Need help with a pattern

Dewy

Question

I have started an Afghan and need some help with the directions. There are 183 stitches for rows. Row 8 calls for chain 3 Cluster * dbl 6 st together. Ch 1 skip 2 st* across. I’m not sure what is being asked. I did the cluster stitch but that decreased my stitches and I did not get the 183 stitches across. I have tried many different versions and it doesn’t work. Could someone please help me? Maybe I am reading this wrong. The pattern is very vague. Thanks Dewy

20 answers to this question

Is this a free pattern on the internet that you can provide us with the link so we can see the whole pattern, extra instructions, and or photo or is it possibly in a book or magazine that you could tell us the title of and the pattern name.  It is against forum guidelines to post an entire pattern due to copyright but you can post a few rows.  It also might help to post a photo of your work.  I am curious about the 183 stitches per row--- where and how it is stated in the pattern.  If you had 183 stitches in row 7 I dont see how you could have 183 stitches in row 8 after doing clusters and also skipping stitches.

Row 8 isnt making sense to me either.  That dbl 6 together makes for an awful big cluster and the instructions on that row arent making up enough stitches to get you on across and come out straight.  You might have to play with it and come up with a cluster row that works for you.  Hopefully Granny Square will check in here.  She may see something we missed and might have a suggestion or two on what to do with that row.

Does the pattern define cluster?  

I was trying to think of a way that a row could add and subtract 8 stitches and come out even somehow, but my imagination is failing me.  A true cluster wouldn't add stitches tho, as it's many stitches into 1 but all gathered up at the top.  I was thinking maybe if the cluster was defined as an 8 stitch shell, and they were somehow doing a staggered Catherine wheel....but I can't quite see how that would work.

Ah, you just posted a pic.  You know...what you have already looks really nice, and not horribly different than the pic...maybe just repeat the pattern you've already done, perhaps playing with the color arrangement?  Actually, I'm not seeing clusters (but the finished item pic is a little fuzzy)....If you want the blanket to have a cluster row (big bumps)  you could improvise a row of x DC, cluster, x DC so they're evenly spaced across and centered so you end up with the same # of plain stitches at each end.  8 is a lot of stitches for a cluster, maybe try 5 or 6 or whatever looks good to you.

I think I found it, here's a clearer & color pic https://www.etsy.com/listing/474181374/holly-jolly-crochet-christmas-afghan

I'm not seeing anything that remotely resembles row 8's instructions.  If I'm counting right, row 8 looks like a shell, maybe 4 stitches into 1, chain 1 (in white)

I hate to say this, but I've never used a pattern that wasn't in a book, magazine, yarn company's website, or a free pattern on the internet.  The first 3 categories are usually tech edited (although you will find errors, but hopefully eventually errata).  The last category, if the pattern doesn't work out I'm not out any $ pattern-wise and I can probably rip and repurpose the yarn.  I'm sure there are lots of talented self-published designers out there with conventional pattern writing skill and accuracy, but all I see are the, um, others that people bring to Crochetville with questions because the pattern has issues.  Earlier this week someone had a pattern where the writer completely invented her own language, which was entertaining.  I get it -- designing something and writing down a pattern clearly is HARD.  Sometimes I tweak a pattern and make notes, and come back to it later and can't figure out what I meant :lol 

Thank you Granny.  I was hoping to hear your thoughts.

Dewey since you purchased this pattern have you contacted the seller for clarification or help.  They should provide you some support.

Thanks so much for the help! I will keep trying. Going to try your suggestion and work it out to the right amount of stitches. I thought I was going crazy! This pattern does not have enough information for me. But I will keep trying! Keep you posted! Thanks again, Dewy

The pattern has sort of a granny stripe vibe...maybe one of these would work?  They are a bit less complex looking, tho.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-granny-stripe---stitch-tutorial   generic recipe - you could vary the color placement/number of rows in 1 color

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/rainbow-granny-stripe-blanket  This was a little different looking

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/granny-waves-blanket  granny ripple

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/grannys-remix-dishcloth  a little different stitch pattern

A trick, if you don't know how many to chain to start, for example, a blanket from the last washcloth pattern:  chain the length you want, plus a few more.  Turn, work across to the last repeat of the pattern, turn, work with the existing stitches.  Later, you can rip out the extra chains, the piece will not unravel from that end.

I have contacted the seller and never got a reply

24 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I think I found it, here's a clearer & color pic https://www.etsy.com/listing/474181374/holly-jolly-crochet-christmas-afghan

I'm not seeing anything that remotely resembles row 8's instructions.  If I'm counting right, row 8 looks like a shell, maybe 4 stitches into 1, chain 1 (in white)

I hate to say this, but I've never used a pattern that wasn't in a book, magazine, yarn company's website, or a free pattern on the internet.  The first 3 categories are usually tech edited (although you will find errors, but hopefully eventually errata).  The last category, if the pattern doesn't work out I'm not out any $ pattern-wise and I can probably rip and repurpose the yarn.  I'm sure there are lots of talented self-published designers out there with conventional pattern writing skill and accuracy, but all I see are the, um, others that people bring to Crochetville with questions because the pattern has issues.  Earlier this week someone had a pattern where the writer completely invented her own language, which was entertaining.  I get it -- designing something and writing down a pattern clearly is HARD.  Sometimes I tweak a pattern and make notes, and come back to it later and can't figure out what I meant :lol 

29 minutes ago, Dewy said:

I have contacted the seller and never got a reply 

Well that is poor.

I have been looking at row 10 which I think is maybe supposed to sort of  mirror row 8 and row 10 says dbl in next 3 so maybe in row 8 that dbl 6 together should really be dbl 3 together.

Edited by bgs

I'm going to devote tomorrow to getting row 8 done! Lots of tweaks to do but I'm not giving up! I so appreciate your help and time. Thanks to Granny square also for her ideas. I'll be keeping you updated!

Ooh, that's different, good find!--and it spans 3 stitches and the 183 stitch count is divisible by 3.   

I wonder if there are stitch dictionaries, or better yet online stitch sites that let you search by pattern repeat stitch count--at least one exists for knitting that I know of.

Edited by Granny Square

I would never have thought to do that from the pattern instructions.   It was so weird.  I was browsing pinterest last night and that popped up so I thought hmmm maybe thats what row 8 is wanting you to do.

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards

The above link is to the main page of the US knit and crochet standards, see the menu on the right side--crochet chart symbols.

I really like symbol patterns, in fact I'm just starting a symbol doily right now; it's not hard to 'read', and with a little imagination and practice the symbols look like the stitches.  The best thing is being able to see the relationship between stitches, adjacent or in different rows.  It's also great in that it's an international language.  Sometimes there are little quirks, example the pattern I'm working is by a Russian designer and she does give Russian and English definitions for the symbols but she uses slightly different symbols for  slst and sc  -- but, even if there was no cross reference, since the charts are so visual, if the pattern photo is clear you can figure out what the symbol is supposed to be.

So the stitch that Bgs linked has a row of sc, a turning chain (see right side--you'd read the top row--the row in process--the same way you crochet if you are right handed), then *3 stitch HDC cluster or puff stitch (photo looks like puff), ch 1, skip 2 stitches, sc in next stitch--repeat.  You might be able to sub a 3DC cluster or popcorn instead, might depend on your stitch height tension--play with it and see what you like best.

Edited by Granny Square