hand always ready to use when the electric ones would quit.  After the last electric one quit dh just kept using a stove top one because hopefully the stove wouldnt quit but if it did we have at least one hot plate. He has a little drip pot he used at work and on trips. Then we have a little electric hot pot good for heating water for instant coffee tea and cup of soup mixes.   Also keep a jar of instant coffee on hand. Then we have a camp stove and lantern that uses the fluid, 3 oil lamps ,wicks , oil and, all kinds of candles flash lights and batteries.  Here we have the wood stove and plenty of wood and also have two Webber grills and charcoal.  Dh lights the lantern and camp stove annually to make sure they still work correctly.  We could pull water from the pond for flushing the toilet.  We have a chamber pot, and one of those plastic deals that fits on the toilet so you can take it out and empty it.   My favorite food group is peanut butter and I probably never have any less than 5 jars on hand plus all sorts of crackers and bread.  Unfortunately dh says he doesnt like it so I have canned chicken, soups, and Ravioli.    22 years ago I learned Ravioli was pretty darn good straight from the can after spending the day hiking up a mountain in CO.  If only I had stuck the cans up on the dash where they would have gotten a little solar heat. I also keep some of those little individual packs of chicken salad and crackers on hand along with granola and protein bars.  I have bottled water, gatorade, gingerale, diet pop, packets of koolaid type powders to add to water and if times get too bad there are a few bottles of wine.  I also have several 3 liter pop bottles of water on hand as out here water company is out quarterly to flush the lines and I never know when I wont have water because of that.  I always make sure to run the washer early in the day because of that.  Space is pretty limited at the new place and camp stoves of any kind would not be allowed to be used or even stored in the apartments.  Their rule book also discourages you from keeping chemicals and flammables in the units with garages but does not outright forbid it. 

We had rain and thunderstorms all night with alerts out for flash flooding.  Its supposed to do that here all weekend.  

Hey Everyone I have been donation hats to a radiologist place where my Mother has to go to have radiation  treatments  on her eye.  I would like to know. Would this color be to bright for a woman's hat.  Or wound it look OK. Please let me know. I will go ahead and make one or two out of it.. This will be my 4th hat that I have made. I will show you a picture of the I made yesterday. My Mother is doing good. The DR Says, that He believes he has caught it in time. That she will be cancer free for 15 yrs. And she is 87 yrs old now. Here is my Mom.1343907686_MyBeautifulMom.thumb.jpg.d8af00ceba099d6b3fdd96b3a12bc002.jpg

853087678_BlackandNeongreenhat.thumb.jpeg.06d041b7c590cd83a9650066303e6362.jpeg 1125434429_colordulyarn.thumb.jpeg.a838d84e3ccc0cca878ed734caf70c91.jpeg

Arlene lovely photo of your mom.  Glad she is doing well.  Everyone likes different colors and I am sure someone at the clinic would love a hat in bright cheerful colors.

hi ya arlene, your mom is precious, i am glad to hear she is going to be ok! the hats are really nice and that yarn im sure there will be several fighting over it lol  glad to hear mj, that all is well!!and that the rest of our people in fla, are doing the necessary things to stay safe  too 

and i agree bgs, give it a while till if or when you get another pet  i moved in here with 5 cats ans a dog and it really went well, i brought them over teo at a time, first the doggie, then the two girl kitties, the a couple of boys at a tine lol  it worked out i guess as far as i can remember lol  that was 12 years ago, wow doesnt seem that long lol  

well we all will be watching the progress of Dorian too, and wish you all good luck and stay safe throughout its rampage through fla and perhaps beyond   love to all  

Good Morning.

Sorry I've been missing again but things have been busy. Work, doctor appointments, babysitting my granddaughter and hurricane prep. I am still in the hurricane cone but the scenario is looking a little better at this time. I hope everyone who is in the possible path of the storm are preparing and please be careful. I hope everyone is doing well.

Glad to see everyone check in from the storms. Hoping things continue to go well. Good luck everyone. 

Glad to hear that they caught it in time, snowbear. And the multicolored yarn is gorgeous.neon is my favorite color.

We are up early this morning as my check finally cleared so we can try and get a campsite for Saturday and Sunday. The online ones were sold out so Mr Dribble left about 45 minutes ago to see if one was still available for walk ins. Camp store opened at 9. 

Well I'm going to go get dressed and brew some coffee, have a great day, all.

Arlene beautiful picture of your Mom.  Glad to here all is going well.

Daphne I do hope you get a campsite for the weekend.

We are ok over here, but still worried about our friends on the East Coast.  They are still saying it is a small storm, but very powerful.  Yesterday they kept showing the one plane of hurricane hunters.  They were all women.  It is so cool to see that.  They are out of Lakeland, Florida.

Sun is out a few clouds, but watching and praying for our friends on the other side.

• Like 1

Mary Jo I saw an article about the all female crew.

Are we getting major hurricanes more frequently or am I just noticing it more because now I know those of you that could be in their path.  I know what they used to call 100 year floods around here have been happening like 3 times in 10 years.  Same with record snowfalls.  

This morning we loaded up with plants, canning jars and rock and headed to my sisters house.  Brought my niece my huge piece of milky quartz which has lots of the little clear crystal points in it.  Its a two man lift job and you need a dolly if you move it far.  We brought it back from a quartz mine in AR.  I kept telling dh I wanted this piece and was very lucky someone else loaned us their dolly to get it up to the suv in the parking area.  Told dh I wanted it to cover what we paid in entrance fees.  A lot of people are just looking for nice formed crystals and leave nice chunks of quartz at the wash station.  After so long they bulldoze it off down the hill.  I stood at the edge looking down mesmerized by all those beautiful chunks of milky quartz.  

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 8:40 AM, Tampa Doll said:

No, hurricanes are not funny.  I was laughing at the press and the stupid questions they were asking.  Our Governor grew up on the East Coast of Florida, so I think he knows what to do in the case of a hurricane.

Oh, I didn't mean that you were saying hurricanes were funny! I was just saying that I got a good laugh out of that too, the way you put it, because the things they say on TV are indeed funny in a ludicrous way.

Looks like Dorian may be headed my way now. :2rain

Oh Donna not again.  Thats the bad thing.  I sigh in relief that it will miss so and so but then it means someone else is in line so worry about them.  

• Like 1

No I didn't mean you thought I was wrong.  I was agreeing with you Donna.

Well, we can give a big sigh of relief over here, but part of the East Coast of Florida, Georgia, NC and SC are in the path.  Of course, if the high keeps pushing, they are saying there is a chance no one will get hit.  I am sure Cape Hatteras is watching very closely.  Yeah, if one gets spared another gets hit.  I am watching and praying for everyone in the path.

You know, I have found that when I watch the news, if I don't laugh, I will start screaming.  I don't watch it that much anymore, but when I do, I have a habit of finding something funny.

Just think Tomorrow is September 1st already.  Wow is this year flying by.

I have finished my gnomes and soon to post pictures.  Now I am on to penguins.  Wow Fun.

Time to shut down for the night.

Have a great night everyone see you all in the morning.

Ratdog, Donna and cshort, take care and be careful.

• Like 1

Storm seems to be moving more to the East. We should be ok if the track stays where it is but no gurantees with hurricanes.

One son home, second on his way. No idea when the other "sons" will arrive. Asked Fr. Pat before mass to pray for me having the boys and friends arriving! 

At least if the roof falls on me I will have five or six handsome young men to lift it off!

I have been getting storm updates all day I am far enough inland that I should be okay from the horrible...although it has been known to happen..we got slammed with Fran...we are prepared though...

Donna.. cshort and ratdog . batten down those hatches! 

The thing we DO get is intercoastal flooding here, youngest ds & wife just bought a home in Goldsboro NC and it always floods there...I imagine if they have to evacuate they will go to the gym they own because its in an old fire station and has two floors ..

We got up this a.m. and went to a little town in NC called Hillsborough... cute place about an hour away, Did the riverwalk for a couple hours and then ate at a wonderful pizzaria... burned the roof of my mouth on a fried ravioli....hot cheese!  Then we went back to the little shops in town to look around  but couldn't get through because of some large protest at the courthouse...so we turned around and went to a junk shop ( no other word for it) called " Everything  But Grannies Panties" in Durham ... Dh found a metal sign that had hung at wall Drug in SD. We were there 15 years ago on one of our trips and thought  it might be fun to hang in the kitchen as a remembrance..

Had a great time with the Princess yesterday...not as tired last night as I htought I would be..

Arlene, your mother looks lovely....

Praying none of us meets Dorian!

• Like 1

I don't know about the stomach flu but it took me over two weeks to get rid of the crap. I feel so much better now.

Wow did hear about the hurricane . I don't watch the news at also I never know what's going on unless daughters or hubby tells me or I read it from you all.

Stay safe everyone!! Check in often so we know you all are okay.

Good Morning from a confused south Florida. When I went to bed at 11 last night we were out of the storm cone, I woke up at 5 this morning to find us back in the cone and under a tropical storm watch :no. My oldest daughter lives almost 2 hours north of me is under a tropical storm warning, I had planned to go spend the long holiday weekend there but the storm changed my plans. I'm more concerned for her this time because she is 9 months pregnant and due in 3 days. Well I am planning to go to church this morning and then come home and wait to see what happens.

If you are any where near the path of this storm please be careful, it looks like a monster.

I'll try to check back in later to give you an update. Have a good day.

Like Carol, I went to bed and they were saying it will be moving East, I wake up this morning and they have it hitting Melbourne.  Just proves they can not really predict the path.  They are very scary.  I remember on who came on land in the East, came across the state into the Gulf, then made a U-turn and went back across the state to the Atlantic.  Just proves you never know.

Wow Sept 1st.  Another month done, can't wait to see what this month has in store.

Well, off to get ready for the day.

Have a fun day.

good morning

Floridians,stay safe