Blanket Help

Taztoon

Question

No idea what to search for so was unsure where to place this but...

I am trying to crochet a blanket of my own design using some stitches I like. The blanket should end up looking like the attatched sketch eventually.

I am hoping that I can basically crochet the bulk of the blanket, (at least half of it), and then crochet in the start of the coloured 'diamond'. I want to avoid crochetting the diamond seperately and avoid having to tie off and cut the coloured thread row by row. Is there a way I can crochet in the 'diamond' without breaking the thread?

Currently the only solution I can think of is to cut the diamond in half length ways, or a quarter, and crochet of it into the main white blanket background, and then do the other half/quarter.

I hope this makes sense and would really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Blanket design.jpg

20190323_021221.jpg

direction of stitch.png

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  You've put this in the right spot.

Have you ever heard of tapestry crochet?  It's colorwork that's done by working over 1 color for a few stitches, then switching and working over the other color for a few.  There is a little show-thru of the worked over color, which gives it a bit of a woven look hence the tapestry name.  There is a great resource here.  Note that it's usually done with SC, but it works with DC too.

Were you going to do the whole blanket in basketweave, or just in the center?  Just be aware that post stitches are yarn eaters.  You might have to do some swatching (make a little diamond or plus-sign maybe) because of the height difference between post stitches and plain stitches around them, if that's what you're thinking, to keep it flat.  You might have to make the basketweave part in triples or maybe extended doubles (US terms).  Also a swatch wouldn't hurt to work out the Tapestry thing, especially shaping the indents and protrusions of the shape to best hide the transitions.

Archived