katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2019 new thread

good evening

wow,fountain pens,I liked it better when the cartridges came out for those,and not having to fill the bladder from an ink bottle,hmm I sound ancient

on another site it made me sad when one lady said her grandson said don't write like that cause I can't read it

technology and digital things,Rene' has a hard time with time,if you say 20 till 11,she learned it as 10:40,she started learning to tell time right when digital watches came out

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Good Morning.

Love the mouse ears Ratdog.  Just adorable.

I am going to get on my soap box and sorry if I upset teachers.  I saw on the news that one school (only one in the state), got some equipment. from Apple.  They are going to start teaching students about code and such.  They will be teaching them how to code drones and robots.  This will be from 6th grade up.  Oh yeah, they have some things for kindergartners also.  These are the same kids who can not make change, unless the cash register tells them how much to give back.  These are the same kids that are not learning cursive writing anymore.  I am all for progress, but how about teaching some basics first?  Sorry, I just do not understand what is going on.  Heaven help us, if we lose electricity, these kids will be lost.  End of soap box.

Sun is shinning, after what looks like a very rainy night.  Eveything is wet.  The windows are steaming up, so I am sure it is very hot out there.

Have a fun day.

Some schools are still teaching cursive because Little Tribble was learning some in 3rd grade. I'm not sure how in depth they went because when writing a note he still prints. I think the electronics and robotics are awesome but do think that they should be reserved for the students that excel at that age. Little tribble can make change out of cash without a calculator etc, better than  i can, but math and money always was my weakest subject. I'm still counting in my head how much change he should get back from a 50 when he is purchasing things and he's rattling off what I should give him. He's very aware how much money he has and how much he should be getting back when he buys things. That child amazes me. 

It was pretty out today, but I slept all of it. Ate horrible today as Mr Tribble was craving doughnuts. Then ordered pizza for supper - I feel like crap. Been doing the Ketogenic diet since February.  

Owlvamp, such adorable pot holders!

1 hour ago, pineknott said:

good evening

wow,fountain pens,I liked it better when the cartridges came out for those,and not having to fill the bladder from an ink bottle,hmm I sound ancient

on another site it made me sad when one lady said her grandson said don't write like that cause I can't read it

technology and digital things,Rene' has a hard time with time,if you say 20 till 11,she learned it as 10:40,she started learning to tell time right when digital watches came out

I love fountain pens, they still sell the ones with the cartridges and some of them can be converted to the bladder. I love fountain pens but only have one and it really needs cleaned and I have no cartridges to put in it... lol

Have a good night all.

• Like 1

Donna granted me the option of once again seeing signatures!  I sure love she is back.

Yes Katy that is why we are encouraging show and tell.  I have also started inviting new members to share their projects in show and tell and inviting them to join the cal's when they introduce themselves.  This is something members can do to help save and revitalize Crochetville which is something I want very much.  I am guilty of only posting photos here and had never posted under show and tell.  I was self concious and never felt my work was show and tell worthy but if it might help save Crochetville I'll do it. 

Lea Grams looks wonderful.  Love the photo with her holding the baby.  Is that Gram's grand, great or great great?

Mary Jo I will be interested to hear how you like the granite stone diamond pans.  And its back! 🏈:cheerSaw an interview with our punter.  When kids ask for his autograph or photo he tells them they have to autograph his hat first.  He said he did this with a group of special needs kids a few years ago and now does it with all kids.  It makes the kids feel special that a football player wants their autograph.

Rep from moving company came out today.  I had a list of all the big stuff we want moved ready for her and found out out about packing other stuff.  The place we are moving to will pay up to $1000 moving costs so we want to use it and get the most bang for our buck.  I want to pack things myself so I can sort out what isnt going as I pack.

13 minutes ago, bgs said:

Donna granted me the option of once again seeing signatures!  I sure love she is back.

Thank you, Brenda! ❤️ I'm not sure when the software started allowing admins the option to enable showing signatures on mobile. I'm seeing topics in the forum software support forum (lol that's a mouthful :lol ) asking for this feature as recently as 2018. So it must be a relatively new option.

Posted (edited)

Fountain pens! Love the look and feel but sadly I am a lefty and have terrible handwriting skills! 

So happy to get out of elementary school and no longer have handwriting as a grade on my report card.

Edited by ratdog

Wow fountain pens.  We use to use them and it never failed, my fingers were always blue.  I was glad to see the ones with the cartridges, but somehow they always broke and got over everything.

We have 3 High Schools here.  One Tarpon Springs is for those interested in Vet work.  Another Palm Harbor High is for anyone interested in the Medical field.  Finally we have East Lake, which is the best in the state for Robotics.  They are always winning competitions. Amazing, as we only went to the neighborhood High School.  We took a bus, but it was for our section of Camden.  I will now show my age.  When I was a Senior in 1968, they were just bringing in punch machines to teach about computers the following year.

School starts next week for the kids here.

Went to the store this morning to pick up a prescription and while I was there I picked up some things.  Boy was I worn out when I got home.  Their big thing this week is Lemons.  They have everything lemon, from cake to pies to cookies.

So Brenda do you have a date for the move?

Off to see what the rest of the world is doing.

Have fun. 

hi everyone  i decided if i  made much else besides my squares, i will post on show and tell, but i will continue to post here, while im here for the squares lol   

i really dont consider this thread much of a cal anymore, would be great to get back to that though, but i dont foresee much interest or enough members for that anymore unfortunately huh it sort of died a slow and painful death, much like mjs totes did earlier huh the only diff was mj made the call  cos  mj didn't find enough even for to make a monthly tote anymore so i guess thats the way things go huh  it is just something that died out by no ones choice really, just time passing i guess, and the high cost of postage too i think    

bgs im excited for you moving soon sheesh that is going to be great for you both  And once you get settled in the new place, you,will  wonder what took you so long lol  

Lea you are right, about the tech class you know not sooo long ago, my daughter was in kindergarten, and had computer class every day  that was astounding to me, as i dont think we even had one till she was in grade school lol  she is one of those tekki,s now, so go figure lol  

today would have been my older sis,s bday so i sang her happy bday this morning, i know she heard me    

well, as it goes ive nothing else to say, so ill see you another time ok  take care all    

Katy if you remember, everyone seemed to have enough squares, so we all just started to talk.  That was the fun of it for me anyway.  We can still send cards if we want, but not many want squares.  There is really no where else to just chat and tell what is going on in our lives.  I find it fun.  We can even rant here and everyone chimes in.

Brenda love the story about the punter.  That is really cool and I bet it takes the kids back some.

Get to see the Bucs tonight, preseason, but we shall see how our QB is.

Well off to get out the pills for tomorrow and get everything ready for tonight.

Have a good evening.

Mary Jo trying to get the steps timed right. Pulling money from 401K.  Need to close on this place.  Then close on that place.  Then its time for the movers.  I am going to have some things with us so I can  move some things in as soon as they give me the keys at closing like toilet paper, diet coke, towels, dish soap, some pans etc.   Movers would like 2 weeks notice.  Village wants 3 days notice for move in because they set up an appointment in afternoon day movers move your stuff in for people to come to activate outlets for tv, phone, computer, and emergency system.  They want 10 days notice if you are porting your phone number which we now know we cant.  Thats sort of good because I didnt want to be out here without my landline since our cells are in and out but means I have to learn a new number and I havent really committed my cell phone number of 10ish years to memory yet.   Right now I cant remember how much notice village wants to close but seems like it wasnt much.  Guess I should ask again.  Even after the movers move stuff up there I dont know which place we will wind up staying at for awhile as there will be a lot of stuff here to get packed up to go to auction.  The mover rep that was out gave us the name of someone that does buyouts so will check into that.  We can leave stuff behind but it would be nice to get money for things that are worth something and I really want to cleanout as much as I can.  

2 hours ago, katyallen8090 said:

i really dont consider this thread much of a cal anymore, would be great to get back to that though, but i dont foresee much interest or enough members for that anymore unfortunately

Since activity is picking up, there may be other members (returning old members, new members just joining the forum) who have interest and want squares. It will take some time to build up momentum, but that day may come and a different squares CAL could be started. I love that folks have become such great friends in this CAL and continue to check in.

Just popping in for a quick hello.

Good Morning.  Up at 6 this morning.  Could be because I crashed at 9.

Expected to be very hot today, looking at about 91 with very, very high Humidity.

Sun is coming up, so it is just starting to get light.

Be back later.

Good morning,

Meeting with financial advisor this morning then off to Orlando to see my son in a stage reading at a theatre conference.

He warned (his word) us that there were 8 10 minute readings and one full play and his is one of the 10 minute ones.

So we will drive an hour and a half each way to see my son read a few lines on stage. The things we do for our kids!

hi all oh i know mj, i wasn't  blaming anyone,it is  just how it goes, lol  and Donna, yes, i have thought of that as well  i like this just as much as a space to chat as you all do, and we  are not going anywhere, lol  we will be here if the need arises again but for now i like the chat i feel you are are like my extended family!! lol  

hot and humid here too, i swear if you go outside for even a minute, its sort  of like walking face first into a wet sponge lol 

i would think although ive never done the wet sponge thing in real life lol  Our black lab used to love the sprinkler though, she would attack the water coming out lol  Oreo was a water doggie lol  she swam her and daughter across the lake a couple of times, and was ready for more too lol  i never let daughter do that without Oreo beside her, and daughter hanging onto her harness  Oreo never let her or me down either    She was a good girl she came in between our shepard, Boo  and Ginger  and while we still had little minischnauser, Moses or bubba as he became known to us lol  moses was just so serious, for a fun loving energetic little guy like him lol    Our nighbor was moving and could not take him with, so we took him in and he lived a very happy life with first Boo, then Oreo, and a short time with my Ginger  He died of some sort of bladder infction when Ginger was younger 

ok , well life continues here, and things are good, so cant really  complain about a little humidity i guess you know  

everyone do take care, and ill see ya soon  

• Like 1

Hi I wanted share my flowers I made.WIN_20190721_12_32_09_Pro.jpg.5c47528b25df7f101f4da0ab0b8b579b.jpgWIN_20190721_12_32_23_Pro.jpg.19979915d9f96d40fdaa4632320ec417.jpg

WIN_20190721_12_32_09_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

Love the flowers Snowbear.  Started the day with 84 degrees, before the sun came up.  We are expecting temps in the 90's with high humidity.  Windows are foggy again.

Trying to move stuff to my new browser.  Computer did a upgrade and it will not support the old one with certain things.  Spent most of the morning moving stuff over.  Time to stop and do some crocheting.

It is the middle of August already.

Oh Brenda, the new pans are great so far.  I can cook on lower temp. I don't need oil or butter, but can be cooked with.  Last night we had BLT's for dinner, with a couple of fried tomatoes.  It was delicious and everything was cooked perfect.  Oh I do not usually have this, as the tomatoes have no taste here.  They are all hothouse, but they had some new ones in the store.  It was 3 tomatoes to a package and they were HUGE.  They were also red, really, really red.  They also had a delicious taste to them.  Almost like Jersey tomatoes.

Ratdog, how was your son in his play?

Well, off to my corner.  Have a fun day.

• Like 1

The flowers are lovely! TFS

The stage readings yesterday were very good and covered several topics. My son was in one that dealt with three brothers living in a tough situation after their mother abandons them and their father becomes abusive. My son said he loved the part.

Finally stoppped procrastinating and went to Lowes after church to by a new ceiling fan. DH and I have been sleeping without one all summer .... we are idiots!

Also went to joanns and bought a headband for another pair of mickey ears. These will be Wonder Woman themed

• Like 1

Ok, has anyone noticed that the emojis changed?  I was looking for the guy laying down and laughing?  He is not there anymore.  Now I have to learn new emojis all over again. (sigh) haven't found that one yet.  :sigh found him

:rofl Mary Jo you mean this one? For me it is 9 rows down and 4 over in what I call the Crochetville section emoticons.  Dh brought me home last night so I could watch the game.  Dont usually pay much attention to pre-season but this year we are excited to see where the season leads.  Even though he only played one drive (ending in a touchdown) I could see Maholmes has matured.  He had the presence of mind to not run on into the end zone like he easily could have and then get tackled but instead slid to the ground with the ball just shy of the end zone giving coach a thumbs up and grin when he got up.  Looked like two of our young rookies have great potential-one wide receiver and one running back and that was with 3rd and 4th string quarterbacks which werent looking too bad either.  I didnt get a good read yet on the new defense but it just has to be better than last year with the new defensive coach and new guys they brought in.  I think they are holding back showing the new defense until regular season.  

As busy as we had been this week yesterday we drove in to work on a severely overgrown and abandoned resting area that is part of the larger park where we meet for bonsai.  We worked hard in the heat and humidity from 8am until 12:30 pm and I "glistened" so much my clothes were drenched so glad I had a complete change of clothes with me.  We also had to hike a little way to get to it carrying shovels, rakes, and chainsaw. Luckily parks dept hauls off the debri.  I kind of question the wisdom of this project as our crew is made up of old people with breathing problems, bad knees, backs and arms.  I was the youngest at age 63 and we had one in her 80's. We dug out weeds, dug out little tree stumps, dug out bush stumps, dug down in ground so we could cut larger stumps off with chain saw below ground level, and prune trees with loppers and chain saw.  We even had to dig down to find the old edging for garden perimeter.  I told them when were leaving that I was moving in order to not be doing this kind of work anymore.  I was so tired and sore when I made it home to my chair just in time to watch football.  

Posted (edited)

Mary Jo, all the old emoticons are still there. You have to scroll down past the default ones to get to our old ones. I just scroll down really fast to get to the bottom of all the emoticons. Also, once you have used the ones you like, they will be at the top in "Recently Used."

At the bottom of all the "Emoji", our old emoticons:

Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 9.56.48 PM.png

At the top, "Recently Used":

Screen Shot 2019-08-11 at 9.57.34 PM.png

Edited by Donna

Still not needed at the preschool (only worked 2 days all summer).

Hopefully they will start needing me now that teachers are going back this week and students next week. We have several children at the preschool whose parents work o  the schools.

At work arou d the house early today. One load of laundry in the dryer and I cleaned out under the kitchen sink.

Got a bit worried when I saw rat droppings but then realized they were actually birdseed! My husband keeps the feeders in the backyard full and the squirrels love him for it!

19 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Ok, has anyone noticed that the emojis changed?  I was looking for the guy laying down and laughing?  He is not there anymore.  Now I have to learn new emojis all over again. (sigh) haven't found that one yet.  :sigh found him

Mary Jo if I am not mistaken that guy lying down should be there. Because in my post "Hello!" Donna just commented and that guy was there in her comment. 

Krys

Ratdog glad they were birdseed and not rat droppings.  When things get busier at work do they schedule you in or are you on call day to day?  

Donna I like that it has the recently used section.  I tend to use the same ones over and over.  Its sometimes a little tricky on mobile getting down to the old 'ville ones between fat fingers little screen and then the smaller screen within the screen but I was tickled when they became available on mobile.:clap

Well now to figure out what to tackle this week.  Today its laundry and scrubbing out the birdbath.  I had asked dh if the birdbath was icky and he said no..........  Might haul it up to my niece this week.  Need to pack up his Coast Guard boating safety pamplets and gear so he can turn them in tomorrow night.  

I am mostly scheduled ahead for work days at the preschool but there is always a chance of that 6:30am phone call.

Got a closet partially cleaned out amd our cabinet full of games sorted and organized. Ill be donating about half of them since the boys have outgrown them or have just lost interest over the years.

Maybe the Wonder Woman mickey ears will get done tomorrow

Brenda, I agree, the recently used section is very convenient. They have made some big strides in improving the mobile version.

I have a few like this guy :yes and this one :welcome that I have memorized the shortcut text for and I just type it in like this:

:yes
:welcome

Of course that is probably only convenient on desktop, not mobile.