Ordering on etsy

Fruitypebbles

Question

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I saw this pattern on etsy and wanted to know if anyone has ever ordered from there before and how it works?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/697765987/bumblebee-butt-beanie-with-stinger?ref=shop_home_active_1

Also, I noticed this listing is brand new and hasn't been ordered yet, how much of a risk is it to buy this in terms of the pattern possibly not being perfect?

Any other tips for me to keep in mind when browsing patterns on etsy?

I'm sorry if it's not allowed to post links here, I hope someone can assist me with this.

7 answers to this question

Its absolutely ok to post a link.  I dont have any experience with this pattern, designer or purchasing patterns thru Etsy.  As you said It looks like this designer is just starting out----only pattern in store and I didnt see any reviews or link to a blog.   I really love and appreciate designers that offer a free pattern or two so I can at least see if they use standard crochet terms, how well their patterns are written, and if they are available to answer questions about their pattern.  Personally I generally stick to free patterns or patterns in magazines or books, but have purchased from designers that I had worked some of their free patterns.  I am sure there are those out there writing and selling wonderful patterns.  Its just we tend to only see the ones that people come here for help because they are having problems.  Many of those have been what I consider to be poorly written patterns.  

Agree with Bgs 100%. Yarn sites (lionbrand.com, redheart.com, yarnspirations.com to name a few) are another good place to look for decently written and tech edited free patterns. 

I've never ordered from Etsy but I suspect you may need a Paypal account.  Also suspect the pattern will likely be an electronically conveyed PDF file.

That is a super cute hat, also super simple.  My suggestion is to use a generic hat recipe here,  and add the stinger.  

This pattern is multi sized, so you could make a whole family of bees! :lol  It also is in HDC, which appears to be the stitch used in the pattern you chose.

The only difference is, this pattern is written in a spiral, which you don't want for stripes.  Instead, you'd work a round, join with a slst to the first stitch, chain 1, and (1) turn (recommended) or (2) don't turn, start the next round in the first stitch, and treat the chain 1 as not counting as a stitch, and not skipping the first stitch of the round as you would for SC.  The reason I recommend turning is the 'seam' and stitches will line up in a straight line, if you don't turn the stitches and seam will drift off to the right.  IMO straight looks much better.  Use the 'bee' photo as a guide for stripe color changes.  You'll want to start with black, to match the singer so the attachment won't show as much.

Stinger:  start at the tip, using SC to keep the stuffing in better than HDC.  I'm going to make this up in my head, you might want to alter it if you want it skinnier or fatter: 

1) Adjustable ring or preferred center circle start method: 6 sc in ring (or, chain 2, 6 sc in second ch from hook would work, too.) Work in a spiral.

2) Keep working around in a spiral on those 6 stitches, or if that looks too skinny put a couple of increases in the second round, then keep working without increasing around until the length looks right.  Finish off, leave long tail for sewing.  Stuff (for something small like this, if you don't have fiberfill, a few cotton balls would work fine) and sew on.

If you've made hats before, and are comfortable with the idea, you could start with the stinger then increase the number of stitches on the last stinger round to the number of stitches in the hat's round 2, then follow the hat starting on round 3.  You do want to switch from working in a spiral to working in joined rounds for the hat part.  

@bgs @Granny Square thanks SO much for your replies, they're both very helpful! I have tried free patterns from multiple sources and was browsing etsy to check what they had to offer and stumbled upon this one. The free alternatives Granny Square posted look quite similar indeed! It's just that I fell in love with this little hat and want to make an exact copy of it 😍 and your comment about a straight line is definitely interesting, although I guess it's a matter of taste too. Thanks again both for your input!

You're welcome!  I should have added, in addition to turning keeping the 'seam' in a vertical straight line , turning the rows will keep the stripes in line horizontally, too.  

If you work in a spiral, the end of the row doesn't meet the beginning, it's 1 row above.  

Archived