Baby bootie pattern help

mdkb904

Question

I need help understand this pattern can someone please help me. Here is the pattern. Bottom of the bootie - bootie is made crocheting in the back loops ONLY throughout to make ridges.
Ch 27
ROW 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch 1, turn (26sc)
ROW 2: Sc in each sc across row (26 sc), ch 1, turn. ROW 3-8: repeat row 2, except on row 8, don't ch 1 at the end, just turn.
ROW 9 (forms the top of bootie): sl st in the first 5 sts, ch 1 (counts as one sc), and make 1 sc in the same st, sc in the next few sts leaving the last 4 sts unworked. Chain 1, turn
 ROW10-16:scineachscacross,ch1ateachendofrow, donotchain1atendoflastrow. (for the last 2 rows you can change colors if you wish)
End off. Thanks in advance for the help 

5 answers to this question

Could you post a link if this is a free pattern, or the source if it's a purchased one (example, Etsy page, or 'ABC Slipper, XYZ magazine or book' etc.  Sometimes it helps to look at a photo of the finished thing to figure out what the pattern is telling you.  Is there a diagram?

Row 1-8 makes sense, right? A rectangle 26 stitches long and 8 rows high. 

Row 9 is a bit vague (a few stitches--really?)  If you have 26, then slst across 5 that leaves 21, and if you need to leave the last 4 unworked, 21-4= 17 sc in the middle, plus 1 chain that counts as a sc.  (so you have 4 'empty' stitches on each end, since there is a chain 'sprouting' from the 5th slst that counts as a stitch)

Row 10-16 is working back and forth across the 18 sc.  You have 8 rows 26 stitches across, and 7 rows of 18 stitches that are centered in the middle of the earlier rows.  I won't try to guess how this fits into becoming a bootie, there are all sorts of schemes to make them--that's why a pic might help make sense of it.

Archived