I have a question

Lucien

Question

4 answers to this question

We really need more info.  Is this in regards to a free pattern on the internet that you can share the link or even the link to a purchased pattern so we can see a picture?  It is against forum guidelines to post an entire pattern here due to copyright laws but you can post a few rows.  It would help for us to see the specific instructions for the two rows you are to sc into along with the row instructing you to sc into them and what you are making.

13 minutes ago, bgs said:

We really need more info.  Is this in regards to a free pattern on the internet that you can share the link or even the link to a purchased pattern so we can see a picture?  It is against forum guidelines to post an entire pattern here due to copyright laws but you can post a few rows.  It would help for us to see the specific instructions for the two rows you are to sc into along with the row instructing you to sc into them and what you are making.

I love to garage sales. There was a box that said free at the end of the driveway--it had some crochet/knitting hooks in it, some yarn and patterns-- so I took it; didn't buy anything.

For all sizes follow Rounds 1-7

Chain 3 and join into a ring with a slip stitch.

Row 1) 8 hdc into ring, slst to join (8 sts)

Row 2) ch 2, 2 hdc in ea st, slst to join (16 sts),

Row 3) ch 2, 2 hdc in first st, *hdc in next st, 2 hdc in following st* slst to join (24 sts)

Row 4) ch 2, 2 hdc in first st, *hdc in next 2 sts, 2 hdc in following st* slst to join (32 sts)

Row 5) ch 2, 2 hdc in first st, *hdc in next 3 sts, 2 hdc in following st* slst to join (40 sts)

Row 6) ch 2, 2 hdc in first st, *hdc in next 4 sts, 2 hdc in following st* slst to join (48 sts)

Row 7) ch 2, 2 hdc in first st, *hdc in next 5 sts, 2 hdc in following st* slst to join (56 sts)

***All measurements are with the hat laid flat, so double it to get circumference.

Baby 0-6 months (width measures 7.25”)

Rows 8 – 16 or until hat measures 5” crown to base) ch2, hdc in ea st, slst to join (56 sts)

Row 17) ch 1, sc in next 38 sts, ch 1, turn

Row 18) slst for 22 sts, ch 1, turn

Brim:

*1.          Row 19) sc through both rows 17 & 18 for 22 sts, make 2 sc in the 2nd st (by sc these two rows together you are creating a thick row and turning 2 rows into 1), ch 1 turn (23 sts)

Row 20) sl st all the way back, ch 1, turn (23)

*2.          Row 21) sc through previous 2 rows, making 2 sc in 5th st from beginning and 5th st from end, ch1, turn (25)

Row 22) sl st all the way back, ch1, turn (25)

*3.          Row 23) sc through previous 2 rows, ch1, turn (25)

Row 24) sl st all the way back, DON’T ch1, turn (25) *by skipping the chain 1 it helps to create a rounder edge on the brim

*4.          Row 25) still single crocheting through both rows… skip the 1st st, sc in 2nd st and in each st until you get to the 2nd st from the end, sc last 2 sts together (23)

Row 26) sl st all the way back, DON’T ch1, turn (23)

Hi Bgs, you posted as I was scratching my head on this.  "Something like" thermal stitch occurred to me too, but the thermal stitch doesn't alternate with rows of slip stitches.

Rows of slip stitches looks sort of  like a horizontal row of knit stitches (or, the tops of crochet stitches, facing you).  Notice the pattern has a  row of slst before the yellow highlight, and every other row following.  Maybe you are to stitch into a loops the slst makes?    And the slip stitch loops would be in the back if done every other row, and you turned, so 'sorta like a thermal stitch'.

See the diagram in step 2 here*.  If you turn, that row of 'crochet top loops' would be in the back, so would be similar in concept to the thermal stitch where you work into the top loops plus 1 back strand from the row below; I'm guessing this baby hat has you use the 2 top loops plus the 2 loops of the slst in the back. 

*Edit, just noticed my embedded link didn't work..try this https://www.redheart.com/learn/articles/how-slip-stitch-crochet

Archived