Foundation chain too tight?

Mel30

Question

I’m trying to make a dress and it seems a bit gathered at the neck. Is my foundation chain too tight? Should I start again or will it be ok? (Hoping it will be ok). Also attached is what it’s meant to look like. 

B484E815-1C66-4D69-85F2-70EDDF8AE340.jpeg

C8950D28-8E61-4713-81B5-DB08E7B7FB02.jpeg

4 answers to this question

Is this for you?  Or do you have the intended recipient handy?  Will it go over (whoever's) head?  Or, if you have a tailor's tape, measure the circumference--head sizes by age here>  http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html

Do you have the right number of stitches around - it looks a bit ruffled, but it might just be the way it's sitting.  If you fold it in half, do the shoulders appear to be at the same angle as the dress on the hanger?

Starting with a foundation sc as the first row might help (counts as  chain and first row), or chaining with a bigger hook.

It’s for my daughter. I checked it goes around her neck. I didn’t check over her head, but it has buttons  at the back. 

The stitches are correct. I agree it looks ruffled. I thought it’s because my initial chain was too tight. 

Folded in half the edges sort of point up. Does that mean it’s wrong? 

9F09D81B-2522-4B5A-9DE5-818B287A329A.jpeg

The neck line/collar looks good to me. (sometimes folding it in half makes a difference) 😉 The pattern image looks to have a little gathering at the beginning too. Blocking might help, but the weight of the dress itself should also smooth everything out. 

Archived