Chain help

Curls71085

Question

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Do you have a pattern in mind, or are you thinking of just making a 'plain stitch' blanket, all DC for example?

The thing is, everybody has a slightly different stitch tension so that's 1 variable, and another variable is which yarn weight you are thinking of using, and with what hook.  

One neat trick with crochet is that you can make a chain a little longer than you think you need, turn and work back, and stop where it 'looks right' or when you get the count the pattern calls for.  I always count chains, but if it's over 100 I'll throw in a few more just in case...so irritating to work back across 100+ chains and finding yourself 1 short.  Crochet will not unravel from the tail end, but you can pick out the chain with not too much trouble.  

Here is a guide for different sized baby blankets (receiving, swaddle, crib) https://www.care.com/c/stories/4538/how-to-pick-the-right-baby-blanket-size/  I don't have any kids so don't know what size is most useful, but when I make baby blankets for gits I make them crib blanket size.

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!

Do you have a pattern in mind, or are you thinking of just making a 'plain stitch' blanket, all DC for example?

The thing is, everybody has a slightly different stitch tension so that's 1 variable, and another variable is which yarn weight you are thinking of using, and with what hook.  

One neat trick with crochet is that you can make a chain a little longer than you think you need, turn and work back, and stop where it 'looks right' or when you get the count the pattern calls for.  I always count chains, but if it's over 100 I'll throw in a few more just in case...so irritating to work back across 100+ chains and finding yourself 1 short.  Crochet will not unravel from the tail end, but you can pick out the chain with not too much trouble.  

Here is a guide for different sized baby blankets (receiving, swaddle, crib) https://www.care.com/c/stories/4538/how-to-pick-the-right-baby-blanket-size/  I don't have any kids so don't know what size is most useful, but when I make baby blankets for gits I make them crib blanket size.

Thanks for the info.  I am crocheing a grahpgan and the original pattern is for 50 chains.  I started it and felt like it was to big so I changed it to 120 chains and tried to customize the design with 120 chains 

Archived