katyallen8090

granny squares work and chat friends 2019 new thread

You're welcome, Brenda. It's actually a bit fiddly to copy the URL for the forum announcements.

its nice to see you active again,Donna,is your area back 100% after last years storm?

Thanks for the info.  It is good we do not have to sign up again, just re-log in.

The house across the street, is up for sale, they are going back to Poland.  Today and I gather tomorrow, they are having a yard sale.

Lots of people coming, which is good.

off to my corner.

1 hour ago, pineknott said:

its nice to see you active again,Donna,is your area back 100% after last years storm?

Thank you! It's good to be back.

No, there is still so much recovery left to do. On the surface, it looks fine; the debris is gone and it looks "normal." But even among people with resources (money and help), many who were the worst affected are just wrapping up their recovery. My friend/backyard neighbor is designer/remodeler and she has just closed out her hurricane renovation/rebuild projects in the last several weeks. For those with less resources and those in poverty, many are still struggling. I don't know when it will be truly over. Especially in areas of deep poverty, I wonder if some will ever get back to their pre-hurricane standard of living because they lost pretty much everything.

Here's a drone video of my neighborhood, taken by the local paper post-hurricane, about a 3 minute drive from my house. You don't see it in this video, but one family gave up, had their entire house demolished, and put all the debris in it's entirety in several piles at the street.

that looked like the city of Franklin here in Va. when Floyd came through in the 90's

we had friends from NY that lived in your area in the 90's on Sextant Court

I often think about those that have lost everything in these disasters.  I have seen small towns around here that never really recovered from a tornado.  It puts the thought of my impending move and mega downsize into perspective.  I will get to at least choose what to keep.

Its another very hot and very humid day. 

Currently with the Prairie Dulcimer Club enjoying the music of 11 hammer dulcimers, 12 mountain dulcimers, a guitar, and a fiddle.  They brought in a special teacher today and she is fantastic.

@bgs Brenda, I hope your move is as smooth as possible! When are you moving?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Donna said:

@bgs Brenda, I hope your move is as smooth as possible! When are you moving?

Dont have a move date yet.  We put down a refundable deposit on a dup at a senior place that is good until Oct 24.  We have accepted an offer on our place. Hope to go over contract, get it signed and get it to title co this week.  Neighbors said they would take it as is  (it needs a lot of sprucing up) no inspections, we dont have to clean it up or out----can leave stuff behind, cash deal,  adopt the 2 barn cats (which most likely were from their bunch to begin with) and give us plenty of time to get out.  I was feeling really guilty over the cats but they in no way want to be house cats.  Didnt have to use realtor and list it.  Need funds from this sale to close at senior place.  We currently have 5 acres to mow, trim brush, and cut down dead trees.  Its just getting to be too much and would not be a good place for me to be should something happen to dh first.  Almost any time we get in car its 100 mile round trip because almost everything we do is up that way -----dr, dentist, family,  where we get our cars serviced, bonsai group,  dulcimer group,  and jobs before retiring. Things just seem to keep falling in place so it must be time.   There are a lot of positives and so very much to be excited about but things could still fall through.  We never really expected to financially qualify to live at this place so we are in shock.  We have looked a lot through the years and this was always our first choice.  April we thought we would talk to them one more time (crush the dream and then move on to the senior apts we found).  The rep showed us some of the available units and I really liked this one. Someone had a hold on it for another week but let it go so we get a chance at it. The rep just said see where it goes. If it works out it was meant to be.  We have looked at units there in the past but I never really liked them all that well.  Then it just seems like an awful lot of money which totally freaks me out but after we close it is guaranteed home for life. It is continuous care and includes long term health insurance. They have assisted living, Alzheimer units, nursing home, visiting nurses and hospice, 2 hospitals nearby.  The village has apartments, houses, duplexes, 7 restaurants.  We have free use of its bowling alley, movie theater, outdoor pool, small indoor pool, aquacenter with much larger pool and hot tub,  gym with exercise equipment.  They have all kinds of groups activities including a CROCHET group.  They have free transportation through out the village, and on certain days to Walmart, grocery stores and nearby doctor offices.  Shopping mall across from village.  We frequent this area and are very familiar with it even though we live 40 miles away.  I will be close to my niece (it will be easier for her to keep watch over us when and if the time comes) and two sisters.  And my other niece and nephew's grandma was just moved to assisted living there.  I actually saw and visited with her last time we were there.  Its no maintenance.  They change the lightbulbs in ceiling, filters in furnace and refrigerator.  We are only responsible for phone and internet (I will finally have high speed internet still on dialup here).  They cover all other utilities including basic cable (antenna tv out here).Our cells have very good coverage but then we can use them on Wi-Fi.  Fancier and newer stove, refrigerator, and microwave than here along with new carpet and fresh coat of paint.  It has the stacked washer and dryer. Anything breaks just call to get it fixed.  They will clean your carpet once a year, repaint and recarpet every 8 years.  They have a little lake and free use of 9 hole golf course--- our unit is adjacent to a hole or two.  No more dust from gravel road, no more both us spending 2 days shoveling snow after those record snowfalls, no long days on riding mower followed by another day with push mower and weedeater.  A lot to look forward too but so much anxiety.  Sorry if its tmi.

Edited by bgs
  • Like 2

Brenda, definitely not TMI. I am interested in these kind of details. I'm glad you were able to qualify for a place that you thought was out of reach. It's great that your neighbors are willing to buy your place as is. That really helps because selling property is often time-consuming and frustrating. I agree, the cats will be happier staying in their barn and it's so nice that the neighbors are willing to take them on. The new place sounds like it will be a big relief in terms of the day-to-day details of life and also knowing that care will be available in the future. It must be daunting preparing for such a change. So many things to do and new routines to get used to. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I hope this new chapter in your life brings you great joy once you are settled into it. ❤️

Good Morning.

I'm still at my daughter's house and everyone is still sleeping so it's very quiet. The baby shower was very nice and I think they are just about set with everything they need for the new baby, the only big item they still need is the a stroller and they can buy that with the gift cards and cash/check gifts they received. I will be heading to my other daughter's house later today to take care of my granddaughter tomorrow and I'll be back at my own home tomorrow. 

I've seen many tropical storms and hurricanes come through south Florida. I think the devastation from Andrew in 1992 was the worst, Wilma in 2005 and Irma in 2017 were also bad but a lot of the building codes had been changed after Andrew so new construction can withstand the storms better. We were blessed to only have minor damage from any of the storms but many people were not so fortunate. 

The grandkids are starting to wake up and I promised them I would cook breakfast this morning so I need to get going. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

good morning

3 H's,maybe the last day of this oppressive heat,stay cool and safe everyone

82 right now going up to 86.  81% humidity.  I have not stepped outside yet, so I am not sure how it feels.

Thought I would pop in while doing the wash and log-in, but I did not have to.  Maybe it has not been fixed yet.

Just finished breakfast, so I can go to my corner while I am doing the wash.

Have a fun day and be careful with the heat.  Make sure you have lots of water.

Been back and forth here this morning and not had to log in yet.

Donna I never realized how complicated growing old was like figuring out medicare.  Let alone one day realizing I cant work as hard or long as I did a few years ago.  

Thunderstorm rolled in at 2am this morning.  Got a nice rain.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bgs said:

Been back and forth here this morning and not had to log in yet.

Sorry everyone, I woke up late this morning, of all mornings!

Brenda, I can only imagine. Seems like stuff gets more complicated every day.

50 minutes ago, Tampa Doll said:

Thought I would pop in while doing the wash and log-in, but I did not have to.  Maybe it has not been fixed yet.

Finally got it fixed as of 10:04 Eastern time. Hope all goes well for those re-logging in. I will be monitoring the contact us form email for those who need help.

It's already heating up out there this morning. 

I logged in with no problem and it went fast too. 

Donna lots of clean up still going on. I'm sure that will be for a while to come. It's really sad to see what others have lost . I've been their myself and it's really hard getting back to normal. Well whatever normal is.

Speaking of getting old.  It now takes me 2 days to do what I could do in 1.  Cleaning that is, and not being able to work outside.  I do miss that.

I just logged in with no trouble.  Things are great here and I am liking the new site.

Almost done the wash off to fold cloths.

I think if I moved, I would have to just take my cloths and lock the door.  Oh I would take all my crocheting stuff too.

I made it back!

Yes Mary Jo I can not believe how long it now takes me to accomplish things.  I have no idea how I pulled those 10 hour shifts at the hospital kept the yard mowed, take care of housework and help raise my niece.  And yes that is plan z---plan of last resort.  Take my clothes, my lawn chair, tv, my crochet stuff, and put some diet coke in the fridge . It is a viable option.  Thats  what keeps me from stroking out about it.

Dont know if I told you all that last week at church dh had a senior moment and got poised to drop our money in the cracker plate but recovered a row or two before it made it to us.  Pastor has been moving around service order.  Dh didnt realize I noticed until I told him later.  Said I was losing it too because I found my peanut butter in the fridge but he confessed he did that trying to be helpful.  (Music from Twilight Zone playing thru head).

More ministockings completed and a babyghan for Project Linus.

https://forum.crochetville.com/topic/161516-ministockings-for-warmth-for-warriors/

https://forum.crochetville.com/topic/161514-jamie-afghan-for-project-linus/

• Haha 1

hi  all thanks for the heads up Donna!! i resigned in too no probs thanks!!

• Like 1

Whew..made it...... glad to catch up with everyone.....

Donna, those pictures broke my heart...

Going in to work at the preschool today! Ive been off for a couple of weeks and I miss my babies and coworkers. Looking forward to lots of snuggles today (with the babies not the coworkers)

good morning

we hit 100 yesterday,the cool down coming in tomorrow

be safe and stay cool