Help Decreasing??

Keegan1427

Question

I've been having some trouble with decreasing and I was hoping someone could help me. I know how to do a decrease I'm just not sure what the actual pattern for it should be in this case (ex, SC 3, dc1, SC 3, dc1)

20190314_114900.thumb.jpg.f910985eba62ae760a0a68434dabd434.jpg

I make sweaters for dogs but when it comes time to decrease the garment near the shoulders/neck I end up with this ruffle/wavy look that really bugs me. Is there a certain decrease to do? I'll attach some pics so you know what I mean.

1 answer to this question

It looks 'not wrong' to me, assuming the total stitch count is correct.  You're going to get some degree of pucker like that.  Really the only decreases I know (to turn two stitches into one) is (1) making half a stitch in 1 stitch, half a stitch in the next stitch, then pulling thru the remaining 3 loops, or (2) skipping a stitch, which would leave a little hole.

Is the decrease now done all in 1 row? If so, and assuming it won't affect the fit on the dog, possibly spreading the total # of the increases over 2 rows, maybe 1/3 on the penultimate round and 2/3 on the last round might smooth the pucker (at least it's not a huge number of stitches to rip out and experiment with).  Edit--if you spread the decreases over 2 rows, you'd want to stagger them, not put one decrease on top of the other.

Another thought that occurred to me when I was typing the first paragraph...maybe skipping a stitch instead of making 2 into 1 might improve the pucker--it would remove a little bit of fabric, so the stitches on either side of the skipped stitch would be shoved closer together.  You'd have little holes, but it might be a smoother transition/less puckery, and the holes could be a design feature.  If you sew, it would be like 'grading the seam', sort of (taking extra fabric out of a seam to make something lay flatter).

Normally you'd want to distribute increases or decreases evenly around, unless you need more or less fabric in 1 spot (bustline for example).  I'm not sure of the math for your project, but if you need to decrease 1/5th of the stitches,  what you typed would be right I'm guessing you meant 'dec' instead of 'dc'--so over 5 stitches, the 4th &  5th  are combined into 1.  Or if you want to try to skip a stitch instead, sc 4, skip 1.

Archived