katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2019 new thread

Good afternoon.  It is one very boring day.  I woke up at 4:30 this morning and had to come out to my recliner sofa.  My sinuses were making ti hard to lay down.  Better now.

Ratdog, so glad you had a great time at Comic Con.  That is so cool that you meet the actresses who played the princesses voices.  Wow so cool to meet the guy who is big bird.

Just wanted to drop in and say Hi!

• Like 1

Dropping in to say hi :)

I am going in for an interview at Target tomorrow (having 2 jobs is going to kick my butt, but we have to get ahead somehow). Ill have to let you all know how it goes. Miss Jade is doing good, I will have to try to log in from my phon eto post some new pictures.

• Like 1

Good Luck on the job interview ImmaFreek.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Up regular time today, trash guys have been here and now I can sit and enjoy the beautiful sunshine.

Got a new cane yesterday.  It is white with butterflies all over.  Now I don't have to worry if I lose one.  I can also keep on in the car at all times.

Changing over to thread today.  I have tried to keep crocheting with yarn, but it is to hot.

Hope all is well with everyone.  Have a great day.

• Like 1

good morning

good luck Imafreek

sun shining chance of showers,have a great day

Finally got aroind to making my Beauty and the Beast Mickey ears

IMG_20190806_165111977.jpg

• Like 1

Ratdog I love the ears.

ImmaFreek I hope all went well with your interview.

Today was busy. I was taking care of my littlest granddaughter and my older daughter and my other 2 grandkids were here for part of the day. We went to lunch and the Disney outlet store. I'm tired and I have to go back to work tomorrow so it will be an early night for me. Not much else happening here.

Ratdog cute ears.

Lacey hoping all works out.

Carol dh hope you had a good first day back.

Yesterday we went to see Lion King.  It was great sitting there focused on that and not stressing about moving.   Today we had an appointment for tax advice in regard to everything going on.  I had been researching and running lots of figures and was on the right track but still had other things I didnt know how to factor in.  I really liked the guy and better yet this consult was free.  His office is in the same building as marketing for place we are moving too so he had info I dont have yet that will factor into our taxes.  We also took some more paver stones to my niece's house.  Dh hasnt resigned from the fire dept yet and had training last night and then again Fri night.  Mover comes out tomorrow to take a look at what we want moved.  I guess we are getting things accomplished but mostly I feel overwhelmed.

hi all  

nothin much here i guess thst is good news considering what is happening elsewhere huh  cant stay long getting ready to eat so see you all later  take care  

• Like 1

Hello.

Brenda I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed but it sounds like you're getting things done.

First day back to work, I'm exhausted and the kids aren't even back yet.

Hope you all have a wonderful evening.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 5:38 PM, smskutt said:

Hello everyone!  I hope you are all staying cool and enjoying the summer.

I am just back from my mother's and a solo road trip for the last few weeks, and feel so much better for having taken a week to myself.  Things are busy here, in a good way, and we are readying the rig for our vacation at the end of the week.  I got no crocheting done while gone; I just seem to lose my mojo during the summer.  Part of the reason for the road trip was to drop my dog off at my mom's so he would be well taken care of while we're on vacation.  I'm just as unhappy as he is and would like to whine for a second:  I miss my dog!!!  :(  

What's everyone up to?  I skimmed several posts and it sounds like gardens are producing well, grandchildren are kicking butts, and life continues to move forward.  :) 

I always miss my dogs too when on vacation. We don't get to go very often, last time was when my 9 year old was 4. We are going camping for the first time this weekend. I am really excited as we are taking 2 of the dogs; we have 7. We will have to go back home a couple times a day to let the dogs out but I still think it will be fun.

On 8/4/2019 at 6:06 PM, katyallen8090 said:

yep i hear ya bgs lol  i was burnt out too on pone, (count court, how may i help you  ) lol   old habits die hard at my other job i was

Yes, I answer a phone here at work. I HATE talking on the phone. I don't do it much at home, thankfully, Mr Tribble does the phone stuff for me cause he knows how much I hate it. I don't mind texting though, but don't have my phone on me constantly so there is normally a delay in the texting. I do take my phone if I think I am going to want to take pictures, as that is the camera I use now. I used to use a real camera and then smart phones came out and it's just so much easier. I'm happy with the quality, I don't need professional pictures. LOL. 

On 8/4/2019 at 7:54 PM, owlvamp said:

I didn't hear about the shootings in either place. But then again I don't turn the radio or TV on. But it's a shame .. I'm sure wen hubby gets home he'll tell me or daughter usually does a week later when ever I see her.

I'll stay in my little cubby hole.  Think it's safer these days.

Good night all!

I don't pay any attention to whats going on, if I need to know, Mr Tribble keeps me informed. I too prefer to remain in my own little magick bubble.

On 8/5/2019 at 1:49 PM, Tampa Doll said:

Good afternoon.  It is one very boring day.  I woke up at 4:30 this morning and had to come out to my recliner sofa.  My sinuses were making ti hard to lay down.  Better now.

Ratdog, so glad you had a great time at Comic Con.  That is so cool that you meet the actresses who played the princesses voices.  Wow so cool to meet the guy who is big bird.

Just wanted to drop in and say Hi!

I have always wanted to go to a comic con but they are always so expensive! One of these days maybe and I will for sure dress up as a mash up character. LOL

On 8/6/2019 at 5:10 PM, ratdog said:

Finally got aroind to making my Beauty and the Beast Mickey ears

IMG_20190806_165111977.jpg

Adorable ears!!!

Just working on small projects lately. I made a handle cover for one of my favorite bags because one of my lovely pooches decided to chew on the original one and it didn't look too pleasant. Made a bow for another bag to cover a chew area, still have to attach that one, but think it will look cute. getting ready to start a pillow cover in camo and orange for Mr Tribble's pillow and going to make the heating pad I pack to work a cotton cover. 

I'm sad that summer is coming to an end. I was off for six days in a row last month and we were in our pool every day! Was lovely. Little Tribble thinks he's a fish now that he can swim. He is starting 4th grade this year. I'm not sure where the time went. I sure don't seem to have accomplished much in that amount of time. 

I've been making and trading artist trading cards this summer, but was missing my crochet so finished up one WIP and still have many more to go that I have started and not finished. I also started a journal but as usual, just can't seem to keep up with it. But still putting in a day here and there. I don't time manage very well. lol.

Have a good night all!

• Like 1

Good Morning.

Love the mouse ears Ratdog.  Just adorable.

I am going to get on my soap box and sorry if I upset teachers.  I saw on the news that one school (only one in the state), got some equipment. from Apple.  They are going to start teaching students about code and such.  They will be teaching them how to code drones and robots.  This will be from 6th grade up.  Oh yeah, they have some things for kindergartners also.  These are the same kids who can not make change, unless the cash register tells them how much to give back.  These are the same kids that are not learning cursive writing anymore.  I am all for progress, but how about teaching some basics first?  Sorry, I just do not understand what is going on.  Heaven help us, if we lose electricity, these kids will be lost.  End of soap box.

Sun is shinning, after what looks like a very rainy night.  Eveything is wet.  The windows are steaming up, so I am sure it is very hot out there.

Have a fun day.

• Like 1

Mary Jo I agree about teaching basics first! This generation is growing up with tech. They manage to learn how to use it quite well without classroom instruction.

Teach them to read and think critically and do basic math without a calculator. Then they can pursue their own learning .

Found 3 inch tulle rolls on sale at Joanns. I made some scrubbies yesterday to replace the very worn out ones in my kitchen.

Cleaned out a drawer thos morning (progress!) And am doing laundry for DH.

Might make another set of mickey ears. Have to check the stash!

24 minutes ago, Tampa Doll said:

These are the same kids that are not learning cursive writing anymore. 

My son, who is now 13 (can you believe that?!?) thinks this not teaching/requiring cursive is ridiculous. He was taught cursive in 3rd grade in public school. After learning it, they were never required to use it again. A lot of kids we knew about in other schools weren't taught at all. He went on to keep practicing cursive on his own and now his main hobby is calligraphy. He writes with fountain pens and dip pens, and even makes some of his own inks and cuts his own quills. One of the reasons we went to London was that the British Library was having a temporary exhibit on the history of writing (Writing: Making Your Mark) where they had many ancient texts, some with intricate calligraphy.

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all of your well wishes on our trip and kindly comments, if you left one.  I'm sorry I'm not here more lately, but there is so much to do before we leave.  Our countdown is in hours now, or "wake-ups" as my Dad loved to say.  "Only two more wake-ups and we're out of here!"  I miss him so much. 

We're getting anxious to be off, so our Saturday morning start time may be pushed forward to tomorrow.  I can't think of all of the work that needs to happen before then or I'll sit in a puddle and cry.  

All right, I need to get moving.  Have a lovely August, you lovely people, and stay cool.  Enjoy the last bit of summer (how can it be over already?!?) and I look forward to visiting with you all more later after we return.  I'll probably post quite a few photos on my Instagram account, so feel free to pop by and say hello.  The link is in my signature down below.  xx

• Like 1

Nope Donna, that can not be true.  He is not allowed to be 13, just like my oldest grandson is not allowed to be 31.  I am getting old.

Shani enjoy your trip.  I had to laugh at what your Dad use to say.  I remember my Dad coming home from work and saying we had an hour to get the car packed and ready to go camping.:rofl  We were lucky a lot was just moving trunks out to the car.

Still working on the under cabinet of the bathroom sinks.  Need more pullout organizers.

Have fun today.

Mary Jo hope you chose a big soap box because I think many of us are right up there with you for the reasons you stated and more.  Like video games are now college sports and kids can get scholarships for them.  If you cant write in cursive how do you sign your name when you need to?  Are we going back to an X?  Ever since they gave me the test to see if I was capable of living independently I have thought kids today will never pass this test at any age.   We had to draw in the correct time on a clock.  Listen to a story problem and do the math in our head figuring how much money was left after making a couple of transactions.  Listen to a story then answer questions.  In story they say person lives in Chicago but they asked what state they lived in.  

Shani have a nice vacation.  I know what you mean about not thinking about all the work needing done before.... or you would be sitting in a puddle crying.  Thats where I am at with our moving.

Ratdog on the scrubbies were they the ones where you cut the tulle in strips and then crochet the strips.  I made a batch like that a long time ago and those were hard on my hands.

Wow Donna.  I cant believe he is 13.  Thats is neat that he is into calligraphy and that you saw the writing exhibit on your trip.

• Like 2

Yeah, someone told a joke that cursive will end up being a secret language of old people.  :rofl 

Amazing isn't it how they test us, yet we have kids who can not read?

Well storms are moving in, got to go.

Mary Jo right with. You defitinitly need a bigger soap box girl cause here we come!!! My grandsons can not cursive. I was teaching them before they moved.

heres some pictures I have promised to take. Just happened to be in reach. Still have lots more.But that will be for another day. 

That is my first ever chicken washcloth, hotpad(not thick enough I think ) .. 

Dress can be hotpad, or use it for a bottle of dish soap .

Bloomers washcloth ( do you remember them from bag in the day?) 

circle triangle washcloth. It will be the only one I ever make....

donut scrubbies. Love them!!

Basket

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sandra thanks for posting the photos.  I love everything you have made.  All very nice. I have been thinking about that chicken potholder or one similiar.  My stepmom used a dress pattern similiar to yours for towel toppers.  Cute bloomers.  Not sure I have come across the round one before but I will take your hint on not wanting to do another one.  Donut scrubbies so cute and another nice basket.  These are wonderful.  Would you consider posting them in show and tell?  These are all so nice.   We are hoping by posting our project photos there that we will create more interest and activity which will help keep Crochetville going and grow.   I recently discovered that I didnt have to re-upload photos to each thread.  If you select "insert other media" it brings up every photo you have ever uploaded to Crochetville.  

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1

These are the scribbies i made. I did not have to cut the tulle as it was 3 inches wide. Just crocheted simple sc circles as with yarn. K hook.

I have been on an organizing kick today. Started with one junk drawer ans expanded to three kitchen drawers and three shelves on the family room bookshelf. 

Its been rainy lately with thunder so no swimming or walking outside so, organizing it is.

15652981490421842997136.jpg

• Like 2

Ratdog nice little scrubbies. Trying to remember.  Ones I did were crocheted like you would crochet a ball.  

hey all  nice projects sandra, love them!! I thought everyone was pushing   show and tell for that very reason bgs, lol  cant hurt right  ill try to remember to do that    most of the time im just lucky to get it on this thread cause im here lol but like i said, i will try to remember lol  

I did a couple granny squares the other day just to make sure i still could, you know  been awhile  didnt want to forget  i did that once before, after my doggie died, and again when my first sister passed just was too distraught, it came back but kinda scared me each time 

Oh boy what a day huh  dont even wanna turn on the tv anymore, its always bad news on you know  

Handy replaced the skylight today in his man cave shed and put double strength and thickness this time so if it hails we should still be ok he is keeping busy too, he checked two different peoples garbage disposals, and both needed new, so he will install tomorrow   

I did a load of laundry and vacuumed the craft room, and some dishes, but that is about all exciting life huh 

well time to go and find something that needs to get done, take care everyone     

Love everything you made Sandra.  I have a pair of those bloomers someone gave me.  I hang them up, I don't use them, to pretty.

Ratdog, love the scrubbies. 

Waiting for the pre season games to start.  They come on at 7, so I am ready.

Just got some new fry pans.  10" and 12", I go thru them like crazy.  They do not last long with me, so I decided to get some granitestone Diamond.  Let's see how long they last and how heavy they are.

Have a fun night.  I don't think I will be back tonight.

Mouse ears, bloomers and scrubbies..... love em

Best wishes with travel,jobs, moving etc.. Brenda... you stay sooo busy

Donna, we homeschooled here in NC for 19 years and I made my boys learn cursive..

Took 3 of the grands to the childrens museum in Raleigh yesterday, and then to Krispy Kreme to try the new Reeses filled donut ( not a fan)

the boys loved watching them make the donuts more then eating them!

Thought I would share a picture of my Grams on her 100th bday.... hope I look that good at 100!

g7w.jpg

• Like 2