Crochet Pattern Question

Luanne

Question

I have never used a pattern chart but understand how to read the written pattern.
This pattern includes letters and images and since I am new to this type of crocheting I was
wondering if you could answer my question. (This is the pattern: crochetparfait.blogspot.com/2016/02/marine-corps-afghan-written-pattern.html?m=1) I wrote to the author but apparently croschetparfait is not taking email.

My question is am I crocheting across and at the end of the row am I turning my work the same as any other afghan and continuing
OR
Am I tying off at the end of the row on the left and starting brand new row on the right again?
OR
Am I going back and forth (right and left) without turning?
Thank you very much for your assistance!

1 answer to this question

Turning.  If you work same side facing, without mitigating your stitch technique (like BLO,  yarn under, working every other row other-handed), the shape will look like /____/  instead of a nice rectangle.

Also, a big hint is that the pattern says to chain 1 at the end of every row...why she couldn't have added the word 'turn' is a mystery.

Another way to test this is look at the bottom of the picture.  At the "M" end, there are several rows that will have the same distance of red because of the straight edge of the M, but the curvy edge of the S changes distance because of its shape.  If you were turning, you'd expect to see the same number of red at the beginning of 1 row, and the end of the next, for several rows.  Check it out, the "R7" for the M side does exactly that.

Archived