Hi I'm Cathy and I need help

Hi  and Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

It looks like Mary Maxim Starlite Sparkle.  You might get more suggestions on the yarn in the General Crochet Help.

Hi Kathy and welcome! 

I'm a little confused by your questions.  The photo is of a machine manufactured trim, you want to make a scarf but 'don't know how to work it'.  Are you asking for a crochet pattern that looks similar to the photo?

You also said 'you have some' of a presumably similar yarn to the manufactured piece.  I'm guessing since you are asking what sort of yarn it is, that you don't have the label any more.  Unfortunately a LOT of yarn colors and styles come and go every few years, it's going to be hard to even guess what you might have.

One thing you might do is take some of the yarn and wrap it (so the strands are next to each other, but don't wind tightly enough to stretch it) around a ruler, between the 1" and 2" mark.  Count the number of strands.  This will tell you the wraps per inch, which will tell you the weight class of the yarn.  Here's a guide.  Assuming you have lost the label, you won't know the yardage; but you might be able to work stripes or similar using your yarn along with another new yarn of the same weight--probably in a contrast color, as you will never match the exact color/dye lot of your old yarn, even if you knew what it was.

Archived