Comparable yarn

loriko

Question

Hello...With being very new to the crochet world, I did not buy enough yarn to do a temperature blanket.  Little did I know that that particular color would be the one I needed the most.  So with all of that said, could I please get some help in finding some comparable yarn brands to Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn!.  I have no idea how many more skeins I will need, but I do know that I will need more than 1.  I am doing a c2c and am still learning how to figure things out in the crochet world.  I have been quilting for the last 17 years, working in a quilt store for 10 1/2 of those years and crocheting maybe a couple times during the last 4 years.  Making 5 baby blankets using the hdc.  So again, I know that I do not have enough yarn of the HL I Love This Yarn! and will need to substitute with another brand as the company has discounted I believe the color that I need.   Thank you all for your time.

6 answers to this question

If you have another yarn store near you, take a sample of the yarn you need with you, and just compare it to the yarn they sell.  That way, you can feel the texture and weight of the yarn, along with the closest color.

Agree with Avon Lady.  Since this is going to be a crazy cacophony of colors, you should be able to get a way with 'not quite matching' shades a lot better than most other projects.  It's harder to see a mismatch if there are other colors between the old and new skeins.

Consider switching between old and new skeins a few times until the old was used up, as well.  This is a technique I've seen suggested for transitioning dye lots in knitting when you are knitting with all the same color (I knit too, but I've never tried it).

This just occurred to me...temperature blankets are usually short stitches (like SC, or knit stockinette), as you need 365 rows.  C2C blankets patterns I've seen are typically done in tall DC stitches.  How big is your blanket now, along 1 side, with only 2 months done?  how big will it be if you multiply that measurement by 6 (for a full year)?  I did some math with my gauge and measuring/extrapolating a few rows of straight DC in RHSS, which isn't your gauge or exactly the right stitch pattern or yarn brand (but I'm assuming you're using the same weight) -- I came up with 17 feet.  Yikes.  You might want to re-think this, no wonder you're out of yarn already.

Thank you for your kind suggestions. I appreciate this group and how everyone is so willing to help.   I am actually following a pattern that I found online for the c2c that i discovered about a month ago.  I didn't purchase enough yarn because I had actually bought the yarn a couple years back with no stitch in mind.  I just didn't realize when I found a stitch that I wanted to do, that that particular yarn would be the one most used.  I am taking very careful notes so when I choose this again, I will have a better knowledge of how much yarn to buy.  Like buy at least 2 of each color that I want to use and not just two of some.  Oh well, a learning process.  I was just hoping that some of you more seasoned yarn people might know of a good comparison.  Thank you all for your time.

This is probably too late to add, but if you are also comfortable with yarn trading, you may visit Ravelry and type in the name of the yarn. Sometimes it would show up that people have the yarn in their stash and may wish to trade/sell it from their collection. 

Alternatively, there is a website called Yarnsub 

https://yarnsub.com/ 

It can tell you for the most part, if the yarn is common, which product one can substitute it with. Just punch in the yarn brand & name, you will get the results. 

Cheers

Archived