Help with a pattern!

calie

Question

Hello!

I need help with this pattern. I am doing the cardigan and I've done up to the part where it says "mark last row". I'm really lost at this next part: 

"Right Front: Next row: (RS). Ss in each of first 2 sts. Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc). Pat across 21 (22) sts. Turn. 22 (23) sts. Leave rem sts unworked." 

So I've finished the second row and turned. Am I supposed to do the Ss over the first 2 dcs to start a new row? and then?  I attached the file so that you can take a look.

I really appreciate your help!

BRC0238-005664M.pdf

6 answers to this question

The best patterns for tops are ones with schematics and this has one (page 5).  

So, you have done the part from the bottom hem to the underarms, which comprises the bottom of the left front, back, right front..  Now, it will sprout 3 separate sections: the armhole to neck sections of left front, back, right front.  The slits between the sections are the armholes, where you'll be sewing the sleeves into later.  Each of the 3 sections will be worked one at a time & finished off at the shoulder/neck, then you'll reattach the yarn at the designated spot and start the next section.

Trust the directions.  The open side of the right front (the sides of the original rectangle you made for the bottom part) will be decreasing for the V neck shaping, the other side will be a straight line for the armhole.

Crochet stitches look different front and back.  I believe when it said "mark last row" of the bottom section, it meant to mark the back side of the fabric, because (1) it's obvious where the last row is without the marker, even with the top 3 sections completed it's the row under the armholes (2) the first row of the first side is the front -- the other pieces say to start 'with right side facing', so to keep the stitches looking consistent, the last row of the bottom long section has to be the the back side.

This is a bit verbose and SOUNDS a lot more complicated than it is, but I think the schematic pic should help a lot.

Thank you very much! I have a question since I'm not very experienced... where it says "Pat across 21 (22) sts" what pattern should I be following? Before, the pattern was row 2 and 3 but now if it's only one row, I'm not sure what pattern they are referring to. So I really don't know what stitches to do after the "Ss in each of first 2 sts. Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc)"... I'd really appreciate if you could guide me some more...  Should I do row 2 again or start by row 3 since I last did row 2 or do I just have to repeat "Ss in each of first 2 sts. Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc)" over and over again? I am a bit confused.

You're welcome!

So, orienting myself... rows 2 and 3 are the pattern stitch, and are basically the same (3 DC, skip 1, ch1, repeat) except with the chain spaces in alternating spots (over the middle of the 3 DCs from the row below).  The last row of the bottom part before you start to make the right front section was a 'row 2' pattern row, so the first row of the right front should be a row 3 row, to line it up so it fits over the row below to keep the pattern lining up the same as the section below.  Does that make sense?  If, because of the shaping at the neck, a 'chain 1 skip 1' was within the first 3 stitches of the front edge, I'd sub a DC instead - you want the front edge of a jacket to be sturdy and solid, you don't need to be a slave to the stitch pattern in a case like this.  Maybe within 3 stitches from either edge, come to think of it, as sleeve seams are a garment stress point too.

Hello! can you please help me with another question ? when it says  "Pat across 21 (22) sts" how do I count the stitches. Do I count only the DCs (22 sts=22DCs?) or do I also count the spaces with the ch-1? I have done the 22 sts but it is not a lot... it doesn't look as if that is all of the right side... I appreciate your help.

Archived